Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Failure of the public education system

35 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Ah...so the name has real meaning? Cool. First off, appreciate what you do for a living. Honestly. 

Secondly, one could easily assume you know far more about firefighting than I do. Likewise- it is a fair assumption I know far more about the construct of teaching than you do.

Thirdly, I was speaking about parents in a general sense. You (mostly building off of HT's stupidity) took that to mean every parent. Of course it isn't every parent and I never said that. There are many good parents out there doing good work with kids. And guess what? You never hear from those parents. You never see those parents. Because their kids are rocking everything and high achieving and kicking in doors. The problem comes with all those kids who have no parental figures at home. Or the ones who are acting as parental figures. Or the parents who are far more concerned being friends with their kids than parents. Those- more often than not- are the kids pulling 60% and lower in class, never turning assignments in on time, being blatantly belligerent to teachers. When you try to punish them those are the parents who storm into the school screaming about "picking on their kid." Also, those are the parents who know every loophole in the system, who know how to run things up the chain and rattle cages. Those are the ones who kick and scream and bring action and get their way. And that number is growing. If you are in schools you see how those numbers are changing and increasing in every way. Also, as a case in point, discipline issues are up in many schools this year as we have kids back in buildings full time for the first time in 2 years and the system has broken down. 

Fourthly, as to your comments on "restorative criticism" a big reason of why they came about was because schools wanted to have a way to handle conflicts in school that gave them a few steps ahead of the advocacy process that parents jump on. For example, trying to hold groups accountable for conflict. But still- you run into issues with parents kicking up hornet's nests.

Lastly, good for you that you'd  "place people on disciplinary charges." I'm always respectful to parents when talking them despite what I may know their feelings for me are. I've been screamed at for giving kids an "F" when they did nothing. I've been browbeaten and insulted for not giving students an extra day to turn in schoolwork despite clearly outlining for students 2 weeks prior when it was due. And every time, I smile- listen to their concerns and move on with my life. And if you want to pretend like you, or your men, have never said a bad thing about any of the people who "pay your salary" I've got a bridge you can buy.  

Thankfully, it's obvious that we work under different professional codes of ethics.  

Mooney was talking about parents in a general sense, not all parents. Alrighty then. 

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Thankfully, it's obvious that we work under different professional codes of ethics.  

So you've never said anything bad about anyone who pays your salary?

Also, do you regularly have the people you are trying to help standing there yelling and screaming about how you are fighting the fire? Do you have a lot of board meetings where people are coming screaming about how everyone is failing a family member? Do you have a lot of politicians, community members, etc spouting nonsense about your place of employment without knowing what is actually going on day-to-day there? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

The reason it sucks and is failing? mooney is a good example. 

23 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

He's a clown. Has zero clue about anything other than typing inane ramblings into a keyboard. 

Agreed. mooney is a clown. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

So you've never said anything bad about anyone who pays your salary?

Also, do you regularly have the people you are trying to help standing there yelling and screaming about how you are fighting the fire? Do you have a lot of board meetings where people are coming screaming about how everyone is failing a family member? Do you have a lot of politicians, community members, etc spouting nonsense about your place of employment without knowing what is actually going on day-to-day there? 

I think he does. I assume  you’ve never been to a fire in the hood.Or the hood at all.  And firemen do more than fight fires. The also eat and sleep at work. J/k FB. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

The reason it sucks and is failing? mooney is a good example. 

We don't know that.

We do know that he spouts his union's talking points regularly and blames parents too much, marginalizing and dismissing legitimate parent complaints. He's unable/unwilling to criticize idiots in his profession, he'd rather look away. So that reflects poorly. Otherwise though, he often he makes legitimate points. He's probably doing his best. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his lesson plans are solid and in the classroom he's a good teacher. I don't see him as the guy causing the problems so much as taking his cue from his union to ignore and make excuses for them. 

There are many factors why schools are underperforming. Kids come with a bundle of social/emotional issues beyond just education. Teachers are like cops in that whatever unexpected stupid sh*t happens under their jurisdiction, they are the person on the spot and have to figure out a way of filling in the gaps. In the hallway, in the lavatory, in the cafeteria, things can go sideways and he has to take charge and find a way. He's probably shined in some of those moments and screwed up others. Teachers deserve the benefit of the doubt mostly.

As for the Geek Club, he deserves his lumps for ignoring certain issues and criticizing involved parents who are concerned about issues rather than finding solutions. But I don't see Mooney being the reason schools suck and are failing, his opinions are pretty much standard fare for the profession, there wouldn't be many teachers left if you excluded people like Mooney. In the right system, there's no reason to think he can't be part of the solution. I wouldn't trust him to build that system though considering his blind eye and tin ear approach to issues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

He's a clown. Has zero clue about anything other than typing inane ramblings into a keyboard. 

I dont think that at all. HT is not dumb by any stretch. He is just seems more anti teacher and I am pro teacher..so we battle it out.  We each have our own experience to work from.  We both can be right but in this case it is more me.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Voltaire said:

We don't know that.

We do know that he spouts his union's talking points regularly and blames parents too much, marginalizing and dismissing legitimate parent complaints. He's unable/unwilling to criticize idiots in his profession, he'd rather look away. So that reflects poorly. Otherwise though, he often he makes legitimate points. He's probably doing his best. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his lesson plans are solid and in the classroom he's a good teacher. I don't see him as the guy causing the problems so much as taking his cue from his union to ignore and make excuses for them. 

There are many factors why schools are underperforming. Kids come with a bundle of social/emotional issues beyond just education. Teachers are like cops in that whatever unexpected stupid sh*t happens under their jurisdiction, they are the person on the spot and have to figure out a way of filling in the gaps. In the hallway, in the lavatory, in the cafeteria, things can go sideways and he has to take charge and find a way. He's probably shined in some of those moments and screwed up others. Teachers deserve the benefit of the doubt mostly.

As for the Geek Club, he deserves his lumps for ignoring certain issues and criticizing involved parents who are concerned about issues rather than finding solutions. But I don't see Mooney being the reason schools suck and are failing, his opinions are pretty much standard fare for the profession, there wouldn't be many teachers left if you excluded people like Mooney. In the right system, there's no reason to think he can't be part of the solution. I wouldn't trust him to build that system though considering his blind eye and tin ear approach to issues.

I'm always willing to criticize idiots in my profession and I generally think teachers would be better served by not posting things to TikTok and Instagram and whatever else they are doing. But I do think just posting those videos and saying "This is what's wrong" is disingenuous because we have no idea what the context of any of it is. If the context is bad additionally then yeah criticize away. Also, I'm very critical of teachers who have not evolved in 20 years of their profession or who refuse to try and challenge kids because it means they would have to create extra lessons or do some more work. 

To be very clear- I'm not criticizing involved parents. Never said that and there is no need to assume I am. What I am criticizing are the parents (that are a larger number than people think and growing) that think schools are a babysitting service but then get mad when a kid gets in trouble for a legitimate reason. As I said before- people are increasing the roles of schools but decreasing their support for them in a myriad of ways. Additionally, there is an increasing amount of disrespect for the profession that is becoming evident at everything from day-to-day school to board meetings and everything. That's not a union talking point- it's a reality I see every day. A large population of kids have a host of issues as you mentioned and when some people in here are saying "Just kick them to the next school" there is no reason to take them seriously. They aren't fixing, or attempting to fix, the problem. They are just passing it along and the kids suffer. 

There are plenty of issues in schools, but some of them are more real or pressing and some of them are political fodder issues. I "downplay" the latter because the reality is they are not as prevalent as it is being presented as being. If you want to give specific issues I'll speak honestly on them. I don't have a union head on here so I don't particularly care who or what I offend.

4 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I dont think that at all. HT is not dumb by any stretch. He is just seems more anti teacher and I am pro teacher..so we battle it out.  We each have our own experience to work from.  We both can be right but in this case it is more me.

I've seen him say things on all types of subjects, respectfully I disagree on HT. He comes off disconnected from reality far more often than not. 

10 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I taught in 2000 in Stamford Ct.  

The problem is ALWAYS the administration.  

Ever go to the Playwright? There was a 70’s place back then too. And Tigen was good.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ever go to the Playwright? There was a 70’s place back then too. And Tigen was good.  

No.  Lived in Norwalk.  Bobby V’s was my hang.

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

No.  Lived in Norwalk.  Bobby V’s was my hang.

I liked that place too. 

56 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I taught in 2000 in Stamford Ct.  

The problem is ALWAYS the administration.  

Similar to just about every issue, it's rarely ever one thing that is the problem.  Our public education system is no different and each school has their own issues.

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

I'm always willing to criticize idiots in my profession and I generally think teachers would be better served by not posting things to TikTok and Instagram and whatever else they are doing. But I do think just posting those videos and saying "This is what's wrong" is disingenuous because we have no idea what the context of any of it is. If the context is bad additionally then yeah criticize away. Also, I'm very critical of teachers who have not evolved in 20 years of their profession or who refuse to try and challenge kids because it means they would have to create extra lessons or do some more work. 

