Blue Horseshoe

American Medical Association Fights "Racist Exclusion": Doctors Should Reconsider Body Mass Index

American Medical Association asks doctors to de-emphasize body mass index

....American Medical Association asks doctors to de-emphasize BMI...The group is urging doctors to acknowledge that the measurement has been used for "racist exclusion" and has caused "historical harm."....The main concerns the AMA said it's found with the BMI system is that it does not account for body composition, muscle mass, racial differences and genetics....The recommendation comes after an AMA report recognized issues of racist exclusion because BMI is based primarily on data collected from previous generations of non-Hispanic, white populations....

...."BMI should not be used as a standalone measure to understand health," said ABC News contributor Dr. Darien Sutton. "There are many other factors in life that equate to health. Unfortunately, body mass index has been utilized as an easy standard to say, 'Oh, weight is the cause of chronic disease.'"....Sutton adds that while weight - although associated to chronic disease - does not necessarily cause it.

"That leads to poor quality care and specifically to Black women, who typically have higher levels of BMI compared to the average population," said Sutton...The AMA suggests tracking weight with other factors by measuring waist circumference, skin folds and resting metabolic health, among other factors such as cholesterol, blood pressure for a total picture of a patient's health....

https://abc7chicago.com/american-medical-association-body-mass-index-bmi-report-doctors

‘Fatphobia Is Rooted In Racism’: Fat Liberationist Says ‘Thinness’ Marketed As A ‘White Trait’

....According to the radical wings of social media, the latest form of discrimination to have its roots in racism is “fatphobia.”....“Here’s your reminder that fatphobia is rooted in racism,” declared TikTok user Hannah Fuhlendorf, who describes herself as a “counselor” and “fat liberationist” in a video that has garnered almost 400,000 views on the social media platform....“As always, if you haven’t read this book, go do that,” Fuhlendorf continued, holding up a copy of “Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia” by Dr. Sabrina Strings. 

“The main thing to understand is that for the last 300-ish years, white folks have been marketing fatness as a black trait,” Fuhlendorf said. “And this is regardless of whether or not black people individually were actually fat. That was irrelevant...The message they spread was that black women specifically were ravenous and uncontrollable and these barbaric traits made them fat....On the flip side, thinness was marketed as a white trait. Again, regardless of whether or not individual white people were actually thin. That was irrelevant....The idea was that white women specifically were refined and restrained and this led them to having delicate, thin bodies..Over the years, these messages have become more subtle, but even today they are still very prevalent in conversations around race, health, capitalism, and poverty.”

According to her website, Hannah Fuhlendorf offers coaching sessions for $180 per hour for individuals and $228 per hour for couples. She also notes that “Income-based reduced fees are not available at this time.”

....“My personal and ongoing experiences with fatphobia and sexism have fueled my desire to see people free from the prison of self-hate and internalized oppression. My goal is to support all of my clients in reaching their goals and stepping into their power,” Fuhlendorf explains in “My Story.” “.... I aim for my work to create a space of collaboration and empowerment.”...“Fat liberation,” also known as “fat acceptance,” “fat pride,” or “fat empowerment,” is a social movement that aims to change the so-called “anti-fat bias” regarding the stigma of obesity. Standing, in contrast, is a wide swathe of criticism from the medical community, arguing that the movement can promote a lifestyle with significant health consequences.....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fatphobia-is-rooted-in-racism-fat-liberationist-says-thinness-marketed-as-a-white-trait

1. BMI is a really dumb way to measure someone's health level.

2. Different ethnicities are prone to have a higher BMI. 

3. It is not racist. It is just a simplistic but flawed way to calculate body size. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My issue with the fat people is the same I have with the smokers.....they do not die fast enough.

Medicine has allowed them to live too long, has become an enabler for bad health decisions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That last video has been viewed 239,000 times in 4 weeks- so an average of ~60,000 times a week. 

122 million people view YouTube in a day.

So the video has been seen by a fraction of a fraction of people in the world yet Horseshoe tries to blow it up into something bigger in one of his many Twitter/YouTube/TikTok link vomit threads here.

I'm fat and I should lose weight and I know it. I recognize that people who kindly point out that I should try to lose weight do so with my best interest at heart. I'm not at present doing much to take their advice but when things settle down in my life, I intend to try again. People assuring me not to worry about it and that it's OK to be fat aren't really doing me any favors.

12 minutes ago, Ultra Max Power said:

3. It is not racist. It is just a simplistic but flawed way to calculate body size. 

All of this is accurate

8 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

That last video has been viewed 239,000 times in 4 weeks- so an average of ~60,000 times a week. 

122 million people view YouTube in a day.

So the video has been seen by a fraction of a fraction of people in the world yet Horseshoe tries to blow it up into something bigger in one of his many Twitter/YouTube/TikTok link vomit threads here.

