Sign in to follow this  
Ratched: Netflix's prequel series to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" character...

https://tvline.com/2020/07/29/ratched-netflix-premiere-date-sarah-paulson/

The nurse will see you now soon.

Netflix has announced that Ratched — the Ryan Murphy/Ian Brennan-produced prequel series starring Murphy muse Sarah Paulson as the titular asylum nurse from hell — will premiere on Sept. 18. Season 1 will consist of eight episodes.

Inspired by the iconic One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest character, Ratched — which is set in 1947, 15 years before the events of the film — tells the origin story of asylum nurse Mildred Ratched, chronicling her evolution from fledgling nurse to full-blown villain.

The ensemble also includes Sharon Stone, Finn Wittrock, Sophie Okonedo, Vincent D’Onofrio, Jon Jon Briones, Charlie Carver, Judy Davis, Harriet Harris, Cynthia Nixon, Hunter Parrish, Amanda Plummer and Corey Stoll.

Netflix handed Ratched a two-season, straight-to-series order back in Sept. 2017.

Louise Fletcher won a Best Actress Oscar for playing Nurse Ratched in the 1975 film version of Cuckoo’s Nest, which starred Jack Nicholson as mental patient R.P. McMurphy.

“I identified very deeply with her loneliness,” Paulson told Vanity Fair of taking on the legendary character. “I think ultimately, at the end of the day, that is sort of what drives Mildred: a pursuit of survival and of finding some sense of home. Even though the methods that she chooses to achieve that internal security are somewhat questionable, I would argue that she’s doing them with a potentially selfish need, but a survival need nevertheless. Sort of an animal need that blinds her to the inappropriateness of some her actions.”

Never saw the movie, but I have heard that Fletcher's character was incredible in the movie...  I like AHS that Murphy does and I might give this a shot...

I’ve never seen OFOTCN. Serious gap in my viewing history. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I wonder if it is streaming somewhere??

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Never saw the movie, but I have heard that Fletcher's character was incredible in the movie...  I like AHS that Murphy does and I might give this a shot...

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I realize one of you is posty, but you really do need to watch this movie.  Top 3 Nicholson performance IMO.

Another example of ingenious hollywoood . Completely devoid of originality. Pass. 

20 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I realize one of you is posty, but you really do need to watch this movie.  Top 3 Nicholson performance IMO.

My wife tells me it’s great. It’s just one of those older movies I haven’t gotten around to yet. Maybe I’ll give it a go this weekend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Might be my favorite Nicholson performance and is in my top 10 movies of all time. Always felt that year they should have awarded the "Best Supporting Oscar" to the entire cast of inmates in that movie...as great as Fletcher and Jack are, that ensemble is equally as great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

My wife tells me it’s great. It’s just one of those older movies I haven’t gotten around to yet. Maybe I’ll give it a go this weekend.

If you find it streaming somewhere, let me know please...

24 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I will watch a movie if I have an interest in it...  Never had wanted to see this before, but I curious now...

Not streaming anywhere for free at the moment but there's like 6 places you can rent it from for between 3 and 4 bucks including AP and Redbox, fyi

1 hour ago, posty said:

https://tvline.com/2020/07/29/ratched-netflix-premiere-date-sarah-paulson/

The nurse will see you now soon.

Netflix has announced that Ratched — the Ryan Murphy/Ian Brennan-produced prequel series starring Murphy muse Sarah Paulson as the titular asylum nurse from hell — will premiere on Sept. 18. Season 1 will consist of eight episodes.

Inspired by the iconic One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest character, Ratched — which is set in 1947, 15 years before the events of the film — tells the origin story of asylum nurse Mildred Ratched, chronicling her evolution from fledgling nurse to full-blown villain.

The ensemble also includes Sharon Stone, Finn Wittrock, Sophie Okonedo, Vincent D’Onofrio, Jon Jon Briones, Charlie Carver, Judy Davis, Harriet Harris, Cynthia Nixon, Hunter Parrish, Amanda Plummer and Corey Stoll.

Netflix handed Ratched a two-season, straight-to-series order back in Sept. 2017.

Louise Fletcher won a Best Actress Oscar for playing Nurse Ratched in the 1975 film version of Cuckoo’s Nest, which starred Jack Nicholson as mental patient R.P. McMurphy.

“I identified very deeply with her loneliness,” Paulson told Vanity Fair of taking on the legendary character. “I think ultimately, at the end of the day, that is sort of what drives Mildred: a pursuit of survival and of finding some sense of home. Even though the methods that she chooses to achieve that internal security are somewhat questionable, I would argue that she’s doing them with a potentially selfish need, but a survival need nevertheless. Sort of an animal need that blinds her to the inappropriateness of some her actions.”