To be very clear- I'm not criticizing involved parents. Never said that and there is no need to assume I am. What I am criticizing are the parents (that are a larger number than people think and growing) that think schools are a babysitting service but then get mad when a kid gets in trouble for a legitimate reason. As I said before- people are increasing the roles of schools but decreasing their support for them in a myriad of ways. Additionally, there is an increasing amount of disrespect for the profession that is becoming evident at everything from day-to-day school to board meetings and everything. That's not a union talking point- it's a reality I see every day. A large population of kids have a host of issues as you mentioned and when some people in here are saying "Just kick them to the next school" there is no reason to take them seriously. They aren't fixing, or attempting to fix, the problem. They are just passing it along and the kids suffer. 

There are plenty of issues in schools, but some of them are more real or pressing and some of them are political fodder issues. I "downplay" the latter because the reality is they are not as prevalent as it is being presented as being. If you want to give specific issues I'll speak honestly on them. I don't have a union head on here so I don't particularly care who or what I offend.

I'll keep an eye open for your being critical of teachers. We've seen some idiot teachers, as you mentioned on TikTok. I feel I went out on a limb there and maybe I got that wrong and if so, I apologize.

For me, it boils down to two major fault lines where the public school teaching has lost my trust and why I would be very hesitant to send my kids to public schools: CRT and the LGBTQ issues. The teachers have screwed these issues up in a big time way. It seems that many radical activists find their way into the professions, likely on purpose. Parents and school boards have had to take these things seriously and seem to be alert to them. All that rioting over nonsense in 2020, deliberately stoking and enflaming racial tensions, was too much. They're tearing down George Washington Statues and a large chunk are embracing Marxism. That's just unacceptable and its because we've been tolerating and turning a blind eye to this. The other stat I'm seeing is 1/6 member of Gen Z are on the LGBTQ spectrum. Schools are at the forefront of this too from trans bathrooms to trans athletes.. Tolerance has turned to promotion and parents with deliberately excluded from the equation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, butI don't think in the past you've expressed very much concern for parents' position on these issues. I know with me, any school or therapist (we don't use therapists, but just saying 'if') I send my kids to, these would be front and center concerns to steer clear of.

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'll keep an eye open for your being critical of teachers. We've seen some idiot teachers, as you mentioned on TikTok. I feel I went out on a limb there and maybe I got that wrong and if so, I apologize.

For me, it boils down to two major fault lines where the public school teaching has lost my trust and why I would be very hesitant to send my kids to public schools: CRT and the LGBTQ issues. The teachers have screwed these issues up in a big time way. It seems that many radical activists find their way into the professions, likely on purpose. Parents and school boards have had to take these things seriously and seem to be alert to them. All that rioting over nonsense in 2020, deliberately stoking and enflaming racial tensions, was too much. They're tearing down George Washington Statues and a large chunk are embracing Marxism. That's just unacceptable and its because we've been tolerating and turning a blind eye to this. The other stat I'm seeing is 1/6 member of Gen Z are on the LGBTQ spectrum. Schools are at the forefront of this too from trans bathrooms to trans athletes.. Tolerance has turned to promotion and parents with deliberately excluded from the equation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, butI don't think in the past you've expressed very much concern for parents' position on these issues. I know with me, any school or therapist (we don't use therapists, but just saying 'if') I send my kids to, these would be front and center concerns to steer clear of.

I'm not sure specific questions you have so I'll respond in a general sense to things. If you need/want more detail to specific things I can do that as well.

I'm not sold there is a large majority of teachers that would legitimately be classified as "radical activists." What I think you have is a lot of younger teachers entering the profession thinking they are John Keating in Dead Poets Society overhauling the entire profession. For many young teachers the best place to enter the profession is inner city schools because the turnover is so high there. So they come out with all these ideas of equity, and fairness, and changing the culture and naturally some of that becomes enhanced because of where they are. But there is also a heavy burnout rate with those teachers because they eventually realize that reality does not fit their perception.

As to racial issues and LGBTQ type stuff it is a fine line to walk because kids do care about these issues and want to discuss them but it becomes a sticky subject to approach. For me, I am very much on the line of staying out of it as much as I can. Again- I'm not here to tell kids what to think, I'm here to get them to think about what they think. So when we read a book that has racial issues in it- we have to discuss it but I let the kids talk it out and stay out of it as much as possible. We read 1984 in class and we speak about a lot of political things as part of it. I look to draw connections to the more goofy sides of both parties to help kids connect it to the current climate. 

