Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Anyone work in their job for over 20 years?

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I've been teaching EFL in China for 20 years but this place is getting stupider and we may leave. Not keen on doing so as I'm not keen on trying something new only 15 years away from 65 but things happen. 

The good news is there are a lot of places in the U.S. where you can teach EFL.  And Biden is expanding your market. 

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I've been teaching EFL in China for 20 years but this place is getting stupider and we may leave. Not keen on doing so as I'm not keen on trying something new only 15 years away from 65 but things happen. 

Keebler would love to have a 20-year ELF instructor.

10 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Well, since that is 28 years, hopefully your insurance business doesn't require much math.  :P

Or I wasn't my own boss the first three years.  🧐

10 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Or I wasn't my own boss the first three years.  🧐

You took over Daddy's business correct?

16 years.  Wiffle and Iam90's are correct about loyalty but with a pension and equity continuing to vest there are very good reasons to stay.  Also, I am only 2.5 years away (god willing) from being out of the game.

Yes, , I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But then I started washing lettuce. Soon after I was on fries; then the grill. In a year or two, I made assistant manager, and that’s when the big bucks started rolling in.”

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yes, , I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But then I started washing lettuce. Soon after I was on fries; then the grill. In a year or two, I made assistant manager, and that’s when the big bucks started rolling in.”

McDowells?  :cheers:

I started in IT in 1997.  I have never worked at one place longer than 5 years. 3 1/2 at this job

1st job making 9.75 an hour.   I am up to 10.50 since

5 hours ago, edjr said:

I started in IT in 1997.  I have never worked at one place longer than 5 years. 3 1/2 at this job

1st job making 9.75 an hour.   I am up to 10.50 since

Good thing the price of coke has stayed the same 

34 years in September.  Started as a Co-op in college and haven't left.  Probably 10 more left as long as they'll have me.

Right out of College I worked for the same company for almost exactly 20 years. Big Pharma, global company.  90% of Geeks have either taken a vaccine, prescribed a drug, bought something over the counter or brushed their teeth from this company.    It was a good run, learned a lot, traveled to several continents.  

And looking back, it was all bullshit.  

I'm now at a smaller, middle sized company in a completely different industry.  I'm no longer a badge number but a person...... 

9 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good thing the price of coke has stayed the same 

:first:   right?  the quality sure the fock hasn't :wall: 

Just had this conversation with a fellow commuter 10 minutes ago and I didn’t pay it any mind until he asked how long have I been working in the city and I realized May 1st was 20 years. My younger son just turned 20 and that’s how I remember it. He was 2 months old when I started here. 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, jerryskids said:

Well, since that is 28 years, hopefully your insurance business doesn't require much math.  :P

I thought is Vike like 75 yrs old?