IGotWorms

Is it time to get out of the market?

My paper trading account on webull is down 27%

They give you a million to start and I'm losing it all 😂

16 hours ago, vuduchile said:

All said and done, March is actually shaping up to be a great month for us.  

We’re not even halfway through the month and we’ve already beat last year’s sales.  

We signed a deal today to furnish tile for 3 new custom homes on the lake.  

2 of the houses have 6 bathrooms and the other has 7. 

Getting the vinyl for those basements and the carpet for the bedrooms should also be a layup.   Working up that proposal now.  

Coronavirus Schmaronavirus 

I am a one person operation and do a tiny fraction of what you do.  Last year was great for online sales and so far this year I am up 40% over last year and 50% in March.  Even without the virus i am sure I can not keep up at anywhere near this pace because the end of last year was really good but I have not seen a slowdown and the last few days have been some of the best of the year.  It is really strange.   Factor in the market though and it is a bad year but I am in for the long so I am not even looking at my investment accounts.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:45 AM, edjr said:

My stock (Callaway) that has gone up 60% since I bought it, is upside down in one week :cry:

even crypto has shite the bed too

Should have went with Taylor Made

We're focked.    So much for retirement.  :wall:

It's like a  golf tournament, you can't win on the 1st day, but you sure can lose it :wall:

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

That is why I predict Trump will suspend trading.  The impact to the economy is completely out of anyone's hands.  It's 20 different kinds of hysteria.  We shouldn't be trading with so many industries grounded to a halt. 

If the government ever set that precedent it would indicate that free market is over and it's actively and publicly manipulated.  

Can someone have Worms change the title of this thread to "Is it time to get IN TO the market?" 

5 minutes ago, nobody said:

If the government ever set that precedent it would indicate that free market is over and it's actively and publicly manipulated.  

Not to mention the people that shorted the market.  They would have a legit gripe. 

25 minutes ago, nobody said:

This statement is as much gloom and doom as the Coronavirus.  Not surprising from you.  The NYSE has shut down on many occasions and it is certainly within the President's purview to "request" they do so now.  

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Can someone have Worms change the title of this thread to "Is it time to get IN TO the market?" 

This.... almost pushed the button today... just don't think its quite ready...

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I am a one person operation and do a tiny fraction of what you do.  Last year was great for online sales and so far this year I am up 40% over last year and 50% in March.  Even without the virus i am sure I can not keep up at anywhere near this pace because the end of last year was really good but I have not seen a slowdown and the last few days have been some of the best of the year.  It is really strange.   Factor in the market though and it is a bad year but I am in for the long so I am not even looking at my investment accounts.

Yeah. Other than the occasional fb post, I don't see much panic here locally.  I suppose that will all change as soon as someone in the community gets it.  Meanwhile, I have installers in the field, customers coming in, deliveries arriving on time, etc.  

The supply chain is somewhat disrupted, but it's not a huge deal for us yet.  I'm guessing the Airlines will be lining up for bailouts once this is all said and done.  Clearly, tourist destinations will take a huge hit for at least the next month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

The NYSE has shut down on many occasions and it is certainly within the President's purview to "request" they do so now.  

I hope he does not.  The market will take care of itself over time.  Politicians need to stay out of it and let Wallstreet govern itself.   People that need their money soon should not have a lot of their money in stocks.  Everyone else will be fine over time. 

10 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I hope he does not.  The market will take care of itself over time.  Politicians need to stay out of it and let Wallstreet govern itself.   People that need their money soon should not have a lot of their money in stocks.  Everyone else will be fine over time. 

Bill, I hear everyone, I just disagree.  This is not a normal situation of a bubble or speculation.  Certain industries, through no control of their own, are decimated. Bankruptcy and massive layoffs decimated. It isn't just about the market.  It will recover.

4 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Moved 40% of my cash into the S&P.  Hoping for a bounce and then right back out.  

Thought about doing something similar, but I'm in the process of purchasing a new home and can't run the risk right now.  :mad:

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Thought about doing something similar, but I'm in the process of purchasing a new home and can't run the risk right now.  :mad:

I’m actually canceling the exchange. Not worth the risk - It’s not the bottom.

I'm currently buying falling stocks at an alarming rate with the hopes of making some nice cash next year.

REM: Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine. 

If there ends up being another drop tomorrow of 6-7%, I might start doing some staged buying, but I still think that we have more drops in our future.  I already have the Dow areas covered, but want to get into some more NASDAQ in this portfolio. Overall, I have a bunch of tech and biotech, but not in this part of my portfolio.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah. Other than the occasional fb post, I don't see much panic here locally.  I suppose that will all change as soon as someone in the community gets it.  Meanwhile, I have installers in the field, customers coming in, deliveries arriving on time, etc.  

The supply chain is somewhat disrupted, but it's not a huge deal for us yet.  I'm guessing the Airlines will be lining up for bailouts once this is all said and done.  Clearly, tourist destinations will take a huge hit for at least the next month.

I set up at two big fossil shows a year and one is this weekend in Tampa.  I would have left by now but I keep waiting to see if they will cancel it.  I kind of hoped so I would just stay here and dive and load up the site.   I am afraid nobody will show up if they have it but my two largest wholesale customers will be there either way.   I had front row tickets to Art Garfunkel this weekend in Tampa but he canceled.  I bought my tix from a 3rd party site so i am not sure how or if I get me $500 back. 

• Like 1

so is the fed basically powerless against this? They already tried a major package to prop us up and its back to where we were already 

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

so is the fed basically powerless against this? They already tried a major package to prop us up and its back to where we were already 

That’s why I am not buying in now.  I got excited at the slight mo e upwards on the news.  When the market started lower again I cancelled the buy.

15 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I set up at two big fossil shows a year and one is this weekend in Tampa.  I would have left by now but I keep waiting to see if they will cancel it.  I kind of hoped so I would just stay here and dive and load up the site.   I am afraid nobody will show up if they have it but my two largest wholesale customers will be there either way.   I had front row tickets to Art Garfunkel this weekend in Tampa but he canceled.  I bought my tix from a 3rd party site so i am not sure how or if I get me $500 back. 

Either way, you can listen to the sounds of silence. :dunno:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, frank said:

Either way, you can listen to the sounds of silence. :dunno:

With his old friend Darkness. :dunno:

36 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Ugh.  I've heard some of those third party sites can be tough to deal with.  Best of luck.  

My current situation is similar to yours.  The big Chicago area card show is this weekend, but I've already decided not to go.  I'm in the market for graded Mantle cards so I prefer to see them in person.  This would have been my best chance to see several in one shot this year.  I'm sure more than half the dealers I want to see won't show.  There has been no official word yet, but I'm betting they pull the plug.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go just to meet with your two large wholesale customers.  

No real surprise today.  We are in a bit of a free-fall.  I will wait for NASDAQ to get below 6,000 and Dow to get to 17,500.  Tomorrow will be another sell off, but I don't think that it will drop as much as today.  

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

No real surprise today.  We are in a bit of a free-fall.  I will wait for NASDAQ to get below 6,000 and Dow to get to 17,500.  Tomorrow will be another sell off, but I don't think that it will drop as much as today.  

I dunno man.  March Madness just got canceled.  Feels very panicky to me.  I mean have any 18-22 year olds even died from this yet?  The market is not going to react well to all of these major event cancellations.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

I dunno man.  March Madness just got canceled.  Feels very panicky to me.  I mean have any 18-22 year olds even died from this yet?  The market is not going to react well to all of these major event cancellations.

It could signal a panic, but I would think that people assumed that would happen after last night's events.  :dunno:

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It could signal a panic, but I would think that people assumed that would happen after last night's events.  :dunno:

Maybe, or all the conference tourneys getting canceled today.  We'll see.  I might pull the trigger on something if it gets down to 20k.  It was 29k just a few weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

It's not about the 18-22 year old.  It's about the 1000's of people the 18-22 year old come in contact with when they're not on a basketball court.

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

It's not about the 18-22 year old.  It's about the 1000's of people the 18-22 year old come in contact with when they're not on a basketball court.

They were going to have most of these tourneys without fans.  The coaches and refs can decide for themselves if they accept the risk, especially when none of the kids are known to have it.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

They were going to have most of these tourneys without fans.  The coaches and refs can decide for themselves if they accept the risk, especially when none of the kids are known to have it.

Again.  It's not about the coaches and the kids.  The coaches and the kids interact with society.  Society can't decide not to randomly get coughed on by some benchwarmer from Iona.

Just now, nobody said:

Again.  It's not about the coaches and the kids.  The coaches and the kids interact with society.  Society can't decide not to randomly get coughed on by some benchwarmer from Iona.

What are you talking about?   What "society"?  They were going to play in EMPTY arenas.  If you're talking about when they're not in those arenas, it's not like the kids are quarantined now.  They're interacting with society. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

What are you talking about?   What "society"?  They were going to play in EMPTY arenas.  If you're talking about when they're not in those arenas, it's not like the kids are quarantined now.  They're interacting with society. 

Do you realize that basketball players don't live on a basketball court?  They actually go outside and partake in society just like other people.

Why do you want to 1 guy who has it sweating and panting all over people who don't?  Who then go interact with 1000's of people.

Just now, nobody said:

Do you realize that basketball players don't live on a basketball court?  They actually go outside and partake in society just like other people.

Yup, and they do that whether they're participating in a basketball tournament or not.  Do you realize that those same people are partaking in society right now DESPITE their tournaments being canceled?  WTF is wrong with people on this bored today.  It's like logic is completely gone.  Does this virus make people's thought processes go to mush?

:wall:

The seems so obvious to me.  They're playing against people all over the country.  So now you're creating more hotspots when they go back home.  I thought that was obvious.  I guess not.

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Ugh.  I've heard some of those third party sites can be tough to deal with.  Best of luck.  

My current situation is similar to yours.  The big Chicago area card show is this weekend, but I've already decided not to go.  I'm in the market for graded Mantle cards so I prefer to see them in person.  This would have been my best chance to see several in one shot this year.  I'm sure more than half the dealers I want to see won't show.  There has been no official word yet, but I'm betting they pull the plug.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go just to meet with your two large wholesale customers.  

Plug pulled.  Another big Chicago event cancelled.  

On 3/12/2020 at 2:53 PM, vuduchile said:

That is what I ended up doing.  They canceled the show last minute.  The good thing was the two customers had nobody else to buy from so they bought stuff they normally would have passed on.  I probably did as well as if the show had happened and I am back home already.

• Like 1