Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

My daughter needs a place in NYC for 3 months

47 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Chiming in late on this thread.  This is a decent neighborhood and very close to the subway and Central Park access.  Riverside Park is also just a few blocks away.  

Not late and I appreciate the help.  I thought about tagging you but I hadn't seen you around much.  :cheers: 

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Not late and I appreciate the help.  I thought about tagging you but I hadn't seen you around much.  :cheers: 

I havent been here in about 6 months.  Came over this morning and saw this thread.  There are a lot of a good suggestions here (and a few that are less good).  You may have already found this out, but Hoboken is just as pricey as NY at this point and sublets are not so easy to find.  You seem to have hit the correct focus area searching around for sublets.  I'll check back in over the next few days to see how it's going.  

My son just took a job in NYC after graduation.  He plans to live at home for at least 6 months to get his bank account into shape, but he will likely be going through a similar exercise later this year or next.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We've got a video chat and virtual tour on the west side place tomorrow, wish us luck.

Also, what questions should we ask, like how big are the rats?  Serious suggestions appreciated as well.  :cheers: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

We've got a video chat and virtual tour on the west side place tomorrow, wish us luck.

Also, what questions should we ask, like how big are the rats?  Serious suggestions appreciated as well.  :cheers: 

Whereabouts on the West side?

The rats are yuge. 🐀 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Whereabouts on the West side?

The rats are yuge. 🐀 

107th between Manhattan and Columbus Aves

The fashion daughter is a huge animal lover; she has a cat who is frankly the suckiest pet I've ever seen and she loves it to death.  I mentioned that there may be rats bigger than her cat; her response was "I'd probably bring them in as pets."  :dunno:

I don't really see a way to resolve things like if there are rats, unless you guys have any suggestions.  :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

The fashion daughter is a huge animal lover; she has a cat who is frankly the suckiest pet I've ever seen and she loves it to death.  I mentioned that there may be rats bigger than her cat; her response was "I'd probably bring them in as pets."  :dunno:

I don't really see a way to resolve things like if there are rats, unless you guys have any suggestions.  :thumbsup: 

She’ll be Shattered if she doesn’t get it. 

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I have never had a rat issue - no idea what you do there. 

Hope the place works out for her Jer. 👍🏻 

42 minutes ago, MDC said:

I have never had a rat issue - no idea what you do there.  

This coming from the biggest rat on this board.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

This coming from the biggest rat on this board.

• Haha 1

Update$#@!

Virtual tour/call delayed until tomorrow at request of agent.  I was (am still a little) concerned because the timing of the call was right at the end of a scheduled open house.  But when my daughter called for today's call, he only mentioned two girls who came by yesterday but hadn't applied, nothing about anyone today being interested.  It seemed from the call that the short term lease was causing him problems renting it; he offered to lower their fee because it is only 3 months.  So I don't think he has other buyers on the hook and is using us as "Plan B", but I'm a little concerned about being wrong and "closing the deal" on this.

But at this point I'm letting the (older) daughter take point and we'll wait until the call tomorrow.  If there isn't a clear path to closure tomorrow, I'll step in.  :thumbsup: 

Probably delayed because of the exploding manhole covers in Times Square today...  Maybe?

The agent called my daughter asking to delay again, to 2PM our time (5PM EDT) because he'll be there already showing it to someone else.  He's totally slow playing us at this point.

Daughter told him that if we don't talk today he can eat a bag of d1cks and we are moving on.  He said he understands.  We'll see if we actually talk.

Meanwhile I'm presuming this ship has sailed and starting to look for other options.

Just got an email from my company about a possible terror incident at the 4th and 36th Street subway station in Brooklyn. Gunfire and an explosion.

Avoid all subway stations in the NYC area.  My own job is telling me to not go there. Not that I do anyway. :dunno:

On 4/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, Utilit99 said:

Just got an email from my company about a possible terror incident at the 4th and 36th Street subway station in Brooklyn. Gunfire and an explosion.

Avoid all subway stations in the NYC area.  My own job is telling me to not go there. Not that I do anyway. :dunno:

Thanks, yeah, no bueno...

So the west side place just went poof.  Really weird, it's like a scam where they don't seem to want to get your money.  Anyway, moving on.

Change of strategy, because although the pricing on the scammish place was good, it had a 3 month minimum, and as we looked into it we really only need 2 months or so.  So we're back to Airbnb which at least has some level of protection, and here is a place on the Jersey side but close to a bus that goes into Times Square.  Plus I'm pretty much viewing any short-term thing on Zillow as shady at this point.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13173832?adults=2&check_in=2022-05-13&display_extensions[0]=MONTHLY_STAYS&federated_search_id=c216c46e-503a-421c-ba1b-f22c10472b9d&source_impression_id=p3_1649800665_c7z5tL0t7dX1w3rp&guests=1&check_out=2022-07-15

Not exactly an immersive Manhattan living experience but not super expensive and avoids the subways.

Thoughts from my NY peeps or others who have helped?  :cheers:  @Hardcore troubadour @vomit @fricker66 @MDC

@jerryskids I don’t know Union City well but it’s commutable to NY and you’re not going to do better than that price. It’s also close to Hoboken - I’ve spent a lot of time there and it’s awesome. Looks like you found a winner. 

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks, yeah, no bueno...

So the west side place just went poof.  Really weird, it's like a scam where they don't seem to want to get your money.  Anyway, moving on.

Change of strategy, because although the pricing on the scammish place was good, it had a 3 month minimum, and as we looked into it we really only need 2 months or so.  So we're back to Airbnb which at least has some level of protection, and here is a place on the Jersey side but close to a bus that goes into Times Square.  Plus I'm pretty much viewing any short-term thing on Zillow as shady at this point.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13173832?adults=2&check_in=2022-05-13&display_extensions[0]=MONTHLY_STAYS&federated_search_id=c216c46e-503a-421c-ba1b-f22c10472b9d&source_impression_id=p3_1649800665_c7z5tL0t7dX1w3rp&guests=1&check_out=2022-07-15

Not exactly an immersive Manhattan living experience but not super expensive and avoids the subways.

Thoughts from my NY peeps or others who have helped?  :cheers:  @Hardcore troubadour @vomit @fricker66 @MDC

Don’t know much about union city except it has a lot of Cubans. Im out on this one. 

14 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Cool. I’ll pop over for a visit. Thanks for the address

:ninja: 

Airbnb doesn't give you an address, you'll have to knock door to door in the general area on their map.  :cheers:

ETA:  Sorry for not calling you out on my call for help, I appreciate any inputs you have.  :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Did Boris steal your sublet?! :mad:

Boris is upset that I let Gloria have it, but she said she needs it to make the videos with all the nice black men who she's made friends with.

We booked the Union City one.  It definitely has a hispanic flair, but my girls can pass for hispanic so they'll fit in fine.  

A possible bonus is that they can have a car at the place.  We haven't discussed yet with the girls (will see them tomorrow for Easter) but it might make sense to road trip there and have the car, not for working in the city but for running out for stuff.  Plus my older daughter does salsa dance and she knows the owner of a dance place in Hoboken; they've already touched base and she could go there and have some continuity.

I have no idea, only visited NYC a couple times.   Reason I posted is that it sounds like a cool experience for your daughter. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I have no idea, only visited NYC a couple times.   Reason I posted is that it sounds like a cool experience for your daughter.

Thanks, yeah I agree.  I'm viewing it from  a cost/investment perspective as an extra year of school; one which gives her the opportunity to network in the fashion capital of the country, nay world!, and secure not only a job in her field but one that she would enjoy.  :cheers: 

Good luck Jerry, It's your daughter's life to lead. Plenty of people enjoy the big city. I hope this works out for her. :unsure:

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Good luck Jerry, It's your daughter's life to lead. Plenty of people enjoy the big city. I hope this works out for her. :unsure:

Thanks.  I know you would do differently, and that's OK.  :) 

Also to be clear, both of my daughters are going -- the older one can work remotely, and she is willing to stay with her back there.  I feel much better about them doing this together.

The younger, the fashion one, is also the one with type 1 diabetes.  It's a weird affliction -- day to day you wouldn't know anything is wrong with her, unless you see her insulin pump.  But I could wake up any day to learn she died overnight.  She knows other T1s this has happened to, it's a real thing.  As a parent you can go a few ways in this situation.  I've seen some that are super-helicopter parents, hovering over their child's every move.  My wife and I choose to take a more stoic approach -- all we can do is prep her to deal with her situation as well as possible.  This BTW is a much bigger threat to her life than an AirBnB in New Jersey, and it could happen down the road in Phoenix just as easily.  Having her sister with her is the biggest help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  I know you would do differently, and that's OK.  :) 

Also to be clear, both of my daughters are going -- the older one can work remotely, and she is willing to stay with her back there.  I feel much better about them doing this together.

The younger, the fashion one, is also the one with type 1 diabetes.  It's a weird affliction -- day to day you wouldn't know anything is wrong with her, unless you see her insulin pump.  But I could wake up any day to learn she died overnight.  She knows other T1s this has happened to, it's a real thing.  As a parent you can go a few ways in this situation.  I've seen some that are super-helicopter parents, hovering over their child's every move.  My wife and I choose to take a more stoic approach -- all we can do is prep her to deal with her situation as well as possible.  This BTW is a much bigger threat to her life than an AirBnB in New Jersey, and it could happen down the road in Phoenix just as easily.  Having her sister with her is the biggest help.

Nice, glad to hear they will have each other for support! Sounds like you and the Mrs. have done a great job managing the T1 challenges :cheers:

Double Murder in Hells Kitchen this morning. 

43 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Double Murder in Hells Kitchen this morning. 

If you are a liberal, simply turn your head and deny. 

Jerry’s daughter should try to find one of those rent free places. :D 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Jerry’s daughter should try to find one of those rent free places. :D 

Jerry had best reach for his wallet. The rent free places are provided by friends of Ghislane Maxwell.

just catching back up with this.

I dont hate the idea of AirBnB if you only need it for 2 months. I think I maye have mentioned early on that needing just a 3 month rental might pose some problems although some landlords might be willing to do shorter term or even month by month at this point if their properties are sitting vacant. 

Not sure what happened with the the west side rental I read about above. My guess would be he was trying to rent it out longer term, and as you said, using you guys as a backup for a 3 month option. Likely every time he got any kind of nibble, he pushed things back with you guys to see if he could hook a 12 month lease. Honestly i'm not going to say I blame him, even if it feels sleazy. 

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

just catching back up with this.

I dont hate the idea of AirBnB if you only need it for 2 months. I think I maye have mentioned early on that needing just a 3 month rental might pose some problems although some landlords might be willing to do shorter term or even month by month at this point if their properties are sitting vacant. 

Not sure what happened with the the west side rental I read about above. My guess would be he was trying to rent it out longer term, and as you said, using you guys as a backup for a 3 month option. Likely every time he got any kind of nibble, he pushed things back with you guys to see if he could hook a 12 month lease. Honestly i'm not going to say I blame him, even if it feels sleazy. 

That was my feeling as well, although he literally disappeared when he was face timing with them and was supposed to walk outside to show the building.  Just never called them back.  :dunno: 

We went with the Jersey place, thanks all for your help.  :cheers: 

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

That was my feeling as well, although he literally disappeared when he was face timing with them and was supposed to walk outside to show the building.  Just never called them back.  :dunno: 

We went with the Jersey place, thanks all for your help.  :cheers: 

Nice. Where at? 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

Nice. Where at? 

Union City, close to a straight bus shot into Manhattan.

Also, related to the previous discussion, my fear was that he (or anyone who would rent an apartment short term in Manhattan) might get a better offer and, say, a week before the trip he would tell us sorry, I've rented it to someone else.  And there weren't a whole lot who would even pretend to be interested.  So we ended up going through AirBnb.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Union City, close to a straight bus shot into Manhattan.

Also, related to the previous discussion, my fear was that he (or anyone who would rent an apartment short term in Manhattan) might get a better offer and, say, a week before the trip he would tell us sorry, I've rented it to someone else.  And there weren't a whole lot who would even pretend to be interested.  So we ended up going through AirBnb.

I mean once you sign a lease I’m sure you’d have plenty of recourse if he tries to pull that but it sounds like you went the best route. 

I don’t have any experience with union city. Hope she has a great time and gets the full NY experience 👍🏼

When it gets closer, if her and her friends have any interest in checking out some stuff in northern NJ, let me know and I’ll give some suggestions. 

Hopefully you consider arming your daughters with at least mace, if not a concealed handgun, before they arrive.

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

Hopefully you consider arming your daughters with at least mace, if not a concealed handgun, before they arrive.

Interested in why you bumped this.  :cheers:

They both have mace, no handguns.  They've been there a week and it had been, in two words... focking awesome.  The younger daughter, there for the internship, is kicking ass.  They committed to 20 hours per week; she worked over 40 this week, and they love her design style so she will have a chance to do some design work instead of just tech/pattern stuff, which she enjoys but is just a job vs a passion in design/style.

I was concerned about the cost of all of this as it is basically another year of school, but after this week it it the most useful year she has had.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

They both have mace, no handguns.  They've been there a week and it had been, in two words... focking awesome.  The younger daughter, there for the internship, is kicking ass.  They committed to 20 hours per week; she worked over 40 this week, and they love her design style so she will have a chance to do some design work instead of just tech/pattern stuff, which she enjoys but is just a job vs a passion in design/style.

I was concerned about the cost of all of this as it is basically another year of school, but after this week it it the most useful year she has had.  :thumbsup: 

I'm glad both that your daughters are enjoying themselves and they have mace.

As for why this got bumped, my wife was talking about the shooting in Buffalo and the conversation turned to her informing me that so many Chinese that live in degenerate crime-ridden sh*tholes are recommending mace to each other in online chat forums as a response to the "Asian Hate Crimes" going on. Granted, mace wouldn't have helped in Buffalo, but maybe against the more typical NYC denizen scum stories you hear about, mace would be useful.

So I got to thinking about your daughters, since they are going to urban warzone hell, this may be useful to pass on.

52 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

what kind of design?