JustinCharge

learning one new thing a day

today i learned about shirataki noodles.   apparently they are made from Yams.  they are clear and kinda tasteless, but something like 8 ounces of shirataki is 20 calories while regular noodles can be 300. What's the catch?  does it give you constipation?  cancer?  hunger pangs?   It was the first thing mentioned in this video:

I learned that the word "mother" is vile, hateful, and non-inclusive. :nono:

today I learned Zach Wilson apparently is some sort of ultra alpha male in the locker room, immediately commanding respect of the entire Jets locker room on day 1 and pushing the team as a competitor like he is Tom Brady.

yesterday i learned something about taking care of plants.  I have some baby ones that need supporting so they dont fall over.  I went to the hardware store and wasn't sure what I'd find.  I spotted a package of wooden shims.  turns out they work perfect.  I can lay one across the pot and let it rest against it to prop it up straight.  if it needs more support, i can lattice a few shims around the base of the plant.  the wood look has aesthetic appeal as well. 

Today I learned about setting up apple to find my iphone if i lose it.  Tracks it perfectly on the website.  I've never lost a phone but nice to know.

I learned about robber flies. There are many different species. Some mimic bumble bees. They catch honey bees on the fly and inject neurotoxins and digestive enzymes, then suck the bee's life fluids out thru a proboscis. 

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

I learned about robber flies. There are many different species. Some mimic bumble bees. They catch honey bees on the fly and inject neurotoxins and digestive enzymes, then suck the bee's life fluids out thru a proboscis. 

That sounds hot :wub:

• Haha 1

today i learned that the trick to having an australian accent is to replace hard Rs at the end of words with a soft a.  (this is also a setup for a joke im sure)

Yesterday I learned Taco Bell no longer offers the messican pizza. :thumbsdown:

In the 2001 Britain census

390,000 people listed their religious affiliation as Jedi

3 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

The Brain uses 25% of the oxygen consumed by the body

What uses the other 25%

18 minutes ago, kutulu said:

What uses the other 25%

The muscles...tissues..heart..blood..skeletal system..immune system...etc

22 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

The muscles...tissues..heart..blood..skeletal system..immune system...etc

Yeah but that still leaves 13.5%.  🤔

4 hours ago, kutulu said:

What uses the other 25%

The Pinky. 

i didn't learn anything this weekend.

Today I learned about the career of Colorado Rockies OF Yonathan Daza.  Scooped him up in my league.  He's been totally on fire, but no power as of yet.  Apparently might not have a swing that translates into a big league career but you never know, he might adjust.

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

i didn't learn anything this weekend.

Today I learned about the career of Colorado Rockies OF Yonathan Daza.  Scooped him up in my league.  He's been totally on fire, but no power as of yet.  Apparently might not have a swing that translates into a big league career but you never know, he might adjust.

Is he a good bad ball hitter?  🤔

4 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Is he a good bad ball hitter?  🤔

He actually is.  2021 Eddie Rosario has a chase % of 37.3  but still makes contact on 70.8% of those.  2021 Daza's numbers are pretty close, 30.6 and 62.5.

• Thanks 1

Today I learned our daughter received (and accepted) a post graduation job offer.  She graduates in 3 weeks with a degree in biochem from University of Washington.  She'll be doing drug / vaccine manufacturing.  I can't help but picture the high tech meth lab in Breaking Bad, but this is legit. 

Both of our kids have now been successfully launched.  Our job as parents is now complete!  :pointstosky:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DonS said:

Today I learned our daughter received (and accepted) a post graduation job offer.  She graduates in 3 weeks with a degree in biochem from University of Washington.  She'll be doing drug / vaccine manufacturing.  I can't help but picture the high tech meth lab in Breaking Bad, but this is legit. 

Both of our kids have now been successfully launched.  Our job as parents is now complete!  :pointstosky:

You wouldn't think it but there is a big push to get robots into the drug manufacturing industry.  I don't know how this will impact her career though.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/robots-in-drug-manufacturing/

https://roboticsbiz.com/choosing-a-robot-for-drug-manufacturing-things-to-consider/

https://news.mit.edu/2021/multiply-labs-cell-therapy-0512

“Our goal is to be the gold standard for the manufacturing of individualized drugs,” Parietti says. “We believe the future of medicine is going to be individualized drugs made on demand for single patients, and the only way to make those is with robots.”

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Good job keeping her off the pole. That's a win. 

8 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Good job keeping her off the pole. That's a win. 

Lol.  Yeah, I quoted Chris Rock to my wife after we got the good news. 

On 5/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, Mike Isles said:

I learned who was the chick on the cover of first RATT album. 

NSL

(never stop learning)

Keeping this to yourself?  Don't want it to go 'Round and Round'?

Today I learned a great way to stick things to my dashboard.

I've tried using velcro but the strips just pull of the dash because the glue isn't strong enough to stick.  I don't want to apply something super sticky because it'll probably ruin the dash.  I tried one of those gel mats but they don't stick either.  I realized I can use both to get the effect I want. 

Step 1.  Stick velcro to the dash as normal (not super sticky) so it pulls easily off the dash.
Step 2. Take the gel mat and stick velcro to both sides.  These must be super sticky so they don't pull off the gel mat.  Might take a few days to dry or whatever.  I used 3M double sided tape cemented in with lots of heat.
Step 3. Stick the gel mat to the dash.
Step 4. Stick velcro to the back of the phone as normal (this always sticks very well and won't pull off either.)

Now, when you want to stick the phone to the dash, stick it to the gel mat attached to the dash.

If you want to pick up the phone, hold down the gel mat with one hand and pull up the phone with the other. 

If you want to remove the setup entirely from the dash, just pull up the gel mat and it will pull up the velcro cleanly from the dash.

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Today I learned a great way to stick things to my dashboard.

I've tried using velcro but the strips just pull of the dash because the glue isn't strong enough to stick.  I don't want to apply something super sticky because it'll probably ruin the dash.  I tried one of those gel mats but they don't stick either.  I realized I can use both to get the effect I want. 

Step 1.  Stick velcro to the dash as normal (not super sticky) so it pulls easily off the dash.
Step 2. Take the gel mat and stick velcro to both sides.  These must be super sticky so they don't pull off the gel mat.  Might take a few days to dry or whatever.  I used 3M double sided tape cemented in with lots of heat.
Step 3. Stick the gel mat to the dash.
Step 4. Stick velcro to the back of the phone as normal (this always sticks very well and won't pull off either.)

Now, when you want to stick the phone to the dash, stick it to the gel mat attached to the dash.

If you want to pick up the phone, hold down the gel mat with one hand and pull up the phone with the other. 

If you want to remove the setup entirely from the dash, just pull up the gel mat and it will pull up the velcro cleanly from the dash.

Will it work for a tiny Elvis? 

On 5/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, Flipper said:

Keeping this to yourself?  Don't want it to go 'Round and Round'?

Tawny Kitaen...

RIP

Today I learned that humans actually have stripes.  They are called Blaschko's Lines.  People have U-shaped stripes down their front, V-shaped stripes down their back, wavy stripes on the head and face and basic ones on their arms and legs.  The pigmentation difference is so slight that you don't notice it, although a very strong UV light can allow you to see your stripes.

Your stomach has more brain cells than a cat has in total.  Your stomach can perform its own actions without your primary brain doing anything.

If your nose is stuffed, press a finger between your eyes and push up against the roof of your mouth with your tongue.  If you do it right, you'll feel a bone slightly move.  Your sinuses will completely drain 1 minute later.

Your brain releases less dopamine if you perform an equal transaction.  If perform a transaction where you gain from it, you get more dopamine.  So free food really DOES taste better.

Today I learned that Japan has an estimated population of 125 million people, twice the number of people in the UK.  Japan is 4th inpopulation density among nations with more than 100 million people (#1 Bangladesh 2815 people ppsqm, #2 India 1064 ppsqm, #3 Phillipines 922 ppsqm, #4 Japan 862 ppsqm)

The Japan Archipelago actually consists of 6852 islands.  It actually has a long strand of islands streaming from the southern end, the northern end, and a long one in the middle extending way out into the Pacific.  The easternmost island is Minami-Tori-shima, which is a whopping 1148 miles from Tokyo.  That is about the same distance from New York City to Kansas City.