Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2019 US Open Thread**

Steve Jones was kind of a shock, but only bcoz of what had happened to him. In '91 he suffered a horrible finger injury which kept him out of the game for damn near 4 years. When he came back he played with this freakish "double" overlap grip - almost a baseball grip really.. Before that Jones had won 4 times, including the AT&T at PB and the Canadian Open.. He was on his way to being a top player before the dirt bike accident.

But yes, PB lends itself to unsuspecting winners. There are 70 guys who could win this week.

Webb is 34 and also owns a Players title. He has the talent to reach double digits in wins for his career. If you figure guys with 10 wins are ripe to win a major, then Ogilivy is right there. 

1 minute ago, Fumbleweed said:

Webb is 34 and also owns a Players title. He has the talent to reach double digits in wins for his career. If you figure guys with 10 wins are ripe to win a major, then Ogilivy is right there. 

he has as many children as pga tour wins

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

he has as many children as pga tour wins

:lol:  :first:

I like the field this year.  A short hitter.  Matthew Fitzpatrick perhaps.

Is it my connection or does the live feed suck? Keeps locking up and rebooting. :dunno:

Please note:  Piercy is on my list of value plays! 

2 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Please note:  Piercy is on my list of value plays! 

Don't get too excited.. He's on my team - which means 78 is still possible today.

I hope you win it all with him.  I packed him into ~10 DK lineups. I'll be rich! 

1 hour ago, Kanil said:

I hope you win it all with him.  I packed him into ~10 DK lineups. I'll be rich! 

:pointstosky:

Didn't GMac win his lone US open at Pebble on Father's day :o

On 6/4/2019 at 2:15 PM, remote controller said:

I am on Justin Thomas for the US Open.  I think he has been tuning in for it.  He, DJ, and Brooks are my favorites in that order.  Spieth loses much of his strokes gained putting on these smallish greens and he can't buy a fairway.  Tiger shot his load already.  Furyk and Kooch will contend for 3 rounds then fall apart.  Lefy has the game if he could just contain himself and hit a few more fairways.  I agree , Adam Scott has been playing golf, but he just can' t get over.  Ricky leading the first round would not surprise me a bit. 

That last sentence was very savant like.  I am accepting congrats here.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:52 AM, bostonlager said:

Futures I like

Xander Schauffele +2500

Justin Thomas +2800

Rickie Fowler +2800

Tommy Fleetwood +3300

This guy looks pretty focking smart so far. 

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I'd really like to see Flower win it.

I too.  Just to shut everyone up about him not winning a major. 

The USGA didn't cave, that's retarded... Mother Nature happened.

I don't care where, or who,  you are - when you give these guys a short 7000 yard layout, with no wind, cloudy skies and 60* weather - they're gonna tear it up. The greens will dry out and the wind will kick up - the scores will come back by Sunday... I'd take -5 now and lik my chances. 

2nd Round Matchups

Fowler -115 over Xander

Fowler -130 over Jason Day

Fleetwood -140 over Sergio

Fleetwood -110 over Matsuyama

10 hours ago, Cruzer said:

The USGA didn't cave, that's retarded... Mother Nature happened.

I don't care where, or who,  you are - when you give these guys a short 7000 yard layout, with no wind, cloudy skies and 60* weather - they're gonna tear it up. The greens will dry out and the wind will kick up - the scores will come back by Sunday... I'd take -5 now and lik my chances. 

Yeah, Rose played his guts out yesterday, he could have shot 60 on many courses and escaped with a 65.  Woods played outstanding to -1.  It is super tough out there.  I wouldn't be surprised if everyone goes over from here on out.

47 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah, Rose played his guts out yesterday, he could have shot 60 on many courses and escaped with a 65.  Woods played outstanding to -1.  It is super tough out there.  I wouldn't be surprised if everyone goes over from here on out.

Then again, if it keeps raining - PB isn't going to have much defense.

2 things dry out golf courses/greens = wind and sun. In concert, those two can make a course nasty - rapidly. But we just might not see that this week - it's the risk you take when hosting a US Open on that part of the West coast... I still think the USGA has got a handle on this and I still think they've done a great job in setting this venue up. This is no Erin Hills, which they did royally screw up - this is PB, and she will show some teeth by week's end.

My complaint about this tournament is like all things West Coast is the start times. I like the British open where I can wake up at 5:30 Sunday morning and watch the final round be wrapped up before noon and go about the rest of my day. This thing will likely end well after 10:00 eastern time Sunday. :thumbsdown:

15 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

My complaint about this tournament is like all things West Coast is the start times. I like the British open where I can wake up at 5:30 Sunday morning and watch the final round be wrapped up before noon and go about the rest of my day. This thing will likely end well after 10:00 eastern time Sunday. :thumbsdown:

Your biggest beef is my favorite thing.  I love Majors on the West Coast.  6-7 on Sundays isn't always the easiest time to watch.  It was great sitting there until 9:30 last night.

26 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Then again, if it keeps raining - PB isn't going to have much defense.

2 things dry out golf courses/greens = wind and sun. In concert, those two can make a course nasty - rapidly. But we just might not see that this week - it's the risk you take when hosting a US Open on that part of the West coast... I still think the USGA has got a handle on this and I still think they've done a great job in setting this venue up. This is no Erin Hills, which they did royally screw up - this is PB, and she will show some teeth by week's end.

Hard but fair.  No clown mouths and windmills. This is a clinic on what a great course should look like.

• Like 1

If that rough is easy, I don't ever want to golf on a tough course. 

Jordan is turning into a focking lil biitch. That crap he pulled with his caddy y-day was embarrassing.

Your caddy give you the yardage and a club suggestion. It's the player's ultimate call and responsibility to make adjustments and hit the shot.

9 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Jordan is turning into a focking lil biitch. That crap he pulled with his caddy y-day was embarrassing.

Your caddy give you the yardage and a club suggestion. It's the player's ultimate call and responsibility to make adjustments and hit the shot.

The caddy can't make him swing harder.  Both those balls were nuked.  Spieth had the adrenaline flowing.  In the end, he toughed it out and had a good round, despite his play.  He probably apologized later.

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The caddy can't make him swing harder.  Both those balls were nuked.  Spieth had the adrenaline flowing.  In the end, he toughed it out and had a good round, despite his play.  He probably apologized later.

His apology was half ass and in fact, not really apologetic at all - least not his public statement. He was basically still throwing Greller under the bus.

Maybe he sincerely apologized in private - but I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Did anyone check to see if he was hanging around DJ before his round? A case of the sniffies can give one a little boost in energy. 

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Did anyone check to see if he was hanging around DJ before his round? A case of the sniffies can give one a little boost in energy. 

DJ balances it out with energy saps.  Spieth, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

They are starting to go low. It's going to be a fun Saturday night. Go Kooch!

Would love to see him get the monkey off his back 

Pulling for Woodland/Kupta here. Hate when foreigners win our championship. 

How the heck does the television technology follow the flight path of the ball? They show the lines that represent the ball's flight and movement in real time. Or maybe it's not live?? 

12 minutes ago, sderk said:

How the heck does the television technology follow the flight path of the ball? They show the lines that represent the ball's flight and movement in real time. Or maybe it's not live?? 

I know I have at least a 3 second delay over my friends housein town. Maybe that’s when they do it on my tv.

You should not be able to spray it 20 yards off-line on your drives into "deep" rough and still be able to get it on the green from 150+ in a US Open. Multiple times. #notmyusopen

• Like 1