Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

What to make of the Colts backfield?

An article I found from CBS from two days ago sounds like Zach Moss is trending in the right direction to start game 1, but not a sure thing.  And that article says Deon Jackson and Evan Hull would be in line for carries if Moss can't go.  

Probably a situation where someone gets 10 carries, another maybe 6-8 and then someone probably utilized more in the passing game?

If Moss plays, maybe 14-17 carries for him, with Jackson getting 6-8 carries and 5 or 6 targets in the passing game?  At least until there is some resolution or clarity with acquisition of another back?  I assume there will be several designed runs for Richardson each game as well.

It's a mess, that's about all you can say about it right now.

I wouldn't want any RB on their team that's playing.

Maybe if Moss can play, he's worth a look if you need an RB, but other than that, no

• Like 1

If you have the room, and need a rb, Z Moss would be the one on the Colts to own.  

Evan Hull 

An extremely skilled receiver. Last year, he was near tops in this class in targets, receptions, aDOT, and snaps in the slot or out wide. Detail-oriented route-runner regardless of deployment. Quick acceleration and violent route-breaks make him tricky to stay with. Hull has slick, reliable hands.

Tough kid and a dogged worker. On the NFL Combine telecast, Rich Eisen and Daniel Jeremiah fawned over Hull’s insistence on finishing every single rep by running the ball past the goal line 40 yards upfield. This was a quirk noticed about Hull in Mobile, as well – the Senior Bowl coaches took notice of Hull’s habit of finishing every practice rep by sprinting 30 additional yards upfield with the ball. Both of these anecdotes may sound silly and minor – but Hull was the only back at either event doing this. Something teammates take note of. Tempo-setting worker.

Ready-made for passing-down duty, Hull’s skill set should play well in the NFL. His 54 receptions last season led all FBS running backs, and he led Northwestern in rushing in each of the last two seasons. Hull is a smooth, detail-oriented route runner with a knack for picking up yardage after the catch. A good all-around athlete, Hull ran a 4.47 at the NFL Scouting Combine and posted a relative athletic score of 9.22. - Thor Nystrom Fantasy Pros college football guru

Bet I can guess who's getting 3rd down work. :ninja:

• Like 1

from the NFL scouting profile- Evan Hull

Compact, muscular runner with below-average explosiveness but decent downhill power. Hull’s lack of suddenness and foot quickness to quickly get in and out of cuts allows defenders to track him down. He needs to play with as much downhill movement as possible, so he will need a quality offensive line in front of him to succeed. He’s a very capable route-runner and pass-catcher but he needs to improve in pass protection for consideration as a third-down option. Hull might need the perfect team fit to stick around on a roster long-term.

further to this:  scouting report says

• he needs a quality O line in front of him to succeed- Check
  • good route runner  - check\

I dont know how hes doing on the pass pro thing but the checkmarks are starting to line up for this kid.    He could actually be the early down option with the current situation being what it is.....

any Indy Homers able to chime in on this?

Deon Jax had 2 games where he started.

averaged 20 fantasy points in each game. He caught a ton of balls out of the backfield also.

I think a lot of people are underestimating what he can do.

from what I see, Zack is not going to play, and the rookie is not going to start over JAX.

I think you may be surprised at what he actually does in this first week. It is his job to lose…..

• Thanks 1

I can’t wait to see how he does.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I can’t wait to see how he does.  

Deon Jackson - Undrafted in '21 from Duke. Has 81 career carries and 3.3 ypc. Running against stacked boxes with defenses daring rookie Richardson to throw.

I love a good against-all-odds story, but that does not sound like a recipe for success.   :unsure:

Have Jackson & Hull stashed on benches in a couple of leagues just in case one ends up being productive.

• Like 1

Drafted Taylor late and snagged D Jax as insurance... not proud of it, but hopefully they can fill my RB2

Coach said that they will use the hot hand approach.  I think it’s going to be tricky to start any of them.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Coach said that they will use the hot hand approach.  I think it’s going to be tricky to start any of them.  

probably.  but if someone lights it up the job is there for the taking.

I snatched Taylor after Henry, Dobbins, and Mattison.  Seems like a fairly low risk/ high reward scenario as a 4th rb.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

probably.  but if someone lights it up the job is there for the taking.

I don’t agree.  I think every game they will take that approach until or if Taylor returns.  

21 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I don’t agree.  I think every game they will take that approach until or if Taylor returns.  

oh come on, saying hes going for the hot hand is code for if you play well, you get the job. (at least until Taylor returns)

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

oh come on, saying hes going for the hot hand is code for if you play well, you get the job. (at least until Taylor returns)

I don’t think so, I think it’s code, if you play the best during the game , you more work, until Taylor returns. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Will Taylor return? Before all the ugliness, I gave his hold-out threat a 1% chance.  Now...25%, 50% ?  Have no idea. I guess he could still get traded, but unless the Colts come off that 1st rd pick demand it ain't gonna happen - again.

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Will Taylor return? Before all the ugliness, I gave his hold-out threat a 1% chance.  Now...25%, 50% ?  Have no idea. I guess he could still get traded, but unless the Colts come off that 1st rd pick demand it ain't gonna happen - again.

like it or not, if he sits out, he does not become a free agent at the end of the year.

he needs to be on the roster a certain number of games.    first 4 are covered while on PUP.  but after that I think he needs to play 6 more (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

so I would count on him being active for at least 6 games after coming off the PUP.    otherwise he has extended his hell in Indy by one year.   I think he is sufficiently motovated to not let that happen.

after the 6 games played all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

I think Taylor will play this season. 

14 hours ago, Ray_T said:

he needs to play 6 ...

... otherwise he has extended his hell in Indy by one year.   I think he is sufficiently motovated to not let that happen.

Podcast I just heard confirmed this. So, I guess Taylor plays Weeks 5-9, then pulls a phantom hammy in the 1st quarter week 10.   :ninja:

Or showcases his skill the rest of the season.?. What a fantasy nightmare.

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Podcast I just heard confirmed this. So, I guess Taylor plays Weeks 5-9, then pulls a phantom hammy in the 1st quarter week 10.   :ninja:

Or showcases his skill the rest of the season.?. What a fantasy nightmare.

or he extends his recovery another week before returning.

well, there are a lot of permutations and combinations.   but all I'm saying is we can likely count on 6 games.  after that it gets dicey.

1 minute ago, GobbleDog said:

5.01 games  :D

who is counting anyway.

we know he will make sure he plays enough that hes not stuck there another year.   how he gets there is..... up for debate.

Received an email, that reads Z Moss is practicing today.  

On 9/3/2023 at 1:32 PM, justforbeer said:

Deon Jax had 2 games where he started.

averaged 20 fantasy points in each game. He caught a ton of balls out of the backfield also.

I think a lot of people are underestimating what he can do.

from what I see, Zack is not going to play, and the rookie is not going to start over JAX.

I think you may be surprised at what he actually does in this first week. It is his job to lose…..

I would have to say I was certainly on it with the opportunities he got, but clearly it was his job to lose, and he definitely lost it! Ha!

The Colts need a good running back more than any other team in the league so they should not trade him.

3 hours ago, justforbeer said:

I would have to say I was certainly on it with the opportunities he got, but clearly it was his job to lose, and he definitely lost it! Ha!

It was never his job to lose. A healthy Zack Moss was always going to be in the mix. Deon's performance... and I think he had a turnover?.. just made it easier for Moss to have a clear path to being the 1A, though Jackson should still have a solid role catching passes out of the backfield, especially if Hull misses time. 

46 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

It was never his job to lose. A healthy Zack Moss was always going to be in the mix. Deon's performance... and I think he had a turnover?.. just made it easier for Moss to have a clear path to being the 1A, though Jackson should still have a solid role catching passes out of the backfield, especially if Hull misses time. 

Agree. To say he was awful yesterday would be a huge understatement. 

13 carries = 14 yds

5 receptions = 14 yds

2 lost fumbles

It's Anthony Richardson, apparently.   You just have to play him at QB

Anthony Richardson - that's my QB2 in a start 2 QB league with Mahomes as my other starter and Jordan Love ready when needed on my bench. :pointstosky:

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

Anthony Richardson - that's my QB2 in a start 2 QB league with Mahomes as my other starter and Jordan Love ready when needed on my bench. :pointstosky:

In concussion protocol... fudge

• Sad 1

Just now, rallo said:

In concussion protocol... fudge

He's out for the game. I think there should be in game substitutions in fantasy football when a player is injured and out for the rest of the game. 

Just now, Gepetto said:

He's out for the game. I think there should be in game substitutions in fantasy football when a player is injured and out for the rest of the game. 

I just have sh1tty luck, I need to play in a best ball league