Gepetto

Stock Market bubble - will crash

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I was just looking for some input. And considering, despite our acrimony, I don’t think you’re an ignorant doofus, I just thought maybe there could be some conversation.  Yeah, I know I sling the poo too. Whatever. 

My thoughts are that we will be fine the next few years.  I don't think we're gonna get a collapse, I dont think we'll see much growth either.

11 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

My thoughts are that we will be fine the next few years.  I don't think we're gonna get a collapse, I dont think we'll see much growth either.

It would be great if you worked in watching the piece.  Or anyone else for that matter.  Like I said, it’s PBS, not some right wing outfit. I have always thought frontline was the best thing they do. Not perfect, and I have disagreed.  They did one years ago called “The Warning”. I read and watched a lot about the 2008 financial crisis. It captivated me for a while. That was the best piece I saw on it. 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It would be great if you worked in watching the piece.  Or anyone else for that matter.  Like I said, it’s PBS, not some right wing outfit. I have always thought frontline was the best thing they do. Not perfect, and I have disagreed.  They did one years ago called “The Warning”. I read and watched a lot about the 2008 financial crisis. It captivated me for a while. That was the best piece I saw on it. 

Do you get a commission every time someone watches your link?  WTF

I think the Dow is going to get to 35000-36000 in the next 18 months.  All that investing in 2020-2022 is going to pay off handsomely.  

I get playing around with a portion of investments, making some bets, guesses, speculating etc…but for majority of money - time in the market rather than timing the market is the way to go IMO.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

I think the Dow is going to get to 35000-36000 in the next 18 months.  All that investing in 2020-2022 is going to pay off handsomely.  

History says you are correct.

But then of course history is not guarantee of future performance.  

18 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

History says you are correct.

But then of course history is not guarantee of future performance.  

It used to be. Then the big guy came along 

Contrary to popular belief, stocks don’t always go up, even in a long-term setting.  If you invested $1M in stocks in 1965 and cashed out in 1982, you would have lost $30,000.

8 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Actually I don't care about gas prices because I barely drive, also I can afford gas when I do.

Also I'm smart enough to know that we're never seeing $2.50g again anyway, so now I'm not gonna throw a hissyfit until it gets back there.

Because you barely drive?  :doh:

Gas prices affect the prices of almost everything else dummy.

1 hour ago, Patented Phil said:

If you invested $1M in stocks in 1965 and cashed out in 1982, you would have lost $30,000.

Stocks?  

As in.....??   Like what stocks?  Any and all? 

Does anyone invest in the DOW?  What was the performance of the S&P over that time?

Also, isn't it a bit disingenuous to cherry pick that specific date range?  Most people dollar cost average over decades.  I know 1982 was a low, so I'll assume 1965 was a high, right?  

On 3/31/2023 at 9:52 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

PBS Frontline: The Age Of Easy Money. Just finished watching. Shows where we were, where we are and possibly where we are headed. And if we are headed where some of these people think we are, all of our leaders and institutions can take a bow. Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden, the Fed, Banks and Wall Street, all the congresses. About two hours, no commercials. 

Watched it last night. Interesting, but nothing that you & I didn't already know. Just like all documentaries that cover the 2009 meltdown, & even the movies made about it ('the big short') they only call out investors, speculators, & Wall Street banks as the villains. Don't get me wrong, they were villains, but not the only ones. What none of them have the balls to cover/discuss, is the fact that without government & activist groups pressure, those bundles of millions of subprime mortgages wouldn't have been available for them to trade. 

This guy explains it better than I ever could. 

https://www.backwoodshome.com/the-meltdown-and-the-bailout-why-how-and-what-they-mean/

3 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Watched it last night. Interesting, but nothing that you & I didn't already know. Just like all documentaries that cover the 2009 meltdown, & even the movies made about it ('the big short') they only call out investors, speculators, & Wall Street banks as the villains. Don't get me wrong, they were villains, but not the only ones. What none of them have the balls to cover/discuss, is the fact that without government & activist groups pressure, those bundles of millions of subprime mortgages wouldn't have been available for them to trade. 

https://www.backwoodshome.com/the-meltdown-and-the-bailout-why-how-and-what-they-mean/

read the book, The Big Short & saw the movie twice.  Amazing only about 6 people saw the 2008 crash coming.  So much for stock EXPERTS.  will read your link later when I have time.

thanx for more info on that cluster that happened.

11 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Should be required reading.  As usual race & politics played a big role in the meltdown.

sad & preventable.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadrap said:

Should be required reading.  As usual race & politics played a big role in the meltdown.

sad & preventable.   

Yup.

By 2004, many lending institutions realized Fannie & Freddie would buy up these mortgages, so they too could afford to grant these risky loans & "sell" them, along with their risks, to Fannie & Freddie. It wasn't just legal, it was what the Congress & community activists wanted. In all fairness, although the problem originated with Democratic Party policies, when the Republicans had a chance to correct it...well, they weren't going to be the bad guys who turned off the mortgage spigot.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:57 AM, GutterBoy said:

Already up 2%, with 8 weeks to go.  Nice call so far :lol:

Up 2.8% now, 7 weeks to go.

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

And WTI is up $1.75 :banana:  You go Saudi and China with your bad selves. 

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

🤣. What a loser. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, Gladiators said:

I am sitting on cash right now in anticipation of a crash.

How's that working out?

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

How's that working out?

How’s your proclamations that Disney and AB will be hit fine?   Oooof.  

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

How’s your proclamations that Disney and AB will be hit fine?   Oooof.  

Checked this morning, Disney+ still works, parks are still open, and I can still buy AB products at the store.  Have a seat, gramps.

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Checked this morning, Disney+ still works, parks are still open, and I can still buy AB products at the store.  Have a seat, gramps.

Cool. And I assume your retirement is still invested in the market? 

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

How's that working out?

Good.  Would have worked out better had just sat on all the cash vs investing a portion.

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Cool. And I assume your retirement is still invested in the market? 

Of course.

Just now, Gladiators said:

Good.  Would have worked out better had just sat on all the cash vs investing a portion.

Not sure what you invested in but the S&P is up 8% this year.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Not sure what you invested in but the S&P is up 8% this year.

I invested a portion between February and June of '22.  I'm down 4% on those investments.  Kept the rest in cash.  Most is currently sitting in a MM at 4% and a portion is in a CD at 4.6%.  I need to pull a large portion out in 2 1/2 years, so I don't want too much in the market.

Just now, Gladiators said:

I invested a portion between February and June of '22.  I'm down 4% on those investments.  Kept the rest in cash.  Most is currently sitting in a MM at 4% and a portion is in a CD at 4.6%.  I need to pull a large portion out in 2 1/2 years, so I don't want too much in the market.

oh fock me I thought this thread started in 2023.  Whoops.

OK I get you.  I went cash in May 22 and then back in around election day.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m calling my shot. Will see close to a 30 pct drop by June.  

Look at this retard :lol:

:thumbsup:

Looks like I’m wrong.  You should try that once in a while.  

37 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Vomit has like a dozen posts in this thread.

36 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Vomit has like a dozen posts in this thread.

He’s incredible. Just denies things that are clear as day.  No shame. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s incredible. Just denies things that are clear as day.  No shame. 

What am I denying? :lol:

You people are so pathetic

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Nope.  The thread started right before the crash begin.  My prediction was accurate.

1 minute ago, Gepetto said:

Nope.  The thread started right before the crash begin.  My prediction was accurate.

Except bonds got clobbered last year too.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Except bonds got clobbered last year too.

Barely move my overall investment down compared to what the mutual funds would have.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m calling my shot. Will see close to a 30 pct drop by June.  

🤡