Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Does anybody have a take on net neutrality?

Speaking of monopoly.

you see that sh1t all over the internet - a sure fire way to win Monopoly

there are only 40 houses in the game, stay at 4 houses and never convert to hotels.

eventually, the game will run out of houses :o

crazy, right?

Speaking of monopoly.

there are only 40 houses in the game, stay at 4 houses and never convert to hotels.

eventually, the game will devolve into a family brawl that will end only after blood is shed :o

crazy, right?

Speaking of monopoly.

eventually, the game will devolve into a family brawl that will end only after blood is shed :o

crazy, right?

:clap:

Weird it's been a whole day and my ISP hasn't come to my house tripled my bill and raped my dog.

Seems like all the guys here that actually work in IT think getting rid of NN is a bad thing, that should tell you something.

This.

As someone who works for multiple online retailers, our company has been talking about this for weeks.

We could still be considered a "small business" and compared to Amazon or Google Shop we could be looking at latency issues, higher costs for web hosting, server side issues occurring more frequently, etc.

Personally, I don't envision a situation where Twitter costs money per month. Google isnt going to charge you to search.However, I could see these sites adding more premium content that does cost money. The other way to go is to add more ad content to make additional revenue. Overlay commercial videos, more ad banners and such.

The ISPs are going to make good money off this. The host sites are the ones that risk financial hits. But, they will adjust, and in all likelihood Congress will erect (hehe) some skeleton framework that preserves the base rules of NN.

This.

As someone who works for multiple online retailers, our company has been talking about this for weeks.

We could still be considered a "small business" and compared to Amazon or Google Shop we could be looking at latency issues, higher costs for web hosting, server side issues occurring more frequently, etc.

Personally, I don't envision a situation where Twitter costs money per month. Google isnt going to charge you to search.However, I could see these sites adding more premium content that does cost money. The other way to go is to add more ad content to make additional revenue. Overlay commercial videos, more ad banners and such.

The ISPs are going to make good money off this. The host sites are the ones that risk financial hits. But, they will adjust, and in all likelihood Congress will erect (hehe) some skeleton framework that preserves the base rules of NN.

Yet this never happened in the 20+ years before NN.

AdWords, Facebook Ads, YouTube instream ads and all the other ads managers that are engrained into social networks or search engines either didnt exist or were in their early years before NN. Like someone said before we are still figuring this internet thing out.

AdWords, Facebook Ads, YouTube instream ads and all the other ads managers that are engrained into social networks or search engines either didnt exist or were in their early years before NN. Like someone said before we are still figuring this internet thing out.

This.

Of course it didn't. The internet wasn't close to the animal it has become today 20 years ago. Hell...it hasn't in the past decade. Amazon started streaming services in 2011. HBO Go and Groupon came out in 2010. Digital payment services started up like Google Wallet, Apple Pay, etc.

This article breaks down by year increases in internet users over the last five years. Five.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/03/06/the-incredible-growth-of-the-internet-over-the-past-five-years-explained-in-detail/

• Internet users have grown by 82%, or almost 1.7 billion people, since January 2012. That translates to almost 1 million new users each day, or more than 10 new users every second;
  • More than 1.3 billion people started using social media – that’s a rise of 88% in just five years, and equates to more than 8 new users every second;
  • The number of mobile connections in use grew by a whopping 2.2 billion, meaning that operators activated a net average of almost 14 new subscriptions every second to deliver growth of 37%;
  • We’ve only been publishing mobile social media user numbers since January 2015, but users have grown by more than 50% in those two years alone. More than 864 million people have started using social platforms via a mobile device in the past 24 months, at a rate of almost 14 new users every second.

Ummm there were NN laws in place before it was called NN

More of a protocol than law, but don't waste your breath. I've been 'arguing' with him for awhile, and for every piece of information I provide, he responds with "nuh-uh!". He references "laws" that are on the books that make it illegal to do things like throttle speeds or sell preferential treatment (when the FCC chairman has blatantly stated that the latter is something that will now be allowed and will even be "good" for consumers), yet he has not provided a single piece of evidence to back his claims up.

What about them? There have been ads on the internet for a very long time.

Of course it didn't. The internet wasn't close to the animal it has become today 20 years ago. Hell...it hasn't in the past decade. Amazon started streaming services in 2011. HBO Go and Groupon came out in 2010. Digital payment services started up like Google Wallet, Apple Pay, etc.

This article breaks down by year increases in internet users over the last five years. Five.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/03/06/the-incredible-growth-of-the-internet-over-the-past-five-years-explained-in-detail/

Great... What's your point? People use the internet? Water is wet news at 11.

When ISPs throttled service before NN Law in 2015 what happened?

They got sued and had to change their practice. So yes there are NN laws in place to protect companies from ISPs.

Y'all pretend like the internet was invented in 2015. It wasn't and it florished with out the government oversight so many of you are demanding to be put in place.

• Like 1

Those who would give up essential Internet Liberty (no NN), to purchase a little temporary Internet Safety (NN), deserve neither Internet Liberty nor internet Safety.

We already have a Phurfur. Please pick a new gimmick.

