Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Anyone live in or frequent Japan?

Mrs....beer put in for a job in Japan about a month ago.  She got an interview last week and they called her references the next day.

The day after the hiring manager emailed her saying due to recent changes in regs she needed to speak with Mrs...beer's immediate supervisor and what was their contact info?  Sooooooo... probably a pretty good chance we'll be moving to Japan!

PCS (meaning the .gov will pay for our house to sell, pack and move us), housing allowance, and over seas stipend included!

I can't retire from work until Nov 2024, so once the house sells, I'll head over to Japan for a month or so with the family to get settled with the Mrs and the girls. Then I'll probably head back to Colorado Springs where the boy is in the Space Force and hang out with him in a rented room until Nov, retire, and head over!

I mean.... we're pretty sure it's a go at this point, but it's been fun thinking about a new adventure.

Everything I've read is pretty good stuff.  We'd have to sell our cars and just buy there, but seems pretty cheap, like Lexus with 50,000 miles for $4k cheap.

We'd have to live on the military base but I think I'd rather.  The digs are smaller than American places, but the price is right!

Usually first contracts are for 3 yrs but you can only stay for 5 total anyway.  Then they move you back.

Anyway... juat an update.

Oh also we did end up adopting my brothers little girl.  She's 4 this year so... yeah for starting over!  My youngest is 15... haha.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sounds like fun, if it was me i would start a language learning course. Spend an hour a day, i bet you could get the basic stuff before going over.

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Pretty sure that counts. 👍

I love the idea of going there. If you ever want a visit from me and my girlfriend, we would love the chance to visit and hang out. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Sounds like fun, if it was me i would start a language learning course. Spend an hour a day, i bet you could get the basic stuff before going over.

Yeah, I thought about that right away.  Guess we'll see if she gets the offer.  Hopefully in the next week or so we'll know.  Looking on line they say learning to speak Japanese is actually very doable.  Learning to read/write it, yoooge painful  endeavor.

Luckily in this day and age you have apps will read it from your camera or speak translations.  So at least I'll be able to order food or find the pisser.

I'd be leery.  Japs just started draining a billion gallons of radioactive waste water into the ocean. 

Godzilla drinks that stuff like a Monster.🐉

Holy blast from the past! 

Welcome back! :cheers:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Holy blast from the past! 

Welcome back! :cheers:

Been playing in my geek league non stop.  Juat got pretty meh with the Trump/Biden BAD rinse and repeat cycle that seems to inundate the bored.

Thanks for the welcome back!

7 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Been playing in my geek league non atop.  Juat got pretry meh with the Trump/Biden BAD rinse and repeat cycle that seems to inundate the bored.

Thanks for the welcome back!

Understood. But that's why we need guys like you to frequent the bored. You should be a constant reminder that most of us are inconsequential losers and our political slap-dik buIIshit is just that. 

Japan seems like a huge leap but there are worse places to spend a few years. And you can always stop off at the vending machine to buy some used panties.  :unsure:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Mrs....beer put in for a job in Japan about a month ago.  She got an interview last week and they called her references the next day.

The day after the hiring manager emailed her saying due to recent changes in regs she needed to speak with Mrs...beer's immediate supervisor and what was their contact info?  Sooooooo... probably a pretty good chance we'll be moving to Japan!

PCS (meaning the .gov will pay for our house to sell, pack and move us), housing allowance, and over seas stipend included!

I can't retire from work until Nov 2024, so once the house sells, I'll head over to Japan for a month or so with the family to get settled with the Mrs and the girls. Then I'll probably head back to Colorado Springs where the boy is in the Space Force and hang out with him in a rented room until Nov, retire, and head over!

I mean.... we're pretty sure it's a go at this point, but it's been fun thinking about a new adventure.

Everything I've read is pretty good stuff.  We'd have to sell our cars and just buy there, but seems pretty cheap, like Lexus with 50,000 miles for $4k cheap.

We'd have to live on the military base but I think I'd rather.  The digs are smaller than American places, but the price is right!

Usually first contracts are for 3 yrs but you can only stay for 5 total anyway.  Then they move you back.

Oh also we did end up adopting my brothers little girl.  She's 4 this year so... yeah for starting over!  My youngest is 15... haha.

How many of your past “pretty sure it’s a go’s” actually have come to fruition?  

21 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

How many of your past “pretty sure it’s a go’s” actually have come to fruition?  

Ah... I knew you'd come shadow. 😄  Wait... I actually forgot about you, but here you are.  How's life?  You seem as chipper as ever Ehore.

14 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Ah... I knew you'd come shadow. 😄  Wait... I actually forgot about you, but here you are.  How's life?  You seem as chipper as ever Ehore.

All good.  Just curious is all.  

One Halloween, when we were stationed in Japan, Dad wore a shirt that said Fat Man and I wore Little Boy. 

...Didn't go over like we thought.

I guess you could say we bombed. 

I’ve always heard the japs are the friendliest of the oriental people. 

I have not but I have PCS some people over to Japan. If you want to talk to them about the move it might be a good idea and I can get you in contact. DM me

I don’t even want to visit Japan forget about moving there !

is there a can size minimum for the job ? Mrs meets the minimum?

Prove it.    :wub:

• Confused 1

On 10/22/2023 at 7:35 PM, bostonlager said:

I’ve always heard the japs are the friendliest of the oriental people. 

On 10/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

Wow, good luck with all that. Sounds like you are getting ready for some big new adventures.  :thumbsup:

Welp... she got the job!

In the paperwork they're saying there's a possibility of a year probation.  She's a little hung up on that as she's been a fed for 15 years.  She doesn't want to be at the whims of a new supervisor like that.  So she's going to chat the HR lady up tomorrow prior to accepting the tentative offer.

Reading the email I think it's more a generic letter, so it won't even apply to her.

Looks like we're heading on an adventure soon!  Weeeeeee!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Welp... she got the job!

In the paperwork they're saying there's a possibility of a year probation.  She's a little hung up on that as she's been a fed for 15 years.  She doesn't want to be at the whims of a new supervisor like that.  So she's going to chat the HR lady up tomorrow prior to accepting the tentative offer.

Reading the email I think it's more a generic letter, so it won't even apply to her.

Looks like we're heading on am adventure soon!  Weeeeeee!

That is fun. I hope it goes through. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Welp... she got the job!

Looks like we're heading on an adventure soon!  Weeeeeee!

Congrats.

Not related, but playing Dragon age Inquisition or is that your son?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Congrats.

Not related, but playing Dragon age Inquisition or is that your son?

Haha.. I forgot we were PSN buddies.  I was feeling RPG'ish and started playing last night.

6 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Haha.. I forgot we were PSN buddies.  I was feeling RPG'ish and started playing last night.

I think the Dragon Age series is very underrated, the first one was better but inquisition was good.

What class you playing as?

7 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I think the Dragon Age series is very underrated, the first one was better but inquisition was good.

What class you playing as?

Dual wield rogue... yeah I remember digging the first one.  I recall playing this one a little but but I know I didn't finish it.  I'm digging it so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Dual wield rogue... yeah I remember digging the first one.  I recall playing this one a little but but I know I didn't finish it.  I'm digging it so far.

:thumbsup:

Bioware used to be an awesome company, although Dragon Age released 10 years ago. The sequel may be released next year, although recent bioware games have sucked, so i do not have high hopes.

Baldur's gate 3 is good if you want to play another RPG.

• Like 1

Update.... today is the first full day in Japan.

Initial thoughts... pretty humid.  Like Puerto Rico or Cancun humid.

Also way more industrial around Tokyo than I'd have imagined.  Like huge abandoned factories and giant scrap yard industrial.

Only been tooling around the base thus far.  Excited to get off base and see some stuff this weekend.

Initial plan is for me to hang out here and try to get as much stuff established as I can help with and head back to the States at the end of May.  I'll fly back in to PDX... grab my rig and work gear and drive down to Colorado to hang out with our son until thr end of Sept/beginning of October.  Then head back to Japan for the rest of the initial 3 year tour.

Exciting stuff!

Aaannnnd jetlagged as heil right now.  14 houe time difference.

From what I have been told by those who have taught English in Japan the country is VERY racist and Xenophobic. While it is likely not going to come into play on the military base it will once you leave to explore. 

12 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Initial plan is for me to hang out here and try to get as much stuff established as I can help with and head back to the States at the end of May.  I'll fly back in to PDX... grab my rig and work gear and drive down to Colorado to hang out with our son until thr end of Sept/beginning of October.  Then head back to Japan for the rest of the initial 3 year tour.

Exciting stuff!

:cheers:

12 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Exciting stuff!

Where in Japan? I will probably need to go TDY later this year. Would love a Japanese geek meat.

On 10/22/2023 at 2:45 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah, I thought about that right away.  Guess we'll see if she gets the offer.  Hopefully in the next week or so we'll know.  Looking on line they say learning to speak Japanese is actually very doable.  Learning to read/write it, yoooge painful  endeavor.

Luckily in this day and age you have apps will read it from your camera or speak translations.  So at least I'll be able to order food or find the pisser.

you can start with "Me love you LONG time!!"

16 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Exciting stuff!

Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy your new home. I heard the people are very nice and polite. Please update us often about all the new exciting and strange things you encounter. Tell us about the food and if you have a bidet! Is everyone really thin?