Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

My daughter needs a place in NYC for 3 months

37 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

All seriousness? I know it sounds like an adventure. But not now man. Remember that cute little girl who got stabbed to death by a couple of prepubescent black kids in the park? There's so much random violence going on right now there. Frigging send her to Europe. It's saFer. 

Male student from Italy was also butchered up that way recently - same kinda "content of character" suspects as the ones who slaughtered that poor girl. 

fockin' animals.

41 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

All seriousness? I know it sounds like an adventure. But not now man. Remember that cute little girl who got stabbed to death by a couple of prepubescent black kids in the park? There's so much random violence going on right now there. Frigging send her to Europe. It's saFer. 

39 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

The murder of Tessa Majors occurred near Morningside Park in Morningside Heights, Manhattan, on December 11, 2019. Majors, an eighteen-year-old student at Barnard College, was attacked and stabbed by three teenagers as part of a robbery.

I'm not looking to send her to the worst part of town.  But that doesn't mean I'm going to completely rule out the NYC metro area.

A ship at harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for.

I don't have any advice but that sounds like an awesome adventure for a young kid. 

Is the internship paid? 

She will need some spending money, lots of activities for a college kid around there.

Also as far as housing the company that she is interning for should have some ideas. My brother had an internship in the shithole known as Tyler, Texas and the company knew that students would have difficulty finding housing so they hooked him up.

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

A ship at harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for.

But do you really want your daughter filled with seamen?

If she’s going for only 3 months and you can find a short term rental I’d suck it up and just commit to $2000+ a month in NYC. Contrary to the horror stories you read here nearly all of lower Manhattan up to midtown is fine assuming she follows the basic rules of any city, keep your head on a swivel, stay in well lit places, don’t go wandering alone at night etc.

I stayed at a hotels in the Hells Kitchen neighborhood years ago. The area is fully gentrified, walkable to Times Square and slightly cheaper because it used to be slummy. Now it’s a hipster enclave. Maybe try there. But you seriously can’t go that far wrong in Manhattan and a few extra hundred per month would be worth the full NY experience for a few months.

Keep her out of the Hells Kitchen area. It’s not that good anymore.  Homeless everywhere.  

I’ve been all over Manhattan and never felt unsafe. However I am a man and also I knew HT the NYPD hero would immediately come to save the day :wub:

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’ve been all over Manhattan and never felt unsafe. However I am a man and also I knew HT the NYPD hero would immediately come to save the day :wub:

That was a few years ago. Things have changed for the worse. Especially in Manhattan, which was rarely the case. You’re welcome for your safe visit. Lots of hard work and spilled blood made that possible. Why do liberals act like their one time experience is the way it is? That nothing changes? 

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

If she’s going for only 3 months and you can find a short term rental I’d suck it up and just commit to $2000+ a month in NYC. Contrary to the horror stories you read here nearly all of lower Manhattan up to midtown is fine assuming she follows the basic rules of any city, keep your head on a swivel, stay in well lit places, don’t go wandering alone at night etc.

Agreed. I’d definitely consider that area in lower/financial that I linked. Any of those streets around there. Pretty safe and lots of stuff to do. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s was a few years ago. Things have changed for the worse. Especially in Manhattan, which was rarely the case. You’re welcome for your safe visit. Lots of hard work and spilled blood made that possible. 

I was there two years ago right before the pandemic and it was fine. I know I have HT the crime-fighting super manly man to thank for that 😘 

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I was there two years ago right before the pandemic and it was fine. I know I have HT the crime-fighting super manly man to thank for that 😘 

Things have gotten worse. Ever hear of the summer of 2020? Before you run your hick mouth, maybe read some news. From NY. It was about two years ago that Deblasio started moving the homeless into hotels in Manhattan.  Didn’t know that? STFU. 

I guess the spice girls didn’t think to google  - Crime in nyc - before they ran their mouth. 

As for safety - if she was Asian I’d say stay away. There has been way too many attacks against Asian women recently. It’s crazy. 

15 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Me too. The part about not feeling unsafe in Manhattan, because I’m a man. :bandana: 

You’d think a guy who posts 24/7/365 and on all major holidays would figure out how to embed a link somewhere along the way. 

:doh: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’d think a guy who posts 24/7/365 and on all major holidays would figure out how to embed a link somewhere along the way. 

That dude is as dumb as they come.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

You would think “crime in nyc “ is pretty easy to google. And if you did , you would find major crimes are up 37 pct in NYC over  the last month, off an already rising crime rate. But hey, you were there once upon a time for work.  And Fock your links. Do it yourself. 

