Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

How much is 30 years in prison worth?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/us/north-carolina-wrongful-conviction-compensation/index.html

(CNN)A federal jury has awarded $75 million to two brothers in North Carolina, decades after they were convicted of rape and murder they did not commit. 

Leon Brown and Henry McCollum were arrested in 1983 and spent nearly 31 years in prison before the half-brothers were exonerated in 2014.
The award is significant because not all exonerees in the United States are guaranteed compensation. The federal government, Washington, DC, and only 35 states have some form of restitution laws, according to the Innocence Project, but advocates say many of them fall short in compensating people. 

Like many exonerees around the country, Brown and McCollum opted to file a federal civil rights lawsuit against the government agencies involved in their wrongful convictions -- a process that advocates say often takes years and it's challenging to win.
Last week, a federal jury decided that Brown and McCollum should be compensated for their time in prison, nearly six years after filing a lawsuit in federal court. The jury awarded them $31 million each in compensatory damages -- that's $1 million for each year they were incarcerated. They will also receive an additional $13 million total in punitive damages, according to court documents.

Brown and McCollum were arrested and charged in 1983 with the rape and murder of 11-year-old Sabrina Buie in Red Springs, North Carolina, CNN previously reported. Both of them were sentenced to death, but Brown later had his sentence reduced to life in prison. 
In 2014, both Brown and McCollum were exonerated and released from prison after DNA from a cigarette collected at the crime scene was tested and ultimately tied another person to the crime. The brothers filed a civil rights lawsuit in 2015 against local officials involved in the original case.

Sounds like those guys got railroaded. Unlike the scum from the Central Park rape that got paid even though they were guilty as sin. Trump was right about that too. 

Just now, MDC said:

Definitely not worth it.

Yeah, that wouldn't work out for you and yours I'm guessing.

The average natural life span of a cow is 26 years.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sounds like those guys got railroaded. Unlike the scum from the Central Park rape that got paid even though they were guilty as sin. Trump was right about that too. 

TDS!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/us/north-carolina-wrongful-conviction-compensation/index.html

(CNN)A federal jury has awarded $75 million to two brothers in North Carolina, decades after they were convicted of rape and murder they did not commit. 

Leon Brown and Henry McCollum were arrested in 1983 and spent nearly 31 years in prison before the half-brothers were exonerated in 2014.
The award is significant because not all exonerees in the United States are guaranteed compensation. The federal government, Washington, DC, and only 35 states have some form of restitution laws, according to the Innocence Project, but advocates say many of them fall short in compensating people. 

Like many exonerees around the country, Brown and McCollum opted to file a federal civil rights lawsuit against the government agencies involved in their wrongful convictions -- a process that advocates say often takes years and it's challenging to win.
Last week, a federal jury decided that Brown and McCollum should be compensated for their time in prison, nearly six years after filing a lawsuit in federal court. The jury awarded them $31 million each in compensatory damages -- that's $1 million for each year they were incarcerated. They will also receive an additional $13 million total in punitive damages, according to court documents.

Brown and McCollum were arrested and charged in 1983 with the rape and murder of 11-year-old Sabrina Buie in Red Springs, North Carolina, CNN previously reported. Both of them were sentenced to death, but Brown later had his sentence reduced to life in prison. 
In 2014, both Brown and McCollum were exonerated and released from prison after DNA from a cigarette collected at the crime scene was tested and ultimately tied another person to the crime. The brothers filed a civil rights lawsuit in 2015 against local officials involved in the original case.

100K per year, plus 10M punitive. 1M per seems excessive. 

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

It does seem excessive. But having 30 years of your life taken away...

8 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah, that wouldn't work out for you and yours I'm guessing.

The average natural life span of a cow is 26 years.

There’s that wit. It’s amazing you have no friends.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

No way. I can make 100K myself. Locking me up for 3 decades for a crime I didn't commit? Taking away my freedom and my ability to make that 100K? Plus labeling me a kid rapist/murderer?

1M per is the minimum. I'd ask for 100M.

8 people shot in New Orleans . I wonder if the bad guys will ever be caught and prosecuted? 

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

It does seem excessive. But having 30 years of your life taken away...