Looks like our honorable conservatives were using some classic Chicago Democrat strategy to build their case that the public was against Net Neutrality...

http://www.pewinternet.org/2017/11/29/public-comments-to-the-federal-communications-commission-about-net-neutrality-contain-many-inaccuracies-and-duplicates/

Many submissions seemed to include false or misleading personal information. Some 57% of the comments utilized either duplicate email addresses or temporary email addresses created with the intention of being used for a short period of time and then discarded. In addition, many individual names appeared thousands of times in the submissions. As a result, it is often difficult to determine if any given comment came from a specific citizen or from an unknown person (or entity) submitting multiple comments using unverified names and email addresses.

There is clear evidence of organized campaigns to flood the comments with repeated messages. Of the 21.7 million comments posted, 6% were unique. The other 94% were submitted multiple times – in some cases, hundreds of thousands of times. In fact, the seven most-submitted comments (six of which argued against net neutrality regulations) comprise 38% of all the submissions over the four-month comment period.
Often, thousands of comments were submitted at precisely the same moment. On nine different occasions, more than 75,000 comments were submitted at the very same second – often including identical or highly similar comments. Three of these nine instances featured variations of a popular pro-net-neutrality message, while the others promoted several different anti-net-neutrality statements.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/more-dead-commenters-appear-come-144535412.html

Two more dead commenters have been spotted commenting on the FCC's foregone net neutrality vote, a small but not insignificant discovery considering that, while public outcry for net neutrality was high, FCC representatives dismissed most of supportive net neutrality commentary as spam.

While searching a database created by the New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, a designer named Morgan Knutson was outraged to find comments by his his liberal mother, Dana Barancik,, and grandfather, Frank Barancik. Dana died in 2014 and Frank died in 2015. Both were seemingly vehemently opposed to net neutrality last August.

tl;dr - Fake e-mail addresses, duplicate e-mail addresses, 37.5% of all comments consisting of the exact same text, and everyone's favorite, the complaints from beyond the grave (even Patty Duke made sure to login from the Great Beyond to express her opinions on NN!)

How do you know it was conservatives?

You have a point, the big corporations that stood to gain the most from NN's repeal could actually be liberals in disguise. Ajit Pai probably had nothing to do with it either.

You have a point, the big corporations that stood to gain the most from NN's repeal could actually be liberals in disguise. Ajit Pai probably had nothing to do with it either.

Snark noted. It's just that these telecom companies were laying out a lot of loot to the democrats too. It was almost down the middle. But nice try.

Snark noted. It's just that these telecom companies were laying out a lot of loot to the democrats too. It was almost down the middle. But nice try.

NN was put in under a Democratic president, was removed following a party line vote under Republicans, but yes I am sure that there was an underground liberal conspiracy to sabotage NN on behalf of the telecom companies. I'm pretty sure any democratic politicians who were getting money weren't spending their free time spamming thousands of fake comments on the FCC website.

NN was put in under a Democratic president, was removed following a party line vote under Republicans, but yes I am sure that there was an underground liberal conspiracy to sabotage NN on behalf of the telecom companies. I'm pretty sure any democratic politicians who were getting money weren't spending their free time spamming thousands of fake comments on the FCC website.

They paid for republicans to advocate for it and democrats to stay silent about it. Stick around youngn, I'll learn you some politics.

They paid for republicans to advocate for it and democrats to stay silent about it. Stick around youngn, I'll learn you some politics.

You can't even make sense with your arguments, let alone 'learn me' something. I suggested conservatives or someone they are backing was responsible for flooding the FCC with fake anti-NN comments (including ones from dead people) and you are talking about Democrats being paid to keep quiet. How does Democrats keeping quiet prove that I'm wrong about who was submitting those comments?

You can't even make sense with your arguments, let alone 'learn me' something. I suggested conservatives or someone they are backing was responsible for flooding the FCC with fake anti-NN comments (including ones from dead people) and you are talking about Democrats being paid to keep quiet. How does Democrats keeping quiet prove that I'm wrong about who was submitting those comments?

I'll explain it to you real slooooow. It wasn't a conservative or liberal thing. It was a money thing. Anyone could have been doing that dirt. Your basis for saying it was conservatives is that the head of the FCC was appointed by a republican. That doesn't mean both sides didn't have a role in it being done away with. Now put away your jump to conclusions mat. You don't know how to work it.

OMG! OMG! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

So how long does this fake outrage moment last? Are we going to have to deal with this now as well as the Trump/Russia hysteria we've had for the last 13 months? This is getting ridiculous. We've already had this compared to Nazis and Osama bin Laden so you know this was the right thing to do.

There is a great Mexican soap opera in this somewhere. So much drama from the usual suspects.

OMG! OMG! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

So how long does this fake outrage moment last? Are we going to have to deal with this now as well as the Trump/Russia hysteria we've had for the last 13 months? This is getting ridiculous. We've already had this compared to Nazis and Osama bin Laden so you know this was the right thing to do.

There is a great Mexican soap opera in this somewhere. So much drama from the usual suspects.

It's already died out. The snowflakes moved on to b1tching about people keeping the money they earn.

Also my ISP just burnt my house down and cut off my left leg while giving me the finger. They kept screaming how they could do anything they wanted now that NN is gone.

We're all living in a simulation now since NN killed us all years ago..

🤣🤣