Did they check enough "boxes"?  I noticed only 1 black person, 1 Asian, 1 gay guy, and 1 lesbian.  I mean, 5 straight white guys is a lot to have in a cast of 15 people.  I thought under the new guide lines that straight white men couldn't make up more than 10% of your cast.  I mean, even 11 of 15 straight white people is a really high number.  I'm checking in with my nearest SJW... even the two minorities are straight!!

Rather than typical mental patients, I really think Nurse Ratched would be great at working with gender dysphoria. It'd be worth stop pretending to be a woman in order to get transfered out of her ward.

And for those that never saw the movie and want to, it's not just Jack, that ward is filled with so many young unknown actors in bit roles that went on to successful careers: Christopher Lloyd, Danny DeVito, Scatman Crothers, Vincent Schiavelli and that freaky looking guy in all the horror movies off the top of my head.

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Rather than typical mental patients, I really think Nurse Ratched would be great at working with gender dysphoria. It'd be worth stop pretending to be a woman in order to get transfered out of her ward.

And for those that never saw the movie and want to, it's not just Jack, that ward is filled with so many young unknown actors in bit roles that went on to successful careers: Christopher Lloyd, Danny DeVito, Scatman Crothers, Vincent Schiavelli and that freaky looking guy in all the horror movies off the top of my head.

Michael Berryman

It's really an interesting look at how mental patients were "treated" back then.  The 70's was such a great decade for these types of movies.  Realistic, gritty, raw, no special effects.  Just a great story with great actors.  

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Y’all do know it was a novel first, by Ken Kesey, right?

Didn't know the author, but yes...

19 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Y’all do know it was a novel first, by Ken Kesey, right?

You do know Jaws was a novel first, by Peter Benchley?  So what’s your point? Look at me? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You do know Jaws was a novel first, by Peter Benchley?  So what’s your point? Look at me? 

My point is it’s an all time classic novel by a great author. Was also made into a great movie. So yeah, watch the movie but at least remember it was initially a novel. Maybe even read it.

Or, since most everyone already saw the movie, read Sometimes a Great Notion instead :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

My point is it’s an all time classic novel by a great author. Was also made into a great movie. So yeah, watch the movie but at least remember it was initially a novel. Maybe even read it.

Or, since most everyone already saw the movie, read Sometimes a Great Notion instead :thumbsup:

There are less dooshy ways to say that though.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

“The book was great too” would have worked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vuduchile said:

You new here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I am between books so I looked at my online library, they don't have it on audio...

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

sometimes a great notion was a good book

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posty said:

I am between books so I looked at my online library, they don't have it on audio...

I have the book, so if you give me your number, I could read it to you  

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

I have the book, so if you give me your number, I could read it to you  

:lol:

41 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

sometimes a great notion was a good book

One of my favorites :cheers:

On 7/30/2020 at 10:02 AM, vuduchile said:

It's really an interesting look at how mental patients were "treated" back then.  The 70's was such a great decade for these types of movies.  Realistic, gritty, raw, no special effects.  Just a great story with great actors.  

The World Series scene IMO is still one of the greatest ever.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, posty said:

If you find it streaming somewhere, let me know please...

On 7/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, MDC said:

Streaming on Netflix now. I'll watch it again.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

anyone watched the series yet? Haven’t gotten around to it but I’m curious as to if it’s any good 

This is potentially pretty awesome. I don't use Netflix, it wasn't around in 2001 when I left and one of the perks of living in China is the rampant piracy, but done right, this could be interesting and go a long way towards curing me of my Cuties rage.

Don't get me wrong, I am still pissed about Cuties, but OFOTCN was an awesome movie with a lot of unheralded no-name actors whose names we all know now such that we couldn't afford to pay them all to to take minor rolls to be in one film anymore,  and revisiting the Ratched character would be very compelling to see. It's just the sort of catnip Netflix would need to win me back if I were a paying customer, which I am not.

6 episodes in. I would call it solid. Nothing special, but solid. 

The Last Detail...1973

Another great nicholson movie.   Most havent seen it.  He is great in it.  

On 7/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Did they check enough "boxes"?  I noticed only 1 black person, 1 Asian, 1 gay guy, and 1 lesbian.  I mean, 5 straight white guys is a lot to have in a cast of 15 people.  I thought under the new guide lines that straight white men couldn't make up more than 10% of your cast.  I mean, even 11 of 15 straight white people is a really high number.  I'm checking in with my nearest SJW... even the two minorities are straight!!

There isn't 5 straight guys in all of Hollywood. 

6 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

There isn't 5 straight guys in all of Hollywood. 

You're probably right, but I just went with the knowledge that those 5 were married to a woman.