Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Tush Push

I mean, why not let them do it and make other teams figure out how to try and stop it.  It's frustrating the Chiefs had so much trouble this year with short yardage situations, but I also don't know that I want to put our $500M QB in a situation that's as vulnerable as someone pushing from behind where people on the other side are trying to take off his head.

:dunno:

It used to be illegal .. and I don't remember the NFL changing the Rule.  They just started allowing it.  And not just on Goalline plays or 1 yard to the Line to Gain.  Now, the NFL is allowing it on many Plays where the Runner just doesn't go down.  Some Plays an additional 3,4, 5 yards and more are gained.  Just another thing the NFL does to help the Offense.

Another way of watering down what was once a sport worth watching.  It’s now not worth watching. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kozmiq said:

It used to be illegal .. and I don't remember the NFL changing the Rule.  They just started allowing it.  And not just on Goalline plays or 1 yard to the Line to Gain.  Now, the NFL is allowing it on many Plays where the Runner just doesn't go down.  Some Plays an additional 3,4, 5 yards and more are gained.  Just another thing the NFL does to help the Offense.

I never understood why it wouldn't be allowed.

1 minute ago, kozmiq said:

Yeah, I wish they would move it back to making it illegal at all levels...

Ain't isn't this the truth...  There is nothing that helps the defense...  I am surprised the intentional grounding is actually a loss of down still...

Don’t have any problem with the team doing what they can to help another achieve.  After all that’s what team is all about, working together.  

I like it, leave it alone, no more changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, posty said:

Ain't isn't this the truth...  There is nothing that helps the defense...  I am surprised the intentional grounding is actually a loss of down still...

To bae fair, fans get upset and bored when there isn't as much scoring.  Just look at all the people who think B1G football is so boring because they play play more defense and don't spread the ball around as much.  Iowa gets criticized as being the most boring team to watch because they are a defense first team.  Offense is what sells.

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

To bae fair, fans get upset and bored when there isn't as much scoring.  Just look at all the people who think B1G football is so boring because they play play more defense and don't spread the ball around as much.  Iowa gets criticized as being the most boring team to watch because they are a defense first team.  Offense is what sells.

Yeah unfortunately...  If I turn into a game, I would much rather see a good defensive game then video game offense...

1 minute ago, posty said:

Yeah unfortunately...  If I turn into a game, I would much rather see a good defensive game then video game offense...

I've always been a fan of defense.  I've been a Bears and Iowa fan my whole life and I played CB in high school.

• Like 1

I love a team with both a great offense and stifling defense :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Another way of watering down what was once a sport worth watching.  It’s now not worth watching. 

Good on you.  Now you don't have to rush home after Church on Sundays to catch the early NFL game.  You can hang around with the Deacons and discuss why Enoch isn't in the Bible.

38 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Only guessing... they may have started allowing it because the defense did it.  We see it all the time where there's 2 guys trying to stop a runner when 1, 2, 3, or more push on the backs of the defenders to stop the runner.

It doesn't matter how many Defenders push the Offensive Player and how many yards they push him back, he still gets forward progress.

17 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

It doesn't matter how many Defenders push the Offensive Player and how many yards they push him back, he still gets forward progress.

Bingo…

It was outlawed for a reason before, I wish they would reinstate it…

37 minutes ago, League Champion said:

BS, find a way to stop it. Don't outlaw a play because it works. Running backs get pushes all the time. 

It reminds me of the people that want to get rid of the shift in baseball.  What a joke, learn to hit to the opposite side of the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It reminds me of the people that want to get rid of the shift in baseball.  What a joke, learn to hit to the opposite of the field.

Exactly!!! There's a whole open field, hit the damn ball there. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It reminds me of the people that want to get rid of the shift in baseball.  What a joke, learn to hit to the opposite of the field.

I agree completely with your Baseball analogy.  But in Football, they outlawed 2 Offensive Backfied Players moving at the same time .. so in your method, why not just let the Defense find a way to stop it.

2 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

I agree completely with your Baseball analogy.  But in Football, they outlawed 2 Offensive Backfied Players moving at the same time .. so in your method, why not just let the Defense find a way to stop it.

As far as I know that's been a rule in football for as long as I can remember.  What's that have to do with pushing the person with the ball?

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It reminds me of the people that want to get rid of the shift in baseball.  What a joke, learn to hit to the opposite side of the field.

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

Exactly!!! There's a whole open field, hit the damn ball there. 

Have you ever tried to hit an inside fastball to the opposite field?  You have to work with what the pitcher gives you.  

46 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Have you ever tried to hit an inside fastball to the opposite field?  You have to work with what the pitcher gives you.  

You can always tell the really good pitchers. 

Because they give you a reach around. And if you're lucky? Maybe even pull your hair a little bit.

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

Didn't Patrick Mahomes dislocate his knee cap last year on just such a play?  

I think this is the angle they will use to eliminate the play; player safety.  So they'll ignore the fan argument of whether it makes the game better or not to better protect the NFL's $35M per year investments at QB.

I don't think you could officiate pushing someone. Grabbing someone and pulling or carrying someone on the otherhand is much easier and less questionable.

5 hours ago, posty said:

It’s nearly impossible to get intentional grounding anymore. If you leave in a TE or RB to block, they let the QB just throw the ball at the ground because that blocker was an eligible receiver. If you step “outside the pocket” you can just throw it away too.

34 minutes ago, dogcows said:

It’s nearly impossible to get intentional grounding anymore.

You don't watch much football.

The rugby sneak play had an 83 pct success rate last year. The NBA free throw rate is 77 pct. You guys must love extra points too. 

• Sad 1

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1626326328352931842

Blandino says new #Broncos HC Sean Payton told him he's going to do it every game next year if they don't outlaw the rule. “It amounts to a rugby scrum. The NFL wants to showcase the athleticism and skill of our athletes. This is just not a skillful play."

so argument FOR is: it helps the offense.
argument AGAINST is: it is not a skillful play.

theres other things that dont really require skill tho like taking a knee to run out the clock and the NFL is all about offense so it might stay in.  hard to say.

So this play stays. So you really only need to get 9 yards in the first three downs for a first down. The last yard is a given.  

On 2/17/2023 at 11:07 AM, Hawkeye21 said:

It's a team game, leave it alone.

Anything team oriented should be allowed. Anything. 

12 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Anything team oriented should be allowed. Anything. 

NTTAWWT 

Helps if you have the best OL in football, a QB who can powerlift 600 lbs, and a coach with the balls to go for it on 4th and short. :bandana: 

There won’t be a team in the NFL that doesn’t do this next year.  

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There won’t be a team in the NFL that doesn’t do this next year.  

KC won't.  Too much injury risk for an asset too valuable.