Sign in to follow this  
gopanthers!

Kyle Pitts

Falcons coach and GM were both hired in '21, and they used an early 1st round pick on Pitts. It's as though they thought Matt Ryan would be there several more years, but when that didn't happen they completely changed gears. In '22 they drafted their rookie Qb and today it's a run-first, run-second, run dang near every time team. Now Pitts is stuck on a running team with a bad Qb.  Such a waste.

I wonder what kind of draft pick they could trade for Pitts and if they'd even considered doing it? 

33 minutes ago, gopanthers! said:

Are we as concerned with him as much as everyone is panicking over London? 

It's been a long time since I've posted. It's good to be back!

I’m having a hard understanding what is going on with Pitts as well. Why did Atlanta draft him #4 overall. If he is as talented as people keep saying he is, why can’t for the last 2 years Atlanta find a way to get him more involved. There is no reason a TE of his size, speed and athleticism shouldn’t approach double digit TD’s or at least 70 to 80 receptions. Yet in 27 games he averages less than 4 reception a game and has 3 TD’s. I’m starting to think he might not be all everyone says he is. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I know they are a run first team, so is Baltimore and they find ways to get Andrews the ball. 

He's their leading receiver with 44 yards on 2 catches. That included their longest play of the day a 34 yard catch. He had a 26 yard catch wiped out by motion penalty. That would have been 70 yards on 3 catches.

They only passed for 115 yards total. He had well over a 3rd of that. Add in the 26 yarder, he's got half their yards on 3 catches.

The problem isn't Kyle Pitts. He's easily been their best receiver. The only one that catches anything downfield.

The problem is, the Falcons throw about 4 passes a quarter and 3 of them are within about 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1

Pitts never should have been drafted in the single digit rounds.  Thanks.  

42 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's their leading receiver with 44 yards on 2 catches. That included their longest play of the day a 34 yard catch. He had a 26 yard catch wiped out by motion penalty. That would have been 70 yards on 3 catches.

They only passed for 115 yards total. He had well over a 3rd of that. Add in the 26 yarder, he's got half their yards on 3 catches.

The problem isn't Kyle Pitts. He's easily been their best receiver. The only one that catches anything downfield.

The problem is, the Falcons throw about 4 passes a quarter and 3 of them are within about 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

true.  this is 100% correct.

the problem isnt the player.   the problem is the team, the offense, and the QB.  (mostly the QB)  

when you have a QB who runs more than he throws, the pass catchers on the team have subpar numbers.   that's just the way it is.

That said, it will likely take some time until this team is able to reload with a new QB that will be able to help this situation improve.    so Kyle Pitts is a long hold in a dynasty format, but wasnt an ideal selection in redraft for the reasons mentioned above.

8 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Falcons coach and GM were both hired in '21, and they used an early 1st round pick on Pitts. It's as though they thought Matt Ryan would be there several more years, but when that didn't happen they completely changed gears. In '22 they drafted their rookie Qb and today it's a run-first, run-second, run dang near every time team. Now Pitts is stuck on a running team with a bad Qb.  Such a waste.

I wonder what kind of draft pick they could trade for Pitts and if they'd even considered doing it? 

This doesn’t make sense. They made Drake London the first WR off the board at No8 overall in ‘22. 

The way they are roster building is certainly unusual (taking 3 skill players in 3 years without a top QB  in place) but to say they built a team to only run the ball is off the mark. 

Teams started slow on offense in week 1 and I expect Ridder to ultimately be a better thrower than Mariota. Pitts will be fine, but they’ll still run the ball a lot so I’m more concerned with London. 

I doubt that they would consider trading Pitts, but they do need a Qb.  

6 hours ago, show me the murray said:

This doesn’t make sense. They made Drake London the first WR off the board at No8 overall in ‘22. 

The way they are roster building is certainly unusual (taking 3 skill players in 3 years without a top QB  in place) but to say they built a team to only run the ball is off the mark. 

Teams started slow on offense in week 1 and I expect Ridder to ultimately be a better thrower than Mariota. Pitts will be fine, but they’ll still run the ball a lot so I’m more concerned with London. 

they are giving their young QB the tools to be successful.

the O-line in Atlanta is very good.  likely top 5

They have a top TE and a top young WR.    The hope is that their young QB will develop into a player.    it may be too early to pass judgement on this but the early returns are not great.   We were talking like this about Jaylan hurts not too long ago and look what happened.

the real issue with QB's is its not a straight line development curve.   you jump forward, then slip back and jump forward again.   Sometimes you need to be patient.

all I know is that these good receivers (london, Pitts) are not fulfilling their potential because of deficiencies at QB right now.   and until those deficiencies are resolved, these guys will continue to underperform.

so either the QB needs to improve or he needs to be replaced.   I suspect a decision wont be made until closer to the end of this year or possibly sometime next year.

in the interim, you will need to be patient.

• Thanks 1

By the time Ridder “developed”, London and Pitts will be looking for new contracts and better QBs on other teams.