This is what I'm thinking.  I guess it would all depend on how much $$$ and how your life was before incarceration. :dunno:

I don't think you could pay me enough.  Maybe if I was trying to set my family up with generational wealth or something like that.

• Like 1

Horrible story and I don't begrudge them the money.

Nothing is worth that......... but am totally down with anyone getting what they can after being wrongfully imprisoned.

Especially 30 years worth. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm...do they have cable?  🤔

Not 30 years and if anything, all that money will make their lives even more difficult.

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, you’re wrong about that. One of the guys convicted wasn’t even at the park that evening. He just accompanied his friend (who was accused) to the police station to be a support. There was no DNA evidence, no one’s story made sense or matched, they were afraid and bullied and underage. Maybe try reading about the facts of the case instead of hearing about the myths of the case.

Good for them.  Glad they got it.  Hope they use that money to make the best of what they have left of their lives.

if you ask them today it was worth it, they already served dey time

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Well, you’re wrong about that. One of the guys convicted wasn’t even at the park that evening. He just accompanied his friend (who was accused) to the police station to be a support. There was no DNA evidence, no one’s story made sense or matched, they were afraid and bullied and underage. Maybe try reading about the facts of the case instead of hearing about the myths of the case.

Uh, no. Guilty, all of them.  Biggest scam ever. I love how you people cling to the “no dna” thing. Their parents or while we was sitting next to them during their video taped statements. Show where they were bullied. And explain the Walkman. 

11 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Uh, no. Guilty, all of them.  Biggest scam ever. I love how you people cling to the “no dna” thing. Their parents or while we was sitting next to them during their video taped statements. Show where they were bullied. And explain the Walkman. 

There was sperm inside of her but it was from her married lover that she was having an affair with in her office as well as the perpetrator of the crime. None of the boys had any evidence left on her body. Why do you want to hold on to this lie? Is it that you don’t want to believe the police or judge or jury and media could be wrong? Or is it too difficult for you to revise how deeply you believed the lies you were told? It’s just better for you to believe there were all guilty despite the evidence? 

29 minutes ago, peenie said:

There was sperm inside of her but it was from her married lover that she was having an affair with in her office as well as the perpetrator of the crime. None of the boys had any evidence left on her body. Why do you want to hold on to this lie? Is it that you don’t want to believe the police or judge or jury and media could be wrong? Or is it too difficult for you to revise how deeply you believed the lies you were told? It’s just better for you to believe there were all guilty despite the evidence? 

It was the second time in history that DNA was used as evidence. Let just say the bugs had not yet been worked out. I cling to nothing. Watch the taped confessions. And again, explain the Walkman. You can’t, becisse you only watched a one sided account. You don’t even know what I’m talking about. And neither can the ones that pushed this nonsense. That’s why they left it out of the “documentary”. How could they possibly know the semen was from her “married lover”? Did he give a sample? You people are idiots. Peenie will now exit the thread. 

28 minutes ago, peenie said:

It’s a hot take. He likes to have them especially where they match up with his “origin story”

Just now, IGotWorms said:

It’s a hot take. He likes to have them especially where they match up with his “origin story”

So yeah, the semen was from her married lover. Are you going with that was well? 

28 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It was the second time in history that DNA was used as evidence. Let just say the bugs had not yet been worked out. I cling to nothing. Watch the taped confessions. And again, explain the Walkman. You can’t, becisse you only watched a one sided account. You don’t even know what I’m talking about. And neither can the ones that pushed this nonsense. That’s why they left it out of the “documentary”. How could they possibly know the semen was from her “married lover”? Did he give a sample? You people are idiots. Peenie will now exit the thread. 

I never watched the documentary. I lived through it as I was forced to watch every detail about this case as it unfolded. The DNA evidence about the sperm found in her body came out very early, not years later.

21 minutes ago, peenie said:

I never watched the documentary. I lived through it as I was forced to watch every detail about this case as it unfolded. The DNA evidence about the sperm found in her body came out very early, not years later.

How did they know who’s sperm it was without a sample of the dna? You’re still contending her married lover gave a sample? Think about it. Then stop pushing your lies that the racist Al Sharpton and the Amsterdam News fed you. You lived thorough it via them. Neither are credible. HTH. Attacking the victim. Real nice.