Way too many grown men around here spending a ton of time on SM.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'm fat and I should lose weight and I know it. I recognize that people who kindly point out that I should try to lose weight do so with my best interest at heart. I'm not at present doing much to take their advice but when things settle down in my life, I intend to try again. People assuring me not to worry about it and that it's OK to be fat aren't really doing me any favors.

Once you're ready, just take it one day at a time. Setbacks are natural. The first hump is the hardest but eventually the exercise will release dopamine in the brain and you'll enjoy it.  

19 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Way too many grown men around here spending a ton of time on SM.  

100% accurate.

Lots of grown men around here need a life 

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

100% accurate.

Lots of grown men around here need a life 

and yet here you are.

Do carnivore diet. You will absolutely lose weight. And it will be easy with ZERO feelings of hunger. I lost 75 pounds and still doing it. Never felt better in my life. 

Yeah, not reading any of this. But BMI has always been stupid. It is just tragically stupid. Did I mention how stupid it is? 

1 hour ago, Ultra Max Power said:

Wetbacks are natural. 

Yeah yeah. And being here illegal is not a crime.

I just try to stay the same weight over time. I’d be chubby in 1980 but today I’m fit. Give it a few decades and I’ll be a waif. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Boots11234 said:

Do carnivore diet. You will absolutely lose weight. And it will be easy with ZERO feelings of hunger. I lost 75 pounds and still doing it. Never felt better in my life. 

It’s not some special diet, those are bull hit.  It’s actually really simple, if what you burn is more than your intake, you’ll lose weight.  Not some carnivore, keto, Atkins or some snake oil.  I’m fact, I’m going to write a book on losing weight.

chapter one:

eat less, exercise more

the end 

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

and yet here you are.

Could be worse. I could be here declaring nuclear war is always imminent or displaying a stunning lack of pizza knowledge like you daily. 

6 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Just go low carb every meal.  I just started this week.  Tonight, going out for BBQ - I'm going to just get ribs, beef brisket or both.  No sides, unless it's green beans or salad with ranch.  I won't get fries, mac & cheese, texas toast or even baked beans or cole slaw.

5 hours ago, MDC said:

I just try to stay the same weight over time. I’d be chubby in 1980 but today I’m fit. Give it a few decades and I’ll be a waif. :thumbsup: 

You're not fat, just zaftig!  :wub:

14 hours ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

Ride the Lightning ya fat fock!  :headbanger:

32 minutes ago, DonS said:

You're not fat, just zaftig!  :wub:

Rubenesque! Moo. 🐮 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ultra Max Power said:

In The Sopranos, I thought David Chase did a really stellar job covering the weight issue with Johnny Sack and his wife Ginny, in a controversy that basically almost got people killed early on and very likely triggered the war that cost so many lives in the last season. 

Johnny Sack, by all accounts, is a faithful husband and loves his wife, even if he is a criminal. And Ginny's weight problems, aren't treated as simplistic. Johnny is both right and wrong, and you can't really blame him on some level. It's his wife. It cuts him deep. He also needs to hold a certain persona amongst the other gangsters, and that's a matter of life and death in that world. 

Much like everything else with identity politics and woke, it's the real people in pain who are dragged into the negative light by those who are caricatures and those looking to grift as "influencers"  These "hustlers" are the worst kind of open bigots. 

Even though people are laughing, there is a lot of real pain there. So there's two kinds of laughter here. Those who would laugh at overweight people for being overweight, or those who laugh at the utter ridiculousness of infusing "racism" into literally everything. There is a difference. 

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

Rubenesque! Moo. 🐮 

I always wondered why the women in paintings of that era were all grossly overweight. In college, I took a class and learned it was because fat was considered beautiful at the time. Reubens and the people viewing his paintings would have found these women highly attractive.

38 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I always wondered why the women in paintings of that era were all grossly overweight. In college, I took a class and learned it was because fat was considered beautiful at the time. Reubens and the people viewing his paintings would have found these women highly attractive.

It was hard to be fat back in those days, now it's hard to be skinny and in shape. People respect and think things are attractive that are hard to obtain, that simple. Same reason why when that men have a high body it's respected and when women do it they're a dirty hoe, because it's harder for men.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Painters also like heavy people because their bodies have more shadows and valleys. :( 

7 hours ago, Mungwater said:

It’s not some special diet, those are bull hit.  It’s actually really simple, if what you burn is more than your intake, you’ll lose weight.  Not some carnivore, keto, Atkins or some snake oil.  I’m fact, I’m going to write a book on losing weight.

chapter one:

eat less, exercise more

the end 

You’re dumb. Sorry. The eat less, exercise more model is a failed model. Hence why everyone is fat. 

13 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

That last video has been viewed 239,000 times in 4 weeks- so an average of ~60,000 times a week. 122 million people view YouTube in a day. So the video has been seen by a fraction of a fraction of people in the world yet Horseshoe tries to blow it up into something bigger in one of his many Twitter/YouTube/TikTok link vomit threads here.

