BeenHereBefore

What Did You Do Today ? (4/14/2023)

Lets see, went grocery shopping and after that hit the gym for 40 min weights workout ( back & shoulder day)  went out to see my mom at the nursing home and took her outside for 2 cigs, also brought her some raisin cookies and candy bars, then hooked up with a bag of weed from my friend. So what did you do ?

Did you sip olive oil and ACV?  I seent somewhere that olive oil can be up to 40% "other" oil and they can still call it pure olive oil.  F that.  :angry:

• Like 2

Just now, Mookz said:

Did you sip olive oil and ACV?  I seent somewhere that olive oil can be up to 40% "other" oil and they can still call it pure olive oil.  F that.  :angry:

Yes just a little bit ago and fasted for 6 half hours before that. I just bought another bottle grocery shopping too. I get the cold pressed ones with the red authentic little round sticker. I watch a doc on olive while back so I'm not ignorant on the counterfeit ones..

4 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Yes just a little bit ago and fasted for 6 half hours before that. I just bought another bottle grocery shopping too. I get the cold pressed ones with the red authentic little round sticker. I watch a doc on olive while back so I'm not ignorant on the counterfeit ones..

Does Bertolli make the cut?

Just now, Flipper said:

Does Bertolli make the cut?

Yes it's the big Honcho of the brands so they have to keep it real. Also never buy any that aren't in a glass bottle.

4 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Can you recommend that doc to me?  🙏 

I had just sworn off olive oil altogether, figuring anything that's actually pure (and how would one know?) will be too expensive.  

3 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Yes it's the big Honcho of the brands so they have to keep it real. Also never buy any that aren't in a glass bottle.

Fudge ...

ETA: And thanks:music_guitarred:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Can you recommend that doc to me?  🙏 

I had just sworn off olive oil altogether, figuring anything that's actually pure (and how would one know?) will be too expensive.  

Was about 2 years back when I see it. This might name the name of it  Salt Fat Acid Heat, Might be this one too.

https://www.obsessedwitholiveoil.com/

Worked than drove to my son’s college to watch him perform in an orchestra concert…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flipper said:

Is this in the Vinnie Tortorich vein of documentaries? 

High five to you, brother.  It was his Twitter that told me about the fake EVOOs. 🙏

(He pushes a brand called Villa Cappelli because he has an interest in the company.)

Worked...filled up gas tank at 360 a gallon. Bought oil and a filter for my cub cadet.  Ate dinner...played some ps5...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mookz said:

High five to you, brother.  It was his Twitter that told me about the fake EVOOs. 🙏

(He pushes a brand called Villa Cappelli because he has an interest in the company.)

That's not the one I watched then.

I played a game with my kids where I have to sit in my office chair and bounce a ball against a door.  They get a point if they can keep me from catching the ball.  I get a point if I catch it.  The equalizer is I have to bounce the ball before hitting the door and the door has uneven panels so if it hits one of the panel seams the ball goes in some random direction and I can't leave my chair.  My kids call it Wall Daddy.  We have a trophy and everything.

I won 100 - 87 and sent my 6 yes old daughter into a crying fit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeenHereBefore said:

That's not the one I watched then.

Nah I wuddn't talking about a doc there, Twitter was just where I first learned about the tricks that the EVOO companies get away with.  I'd still like to watch your doc for more info.  I had been buying cheap Walmart brand EVOO and noticing how acrid and ######-tasting it was, but the label listed one ingredient, extra virgin olive oil, so I thought it was just me.  How naive I was. 😖

15 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Nah I wuddn't talking about a doc there, Twitter was just where I first learned about the tricks that the EVOO companies get away with.  I'd still like to watch your doc for more info.  I had been buying cheap Walmart brand EVOO and noticing how acrid and ######-tasting it was, but the label listed one ingredient, extra virgin olive oil, so I thought it was just me.  How naive I was. 😖

Ohh got ya.

Wife & I saw Drew Lynch (comedian from AGT...funny as hell!) last night so I took Friday off, because, why not? Had plans to go golfing today but wife scheduled carpet installers to come since I was "off". So...while carpet was installed in basement I did spring cleaning on upstairs windows. When carpet install was complete, I attempted to re-wire entertainment center, computer, and son's X-Box in a more organized fashion...but after 3 HDMI cables and who knows how many ethernet cables and zip ties, it's still a cluster F***! Add speaker wires and power supplies and it's a freakin' web no matter what you do!

Got "permission" to golf tomorrow, so I figured I'd cut the grass tonight, and then fertilize tomorrow because it's going to rain late Saturday night. After dinner (Subway since we were in no mood to cook...because we were busy all day - duh!) took the dog for a walk because he was "neglected" all day. My feet hurt like Hell! My wife's shoulders were sore. I managed to rub her shoulders but my feet got NO love! Drank a couple bourbons and coke (OK...6). Now it's past midnight, I'm buzzzzed, and hope I'll feel OK to golf in the morning.

Sounds like a normal married life...but what do I know?

My Son and I have a "Bad Movie Night" one day a week, this weeks was today. We watched a movie where it was a Giant Octopus vs a Giant Shark, I can't even tell you the name. It was so bad. It was the worst thing I've ever seen, it was awesome!! 

