Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LoOnAtIk

Buy Low: Cam Akers

Recommended Posts

Have him and Henderson. The problem with both of them is I don’t see M Brown not getting the goal line and McVey loves to do the end around or throw down there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t trust starting any of the three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TimHauck said:

bump?  Looks like Akers showed a little sign of life this weekend

You mean on his bye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 12:50 PM, jrokh said:

The trade value charts don't even have Akers (as of yet) listed as a value, meaning he is worth a waiver-type player/end of bench guy.

I agree but Akers could probably be had for some magic beans and the value charts just react.  The kid was pretty good in college and the Rams picked him pretty early in 2020.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams RB Darrell Henderson (quad) practiced Thursday and will play in Week 10 against the Seahawks. 

Rams head coach Sean McVay confirmed Henderson would suit up. Henderson left Week 8's game against the Dolphins with the injury after eight rushing attempts. Henderson had at least 14 carries in three games before exiting the game against Miami. He should continue to operate as LA's lead back against Seattle. 

Nov 12, 2020, 3:22 PM ET
  •  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might still have a chance to buy low but the price is definitely going up. Could’ve had him for practically nothing a few days ago. It’s only a matter of time before he’s the top dawg of the RBBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the price isn't going up after 10 carries for 38 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nobody said:

Pretty sure the price isn't going up after 10 carries for 38 yards.

I agree. I had to use Henderson today. Was lucky that he got one of the TD's

Maybe we're missing something ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a 3 way committee. Don’t trust any of them if their all healthy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nobody said:

Pretty sure the price isn't going up after 10 carries for 38 yards.

Been saying he’s trending towards top dawg of the RBBC. This week it’s 10 carries, next week possibly more. Once the breakout game comes you’ll see Henderson and Brown begin to get phased out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

I agree. I had to use Henderson today. Was lucky that he got one of the TD's

Maybe we're missing something ?

 

Clearly no one understands the point of “Buying low”

 

Whats the point of this entire thread if he’s already the starter or after his supposed break out game.

 

I purposely started this thread before he breaks out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He scored the least about of ff points, he’s avg 4 points per game non ppr, he has two targets in the passing, has scored zero tds, and today he touched the ball two or so more times then Henderson and M Brown, bad recorded the lowest per rush avg of the three.  

Nothing to see here.  

And if you are so blessed to own Akers, first why do you still have him rostered ? and if you do still own him, it’s going to take more then a buy low for a player that’s only worth a buy low,to buy him from the owner that as kept him rostered this whole season, with there C Akers laying on top of ones hope chest, he’s been available, oh my soul I would say since week 4-5 in my non ppr 14 team , and no one can nor would trust picking him up and starting him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, weepaws said:

He scored the least about of ff points, he’s avg 4 points per game non ppr, he has two targets in the passing, has scored zero tds, and today he touched the ball two or so more times then Henderson and M Brown, bad recorded the lowest per rush avg of the three.  

Nothing to see here.  

And if you are so blessed to own Akers, first why do you still have him rostered ? and if you do still own him, it’s going to take more then a buy low for a player that’s only worth a buy low,to buy him from the owner that as kept him rostered this whole season, with there C Akers laying on top of ones hope chest, he’s been available, oh my soul I would say since week 4-5 in my non ppr 14 team , and no one can nor would trust picking him up and starting him. 

 

It was actually 9 carries for 42 yards. His final carry got blown up in the backfield for -4 yards but you probably wouldn’t know that from just reading the box score.

 

Weepaws you can ignore everything I’ve been trying to say. Fact is I don’t own any shares of Akers. I’m just a very keen observer. 
 

Preseason he was drafted around round 4-5 and so far he’s been an absolute bust but not like David Montgomery last season. It’s been because of injury and lack of touches.

 

The touches are coming, as evidenced by the fact he got the first touch yesterday of any of the 3 and finished with the most. He’s trending upward. If you wait until he has 15 carries and/or a good game then you don’t know what buying low truly means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Clearly no one understands the point of “Buying low”

 

Whats the point of this entire thread if he’s already the starter or after his supposed break out game.

 

I purposely started this thread before he breaks out. 

”Buy low” is a term usually used in trading, so it implies the guy actually has “some” value at the time.  

Akers doesn’t have much if any value except in really deep leagues right now.

Thanks for giving us some info and I would say he’s definitely worth watching for the many out there hurting at RB, but you probably should have titled the thread “Speculative WW Add” instead of “Buy Low”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson is not going away and tbqh he’s the best RB of the lot. I respect HC’s but it’s a mystery why Henderson isn’t the bell cow. Regardless 23/99/3 from the RBBC is what the Rams got yesterday and that’s really all they care about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

”Buy low” is a term usually used in trading, so it implies the guy actually has “some” value at the time.  

Akers doesn’t have much if any value except in really deep leagues right now.

