Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

The KC WR Situation Just Got Murkier

The New York Jets are trading WR Mecole Hardman back to the Kansas City Chiefs as a part of a late-round pick swap. (Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact: Hardman returning to Kansas City was something that everyone saw as a potential fit for both parties, despite his leaving in the 2023 offseason. Hardman is familiar with the system and should be able to play soon. The Chiefs have not found the steady WR system they have wanted yet, and he could be a part of a rotation with WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Skyy Moore and Rashee Rice. As well, he provides the Chiefs with someone explosive who can take on schemed touches, especially in the red zone like in his 2022 season (six TDs in eight games).

I don't know why but I like this.

8 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I don't know why but I like this.

Come to think of it, I like it as well.  Mahomes is my QB

It will be interesting to see where in the pecking order he ends up.  Ahead of or behind Rice/Toney?  Definitely would seem to slot in ahead of Moore/MVS/Ross/etc. 

Seems like Rice is slowly becoming the wr1.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Showboat said:

It will be interesting to see where in the pecking order he ends up.  Ahead of or behind Rice/Toney?  Definitely would seem to slot in ahead of Moore/MVS/Ross/etc. 

There have been 416 snaps through 6 games , as best I can tell.  To date you have the following:

1. MVS - 258

2. Moore - 249

3. Watson - 181

4. Rice - 158

5. Toney - 109

6. Ross - 64

7. James - 26

Justin Watson dislocated his elbow and will miss a few weeks, so right there is about 30 snaps per game until he gets back.

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Seems like Rice is slowly becoming the wr1.  

in week 6, Rice played 34 of 71 snaps, so he still isn't even out there half the time yet.  But it does feel like he is making more of his opportunities than the other Chiefs receivers.

6 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

There have been 416 snaps through 6 games , as best I can tell.  To date you have the following:

1. MVS - 258

2. Moore - 249

3. Watson - 181

4. Rice - 158

5. Toney - 109

6. Ross - 64

7. James - 26

Justin Watson dislocated his elbow and will miss a few weeks, so right there is about 30 snaps per game until he gets back.

….Snaps….now do target share and RZ looks.  Will tell a different story….

• Like 1

If Hardman is 100% healthy and hasn’t lost a step, he’ll reassume his role quickly.

49 minutes ago, DrG said:

If Hardman is 100% healthy and hasn’t lost a step, he’ll reassume his role quickly.

It’s a good move for both sides, he’s ready to go.  

30 minutes ago, gridiron whirlwinds said:

I believe this is always going to be a committee situation until they get or develop a true number 1 receiver

Agreed.  

It’s not going to help.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

It’s not going to help.  

Still prefer Rice over Osborn in ppr after this?

58 minutes ago, gridirongoofs said:

Still prefer Rice over Osborn in ppr after this?

I haven’t seen much from Osborn, but with the addition of Hardman I would say I don’t.  

Slim pickings after Mr. Swift even b-4 Hardman came back.

Receiving

Player
G
Rec
Yds
Y/G
Avg
Long
YAC
1stD
TD
Fum
FL
Travis Swift
5 36 346 69.2 9.6 40 4.1 18 3 0 0
6 21 245 40.8 11.7 28 7.0 13 2 0 0
6 10 219 36.5 21.9 37 1.9 7 0 1 1
6 12 147 24.5 12.3 34 6.5 5 1 0 0
6 11 145 24.2 13.2 54 4.6 7 1 0 0
6 17 135 22.5 7.9 33 10.4 4 0 0 0
6 7 116 19.3 16.6 37 3.0 5 0 0 0
6 17 92 15.3 5.4 17 4.9 8 1 1 0
6 12 91 15.2 7.6 15 9.0 5 2 0 0
6 6 36 6.0 6.0 10 9.2 2 0 0 0
6 3 34 5.7 11.3 20 2.3 1 0 0 0
6 2 12 2.0 6.0 8 4.0 1 1 0 0
2 1 6 3.0 6.0 6 1.0 0 0 1 1
6 1 0 0.0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

• Haha 1

Hardman may help open it up for Rice. He has never been a high volume wr.

Hardman may steal some targets that I think would otherwise go to Rashee Rice but Andy Reid and Mahomes realize that Rice is getting better and should be more involved in the gameplan. Hardman is only gonna be, IMO, another body for Mahomes to throw some occasional targets. I font thjnk, at least I hope, that Hardman will affect Rice's targets and developments drastically. Rice is gradually working his way to being the Chiefs WR1, outside of Kelce, and his numbers will.only get better as well as the season progresses. If you font have Rice on your dynasty roster yet better get him in a hurry before someone else scarfs him up.

No KC wr is a high volume player.  Rice is avg 5 targets per game, If Hardman indeed steals some , there won’t much left.  KC only has one volume player, Kelce.   

20 hours ago, LaChup said:

If anyone is starting Rice, I want to play in your league.

The only reason I am even considering it is that I am now down: Achane, K Williams, Pollard, Collins, Higgins for this week. My options are Rice, Diontae fresh off of IR, and L. Thomas.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:18 PM, LaChup said:

I don't get it. Do you play in 8 team leagues only? 

• Like 1

ESPN is listing Hardman as a backup to Toney but also the #1 KR/PR so he gets a bump in return leagues. He should be usable later in the year. I don’t see Moore or Toney being able to consistently produce. MH will also be good for a few jet sweeps etc

I feel like the only valuable players on Chiefs offense is Mahomes, Pacheco, Kelce and their kicker, Butker? But, also kind of depends on the week and match ups.

Already making an impact on special teams

On 10/20/2023 at 5:18 PM, LaChup said:

Come and join.  

KC leads league in dropped Passes… Kelce leads team / tied team high 3 drops along with Rice and KT.  
Rice is 2nd on team in target share % and RZ targets.  Rice is start-able as FLX in 14 team plus leagues and deep roster dynasty.  

8 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

KC leads league in dropped Passes… Kelce leads team / tied team high 3 drops along with Rice and KT.  
Rice is 2nd on team in target share % and RZ targets.  Rice is start-able as FLX in 14 team plus leagues and deep roster dynasty.  

Borderline startable as flex in 12 team leagues, given BYEs and injuries, especially if his arrow continues to point up

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Own Rice on both of my 14 teams, I agree.  

• Like 1

He’s been consistently getting more involved week to week…. He actually led the team in targets yesterday and was 2nd on team in routes run.  He is also 10th overall in fantasy points per route run on the season, which was a surprise to learn today…. Has been a buy now type of candidate for 2nd half run since week before Vikings game.  

31 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

He’s been consistently getting more involved week to week…. He actually led the team in targets yesterday and was 2nd on team in routes run.  He is also 10th overall in fantasy points per route run on the season, which was a surprise to learn today…. Has been a buy now type of candidate for 2nd half run since week before Vikings game.  

You mean, besides Kelce

Well, yes I started Rice in a few leagues and glad I did. I felt early in the season that he was gonna do well in KC's offense and yesterday showed it. Certainly his stock has gone up and guys will be looking to grab him off waivers but I don't have that issue since he's already on some of my rosters. Not saying he's gonna ball out every week but I think Mahomes has more trust in him now and he will definitely look his way more than in the past.

Going forward is going to be interesting, one Hardman starts to play at the wr slot.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chiefs-wr-justyn-ross-is-arrested-on-felony-charge

Chiefs receiver Justyn Ross was arrested on Monday.

According to Adam Teicher of ESPN.com, Ross faces a felony charge of criminal damage in excess of $25,000.

Per Teicher, the Chiefs said they are aware of the arrest. The Chiefs had no comment.