Sign in to follow this  
Law

Update: Deshaun Watson Out for the Year, Fields Expected to Play Wk11

We know both aren't playing. Everyone knows they're not playing. The Browns even said Watson isn't playing. Yet both are not officially designated as Out yet. Watson is Questionable while Fields is Doubtful. This is a problem. Until the teams change their respective designations, Yahoo will not and it puts me in a REAL bind in a 2-QB league!

If they are Out, I can move one to the IR spot along Jefferson and add another QB to play.

We have a rule where you can't add a 4th QB unless one of your max 3 is Out or you add a 4th from the same team as one of your 3.

I can add M Jones or Z Wilson if they would just move one of these guys to Out!

Otherwise I'll have to try for Bagent and that's no sure add.

All I've heard about the Bears is Bagent is in. Unless they are going super secret hush hush. Anything is possible I guess.

Add Bagent now. Then when Fields and/or Watson are officially out you can add Zach Wilson or Mac Jones.

Same with Ford.  Cleveland and everyone else knows he is out, but they still haven’t officially changed his status.

Not sure why some teams play these games with injury designations.

Watson has been officially listed as out

Justin Fields has been officially list as out

Yeah. I had to wait till today's updates but I was finally able to move one to an IR spot and add T Taylor. I can try to claim M Jones on waivers for tomorrow. The Bagle will be available Sunday, but I'd rather go Taylor or Jones over him.

Dassage Watson makes a lot of money to sit so much. The other "unpaid" players must be mad at Dassage.

11 hours ago, LaChup said:

Dassage Watson makes a lot of money to sit so much. The other "unpaid" players must be mad at Dassage.

Making more money doesn't heal injuries quicker in the NFL. It sucks he's not playing but what can you do?

On 10/28/2023 at 8:02 AM, seafoam1 said:

Making more money doesn't heal injuries quicker in the NFL. It sucks he's not playing but what can you do?

Agreed.   nothing you can do.  but this is one of the risks with signing an older player to a long term contract like what they gave him.

sometimes they hit a certain age and suddenly injury prone.

This seems to especially be the case with running QB's who (for the most part) seem to be done by the age of 30.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Watson now out for the year. Going to have shoulder surgery. Fields expected to play in Week 11...

:shocking:

Watson was terrible for 6 games last year, and only slightly better for 6 games this year. Amazingly 5-1 as starter thanks to bad opponents and Browns stout defense.  The back-up can't be much worse.

It's funny, the Browns have a 6-3 record with a SuperBowl caliber defense.... yet most would agree - they ain't gonna win squat.

Imagine would could've been had the Browns actually kept all those draft picks they gave up for Watson. Still don't have a first round pick til '25. Watson can't be traded or even restructured until after '26 and counts $64 mill against the cap next year, and the next, and the next. What a disaster.

15 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

:shocking:

Watson was terrible for 6 games last year, and only slightly better for 6 games this year. Amazingly 5-1 as starter thanks to bad opponents and Browns stout defense.  The back-up can't be much worse.

It's funny, the Browns have a 6-3 record with a SuperBowl caliber defense.... yet most would agree - they ain't gonna win squat.

Imagine would could've been had the Browns actually kept all those draft picks they gave up for Watson. Still don't have a first round pick til '25. Watson can't be traded or even restructured until after '26 and counts $64 mill against the cap next year, and the next, and the next. What a disaster.

Watson hasn’t been great but PJ Brown is a disaster

Imagine if they didn't trade Josh Dobbs for a 5th rounder...

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:36 PM, LaChup said:

Injuries happen to everyone, I don't think anyone is all that mad.  Cash this year, Watson is making $46M and played a third of the season... Rodgers played 3 snaps and made $36M.  Remember, Watson only made $1M last year.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Dorian Thompson-Robinson will get the start...

At least they're giving him more than 2 hours notice, that he's starting, this time.

Watson trade is the worst since Babe Ruth.. i mean, cmon.. its the most Cleveland thing possible.
##### that guy

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Injuries happen to everyone, I don't think anyone is all that mad.  Cash this year, Watson is making $46M and played a third of the season... Rodgers played 3 snaps and made $36M.  Remember, Watson only made $1M last year.

Agreed. As bad as Watson was, at least he didn't look like he was phoning it in. He was working hard, but his stats were bad. Passing game is below average and doesn't run like he used to. Maybe he can't run... Browns don't call designed runs.?.

Watson returned after 1.9 years since his last snap in Hou, and stunk those final 6 games - seemed like rust. Then he looked bad at training camp and now another unimpressive 6 games. 2024 return... anyone hyped ? 

Browns went all in. They'd have been better off with any rookie qb they could've drafted in '22 or '23  with all those picks they gave away. And payed 'em beans compared to Watson's contract. Locked in though '26. Ouch.

6 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Watson now out for the year. Going to have shoulder surgery. Fields expected to play in Week 11...