- "What was the story you were going to tell me?"

- "Kritzinger. Yes, he told me a story about a man he'd known all his life, a boyhood friend. This man hated his father. Loved his mother fiercely. The mother was devoted to him......but the father beat him, demeaned him, disinherited him. Anyway, this boy grew to manhood and was still in his 30s when the mother died...this mother who had nurtured and protected him. She died. The man stood as they lowered her casket and tried to cry....but no tears came. The man's father lived to old age, died when the son was in his 50s. At the father's funeral, much to his son's surprise...he could not control his tears. He was wailing, sobbing. He was apparently inconsolable. Lost, even. That was the story Kritzinger told me."

- "I don't understand."

- "No? The man had been driven his whole life by hatred of his father. When the mother died, that was a loss. When the father died....when the hate had lost its object...then the man's life was empty....That was Kritzinger's warning...."

- "That we should not hate the Israelites?"

- "No, that it should not so fill our lives...that when they are gone, we have nothing left to live for. So says the story."

What happens when those who feel perpetually "oppressed" and engulf their lives within it realize that it's gone one day?  It's an interesting question. Lots of these "activists" are very young. Many are not yet fully formed. Many have limited life experience. Not all, but many of them fit into this category. Will they one day grow older and realize that the object of their "hate" was not everything that it seemed to be to start? 

It begins to beg the question - How much of our reactions to disappointment becomes the core element that ultimately defines us as a person? 

You can sue your "oppressors" whether they be real or perceived.  You can scream at them. You can even kill them one day. But you can't legislate the disappointment of when the world does not conform to your ideals of what you believe it should be in total. There are no reparations for that. There is no remedy for that. It is not a question of "oppression"  It's a question of the human condition. 

That you are an "educator", by your own admission, and that you can't understand that, is honestly quite tragic. 

2 hours ago, Boots11234 said:

You’re dumb. Sorry. The eat less, exercise more model is a failed model. Hence why everyone is fat. 

Not everyone exercises regularly

11 hours ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

- "What was the story you were going to tell me?"

- "Kritzinger. Yes, he told me a story about a man he'd known all his life, a boyhood friend. This man hated his father. Loved his mother fiercely. The mother was devoted to him......but the father beat him, demeaned him, disinherited him. Anyway, this boy grew to manhood and was still in his 30s when the mother died...this mother who had nurtured and protected him. She died. The man stood as they lowered her casket and tried to cry....but no tears came. The man's father lived to old age, died when the son was in his 50s. At the father's funeral, much to his son's surprise...he could not control his tears. He was wailing, sobbing. He was apparently inconsolable. Lost, even. That was the story Kritzinger told me."

- "I don't understand."

- "No? The man had been driven his whole life by hatred of his father. When the mother died, that was a loss. When the father died....when the hate had lost its object...then the man's life was empty....That was Kritzinger's warning...."

- "That we should not hate the Israelites?"

- "No, that it should not so fill our lives...that when they are gone, we have nothing left to live for. So says the story."

What happens when those who feel perpetually "oppressed" and engulf their lives within it realize that it's gone one day?  It's an interesting question. Lots of these "activists" are very young. Many are not yet fully formed. Many have limited life experience. Not all, but many of them fit into this category. Will they one day grow older and realize that the object of their "hate" was not everything that it seemed to be to start? 

It begins to beg the question - How much of our reactions to disappointment becomes the core element that ultimately defines us as a person? 

You can sue your "oppressors" whether they be real or perceived.  You can scream at them. You can even kill them one day. But you can't legislate the disappointment of when the world does not conform to your ideals of what you believe it should be in total. There are no reparations for that. There is no remedy for that. It is not a question of "oppression"  It's a question of the human condition. 

That you are an "educator", by your own admission, and that you can't understand that, is honestly quite tragic. 

None of that changes what I said in that you are trying to make this more of a story than what it is. And when these people realize the way the world works that will affect them and nobody else. My day won't change, presumably yours won't (you know- other than you will have to find something else to type a lot of words together about to feign outrage).

Also, for someone like you to quote that story and not see the irony in the fact that you are forever on here putting up link vomit threads and quoting people over and over while posting stories about the same subject you want to rail against is the height of irony. 

The fact you can't understand that you are giving power to these things you claim to be deeply against is honestly quite tragic. 

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

None of that changes what I said in that you are trying to make this more of a story than what it is. And when these people realize the way the world works that will affect them and nobody else. My day won't change, presumably yours won't (you know- other than you will have to find something else to type a lot of words together about to feign outrage).

Also, for someone like you to quote that story and not see the irony in the fact that you are forever on here putting up link vomit threads and quoting people over and over while posting stories about the same subject you want to rail against is the height of irony. 

The fact you can't understand that you are giving power to these things you claim to be deeply against is honestly quite tragic. 

Liberal "teachers" are so stupid. :doh: