IGotWorms

Is it time to get out of the market?

4 minutes ago, BufordT said:

How long will it be until the market sets another record high?  I'm thinking 7-8 years. 

I think it will be 12-18 months from the end of the Coronavirus pandemic.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Depends on how low it goes.  It is at a 52 week low for many, but it was lower in December of 2018 for the Dow.  I think that the 12-18 months from the end of the pandemic is a reasonable hope.  

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Depends on how low it goes.  It is at a 52 week low for many, but it was lower in December of 2018 for the Dow.  I think that the 12-18 months from the end of the pandemic is a reasonable hope.  

Hope you guys are right.  The market was due for a correction anyway.  This seems like an artificial correction to me....yes...that's my own term, I think.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:37 AM, MTSkiBum said:

I have had 100% in cash for over a year. I am not buying now, i will wait until everything is under control.

I am wrong all the time, but I will throw out 18,000 as the bottom.

I will adjust that down to 16,000. I did not expect the market to tank this bad before the virus gets going.

10 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Hope you guys are right.  The market was due for a correction anyway.  This seems like an artificial correction to me....yes...that's my own term, I think.

I think the Coronavirus will act as “the correction” the market needed.  

When I say Coronavirus being over, I mean business are back up and running business as usual.   12-18 months from that point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I will adjust that down to 16,000. I did not expect the market to tank this bad before the virus gets going.

Perhaps dollar cost average into the market on the way down.  Put x in at 18500, x in at 17500 and on down.  You would hate to get to 16500 as a low and you never put any money to work.  Just an opinion to consider.

6 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Perhaps dollar cost average into the market on the way down.  Put x in at 18500, x in at 17500 and on down.  You would hate to get to 16500 as a low and you never put any money to work.  Just an opinion to consider.

I agree, I did not pull my money out on the top. I missed that by a little over a year. I will also miss the exact bottom as well. Does not worry me to much.  As long as i land in that general vicinity. However if a medical breakthrough, vaccine, etc is announced i will rush back in along with everyone else.

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Down 25% unless you day traded that focker.  I’m curious, what did you do?

Oh I'm not in on any of this I was just making an observation.. I saw it got hammered again today...

My retirement is down 20 percent since January though so I got that punishment going for me

How much is the s&p and Dow down from their all time highs? 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

How much is the s&p and Dow down from their all time highs? 

about 20 percent

All said and done, March is actually shaping up to be a great month for us.  

We’re not even halfway through the month and we’ve already beat last year’s sales.  

We signed a deal today to furnish tile for 3 new custom homes on the lake.  

2 of the houses have 6 bathrooms and the other has 7. 

Getting the vinyl for those basements and the carpet for the bedrooms should also be a layup.   Working up that proposal now.  

Coronavirus Schmaronavirus 

6 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

about 20 percent

It doesn’t feel like it. When you look up and see 23k it’s hard to get worked up. That’s just me. 

58 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It doesn’t feel like it. When you look up and see 23k it’s hard to get worked up. That’s just me. 

This isn't political in nature but half the gains in the market under Trump have been wiped out. It had been a pretty bad fall

2 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

This isn't political in nature but half the gains in the market under Trump have been wiped out. It had been a pretty bad fall

That’s enlightening.

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I don't day trade for a living and don't have the time or desire. I'm just in for the long hall on my one stock that is my place of employment. When I got the job in the early 2000s, I was buying in at a company 15% stock discount at around $17 a share. It's had its ups and downs over the years but I still bought twice a year, and it reached the $200's early this year even though it's falling quite a bit lately. I won't lie though, it hurts at this time. But I'll see it through.

Checks out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MCD+ticker&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS822US822&oq=MCD+ticker&aqs=chrome..69i57.1742j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active

DOW futures down 2% after Trumps speech.  I guess the hedge funds aren't impressed that Trump fell for the media hype.

1 minute ago, nobody said:

DOW futures down 2% after Trumps speech.  I guess the hedge funds aren't impressed that Trump fell for the media hype.

I expect a considerable  drop again tomorrow. No containment and nothing strong from Trump. 

• Like 1

Futures are now down 5% in the 4 minutes since I posted that they were down 2%.

By the way +/-5% is the most the futures can trade.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I expect a considerable  drop again tomorrow. No containment and nothing strong from Trump. 

This.

5 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Buy!

Even my aggressive ass isn’t doing that. I am sitting on cash for a couple weeks minimum. I might buy gold.

5 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Even my aggressive ass isn’t doing that. I am sitting on cash for a couple weeks minimum. I might buy gold.

It might not be the bottom yet but you can still reduce your pps. I've been waiting for KO to drop for a year. Never happens. It just steadily climbs. I might scoop up some shares on this dip. I don't see it dropping much further. 

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

It might not be the bottom yet but you can still reduce your pps. I've been waiting for KO to drop for a year. Never happens. It just steadily climbs. I might scoop up some shares on this dip. I don't see it dropping much further. 

I thought that earlier today and then - NBA suspends season, March Madness with no fans, Trump wishwash speech, etc. 

Floor is much closer to 20000 for Dow. I may go more NASDAQ to tap into remote economy 

All these people are staying at home because of the media

They're not buying anything because they're at home

Businesses lose money because no one is buying their crap

Risk of default increases because small businesses aren't making money

Big corporations miss earnings expectations because no one is spending

Stock market goes down

It'll take at least two quarters to shake all of this out of the market

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No shocker here I go to my retirement to change my asset allocations and it is an error page

9 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I thought that earlier today and then - NBA suspends season, March Madness with no fans, Trump wishwash speech, etc. 

Floor is much closer to 20000 for Dow. I may go more NASDAQ to tap into remote economy 

Its time. I expect it to drop to below 15k. BUT I also think Trump will suspend trading at around 19k. The fed will drop rates again before he reopens it and it will shoot back up.

24 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Its time. I expect it to drop to below 15k. BUT I also think Trump will suspend trading at around 19k. The fed will drop rates again before he reopens it and it will shoot back up.

You think that will happen today?  That would be an epic collapse.  If it gets to 20k, that is something like a 15% drop in one day.  

2 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

I had a couple K in cash sitting in my E*Trade account. I bought some specific stocks yesterday thinking I could time the market.  Down 6% so far. 

Just wait for the tank happening in a couple of hours.  

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You think that will happen today?  That would be an epic collapse.  If it gets to 20k, that is something like a 15% drop in one day.  

Today? I doubt it. But it could happen this week. Will certainly get there next week. We have entire industries shut down. Some intentional some not. 

6 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Anyone else down about -$80,000?

I wonder how this snafu fits into your projections from last year when making money was easy.....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Today? I doubt it. But it could happen this week. Will certainly get there next week. We have entire industries shut down. Some intentional some not. 

Ok.  I am with you that we are not at the bottom and today won't be it.  I definitely don't know what the floor is, but it feels like we are in for a very bumpy ride for the next 2-3 months (or more). 

15 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Just wait for the tank happening in a couple of hours.  

Meh. I picked pretty distressed stocks. I’m playing the long game. 

55 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Ok.  I am with you that we are not at the bottom and today won't be it.  I definitely don't know what the floor is, but it feels like we are in for a very bumpy ride for the next 2-3 months (or more). 

That is why I predict Trump will suspend trading.  The impact to the economy is completely out of anyone's hands.  It's 20 different kinds of hysteria.  We shouldn't be trading with so many industries grounded to a halt. 

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

That is why I predict Trump will suspend trading.  The impact to the economy is completely out of anyone's hands.  It's 20 different kinds of hysteria.  We shouldn't be trading with so many industries grounded to a halt. 

That’s not Trumps call.  But there are auto stops when it falls too fast. 

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

My opinion is that dropping the interest rates will not help though, that was shown a few days ago with the half point cut. Cutting rates would only remove what little options the fed has to help the economy if unemployment starts increasing later this year or in the future.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Dropping the interest rates will not help though, that was shown a few days ago with the half point cut. Cutting rates would only remove what little options the fed has to help the economy if unemployment starts increasing later this year or in the future.

I agree 100%. There will be no drop right now, it would be a waste.  A drop will come at a time when sanity is back in control in order to spur movement of money.  It will come.