Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Giving up _________ for Lent

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, and @TommyGavin's thread about diet made me think about this.  I was raised Catholic but don't currently practice, and I'm not trying to argue the existence of a sky god or his son or anything particularly related to Christianity, or why Catholicism enables blah blah blah..  That being said I'm looking for some spiritual direction, and there is a lot to be said for sacrifice and introspection.  And physically, for fasting.

As such, I do verily decree that I am giving up alcohol for Lent.  There, I said it, it's out there, I can't take it back.  I've gotten into some bad habits and that needs to end if I'm going to keep on living, well.  I'm drinking tonight for Fat Tuesday and having fun with Biden stumbling thru his speech.

If anyone wants to do a sacrifice/fast during this time feel free to post it here.  :cheers:

I wish I could give up alcohol for lent. I only drink ~3 days a week right now, but still not ready to go over a month without a drink. Hopefully next year I can do that.

I have gotten off my exercise routine and I will try to exercise every day for lent.

I never give up anything for Lent.  Raised Lutheran, although my dad is Catholic and we ate fish on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent.  I'm on a low carb diet so I already give up plenty.  I love fish so that's not a sacrifice.

I've given up alcohol before, sugar, etc.  I'm not Catholic anymore so I stopped doing that sh!t.  I can't give up alcohol anymore.

Good thread, Skids.

Ends on April 14th.

Begins tomorrow.

I'll do cigarettes.  A disgusting habit that I just picked back up and am sincerely ashamed.  

I was thinking alcohol but with the world right now and my life, I am unsure if I can do that and keep my word.

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Good thread, Skids.

Ends on April 14th.

Begins tomorrow.

I'll do cigarettes.  A disgusting habit that I just picked back up and am sincerely ashamed.  

I was thinking alcohol but with the world right now and my life, I am unsure if I can do that and keep my word.

This is awesome and what I was hoping for.  Feel free to PM me if you are feeling the urge, I'll do the same.  :cheers:

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

This is awesome and what I was hoping for.  Feel free to PM me if you are feeling the urge, I'll do the same.  :cheers:

Thank you sir, and will do.  And please do as well.

58 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I wish I could give up alcohol for lent. I only drink ~3 days a week right now, but still not ready to go over a month without a drink. Hopefully next year I can do that.

I have gotten off my exercise routine and I will try to exercise every day for lent.

With all due respect, "next year" is a crock.  You know it, I know it, because I've been there.  I'll do it _______________.  Bullshiot.  Join us now!  :cheers: 

My mom used to serve salmon patties that were dry as hell. I mean literally, to remind me of the stuff that the janitor throws on vomit in school. That and Hot Cross Buns because there's a cross on them and apparently that's some religious thing.

But the worst part was stewed tomatoes. Now they have their purpose in cooking. But they are never intended to just be opened up and dropped out of a can into a saucepan and for warming and consumption.  Seriously, it looks like a right to life commercial. The texture is absolutely disgusting. The Turpin kids didn't go through that much Truama. And the sound of those things slipping out of the can was absolutely disgusting, was like removing your fist from an octopus anus. 

Effing A, my mom could be an exceptional level cook when she applied herself. But this was like some sort of f****** corporal punishment.

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

My mom used to serve salmon patties that were dry as hell. I mean literally, to remind me of the stuff that the janitor throws on vomit in school. That and Hot Cross Buns because there's a cross on them and apparently that's some religious thing.

But the worst part was stewed tomatoes. Now they have their purpose in cooking. But they are never intended to just be opened up and dropped out of a can into a saucepan and for warming and consumption.  Seriously, it looks like a right to life commercial. The texture is absolutely disgusting. The Turpin kids didn't go through that much Truama. And the sound of those things slipping out of the can was absolutely disgusting, was like removing your fist from an octopus anus. 

Effing A, my mom could be an exceptional level cook when she applied herself. But this was like some sort of f****** corporal punishment.

:lol:

I had to google Turpin kids.

Holy fock, Wiff is back!!!

Cmon people, rally and find something you want to improve in your life.  :cheers: 

im catholic. always try to give up something. doing beer this year.  thats a hoog fockin sacrifice for me for sure. no meat on fridays is easy. i pretty much try do that all year anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

With all due respect, "next year" is a crock.  You know it, I know it, because I've been there.  I'll do it _______________.  Bullshiot.  Join us now!  :cheers: 

Too many exceptions this year, I am going to drink over spring break with my dad for example. 

I quit drinking 19 months ago.  Now I gotta give up something else?  :wall:

For the record I am NOT doing that diet that half my office is doing. (They had to eat 5000 calories Saturday and Sunday - each day) then drop to 800 calories a day - 2 meals a day 4 Oz protein. Lots of other restrictions. One chick thought she was having a heart attack after second day of 5000 calories. 

Anyway my goal is to loose as much as them without the doctor involvement- one thing was in SO coincidental - plan on eating a lot of fish. Like mostly fish for the 42 days they are doing this thing. 
(Disclaimer the first gut that did it lost 37 pounds in 42 days - so there is that. )

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

Blame it on Voltaire.

Lying motherfocking Chinese kunts

Just now, Strike said:

I quit drinking 19 months ago.  Now I gotta give up something else?  :wall:

Trying not to suck?

Jerking off?

Trying not to suck while jerking off?

Chocolate?

1 minute ago, TommyGavin said:

For the record I am NOT doing that diet that half my office is doing. (They had to eat 5000 calories Saturday and Sunday - each day) then drop to 800 calories a day - 2 meals a day 4 Oz protein. Lots of other restrictions. One chick thought she was having a heart attack after second day of 5000 calories. 

Anyway my goal is to loose as much as them without the doctor involvement- one thing was in SO coincidental - plan on eating a lot of fish. Like mostly fish for the 42 days they are doing this thing. 
(Disclaimer the first gut guy. * typo but this fits in !!! that did it lost 37 pounds in 42 days - so there is that. )

I honestly look forward to stop smoking again and appreciate this thread giving me the incentive that I should never have needed.  I literally feel like dogshit since I started again.  It is the most absurd habit.  Absolute idiocy.  

• Like 2

Badges we don’t need no stinking badges. 

Told this group of friends I’d stop saying Fawk at the restaurant. Anyone hers me say it, punch me as hart as possible. A week in, I’m bruised beyond recognition.    Me: Stop you mother fawking assholles. I love you but I lost. 
 Never again!!!👻

10 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Too many exceptions this year, I am going to drink over spring break with my dad for example. 

Yeah, my brother is coming for a weekend in a few weeks, the last time I saw him was two weeks before my surgery (18 months ago).  He's not a huge drinker these days though, and he's way more Catholic than I am, so we'll see.  I may make an exception, haven't decided.  I do tend to struggle with making the perfect the enemy of the good though, so if I do break the fast I need to get right back on it.

23 minutes ago, posty said:

Chocolate
Alcohol

I thought you didn't drink.  🤔

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I thought you didn't drink.  🤔

I don't and I am allergic to chocolate, so I already win!!!  That is the beauty of it...

(These are my choices every Lent.)

17 hours ago, fandandy said:

I honestly look forward to stop smoking again and appreciate this thread giving me the incentive that I should never have needed.  I literally feel like dogshit since I started again.  It is the most absurd habit.  Absolute idiocy.  

You can do it and if you need a little more incentive my doc told me smoking was the main cause of my heart attack last April and I'd already been off of them since November 11th.

Checking in.  Day 1 is going well, I'm approaching the time of night where I'd start winding down the drinking anyway.

Also we went to church for the Ash Wednesday liturgy, got some cross smudges on the forehead.  I think I've been to church once since Covid, and we weren't exactly regular attendees before.  But like I said this is part of a little spiritual journey.  Our plan is attend mass every weekend until Easter and see if it sticks.  

Hope it's going well for @fandandy, @porkbutt, and anyone else giving something up. :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Checking in.  Day 1 is going well, I'm approaching the time of night where I'd start winding down the drinking anyway.

Also we went to church for the Ash Wednesday liturgy, got some cross smudges on the forehead.  I think I've been to church once since Covid, and we weren't exactly regular attendees before.  But like I said this is part of a little spiritual journey.  Our plan is attend mass every weekend until Easter and see if it sticks.  

Hope it's going well for @fandandy, @porkbutt, and anyone else giving something up. :thumbsup: 

Do you find that cracker Jesus gets stuck in your neck hole.? 

That's gotta be embarassing: "ah christ! ACK!"

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

Do you find that cracker Jesus gets stuck in your neck hole.? 

That's gotta be embarassing: "ah christ! ACK!"

It wasn't a full mass, just the liturgy of the word, then ashes.  Even so, my trachea and esophagus are completely disconnected, so choking is one of the few things I'm actually at lower risk to get.  

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

It wasn't a full mass, just the liturgy of the word, then ashes.  Even so, my trachea and esophagus are completely disconnected, so choking is one of the few things I'm actually at lower risk to get.  

I think you're missing the point. Still, the idea of you doing Bill the Cat at Church makes me grin. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/wDP2WLZetdw2k2W78

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Haven't smoked yet.  I may or may not have put my last cigarette out past midnight but it was close.  Within seconds.  Minute maybe.  I was cheefing it down.

How's the drinking going, Skids?  

And did Skibum stop hanging out with his dad yet?