LGBTQ issues I never really ever discuss. I'm not a health class and there is not much we ever do that would warrant a discussion of it. The only conversations I ever have are in my role as a counselor at school and those are student driven and parents are brought into the conversation at some point.

CRT I know it is a boogeyman right now but the reality of it in a classroom is different than what is being presented. Even still, I'm comfortable with showing my lessons plans and units to parents to comb through. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I'm not sure specific questions you have so I'll respond in a general sense to things. If you need/want more detail to specific things I can do that as well.

I'm not sold there is a large majority of teachers that would legitimately be classified as "radical activists." What I think you have is a lot of younger teachers entering the profession thinking they are John Keating in Dead Poets Society overhauling the entire profession. For many young teachers the best place to enter the profession is inner city schools because the turnover is so high there. So they come out with all these ideas of equity, and fairness, and changing the culture and naturally some of that becomes enhanced because of where they are. But there is also a heavy burnout rate with those teachers because they eventually realize that reality does not fit their perception.

As to racial issues and LGBTQ type stuff it is a fine line to walk because kids do care about these issues and want to discuss them but it becomes a sticky subject to approach. For me, I am very much on the line of staying out of it as much as I can. Again- I'm not here to tell kids what to think, I'm here to get them to think about what they think. So when we read a book that has racial issues in it- we have to discuss it but I let the kids talk it out and stay out of it as much as possible. We read 1984 in class and we speak about a lot of political things as part of it. I look to draw connections to the more goofy sides of both parties to help kids connect it to the current climate. 

LGBTQ issues I never really ever discuss. I'm not a health class and there is not much we ever do that would warrant a discussion of it. The only conversations I ever have are in my role as a counselor at school and those are student driven and parents are brought into the conversation at some point.

CRT I know it is a boogeyman right now but the reality of it in a classroom is different than what is being presented. Even still, I'm comfortable with showing my lessons plans and units to parents to comb through. 

I always thought you seemed more reasonable than your reputation around here. You deserve better treatment IMO although we all tend to get carried away sinking into the mud around here.

This is pretty good. I do think CRT in it's various forms is way more prevalent than you acknowledge. History and current events ae designed to deliberately enflame racial tensions and animosity rather than emphasis unity, equality, understanding and downplay resentments.

You misinterpret what I said in one thing and I'd like to clarify, I'd never thought a large majority of teachers are radical activists. I do think a significant minority are though and it's a problem. I think a large majority are more like you.

I am gratified that we caught the insurgency of CRT, and it was put on display, and that parents fought to oppose it.

While it cannot be easily found, and certainly is not "everywhere", it is out there like a virus. And the racial hucksters are well-skilled at pretending it away.

I have not heard of it in my locality, though it was rather well-spread in Northern Virginia.  I continue to probe my last high school kid here and there about what he is learning in class, if I even get a whiff of something that could be CRT-centric, we will pull him out of there.

12 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I always thought you seemed more reasonable than your reputation around here. You deserve better treatment IMO although we all tend to get carried away sinking into the mud around here.

This is pretty good. I do think CRT in it's various forms is way more prevalent than you acknowledge. History and current events ae designed to deliberately enflame racial tensions and animosity rather than emphasis unity, equality, understanding and downplay resentments.

You misinterpret what I said in one thing and I'd like to clarify, I'd never thought a large majority of teachers are radical activists. I do think a significant minority are though and it's a problem. I think a large majority are more like you.

On the first part it's fine. I don't take offense. Most of the anger seems to come from HT and Utilit99 and I honestly don't respect either of their opinions on anything. I've no problem discussing things with anyone else here- even when I disagree with them. Disagreement is a part of discourse.

As to CRT- the most I could go with is, there are teachers who step too far in what they are talking about. I would venture a guess too there are some teachers who create bad assignments that delve into these things. For me, I teach English- I would never ever create an assignment where I asked someone to write about white privilege. There is no way to even remotely discuss that. Additionally, I'm in a more rural very conservative district (where estimates say 27%) of teachers are. It would serve me no benefit to go deep into these discussions. Either way- many states, mine included, are passing laws that school curriculum must be posted in full online along with what we do in lessons. So if CRT is super prevalent in a large swath of the country it will quickly be seen. My guess is, by the time all of it is out there for view the focus will have moved onto the next issue. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Teachers Who Insist They're Not Teaching Your Kid About Sex Also Weirdly Outraged By Ban On Teaching Your Kid About Sex

https://babylonbee.com/news/teachers-who-insist-theyre-not-teaching-your-kid-about-sex-also-weirdly-outraged-by-ban-on-teaching-your-kid-about-sex

Looks like you're spending some quality time on babylon bee this afternoon.