1 minute ago, vomit said:

Uh huh.  Another guy who went to the Statue of Liberty once and thinks he’s a nyc expert. Stfu. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Uh huh.  Another guy who went to the Statue of Liberty once and thinks he’s a nyc expert. Stfu. 

I've lived here almost 50 years and have never been to the statue of liberty

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MDC said:

You keep calling yourself out for posting on every holiday. Priceless. 

22 minutes ago, vomit said:

vomitpedo has spoken!

Focking pedos. Such trash. :wall:

13 minutes ago, vomit said:

Here in NJ. Stfu. Go to the mall. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I stayed at a hotels in the Hells Kitchen neighborhood years ago. The area is fully gentrified, walkable to Times Square and slightly cheaper because it used to be slummy. Now it’s a hipster enclave. Maybe try there. But you seriously can’t go that far wrong in Manhattan and a few extra hundred per month would be worth the full NY experience for a few months.

Thanks but there is nothing remotely close to $2000 in Manhattan, at least with 2 BR in Manhattan.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I don't have any advice but that sounds like an awesome adventure for a young kid. 

Is the internship paid? 

She will need some spending money, lots of activities for a college kid around there.

Yes it's paid, although she hasn't gotten the official offer yet so I don't know how much.  I presume nowhere near what it would cost to live there.

Here is a place on Airbnb which looks OK, in Queens, convenient train access into Manhattan close to Times Square.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/49980476?adults=2&check_in=2022-05-15&check_out=2022-07-15&display_extensions[0]=MONTHLY_STAYS&federated_search_id=5a278ab5-9a70-4de1-b06a-cd2bc48930a8&source_impression_id=p3_1649293686_MfJe2n0Z2FWLEd6B&guests=1

Location based on pictures seems about here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alex+Sportswear/@40.748753,-73.8786116,14.71z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe5cca56a59124758!8m2!3d40.7501975!4d-73.8627399

Thoughts anyone?  :dunno:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks but there is nothing remotely close to $2000 in Manhattan, at least with 2 BR in Manhattan.

I meant $2000 / month per roommate.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, vomit said:

You live here ? Where ? I’ve been there once on a school trip. Probably 45 years ago. I’m 53 in 2 hours. 

Just now, TommyGavin said:

You live here ? Where ? I’ve been there once on a school trip. Probably 45 years ago. I’m 53 in 2 hours. 

Probably in the part that smells. 

3 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

I was going to say this too. Could take the ferry and shuttle bus into midtown. 
NYU housing is a great idea too. 

Does she drink ? I can show her around !!!

BTW Times Square is a shithole

Of tourist and Elmo’s that cannot speak engrish. 

And when are you going to show me around? 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Me too. The part about not feeling unsafe in Manhattan, because I’m a man. :bandana: 

But did you hear HT retired and the whole city went to sh1t? He was single-handedly keeping every baddie in line 😢

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

But did you hear HT retired and the whole city went to sh1t? He was single-handedly keeping every baddie in line 😢

Never said that. I’ve been gone for 12 years, the crime going up is a recent thing. You have to resort to making things up. I just tell you to google - crime in nyc.  Anyone can do it. Oh yeah, I actually go to NYC 3-4 times a month. I didn’t parachute in to see the Rockettes once. 

1 hour ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Of tourist and Elmo’s that cannot speak engrish. 

And when are you going to show me around? 

Come back up brother !!!

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

in to see the Rockettes once. 

But did you ever bang a Rockette ?!

:ninja: 

1 minute ago, TommyGavin said:

But did you ever bang a Rockette ?!

:ninja: 

I never did. :(

I banged a couple ABT women though. :banana:

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

I never did. :(

I banged a couple ABT women though. :banana:

???

12 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Come back up brother !!!

Soon my friend. Soon. 🥕

New York is a famous city with a grand reputation and many exciting activities, but it holds ZERO magic or interest to me and fock all if I would want my kids living there. Maybe its because I have urban area PTSD because I grew up a half mile north of Eight Mile Road during the Coleman Young years in Detroit. I know enough urban nightmare stories to scar me for life. Fock that. There was a reason I would travel east, west, or north, but would avoid going south, ever, for any reason. No reason to leave the suburbs. All these BLM cr@ptivists have the same Coleman Young, pro-criminal, anti-cop rhetoric. Fock that.

Detroit ironically, has gotten better because they avoid Coleman Young hysteria, while other cities are all copying it.

10 hours ago, MDC said:

fine assuming she follows the basic rules of any city, keep your head on a swivel, stay in well lit places, don’t go wandering alone at night etc.

Would suck to have to live that way just for access to a couple museums and trendy expensive restaurants.