20th Anniversary of Space Shuttle Columbia disaster...

I remember that vividly. There is a really good documentary out there about it 

I was in Florida at the time and was tracking the reentry so as to get outside and see if I could see it as it flew over.

A few years prior while working on the tour bus video for Kennedy Space Center I stepped one entire foot onto Columbia.  I was working as a grip and my job was to make sure the cables didn't trip up the cameraman who was shooting inside the shuttle. That little behind the scenes stuff, really grew my appreciation for that entire program and the people who work there.

• Like 1

I had to coordinate the coverage of that for my newspaper. Chunks fell in our coverage zone. I remember lying in bed and hearing this odd rolling thunder, getting out of bed, looking out the window and seeing a cloudless blue sky. Then the phone rang, and it was my boss saying the focking shuttle had blown up and fallen into our coverage zone. It was a long, horrible day. 

• Like 1

The crazy thing? Columbia, challenger, 9/11, one of the things I remember most vividly is how  beautifully blue in the sky was that day where I was.

I'd have to look it up, but it seems like Columbia blew up early in the morning on a weekend where I was. Maybe I've got it all screwed up after 20 years.

Yeah I was there pulling bodies out of the ash looking for survivors- oh wait that was 9/11. Oh wait that wasn’t me. That was GFIAFP 

But seriously I do not remember Columbia as much as I remember Challenge- which is sad. RIP

7 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I don’t remember the Columbia and neither do the two people sitting with me

Me either. At first I thought, “That was a lot more than 20 years ago” and then I realized I was thinking of Challenger. I don’t remember Columbia at all. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

That's a hell of a shot!

He won all kinds of awards and got nominated for a Pulitzer for that one. It also made the cover of Time magazine. 

Lieberman gets all kinds of great pics of space stuff, like comets and the international space station. 

28 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

He won all kinds of awards and got nominated for a Pulitzer for that one. It also made the cover of Time magazine. 

Lieberman gets all kinds of great pics of space stuff, like comets and the international space station. 

Has he ever shot uranus?

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Has he ever shot uranus?

Frequently!

11 hours ago, dain11279 said:

Need

Another

Seven

Astronauts 

What was the last thing recorded on Challenger?

Christa McAuliffe saying what does this button do?

You know that whole thing was a scam right? My shower lost a bunch of tiles over the years and it never exploded.

A lot easier ways to kill off a black guy and a Jew.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone (here or elsewhere) more versed in the Challenger disaster. 

Likewise, I'm pretty tuned in on the Columbia as well. How Linda Ham was never prosecuted or sued is beyond amazing - she in fact kept her job in a limited role. 

I wonder if this was inspiration/idea for the movie Donnie Darko and/or the show Breaking Bad.  It's really something to wonder about when a plane or even more so a space shuttle breaks apart and falls to earth, and some of you were right there living at the place and time this happened.

52 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone (here or elsewhere) more versed in the Challenger disaster. 

Likewise, I'm pretty tuned in on the Columbia as well. How Linda Ham was never prosecuted or sued is beyond amazing - she in fact kept her job in a limited role. 

Care to elucidate?

29 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I wonder if this was inspiration/idea for the movie Donnie Darko and/or the show Breaking Bad.  It's really something to wonder about when a plane or even more so a space shuttle breaks apart and falls to earth, and some of you were right there living at the place and time this happened.

I heard the focker blow up in a rolling thunder that didn't make sense, went outside, saw a cloudless sky and thought, "WTF?" A few minutes later, my boss called and said the shuttle had blown up over our coverage area. It was a Saturday, and it was a long, tragic focking day of work. 

Isn't it 30 years?

15 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Donnie Darko came out two years before the Columbia disaster.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bert said:

What was the last thing recorded on Challenger?

Christa McAuliffe saying what does this button do?

Not cool.  :nono: 

By the way, what color were Christa McAuliffe's eyes ?

Blue! One blew left and one blew right. 

Our school thought it was a great idea to put televisions in the classrooms to show the Challenger/first teacher in space launch...  :doh:

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Our school thought it was a great idea to put televisions in the classrooms to show the Challenger/first teacher in space launch...  :doh:

Go with throttle up. 

Obviously, a major malfunction.

Don't think I'll ever forget those phrases.

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Ours did the same thing!  We all sat watching when the thing blew to pieces.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Ours did the same thing!  We all sat watching when the thing blew to pieces.

One of the engines prolly sucked in one of them damn chink balloons! 😡