31 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Looks like you're spending some quality time on babylon bee this afternoon.

Those are pretty well written articles. They really point out the lunacy of what is going on in this country. 

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Those are pretty well written articles. They really point out the lunacy of what is going on in this country. 

I agree.  They can be pretty humorous but it's still just satire.

Desantis signed the anti groomer bill today, despite what Disney (full of pedos) and the teachers union (a fair amount of pedos) had to say. Good to see it. 

• Confused 2

Why do teachers want to talk to kids about sex and gender issues? And why are they fighting so hard to do so? 

49 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why do teachers want to talk to kids about sex and gender issues? And why are they fighting so hard to do so? 

My guess would be that their students want to discuss it and the teachers want to be able to talk to them about it.  I think the majority of teachers really care about their students and they want to be able to help them with any questions or concerns they may have.  Not all students feel comfortable talking to their family or friends about stuff like that.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My guess would be that their students want to discuss it and the teachers want to be able to talk to them about it.  I think the majority of teachers really care about their students and they want to be able to help them with any questions or concerns they may have.  Not all students feel comfortable talking to their family or friends about stuff like that.

Man, this is wild.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Tough. No. Not their place. And why do they want to so bad? Creepy. 

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Man, this is wild.

Did teachers somehow get it in their heads that they are saviors? Don’t talk to kids about sex. It’s simple. Fockin creeps. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tough. No. Not their place. And why do they want to so bad? Creepy. 

I literally just explained why I think they do.  They care about their students.  I think it would be good for a lot of you to get opinions on why from a variety of teachers, not just ones you're friends with.  Read some articles on teacher opinions.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I literally just explained why I think they do.  They care about their students.  I think it would be good for a lot of you to get opinions on why from a variety of teachers, not just ones you're friends with.  Read some articles on teacher opinions.

They care? Good. Don’t talk about sex with your students. You barely know them and won’t know them for long. Plus it’s creepy as Fock. And I don’t want you to. Get a permission slip. They are my kids. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't think you get the point that teachers opinions don't matter in this instance.  It's telling how these teachers you speak of, who have known these kids for a few months, have become the saviors for kids with these rogue parents.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They care? Good. Don’t talk about sex with your students. You barely know them and won’t know them for long. Plus it’s creepy as Fock. And I don’t want you to. Get a permission slip. They are my kids. 

1 minute ago, Fireballer said:

I don't think you get the point that teachers opinions don't matter in this instance.  It's telling how these teachers you speak of, who have known these kids for a few months, have become the saviors for kids with these rogue parents.  

In a scenario where a students goes to a teacher after class and says they would like to talk to them about sex, what do you want that teacher to do?  What if the student says they can't talk to a family member about it?  I'm guessing you're going to say they should send them to the counselor, which I agree with.  Now, what if the student doesn't feel comfortable with the counselor either but trusts their teacher instead?  Students spend more time with their teachers and they can form more trust with them.

I know that not every situation would be like this.  I'm also not saying a teacher should go out of their way to talk to students about sex, especially if a student didn't ask too.  That would be creepy.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In a scenario where a students goes to a teacher after class and says they would like to talk to them about sex, what do you want that teacher to do?  What if the student says they can't talk to a family member about it?  I'm guessing you're going to say they should send them to the counselor, which I agree with.  Now, what if the student doesn't feel comfortable with the counselor either but trusts their teacher instead?  Students spend more time with their teachers and they can form more trust with them.

I know that not every situation would be like this.  I'm also not saying a teacher should go out of their way to talk to students about sex, especially if a student didn't ask too.  That would be creepy.

Ask me if you can. Until then, no.  My kids, my rules. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? 

The public education system has mostly worked to my eyes, for kids who are not stupid....:dunno:

Just now, RLLD said:

The public education system has mostly worked to my eyes, for kids who are not stupid....:dunno:

Kids that are not stupid overcome the public school system. 

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I only read the first 2 sentences but I can tell you it's not the teachers issue. End of story.  It's in NO way the educational systems issue to judge how a family should work through something. If it's a issue of student safety, it becomes a law enforcement issue.