Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2022 Masters Thread**

6 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Scheffler

J. Niemann

It's hard to ignore Scheffler at this point.  He's got it all.

15 hours ago, BufordT said:

It's hard to ignore Scheffler at this point.  He's got it all.

Agreed. Much as I hate chalk picks, he’s a wrecking ball right now. 

On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Fumbleweed said:

The Masters is now just a little more than a month away and will be preceded by five more weeks of tournaments. For a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List is certain to change as players round into form and/or fall out of it in the noted tournaments preceding Augusta. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Xander Schauffele- This will be a popular pick and perhaps he breaks through at the US Open instead, but hard to see past Xander's success here the past 3-4 years. His place at the top of this list is probably etched in stone for me barring an injury. 

2. Patrick Cantlay- Every week...he's right there. Simply playing the most consistent golf in the world over the past eight months and I would put 50/50 odds on him claiming a major in the next two years. Why not here?

3. Cameron Smith- Another player whose recent form both at Augusta and in general is difficult to ignore. Should be a scoring machine on the par-5s come April. 

4. Rory McIlroy- I'm torn as to whether Rory will ever win at Augusta or not. I do think he's got another major or two in him, though. As such, he's a contender anytime he tees it up. 

5. Colin Morikawa- With Rahm in a somewhat perilous putting slump, I think Morikawa will go into the Masters as the #1 ranked player in the world. He's built for majors and has the mental fortitude to pick off another one here. 

6. Joaquin Niemann- How can you not be impressed by what he did at the Genesis? This kid is rising fast and may be the highest ranked player on the International team this fall in the President's Cup. Game well suited for Augusta. 

7. Viktor Hovland- Right beside Cantlay in terms of consistency, it is impossible at present to leave Hovland out of any top-10 on any week...Masters week included. 

8. Justin ThomasForm coming together such that he cannot be left out of the top ten. Solid play in past two tournaments has him trending in right direction. 

9. Billy Horschel- Has quietly enjoyed a resurgence this fall and winter. Playing too good to ignore and I think he'll surprise many with a top ten in Augusta. 

10. Max Homa-  This is an eye test pick. Have watched him play over the past year and his game looks as good as any player out there. Maybe he struggles to live up to this ranking, but I'm willing to slide him into the top ten based on what my eyes tell me at present. 

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Jon Rahm, Jordan Spieth, Will Zalatoris, Hideki Matsuyama, Paul Casey, Daniel Berger, Scottie Scheffler 

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2022, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, Bryson DeChambeau,  Brooks Koepka,  Webb Simpson, Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Rose, Louis Oosthuzien, Tyrell Hatton, Matthew Fitzpatrick

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Abraham Ancer, Sam Burns, Talor Gooch, Garrick Higgo,  Sungjae Im, Si Woo Kim, K.H. Lee, Robert MacIntyre,  Matthew Wolff

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Harris English, Sergio Garcia, Brian Harman, Russell Henley, Kevin Kisner, Jason Kokrak, Marc Leishman,  Shane Lowry, Thomas Pieters, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Lee Westwood, Gary Woodland

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Christian Bezuidenhout, Cameron Champ, Stewart Cink, Corey Conners, Cameron Davis, Lucas Glover, Harry Higgs, Lucas Herbert,  Tom Hoge, MacKenzie Hughes, Zach Johnson, Takumi Kanaya, Min Woo Lee, Luke List, Phil Mickelson, Guido Migliozzi,  Francesco Molinari, Kevin Na, Ryan Palmer, Seamus Power, Charl Schwartzel, Sepp Straka, Hudson Swafford, Cameron Tringale, Erick van Rooyen, Harold Varner, Danny Willett

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Fred Couples, Padraig Harrington, Trevor Immelman, Bernhard Langer, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Jose Maria Olazabal, Vijay Singh, Mike Weir, Ian Woosnam, All amateurs

Probably not playing due to injury: Tiger Woods

I had wanted to give my thoughts on this earlier but just getting around to it now.

I wouldn't have and still don't have Xander in my top 10. I would have to put Scheffler in there now, obviously and might have had him there after just the 2 wins. I also would have Rahm and Hideki in there before Xander as well. I wouldn't want to be too chalky but think i'd drop Rory out in favor of Rahm or Hideki.   Could I find a place for all of them at the expense of Neimann, Billy and Homa? absolutely, but that becomes too chalky.

of your next tiers, Zalatoris drops a tier for me. I dont think he has the short game for Augusta. 

I might move Brooks and Fitzpatrick up to that tier.

Matt Wolff would be down in my "punchers chance, shocking winner" section.

I would move Burns up a rung or two

and of course  Not playing due to mouth: Phil Mickelson :doh:

7 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

of your next tiers, Zalatoris drops a tier for me. I dont think he has the short game for Augusta. 

He isn't a good putter but can you say this about a guy who finished 1 stroke behind alone in 2nd place in his first Masters start last year?

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

He isn't a good putter but can you say this about a guy who finished 1 stroke behind alone in 2nd place in his first Masters start last year?

Yes because I think his short game has gotten worse. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Maybe.  He did make quite a few clutch putts this past weekend.  

20 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

In regards to this. The commentators did make mention over the weekend that he has been experimenting with a new putting stroke and it did look a bit better. Taking him in an EdEx early though is still a risk when we are talking about Augusta greens. 

