Sign in to follow this  
GutterBoy

Smoking meat

4 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

The competition rib thing gets me.  I tend to like my ribs cooked slightly beyond competition guidelines.  The flavor is what gets me excited more so than the bite through.

There is no added flavor by having the meat mushy, it's just texture.

36 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

There is no added flavor by having the meat mushy, it's just texture.

Christ, are you a woman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

What does everyone do for brisket? I’m happy with everything else I do, but brisket eludes me. I’ve watched 1000 videos, tried several techniques, did full brisket, and just the flat. It turns out decent, but I can’t get a WOW product. 

First thing is to trim the fat cap as close to 1/4 inch for a 15 plus lb brisket. If it's smaller, you can trim more fat before putting it on your smoker. A big issue with briskets is when it hits the "stall", semingly the internal temp won't go up from 160 or so. At that time, wrap it is wax less butcher paper and raise the smoker temp to 275. When it gets to 190, give it a jiggle test. When the brisket is done, it will jiggle. It could be done at 190 to 205, every cut is different. Once you think it's done, take it off, leave it wrapped in the butcher paper and cover it with a towel. I find it keeps the bark better than sticking it in a cooler. Serve it once the internal gets to 150.

Hope this helps.

On 8/19/2023 at 10:45 AM, Alias Detective said:

I’d like to think is a matter of preference.

Of course, which is why I said I don't understand the fascination - not that it was wrong. 

The competition brisket, I see and hear of guys dumping 25 different spices on their briskets. Everything from sugar to dill weed to celery salt - freaking unbelievable. Then when they're done, they barely have a smoke ring, have to really look for it. Then there's the bark, that concept escapes them. 

Step one complete. I donated my electric smoker that I haven’t used in 3 years to free up patio space for the pellet. I’m not in a hurry to get one because during good weather season I’m on a Komada. The pellet will be my winter go to. 

I assumed this was a thread about bluehorseshoes based on the title 

On 8/19/2023 at 1:04 PM, bostonlager said:

What does everyone do for brisket? I’m happy with everything else I do, but brisket eludes me. I’ve watched 1000 videos, tried several techniques, did full brisket, and just the flat. It turns out decent, but I can’t get a WOW product. 

Pretty much what Paul says below in figuring out the stall time vs. rest time.  I use a simple standard rub, a little more than just pepper and salt: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:47 PM, paulinstl said:

First thing is to trim the fat cap as close to 1/4 inch for a 15 plus lb brisket. If it's smaller, you can trim more fat before putting it on your smoker. A big issue with briskets is when it hits the "stall", semingly the internal temp won't go up from 160 or so. At that time, wrap it is wax less butcher paper and raise the smoker temp to 275. When it gets to 190, give it a jiggle test. When the brisket is done, it will jiggle. It could be done at 190 to 205, every cut is different. Once you think it's done, take it off, leave it wrapped in the butcher paper and cover it with a towel. I find it keeps the bark better than sticking it in a cooler. Serve it once the internal gets to 150.

Hope this helps.

Two years ago at our main event BBQ I was sweating the stall, seemed like it was taking forever and got done just in the nick of time so after an hour in the cooler it was perfect.

Last year I started way too early not wanting to worry about the stall and of course got done early, after four hours in the cooler the meat was fall apart tender.   Really good but, too tender for brisket imo.  I think 4 hours in the cooler is too much for brisket and wonder if I should have just covered it on the counter like Paul suggests.

Best idea is to have day long activities and lots of sides so the party isn't expecting the main to be done at a certain time so you can have it at 1:00 or 4:00 depending on the stall.

I do a butt and a brisket to feed 20-25 people.  Rotate on the Smokey Mountain and fill up the other smokers/grills with sides.  Main event is getting big enough we might hire a band this year.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 9:18 AM, Engorgeous George said:

I sort of enjoy the art, the challenge of an old offset smoker and no thermometers.  i seem to always get ribs, brisket, turkey  and butts right but my chicken, while always good except for the skin alwyas has rubbery skin.  i have tried crisping it up on a hot grill after the smoke and that does not seem to work, for me,.  I have also tyried crisping the skin up before the smoke but that seems toinhibit penetration of the smoke the way I would like it.  I have just settled to grilling my chicken which i do well if I do say so myself.

Scrape the fat from under the skin before you smoke the chicked or pierce the skin with a knife or fork and apply a little EVO on the skin.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, bostonlager said:

Trimming is important, not just the fat cap but also the deckel and the silverskin.  There is a lot fat in the body of a brisket that will not render, you have to remove it pre-cook.  Franklin has a very good Youtube video that helps visualize trimming.  Also want to trim up the point and the flat to make sure you have a somewhat uniform piece of meat.

I prefer to smoke at 275 uncovered and wrap in butchers paper at around 175, pull at 195 and for me this is most improtant, it needs to rest in a cooler or cambro for at least 4 hours

PS- Smoke your trimming as well and use them in your baked beans

Franklins video

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

Does this site allowe you to post pics?

No. Best you can do is use imgbb and post links. 

Foking note from the meat supplier posted in the butcher's store:

We are now overextended.  Feed prices have increased over 30%.  We hope and pray for the health of the animals and our employees if we survive and apologize for the increase in prices.  

$180 for two plates of ribs, that's $30 a bone.  

:angry:

I’m looking to get me a smoker here in September in time for football season and the holidays. Gonna smoke a Turkey for thanksgiving but before that I plan on playing around with it to try different things. Anyone have suggestions on a good smoker to get? Doesn’t matter if it’s pellet or wood. I just want a good smoker that’s somewhat easy to use and that cooks good food :thumbsup: 

Kroger had an early Labor Day sale on USDA Choice briskets. Picked up a 19 pounder for $38. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up early this morning to put some butts on the smoker for draft tomorrow.

Gonna smoke 6-6, then put in cooler, Friday night lights, and hope they're still over 140 by the time I get home to pull them (10:30ish)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

Gonna smoke 6-6, then put in cooler, Friday night lights, and hope they're still over 140 by the time I get home to pull them (10:30ish)

Now you have me thinking about it....maybe I will thrown some on Sunday..... and maybe will get a set going for the Navy game next week  :banana:

On 8/28/2023 at 3:44 PM, Stryker Ryker said:

I’m looking to get me a smoker here in September in time for football season and the holidays. Gonna smoke a Turkey for thanksgiving but before that I plan on playing around with it to try different things. Anyone have suggestions on a good smoker to get? Doesn’t matter if it’s pellet or wood. I just want a good smoker that’s somewhat easy to use and that cooks good food :thumbsup: 

WSM 22.5, the only smoker you will ever NEED to buy and can easily be used as a grill by removing the heat sink

5 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Cover them with some old towels in the cooler and they will hold much better

12 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Cover them with some old towels in the cooler and they will hold much better

Yeah I'm planning on hot water in the bottom, 2 butts wrapped, in a tray, wrapped, towels on top, then hot bricks on the towels.

i primarily smoke ribs, quartered chicken, and wings.  play with different wood, rubs, sauces.

41 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I've got a big 'ol bone-in rib roast that I'm going to smoke this weekend. Never done one before. Any tips for seasoning?

Slice garlic.  Make knife inserts every 1-2" around the roast to put the garlic slices in. Rub with rosemary and butter with oregano pepper and salt to taste.  

• Thanks 1

Just put two butts on the smoker, 32 degrees out, need to get some pork frozen for the winter and to give away.

Seasoning 3 racks of ribs now to put on in the morning. 

• Like 1

2 racks of beef ribs for this weekend. It’s been a while since I’ve smoke ribs of the beef variety so may need to watch a few YouTube vids. 

On 8/14/2023 at 5:46 AM, GutterBoy said:

Last week I volunteered to cook dinner for 50 people.  Settled on Pig Mac (pulled pork on mac n cheese) with a side of slaw.

For smoking, I use a pellet smoker these days (Zgrillz, Traeger knock off).  My first smoker was an offset cooker I bought at Sams Club as a beginner.  Perfected ribs on this b!tch, but not much else.  Then I got a Weber Smokey Mountain, which was awesome.  Pulled pork on this was easy, usually did the minion method for an overnight smoke, always came out great.  Over quarantine I bought the pellet smoker to try something new.  It is much easier than anything I've used.

Put the butts on at 6:00, set temp to 250.  Got them to 165 around Noon, wrapped them for the stall, and continued to 195 around 3:00.  Needed to get the food ready by 4:00 for packing.

It came out OK, not the best.  One, I like to smoke at 225 and not wrap, but that takes about 12 hours to get to 200.  Then I like to rest in a cooler, for at least an hour, didn't do that.

But still got plenty of buttery pork for the impoverished.  Hope they enjoyed it.

I'm gonna do pork belly this week.  Usually I just smoke and slice, but gonna try the "burnt ends" method this week. https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pork-belly-burnt-ends-1

No chili? 

☹️

Gutter Chili is the best. 

8 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

No chili? 

☹️

Gutter Chili is the best. 

Do you have a link to the recipe? Gutter sounds like he knows what he's doing and I wouldn't mind trying it this winter. 

8 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Do you have a link to the recipe? Gutter sounds like he knows what he's doing and I wouldn't mind trying it this winter. 

I have to defer to the chili man himself @GutterBoy

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I have to defer to the chili man himself @GutterBoy

I wonder if he got a timeout. I haven't seen the little feller in a few days. 

Traeger Ironwood 885 getting delivered on Thursday. Not sure what I will be smoking over the weekend, but it will be something. 

Getting ready to do a reverse Apache master sear with a tomahawk ribeye on the Traeger 

Solid steak. Smoker resting at 180. Brisket soaking in a mixture of RC Cola and W sauce. Plan to put it on around 11:00 EST

In the 50s here tomorrow. Traeger is getting loaded up with a pork shoulder, wings, Mac and cheese, and baked beans.