Thanks for giving us some info and I would say he’s definitely worth watching for the many out there hurting at RB, but you probably should have titled the thread “Speculative WW Add” instead of “Buy Low”

 

Your first sentence is simply not true. It’s stupid in fact. 
 

He can have no value at all but if you speculate value in the future then why wouldn’t you buy at his cheapest price point?
 

Why wouldn’t you wanna be the first to the party when you’re only bidding vs yourself?

 

I hope you don’t invest in real life things like stock and bitcoin FFS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Henderson is not going away and tbqh he’s the best RB of the lot. I respect HC’s but it’s a mystery why Henderson isn’t the bell cow. Regardless 23/99/3 from the RBBC is what the Rams got yesterday and that’s really all they care about.

I’m not sure why this is difficult to comprehend. How many RBs have come and gone in this league and have had a few good games here and there? Henderson and Brown are JAGS. 
 

Not sure how much tape you’ve watched of Henderson but he’s a small physical runner who probably could never hold up as a bell cow. He’s also not fast enough to break away the homerun 70+ yard run to the house. He’s a solid veteran who does his job.

 

Akers is the potential. Being the top dawg of the RBBC is one thing, but if an injury occurs to Henderson he could be a league winner. 
 

The upside is enormous. The cost is still relatively low for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned here. But that’s why you buy low.

 

Theres no such thing as buying low on a player that’s playing well. That’s what so many on this thread are failing to understand.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Your first sentence is simply not true. It’s stupid in fact. 
 

He can have no value at all but if you speculate value in the future then why wouldn’t you buy at his cheapest price point?
 

Why wouldn’t you wanna be the first to the party when you’re only bidding vs yourself?

 

I hope you don’t invest in real life things like stock and bitcoin FFS. 

You know what "buying" means right?   It costs something.  Right now Akers probably doesn't cost anything.   You're not "buying" him, you're picking him up for free from craigslist (nothing wrong with that btw).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

You know what "buying" means right?   It costs something.  Right now Akers probably doesn't cost anything.   You're not "buying" him, you're picking him up for free from craigslist (nothing wrong with that btw).

Buying low implies a player will have future value, thus giving him implied value, which is greater than zero. Whether it’s a rookie who hasn’t gotten his chance yet or a solid veteran who has been playing bad or hurt. 
 

I tend to be more keen on rookies because the upside is far higher IMO. As opposed to someone like David Johnson who many were high on this year for a bounce back but he might just be washed.

 

You’re welcome.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rams would love Akers to take the job. He was obviously the guy they had in mind when they traded Cooks. To this point he hasn't come close to doing that. If I were going to speculate on a flier rookie RB, stuck in a 3-way committee, it would be JK Dobbins. Better line, better production. Hoping for an injury isn't really buying low either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

...Akers is the potential. Being the top dawg of the RBBC is one thing, but if an injury occurs to Henderson he could be a league winner. 
 

The upside is enormous. The cost is still relatively low for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned here. But that’s why you buy low.

 

Theres no such thing as buying low on a player that’s playing well. That’s what so many on this thread are failing to understand.

I do agree on this especially.

The deal with RB lotto tickets is they come about one of two ways - they take over just by sheer force of will or opportunity or 2. injury. Henderson was pretty damn productive with Akers out too. I absolutely agree Akers would be big if something happened to Henderson healthwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Hoping for an injury isn't really buying low either...

It’s like beating a dead horse.

The speculation is that he’s simply more talented than Henderson and Brown (JAGS) and at some point he will take over.

 

The writing is on the wall should you choose to see it. Henderson has been “playing well” yet still was out-touched by Akers on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson isn't going anywhere.....only way Akers becomes relevant is an injury to Henderson/Brown. 

Hate to bust your bubble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I’m not sure why this is difficult to comprehend. How many RBs have come and gone in this league and have had a few good games here and there? Henderson and Brown are JAGS. 
 

Not sure how much tape you’ve watched of Henderson but he’s a small physical runner who probably could never hold up as a bell cow. He’s also not fast enough to break away the homerun 70+ yard run to the house. He’s a solid veteran who does his job.

 

Akers is the potential. Being the top dawg of the RBBC is one thing, but if an injury occurs to Henderson he could be a league winner. 
 

The upside is enormous. The cost is still relatively low for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned here. But that’s why you buy low.

 

Theres no such thing as buying low on a player that’s playing well. That’s what so many on this thread are failing to understand.

I just looked at their combine results.  Henderson and Akers are remarkably similar.  Akers had a slight edge in long speed, but Henderson barely edged Akers in short area quickness.  Akers explosion numbers are where he could theoretically claim a material advantage.  I would say that based purely on their combine numbers neither possess the elite agility, quickness, and acceleration required to be a great runningback.