24 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Ill probably be way off and he will be in the final group on the weekend …

but I will also say, putting is generally easier in match play for these guys. A lot of make or miss scenarios where you can be more aggressive because you don’t care about three putting / missing the short come-backer. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Ill probably be way off and he will be in the final group on the weekend …

but I will also say, putting is generally easier in match play for these guys. A lot of make or miss scenarios where you can be more aggressive because you don’t care about three putting / missing the short come-backer. 

Thats true.  

But Matsuyama is the poster boy for being great tee to green and just unable to make putts.  Yet he won last year.  He does have a solid chipping/pitching game.  But his MO is being a bad putter.  

On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Fumbleweed said:

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2022, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, Bryson DeChambeau,  Brooks Koepka,  Webb Simpson, Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Rose, Louis Oosthuzien, Tyrell Hatton, Matthew Fitzpatrick

At least 3 of the top 10 will come from this group and the winner, IMO. Experience is invaluable at the Masters. 

Also how is Scottie Scheffler not in your top 3, much less top 10?

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Thats true.  

But Matsuyama is the poster boy for being great tee to green and just unable to make putts.  Yet he won last year.  He does have a solid chipping/pitching game.  But his MO is being a bad putter.  

Also true. Better around the green and a better putter than Zalatoris and had more masters under his belt but as you said, Zalatoris did great in his debut so 🤷🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

At least 3 of the top 10 will come from this group and the winner, IMO. Experience is invaluable at the Masters. 

Also how is Scottie Scheffler not in your top 3, much less top 10?

The rankings were first formulated about a month ago...am updating them this morning. 

Original post updated likely for the last time. Took Morikawa out of the Top Ten as I just don't think his game is sharp right now. Inserted Scheffler for obvious reasons. 

28 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

The rankings were first formulated about a month ago...am updating them this morning. 

Sorry, after I posted I realized they probably hadn't been updated. 

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

If you havent heard by now, Tiger Woods has arrived at Augusta. 

@KSB2424 just got a boner

4 hours ago, remote controller said:

I don't know if Lefty will ever regain his shine.  Colossal F up!!  ........and really no one has his back.

No one can have his back.  They too would be ostracized.  

4 hours ago, remote controller said:

I don't know if Lefty will ever regain his shine.  Colossal F up!!  ........and really no one has his back.

I would assume this is a safe assumption. His peers did nickname him FIGJAM afterall

hovland

matsuyama

kisner

fleetwood

10 hours ago, remote controller said:

Vick, Roethlisbeger, Kobe, M. Irvin, and ummmm Tiger - all not only came back from scandal, they all basically thrived. 

Phil will be fine after a while. 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:50 PM, Cruzer said:

Vick, Roethlisbeger, Kobe, M. Irvin, and ummmm Tiger - all not only came back from scandal, they all basically thrived. 

Phil will be fine after a while. 

I don't think so.  Not one person has stepped up for him.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:36 AM, remote controller said:

I don't think so.  Not one person has stepped up for him.

Vick had a support posse defending him? When TW's scandal broke, sponsors dumped him like a hot potato - his peers stuck their heads in the sand and distanced as fast as they could. 

Phil didn't kill puppies, cheat on his wife or get busted with dope. He made an off comment about a rat's ass tour. If not for oil, nobody would give 2 shiits about the Saudis anyway.....This will pass eventually. 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:45 PM, Cruzer said:

If not for oil, nobody would give 2 shiits about the Saudis anyway.....This will pass eventually. 

I agree with you completely but that has been the biggest IF in the world for 70 years. 

On 4/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, Cruzer said:

Vick had a support posse defending him? When TW's scandal broke, sponsors dumped him like a hot potato - his peers stuck their heads in the sand and distanced as fast as they could. 

Phil didn't kill puppies, cheat on his wife or get busted with dope. He made an off comment about a rat's ass tour. If not for oil, nobody would give 2 shiits about the Saudis anyway.....This will pass eventually. 

Agreed. 

only slight difference is that Phil is on the wrong side of 50 and aside from that magical PGA, hasn’t done anything. Tiger was young enough that he was able to come back and be a darling again. 

i might be the biggest Phil fan on this board but I fully believe the PGA will hold a grudge and if Phil isn’t winning or bringing fans the way he used to or the way the new wave of young guys can, the PGA won’t forgive/forget like they should. 

1 hour ago, remote controller said:

I think he is suspended indefinitely.

link?

idiot.

I believe he might be suspended. I think Rory said something in a press conference about wishing the tour was a little more transparent with player discipline. So I think it’s fair to believe his “taking time away” is not totally his choice 

27 minutes ago, remote controller said:

It's finally cleared up.  'We Did Not Disinvite Phil.' Augusta Chairman Sheds Light on Phil Mickelson’s Absence at Masters - Morning Read

It had been widely rumored that Phil had been secretly suspended.

This actually just means Augusta didn’t ask him not to come. Doesn’t mean the PGA hasn’t suspended him and allowed him to spin it as a personal choice. 

I really didn’t believe that was the case until the announcement he would miss the Masters. If Phil wants to add more majors at his age, Augusta and the Open championship will be his best chances. 

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

This actually just means Augusta didn’t ask him not to come. Doesn’t mean the PGA hasn’t suspended him and allowed him to spin it as a personal choice. 

I don't believe he was suspended. Don't see any grounds the PGA would have for doing so - unless it was gambling related, not free speech. 

Scheffler, Fleetwood, Koepka, Morikowa, Z Johnson, Homa

My fan duel picks.

I'd post my picks this week but I think there's a character limit :D

Love the Masters app on my phone.  :thumbsup:

The Tiger love fest on Golf Channel has officially spun out of control

Harry Higgs out to -2 early :overhead: