Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Going to Maui: sight-seeing recommendations

My wife and I are finally going to Hawaii (Maui) for the first time at the end of February.  We'll be there for 5 days. Do any of you bastards have any recommendations on things we should do or see?

We're already planning on booking a snorkeling trip and a day trip to the volcano.  What else do you got?  Any restaurant suggestions? 

Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I’m no help, but am in for the responses. We’re headed to Kauai in March. I’m sure we’ll get to Maui in the next year or two. Hope you have an awesome trip!

Merrimans is good…where are you staying? 
molokini is nice. If the wife is a cat person take her out to the Lanai cat sanctuary. 
probably just past whale watching so that might be hit or miss.

can do part of the road to Hana and look for waterfalls…lots of good apps for it

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:35 AM, Bier Meister said:

my maui favorites...

Restaurants:

*Roy’s- Kaanapali

*ios- Lahaina

*pacific'o- Lahaina

Sea House- napili (another very good happy hour)

Hula Grill- Kaanapali (good place for lunch and app’s around sunset)

Mama’s fish House

Koa seaside

Star Noodle- Lahaina

China Boat- Lahaina (Chinese)

*aloha mixed plate- GREAT Lunch place.... we prob hit it 3-4 times on our trips

maui tacos makes for a nice lunch as well

*sansei- Kapalua (great happy hour prices!!)

*Merriman’s- Kapalua

Pineapple Grill- Kapalua

Maui Brewing- Kahana

a lot of other great restaurants all over the island.

Activities:

Zip lining

Chocolate & champagne sunset cruise (scotch mist)- it’s on a small sailboat (holds about 8 instead of 80)

Scuba- there are some good sights near lanai. Hawaiian rafting adventures was very good. We’ve seen dolphins along the way…they let us get out and snorkel with them…also have seen whales on the ride over.

Snorkeling- you can go with a group (i used to like the catamaran booze cruises that had snorkeling). Some good spots if you just want to go on your own: Honolua Bay, black rock, and mile marker 14.

Kayaking

luau- feast of lele is pretty good

Haleakula- sunrise at the top of a large cater, then bike downhill for 7+miles……

Helicopter rides

The Road to Hana- it’s long!!! Nice waterfalls along the way. With a little hiking you can find some cascades (pools). There is not much in hana.

There is a winery on the island... not the best wine, but still fun.

Maui brewing Co.- decent food as well

renting jet skis

surf lessons (if you don't know how)

windsurfing

whale watching (when they are migrating)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Lol forgot about China Boat…ha 

Yeah you can just walk around Lahaina and have a good time.

- 2nd Hana.  Short hike into Red Sands Beach. 

- Go to Big Beach and hike over to Small Beach and hang loose. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll add that we like traveling in January.  Fewer crowds, better rates on air and lodging. Should be similar in February 

if you dive or snorkel, no need to go whale watching. Just go on a tour and you will likely encounter them.  We often have been in the water and hear their calls.

The Polynesian Luau. This group of Hawaiians traces their ancestors back to Polynesia, before they crossed the waters to Hawaii. 

Great food and a hula dancing show. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Our neighbor goes to Maui every year so we went ahead and booked a 1 BR condo at a place that she recommended.  We'll be staying at Sugar Beach in Kihei.  She said she likes Kihei as it's a bit quiter than some other areas.

Looking at the snorkeling tours which go to Molokini Crater and Turle Town and I see the various options.  Definitely thinking of going with the all inclusive drinking one. :cheers:  Wasn't really considering whale watching as we've done that plenty of times here in the PNW, but good tip about possibly seeing them anyways during snorkeling excursion.

Zip line is a good suggestion.  We did that down in Mexico and that was a good time.

I was wondering about going to a luau with all the dancing chicks and fire dudes.  So it's worth it then?  Good food to go along with the show?  Do we need to worry about any taboo / Brady Bunch mojo? 

I was already planning on Maui Brewery.  Good to hear that it's worth it.

Regarding volcano and Road to Hana:   would you guys recommend driving ourselves or looking into some kind of tour?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start planning things out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DonS said:

I was wondering about going to a luau with all the dancing chicks and fire dudes.  So it's worth it then?  Good food to go along with the show?  Do we need to worry about any taboo / Brady Bunch mojo? 

i have been to 4-5 luaus.  generally, the food is meh.... but i think feast of lele is very good, with better food than most

Regarding volcano and Road to Hana:   would you guys recommend driving ourselves or looking into some kind of tour?

i love haleakula.  do this  early in your trip and catch the sunrise, and bike down.  they will drive you. if you do the road to hana... get a good map for parking and hiking to the better spots.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start planning things out. 

• Thanks 1

It’s been a while since I’ve ventured out that way but I rented a Jeep Wrangler and did the road to Hana. That might be on the big island though and not on Maui. 

4 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

It’s been a while since I’ve ventured out that way but I rented a Jeep Wrangler and did the road to Hana. That might be on the big island though and not on Maui. 

Maui

Was only in Honolulu for a couple of days several years ago waiting to board a cruise, but made time to check out Pearl Harbor. Well worth it, but not exactly a swinging party, if that's what you're looking for. 

If you're tenting it this Coleman is not bad.

If you want to get fancy, depending on how snobby your bride is, this one has an attached front room.  