For instance, a guy like Miles Sanders blows them away in those agility and quickness numbers even though they all have similar long speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nobody said:

I just looked at their combine results.  Henderson and Akers are remarkably similar.  Akers had a slight edge in long speed, but Henderson barely edged Akers in short area quickness.  Akers explosion numbers are where he could theoretically claim a material advantage.  I would say that based purely on their combine numbers neither possess the elite agility, quickness, and acceleration required to be a great runningback.

For instance, a guy like Miles Sanders blows them away in those agility and quickness numbers even though they all have similar long speed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, Henderson was drafted to backup Gurley who was just coming off his best season. Context matters a bit here. If Henderson was the guy then they probably don’t bother drafting Akers so high. A 2nd round pick in today’s NFL is pretty high for a RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So when is this gonna happen? How long do I have to keep him rostered? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Fox said:

Henderson isn't going anywhere.....only way Akers becomes relevant is an injury to Henderson/Brown. 

Hate to bust your bubble!

Problem is...Akers is the one most likely to get injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

It’s like beating a dead horse.

The speculation is that he’s simply more talented than Henderson and Brown (JAGS) and at some point he will take over.

 

The writing is on the wall should you choose to see it. Henderson has been “playing well” yet still was out-touched by Akers on Sunday.

He might be more talented but until his production matches the talent, he is the 3rd rb in a 3 way committee. The Rams are tied for first in the division, I don’t see them messing with their formula while it’s working. I would definitely stash Akers, but that’s all he is right now, a stash and hope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Akers in an auction league and while disappointing still holding... We can keep up to 2 players for one extra year so he could still pan out.  A buy low who you may still be able to snag off the waiver wire is Salvon Ahmed RB for Miami, picked him up last week and started him yesterday, TD and about 80 yards.... Jordon Howard was just cut loose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So when is this gonna happen? How long do I have to keep him rostered? 

Probably until 2021.  He is a dynasty stash.  I suppose there is a chance he could have a good game or two down the stretch, but there is probably no way you are starting him for that unless you know ahead of time that either Brown or Henderson (preferably both) are going to be out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Showboat said:

Probably until 2021.  He is a dynasty stash.  I suppose there is a chance he could have a good game or two down the stretch, but there is probably no way you are starting him for that unless you know ahead of time that either Brown or Henderson (preferably both) are going to be out.

Lmfao 

A rookie drafted in the top 5 rounds in most leagues. He got hurt and Henderson and Brown have played well but the top 5 round talent is still there. He didn’t lose his job because of ineffectiveness so there’s always a chance he regains the top spot even without injury.

 

I think ideally the rams want Akers to replace Gurley with Henderson as the change of pace smaller back, and Brown as the backup.

 

At worst, you’re getting someone muddled in a RBBC, at best you could have someone producing at the level of Gurley 2017-2018. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 for 38 isn’t going to kick down any doors for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kutulu said:

I got Akers in an auction league and while disappointing still holding... We can keep up to 2 players for one extra year so he could still pan out.  A buy low who you may still be able to snag off the waiver wire is Salvon Ahmed RB for Miami, picked him up last week and started him yesterday, TD and about 80 yards.... Jordon Howard was just cut loose.

You think Ahmed has more value than Akers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

You think Ahmed has more value than Akers?

At this point in time yeah... When gaskins comes back sure will be time to look at again. Little bit of trivia Ahmed backed up gaskins in college.  Week 9 and 10 kid impressed, imo

https://www.google.com/search?q=Salvon+Ahmed&client=ms-android-motorola&prmd=nvi&sxsrf=ALeKk02XOpePrR_QI77qg0iS8QJ_fEZljA:1605564676526&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY2tTBiojtAhXDmVkKHTF2CH0Q_AUoAXoECBEQAQ&biw=592&bih=280&dpr=3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

You think Ahmed has more value than Akers?

Until Gaskins returns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Akers true value will be next season. 

He’s the worst performer of the three Rams Rbs. 

I don’t care how fast nd how talented he is, or has been, or will be, right now he’s avg 4 points per game in non ppr, with two targets on the passing game, Nd zero tds.  

And if one owns him, what would be the low you would trade for him?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Until Gaskins returns. 

I had gaskins in one league and he was doing pretty good fantasy wise but he wasn't tearing it up either.  Ahmed's situation reminds me of samkon gado's in GB a few years ago, right place right time cause of injuries, sometimes you can catch lightening in a bottle. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kutulu said:

I had gaskins in one league and he was doing pretty good fantasy wise but he wasn't tearing it up either.  Ahmed's situation reminds me of samkon gado's in GB a few years ago, right place right time cause of injuries, sometimes you can catch lightening in a bottle. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I don’t disagree, Gaskings wasn’t lighting it up, but he was a sold performer for them, but the question was who holds more value Ahmed or Akers, and for now I’ll say Ahmed , but once Gaskings returns I think he’ll retain is rb1 role with the Dolphins, but with a little less work load. 

I also injoy your post, thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×