Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Any of you lazy bastards have a Peloton or Nordic track bike?

Wife and I are thinking of getting one.

Didn't know if any of you elite athletes on here training for the tour de France had one you liked when you're not meal prepping at 3:00 a.m.. I hate all of you. :)

I’m saving up to buy a house with a giant room with floor to ceiling windows so I can overlook the mountains while cycling indoors. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m saving up to buy a house with a giant room with floor to ceiling windows so I can overlook the mountains while cycling indoors. 

I must have seen this here.

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Hah!  I opened this thread to post something similar!  :cheers:

Damn those commercials have some hot (and apparently super wealthy) chicks! 

I have a Schwinn.  Had it about 10 years so probably a bit outdated but it does the job.  And it's in the basement so no mountain views or crap like that.

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I don’t even know what those are 

You hang your clothes on them

• Thanks 2

I’m going to ask a stupid exercise question: Isn’t cycling much less efficient as exercise than running / jogging / walking in terms of burning calories at least? People who use the exercise bike - do you out the resistance way up or something?

We’ve got a Peloton. Wife loves it and uses it all the time. I use it every now and then. As an exercise bike it’s whatever. The advantage is the classes and such where celebrity spinners yell at you and whatnot. Plus you can track yourself against others and your own personal record. That competitive angle really adds something for my wife but I mostly think it’s dumb. Also you have to pay monthly for the content subscription and without it it’s basically just another lame workout bike. So in sum, I’d recommend it if the classes and competitive nature speaks to you otherwise I’d go with something more traditional and low-tech

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m going to ask a stupid exercise question: Isn’t cycling much less efficient as exercise than running / jogging / walking in terms of burning calories at least? People who use the exercise bike - do you out the resistance way up or something?

You do it more (for longer) and hard. It’s not super efficient but on the other hand it’s much less impactful on your body than running. Nobody ever ends up with shot knees from a stationary bike

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

We’ve got a Peloton. Wife loves it and uses it all the time. I use it every now and then. As an exercise bike it’s whatever. The advantage is the classes and such where celebrity spinners yell at you and whatnot. Plus you can track yourself against others and your own personal record. That competitive angle really adds something for my wife but I mostly think it’s dumb. Also you have to pay monthly for the content subscription and without it it’s basically just another lame workout bike. So in sum, I’d recommend it if the classes and competitive nature speaks to you otherwise I’d go with something more traditional and low-tech

Please elaborate on "celebrity spinners"... 

23 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You do it more (for longer) and hard. It’s not super efficient but on the other hand it’s much less impactful on your body than running. Nobody ever ends up with shot knees from a stationary bike

Makes sense. Any idea how many calories that burns by hour or so, roughly?

26 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You do it more (for longer) and hard. 

That’s what’s she said...

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I wanna say I’m around 450 whereas Uber competitive people may be closer to six or seven hundred

40 minutes ago, MDC said:

Yes and no

Cycling does not punish your body as much as running does. If you're a fat a3s, cycling is a great place to start. If for any other reason to save your knees. In general yes you up the resistance to make it more difficult. 

Running is the best exercise to burn calories, but running sucks. If a person is willing to ride a bike for 60 minutes vs running on a dreadmil for 15 minutes. Cycling is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Depends on how hard you go and the type of work out you are doing. HIIT vs sustain distance vs speed work etc...

You should take a spin class. They can be "fun" and you'll see how hard it is. 

I have a treadmill instead of a bike. The ProForm smart pro 9000.  It has the digital screen and subscription to iFit as well. Goes from 0 to 12 mph and from a -3 to 15% incline.

You burn more on a treadmill from what I read.  I got a super great deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. 

Otherwise I was thinking a building a $60,000 addition on to my house that would be all glass and the peloton would be right in the middle of the room on top of a pile of cash and all my neighbors could look at me while I cycle.  According to the commercials that's what you have to do in order to have a peloton.