Well so far today I've managed to drink coffee and take a sh1t.  But I'll be leaving soon to take son to track practice and I'll take doggo for a run.  Then the plan is to finish rebuilding the raised beds in my wife's garden

9 holes after work last night.  18 here in an hour.  June like weather in WNY this week.  Was 85 the last 2 days.   78 today.  80 tomorrow.  

We had our annual game vs our city rival last night.  Was also senior night… which was shared.  My favorite game as I used to coach about 15  of the girls for club. Great seeing the girls and their families. Fun night

5 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Well so far today I've managed to drink coffee and take a sh1t.  But I'll be leaving soon to take son to track practice and I'll take doggo for a run.  Then the plan is to finish rebuilding the raised beds in my wife's garden

Funny I finished in your wife’s garden last night too

23 hours ago, nobody said:

I played a game with my kids where I have to sit in my office chair and bounce a ball against a door.  They get a point if they can keep me from catching the ball.  I get a point if I catch it.  The equalizer is I have to bounce the ball before hitting the door and the door has uneven panels so if it hits one of the panel seams the ball goes in some random direction and I can't leave my chair.  My kids call it Wall Daddy.  We have a trophy and everything.

I won 100 - 87 and sent my 6 yes old daughter into a crying fit.  

Awesome!  I was like this with my kids, in multiple ways.  One, if you want to take me on in a game, say checkers, you better bring your A game. :bandana:

More importantly, I had perfected the art of doing very little and turning it into a game.  My wife thought I should have written a book about it; the theme was "The Lazy Dad's handbook" or something like that.  :thumbsup: 

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

@Mookzand @BeenHereBefore, do you have a list of "real" or "fake" EVOOs?  TIA!  :cheers: 

No but here are some good tips

Tip #1: Never buy anything that doesn't say "extra-virgin" on the label.

The phrase alone isn't a guarantee, but without it, "you're always going to get a low-quality product," says Olmsted.

Don't bother with anything labeled "virgin," "light," "pure," or just "olive oil."

Tip #2: Look for a "harvest date" and an estate or mill name.

Basically, the more specifics, the better. "Typically only the better oils will have a 'pressed on' or 'harvest date,' " Olmsted says.

If a label calls out the name of the producer or estate, or the variety of olive used, it's very likely genuine.

Tip #3: Ignore the "best by" and "bottled on" dates.

The "best by" date is arbitrary and lacks any legal standard, and "bottled on" doesn't mean much. "It could've been in a tank for a year before it was bottled," Olmsted says.

Tip #4: Look for a third-party certification seal.

In particular, the European Union's Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), Italy's DOP, or the "COOC Certified Extra Virgin" seal from the California Olive Oil Council for California-made oils. (The council has its own standards and certification program that's stricter than the IOC's.)

Tip #5: If you see EVOO made in Australia or Chile, buy it.

It's going to be fresh and legit. Australia has the most stringent standards and a highly advanced testing system, and neither country mixes in carryover oil from the previous harvest, according to Olmsted.

Tip #6: Don't fall for fancy packaging and a high price tag.

Cheap is a red flag, but expensive doesn't automatically mean quality, either. Case in point: Browsing a high-end kitchenware store in New York City's Time Warner Center, Olmsted spotted a handsome bottle of extra-virgin olive oil for $30 that was long past its "use by" date.

"It was probably already an artificially long date to begin with. This was olive oil that should've been thrown out," he says.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

No but here are some good tips

Tip #1: Never buy anything that doesn't say "extra-virgin" on the label.

The phrase alone isn't a guarantee, but without it, "you're always going to get a low-quality product," says Olmsted.

Don't bother with anything labeled "virgin," "light," "pure," or just "olive oil."

Tip #2: Look for a "harvest date" and an estate or mill name.

Basically, the more specifics, the better. "Typically only the better oils will have a 'pressed on' or 'harvest date,' " Olmsted says.

If a label calls out the name of the producer or estate, or the variety of olive used, it's very likely genuine.

Tip #3: Ignore the "best by" and "bottled on" dates.

The "best by" date is arbitrary and lacks any legal standard, and "bottled on" doesn't mean much. "It could've been in a tank for a year before it was bottled," Olmsted says.

Tip #4: Look for a third-party certification seal.

In particular, the European Union's Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), Italy's DOP, or the "COOC Certified Extra Virgin" seal from the California Olive Oil Council for California-made oils. (The council has its own standards and certification program that's stricter than the IOC's.)

Tip #5: If you see EVOO made in Australia or Chile, buy it.

It's going to be fresh and legit. Australia has the most stringent standards and a highly advanced testing system, and neither country mixes in carryover oil from the previous harvest, according to Olmsted.

Tip #6: Don't fall for fancy packaging and a high price tag.

Cheap is a red flag, but expensive doesn't automatically mean quality, either. Case in point: Browsing a high-end kitchenware store in New York City's Time Warner Center, Olmsted spotted a handsome bottle of extra-virgin olive oil for $30 that was long past its "use by" date.

"It was probably already an artificially long date to begin with. This was olive oil that should've been thrown out," he says.

JFC it’s just ##### olive oil

• Haha 1