20 minutes ago, Da_Bears said:

By the time Ridder “developed”, London and Pitts will be looking for new contracts and better QBs on other teams.

I think if he doesnt show signs of progressing by end of year they may bail on him.  especially if they are so bad that they get a top draft pick.  if that happens its new QB time

I'm benching him for Musgrave this week and possibly until further notice. Can't believe I drafted him again. Stupid is as stupid does.

17 minutes ago, rotisserieking said:

I'm benching him for Musgrave this week and possibly until further notice. Can't believe I drafted him again. Stupid is as stupid does.

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, rotisserieking said:

And even worst, you drafted him in the single digit rounds.  Oh the shame.  

I wouldn’t consider any waiver wire TE over Pitts.

If you grab a waiver wire TE you’re most likely gambling on them getting a TD. Pitts might be frustrating but he’s one of the few  with upside to see big targets down the field and is probably the no1 target in the passing game. Falcons won’t always be in the same game script as last week and you would expect Ridder to improve. 

• Like 1

Of you wasted a early round draft pick on Pitts, you can’t drop him now. The mistake was made when one drafted him.  

2 catches for 44 yards week 1. What's the problem? Too high of expectations. It's only one week. He's their go to Receiver/TE and for deep yards. Zach Ertz caught 6 balls to get just 21 yards. Pitts has huge potential every week and you want to be starting him to get those big week points.

The problem is just that , one made that mistake of taking Pitts in the single digit rounds, probably around rd 5-6, one expects more than 6 points.  

Doubt starts to set in based on last season, last season Pitts was 24th in avg  7.6. So high expectations.  

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

2 catches for 44 yards week 1. What's the problem? Too high of expectations. It's only one week. He's their go to Receiver/TE and for deep yards. Zach Ertz caught 6 balls to get just 21 yards. Pitts has huge potential every week and you want to be starting him to get those big week points.

The problem is we have waiting for those big week points for 2 years now, and nothing has materialized.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, rilett said:

The problem is we have waiting for those big week points for 2 years now, and nothing has materialized.

2 catches for 15 yards today.

I'm done with this guy, I drafted him on my dynasty team with a 1st round pick. He's 💩

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

2 catches for 15 yards today.

I'm done with this guy, I drafted him on my dynasty team with a 1st round pick. He's 💩

Atlanta threw the ball 32 times in this game, a lot for them. Pitts had 5 targets and 15 yards.TE Jonnu Smith had 6 targets for 47 yards. He had a couple red zone targets which is more than his usual 0 targets in the red zone. I haven’t had him on any of my teams thankfully, not even sure why I care. I was excited to see what he could do in the NFL With all the hype surrounding him. 

If you drafted Pitts (like I did) you can only do two things. 

Try to trade him to a TE-needy team on name value alone. Or keep rolling with him. 

He has huge upside but unfortunately his profile as a deeper target makes him a risk. Maybe the Falcons work out how to use him and try to feed him more targets.

Or you can sit him and play a La Porta type but risk missing out on the week he goes off for 100 yards and a TD.

*EDIT: sorry, guess that’s three things…

3 hours ago, show me the murray said:

If you drafted Pitts (like I did) you can only do two things. 

Try to trade him to a TE-needy team on name value alone. Or keep rolling with him. 

He has huge upside but unfortunately his profile as a deeper target makes him a risk. Maybe the Falcons work out how to use him and try to feed him more targets.

Or you can sit him and play a La Porta type but risk missing out on the week he goes off for 100 yards and a TD.

*EDIT: sorry, guess that’s three things…

It’s year 3. At some point, he is what he is 

• Like 1

Wait until the double digit rounds to draft a TEs, and then stream.  It’s the American Way.   

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

Wait until the double digit rounds to draft a TEs, and then stream.  It’s the American Way.   

That’s about the fifth or sixth time by my counting you’ve made that point.

It’s a fair point, but there are people in this thread actually looking for advice on what to do with Pitts moving forwards, not be repeatedly told by you they made a mistake drafting him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gepetto said:

He had over 1000 yards receiving as a rookie at the tight end position. 

He did. And he has had 3 whole TDs in his 2+ years in the league now. And he had like 350 yards last year and only 4 catches total in 2 games this year.

Glad I traded him away this summer for draft picks. I got LaPorta with one of them and am much more optimistic about his future use. 10 catches on the season so far.

7 hours ago, show me the murray said:

It’s a fair point, but there are people in this thread actually looking for advice on what to do with Pitts moving forwards, not be repeatedly told by you they made a mistake drafting him. 

Oh I do apologize, let  me take you by hand and give you help. Okay here we go,  either trade/him or keep him.   If you keep him stop complaining about him.   Now your return will be cheaper then you paid.  So good luck.  HTH.  

Thanks.  

7 hours ago, show me the murray said:

I think you have to stream a TE2 and most weeks you’ll probably start that player so basically Pitts becomes a superfluous bench stash.

Not ideal but unless you can get someone to trade on name value alone it’s about the best one can do.