Wonderful trip.  We were just having lunch and a  mother was teaching its calf how to breach.  Closest I’ve seen them to shore. Wish I could post pics and videos.

on our snorkeling trip earlier we saw probably 30 whales, and 100 + dolphins (some were near us while in the water .

the girls went surfing several times, and stand up paddle board.

fantastic trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 3:16 PM, Bier Meister said:

Maui

How often do y’all go to Hawaii? I swear y’all there like every year :lol: 

35 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Wonderful trip.  We were just having lunch and a  mother was teaching its calf how to breach.  Closest I’ve seen them to shore. Wish I could post pics and videos.

on our snorkeling trip earlier we saw probably 30 whales, and 100 + dolphins (some were near us while in the water .

the girls went surfing several times, and stand up paddle board.

fantastic trip

Was your snorkeling trip one of those group excursions or did you go solo?  I'm definitely going to book one of the alcohol included snorkeling trips. 

Hopefully my pale cracker belly doesn't scare all the fish away. 

https://mauidga.org/courses/

43 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

How often do y’all go to Hawaii? I swear y’all there like every year :lol: 

We used to go close to every year, but that has spaced out a bit.  Last visit was 4 years ago,then covid hit.

next year we are going to take a couple of weeks in Mexico over spring break.

14 minutes ago, DonS said:

Was your snorkeling trip one of those group excursions or did you go solo?  I'm definitely going to book one of the alcohol included snorkeling trips. 

Hopefully my pale cracker belly doesn't scare all the fish away. 

We did a group. I will look up which one when I get a chance. Boat was quicksilver… lanai excursion. $2 or $3 drinks on board. Other have them included, but we were more there to snorkel than get lit. We booked everything through boss frog’s.

Doing a sunset sail tonight.. scotch mist.

I’ll recap the dining highlights later

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DonS said:

Was your snorkeling trip one of those group excursions or did you go solo?  

“Lanai snorkeling and dolphin excursion “

quicksilver charters

through boss frog’s (who book many activities, and rent equipment if you need)

27 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

“Lanai snorkeling and dolphin excursion “

quicksilver charters

through boss frog’s (who book many activities, and rent equipment if you need)

Cool.  Is it safe to assume that any of these booked groups are good for (non ass eating) newbies?  Haven't snorkled since Tulum on our honeymoon 27 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

Cool.  Is it safe to assume that any of these booked groups are good for (non ass eating) newbies?  Haven't snorkled since Tulum on our honeymoon 27 years ago. 

Oh yeah.  There were people who have never snorkeled before.  The crew knew to let the more experienced people in first.  They have noodles and floatation belts as well. Very easy. Muffin, fruit, coffee in the morning. Sandwiches for lunch.  We went light knowing we were going to hit star noodle when we got back

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Oh yeah.  There were people who have never snorkeled before.  The crew knew to let the more experienced people in first.  They have noodles and floatation belts as well. Very easy. Muffin, fruit, coffee in the morning. Sandwiches for lunch.  We went light knowing we were going to hit star noodle when we got back

Sweet.  Gotta say I'm most looking forward to snorkeling.  I figure we'll kinda play a lot of the rest by ear.  Also gotta get my umbrella drink mojo on! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

Sweet.  Gotta say I'm most looking forward to snorkeling.  I figure we'll kinda play a lot of the rest by ear.  Also gotta get my umbrella drink mojo on! 

🍹🍻

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

We used to go close to every year, but that has spaced out a bit.  Last visit was 4 years ago,then covid hit.

next year we are going to take a couple of weeks in Mexico over spring break.

I figured so. When we decide to go I’m definitely gonna pick your brain about it :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

This thread has a decent amount of info.  This could be a learning opportunity for you to use the search feature 😂😂

16 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Jesus, Don needs to send us some pics as he's flailing around in the water like a little Nancy hanging on for dear life to his noodle.

food: hula grill👍👍
leilanis👍👍
tommy Bahama (marlin grill, not the one down south). good but what you would expect

edit: mrs had a very good poke salad at Tommy’s

maui tacos👍
star noodle for a late lunch right now👍👍👍

lahaina fish co. 👍 fine but better pacific seafood elsewhere 

merriman’s 👍👍👍

banyan tree at ritz-Carlton 👍👍

malasadas👍

captain jacks 👍

the girls went for shave ice almost every day. I’ll try to find the name

• Like 1

Starting to book things for our trip next week and made a reservation for Feast at Lele for our last night.  (thanks for the suggestion @Bier Meister). 

Definitely not cheap but fock it.  Going to consider an Uber to/from our hotel as it's a 30 min drive and cost includes open bar. :cheers:

Looks like I waited too long to make a reservation at that Merriman's place that several of you recommended.  Booked solid the entire week.  😢

5 minutes ago, DonS said:

Starting to book things for our trip next week and made a reservation for Feast at Lele for our last night.  (thanks for the suggestion @Bier Meister). 

Definitely not cheap but fock it.  Going to consider an Uber to/from our hotel as it's a 30 min drive and cost includes open bar. :cheers:

I think they have the best food for luaus.

if you prefer to have a nicer meal for your final dinner: merrimans in kapalua

definitely hit star noodle in Lahaina 

lunches at hula grill and leilanis