The real tragedy is that he hurt his groping arm. 

5 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

The real tragedy is that he hurt his groping arm. 

That's why God gave us two arms.... double grope.  Hey baby!   :banana:

2 hours ago, [echo] said:

Watson trade is the worst since Babe Ruth.. i mean, cmon.. its the most Cleveland thing possible.
##### that guy

I won't compare it to Babe Ruth, but when it comes to NFL trades, Deshaun Watson to Cleveland isn't even close.

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/nfl/vikings/herschel-walker-trade-still-an-open-wound-for-vikings-fans-30-years-later/89-5575cddf-2434-445a-a399-9b419958b2bc

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

At least they're giving him more than 2 hours notice, that he's starting, this time.

But isn't the backup's (only) job to be ready to go in at any time?

43 minutes ago, Showboat said:

But isn't the backup's (only) job to be ready to go in at any time?

Sure, but I think expectations are different when 1) it was out of the blue and pre-game, when all week long there was no hint that Watson wasn't going to play  2) We're talking about a 5th round rookie who was the THIRD string QB up until he was named the starter, 2 hours before kickoff  3) had a total of 0 reps in practice with the first or second team all week.

But maybe that's just me. :dunno:

44 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sure, but I think expectations are different when 1) it was out of the blue and pre-game, when all week long there was no hint that Watson wasn't going to play  2) We're talking about a 5th round rookie who was the THIRD string QB up until he was named the starter, 2 hours before kickoff  3) had a total of 0 reps in practice with the first or second team all week.

But maybe that's just me. :dunno:

I do agree, as the backup, you should prepare as if you are going to play.

but some players need time to mentally prepare for being in there.  its always tough when you go in without a lot of time to get ready.

10 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its always tough when you go in without a lot of time to get ready.

Unless your name is Joshua Dobbs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm pretty sure some of the RBs probably think he's not worth that much.

8 hours ago, LaChup said:

I'm pretty sure some of the RBs probably think he's not worth that much.

Doesn't make them right, or even justified.

I guarantee you that Derrick Henry would rather have Deshaun Watson as his QB (at that cost), than who he has now.

On 11/15/2023 at 4:13 PM, Showboat said:

Unless your name is Joshua Dobbs.

hes special.

I have never known anyone that can go in and play (and be productive) that quickly after joining a team.   I honestly think he may be a unique talent.

13 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Doesn't make them right, or even justified.

I guarantee you that Derrick Henry would rather have Deshaun Watson as his QB (at that cost), than who he has now.

probably so would hopkins.

I bet Hopkins would prefer a QB who was actually able to make a throw from the field, not the massage table.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

hes special.

I have never known anyone that can go in and play (and be productive) that quickly after joining a team.   I honestly think he may be a unique talent.

Maturity from 6 years in the league helps explain the good game right after joining. Credit, he looked solid. Don't know about "unique talent." I foresee some rough seas.

He's got a lot going for him. Vikings are loaded offensively and defense ain't looking too shabby. Team is rallying to win for Cousins and they're still in playoff contention.

9 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Maturity from 6 years in the league helps explain the good game right after joining. Credit, he looked solid. Don't know about "unique talent." I foresee some rough seas.

He's got a lot going for him. Vikings are loaded offensively and defense ain't looking too shabby. Team is rallying to win for Cousins and they're still in playoff contention.

I suppose anything’s possible, but I lean towards him having been a career backup and traded for a fifth round pick for a reason. Though I suppose he could be the new Kurt Warner?

On 11/15/2023 at 9:09 AM, jrokh said:

Imagine if they didn't trade Josh Dobbs for a 5th rounder...

well, it is the Browns.   what were you expecting?

dont get me wrong, I know why they did it.   there were whispers from some who thought Dobbs should start instead of Watson.   the numbers suggested it but that would imply that management made a bad call in signing Watson.   it would be a QB controversy and I'm sure management didnt want to put this situation under a microscope.

it would highlight their incompetence.

The Browns don't need to imply that Watson was a bad signing. The world can see it before their very eyes. Queue up Joe Flacco Seaguls.......

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

well, it is the Browns.   what were you expecting?

dont get me wrong, I know why they did it.   there were whispers from some who thought Dobbs should start instead of Watson.   the numbers suggested it but that would imply that management made a bad call in signing Watson.   it would be a QB controversy and I'm sure management didnt want to put this situation under a microscope.

it would highlight their incompetence.

The main reason they traded Dobbs, is because DTR blew up in the pre-season, and they wanted to develop him and give him more reps. In hindsight, yeesh...

8 hours ago, jrokh said:

The main reason they traded Dobbs, is because DTR blew up in the pre-season, and they wanted to develop him and give him more reps. In hindsight, yeesh...

I guess it doesnt matter what the reason was, but I dont disagree with you.   it was not a smart move