27 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes and no

Cycling does not punish your body as much as running does. If you're a fat a3s, cycling is a great place to start. If for any other reason to save your knees. In general yes you up the resistance to make it more difficult. 

Running is the best exercise to burn calories, but running sucks. If a person is willing to ride a bike for 60 minutes vs running on a dreadmil for 15 minutes. Cycling is the way to go.

I’ve been walking on the treadmill for 4+ miles a few days a week on an incline / uphill. At close to 4 mph that takes slightly more than an hour and I burn around 800 calories per. 

I definitely feel that more than walking on a flat surface but less than jogging. Just curious if there’s any reason to bike versus what I’m doing now for cardio. I jog / run once a week and that’s enough.

29 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Depends on how hard you go and the type of work out you are doing. HIIT vs sustain distance vs speed work etc...

You should take a spin class. They can be "fun" and you'll see how hard it is. 

I don’t doubt it. I get to the gym 4-5 days per week and try to lift for 2 of them so I probably can’t fit in spinning. If I add anything it would be yoga or martial arts probably. I’m old and there are only so many hours of the day.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’ve been walking on the treadmill for 4+ miles a few days a week on an incline / uphill. At close to 4 mph that takes slightly more than an hour and I burn around 800 calories per. 

I definitely feel that more than walking on a flat surface but less than jogging. Just curious if there’s any reason to bike versus what I’m doing now for cardio. I jog / run once a week and that’s enough.

What is your incline percentage? Also at what speed do you walk? Is it exactly 4 mph?  I find that I can do about 3.6 mph to about 3.8 mph frisk walking. anything higher than 3.8 I usually end up having to start to jog.  And I'm 6'3" so I have a pretty big stride.

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

What is your incline percentage? Also at what speed do you walk? Is it exactly 4 mph?  I find that I can do about 3.6 mph to about 3.8 mph frisk walking. anything higher than 3.8 I usually end up having to start to jog.

On a LifeFitness treadmill I do 3.7/3.8 mph and an incline of 10.0. I weigh between 175-180 and that burns about 200 calories per mile / 800 per hour and 5-10 mins.

Just now, MDC said:

On a LifeFitness treadmill I do 3.7/3.8 mph and an incline of 10.0. I weigh between 175-180 and that burns about 200 calories per mile / 800 per hour and 5-10 mins.

And you do 4 miles in one session at a 10% incline? Wow. That's pretty impressive. Your legs muscles must be the size of tree trunks!  Good job!

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

And you do 4 miles in one session at a 10% incline? Wow. That's pretty impressive. Your legs muscles must be the size of tree trunks!  Good job!

Real tight ass too. :wub: 

I looked into both. Almost pulled the trigger too. Turns out, they don’t actually come with the hot chick from the commercial. :thumbsdown:

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I looked into both. Almost pulled the trigger too. Turns out, they don’t actually come with the hot chick from the commercial. :thumbsdown:

Is she an add-on option? 

Just now, Gladiators said:

Not that I could find. It’s horseshit

Bait and switch!!!!  Call the BBB! 

17 hours ago, MDC said:

LOL, it's funny, I said the same thing.  The very first time I saw that commercial, the setting jumped out at me.  I used my family as a experimental guinea pigs.  I remember that commercial coming on at Thanksgiving time and I asked a group of them (9 people), how much they think an exercise bike costs, not the cheap-o $200 types, but the better ones.  Everyone was between $800 and $1200.  I asked them if they know about the Peleton bike, and they said that they saw the commercial once or twice.  I told them that when the commercial comes on, that I want them to watch the commercial, but look at everything except the Peloton.  They were all confused at the time, but then after watching it, I asked them 1 simple question.  "Judging by everything you saw aside from the bike itself, how much do you think that Peloton costs"?  Everyone of them changed their guess to over $3500.  We googled the prices and their bikes ranged between $3500 and $5000.  That was 2 years ago.  I'm guessing the costs have gone down since though.  I've never checked.