Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Sotomayor overwhelmed by demanding SCOTUS workload: ‘I live in frustration’

https://nypost.com/2024/01/30/news/sotomayor-tired-from-demanding-scotus-workload-i-live-in-frustration/

“I live in frustration. Every loss truly traumatizes me in my stomach and in my heart,” Sotomayor admitted, per the report. “But I have to get up the next morning and keep on fighting.”

This is absolutely ridiculous. She's not supposed to be fighting for anything nor winning or losing. She's supposed to be passing judgment using the Constitution as her guide. Just another activist diversity hire judge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Ahead Warp Zillion!!

13 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/30/news/sotomayor-tired-from-demanding-scotus-workload-i-live-in-frustration/

“I live in frustration. Every loss truly traumatizes me in my stomach and in my heart,” Sotomayor admitted, per the report. “But I have to get up the next morning and keep on fighting.”

This is absolutely ridiculous. She's not supposed to be fighting for anything nor winning or losing. She's supposed to be passing judgment using the Constitution as her guide. Just another activist diversity hire judge. 

Um, no. It is not the workload that overwhelms her, lol. :lol:

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

Um, no. It is not the workload that overwhelms her, lol. :lol:

No sh!t, it's the beetus 

25 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Seems to me the only activists on the SC are the ones who overturned Roe. She wasn’t one of those. 

Like the notorious RBG would have done? She said it was bad law. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Seems to me the only activists on the SC are the ones who overturned Roe. She wasn’t one of those. 

You can make things up and believe them like no one I've ever seen.  What's the weather like in your fever dreams?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Not an activist at all.  :lol:

31 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

You mean the ones who actually study constitutional law?

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Like the notorious RBG would have done? She said it was bad law. 

Only in that it was the wrong case used to overturn Roe, not that the decision itself was bad law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/05/06/ruth-bader-ginsburg-roe-wade/

Justice Ginsburg thought Roe was the wrong case to settle abortion issue. The Supreme Court probably wouldn't have the votes to overturn the right to abortion in Roe v. Wade, as a leaked draft opinion proposes, if Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg were still on the court.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, squistion said:

Only in that it was the wrong case used to overturn Roe, not that the decision itself was bad law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/05/06/ruth-bader-ginsburg-roe-wade/

Justice Ginsburg thought Roe was the wrong case to settle abortion issue. The Supreme Court probably wouldn't have the votes to overturn the right to abortion in Roe v. Wade, as a leaked draft opinion proposes, if Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg were still on the court.

Ooof. That’s the case that was overturned. You are the epitome of having just enough knowledge to be retarded. Or something like that. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ooof. That’s the case that was overturned. You are the epitome of having just enough knowledge to be retarded. Or something like that. 

Thanks! :banana:

It is unfortunate that she lacks the impartiality required for her role and position. Certainly if she were less activist and more jurist....she would be more effective, and things would be much easier for her. I wonder, when the court was tilting left....did she have any concern over how those right-leaning judges were feeling?

14 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Sotomayor is the most biased member of SCOTUS in either ideological direction, and it isn't close.  As per Axios:

Justice Samuel Alito narrowly overtook Justice Clarence Thomas as the Supreme Court's most conservative member this term, according to preliminary data that measures judicial ideology.

How to read the chart: An analysis by political scientists Andrew Martin and Kevin Quinn, known as the Martin-Quinn Score, places judges on an ideological spectrum. A lower score indicates a more liberal justice, whereas a higher score indicates a more conservative justice.

In her first full term on the court, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson was the most moderate member of the court's liberal wing (-1.704), with Justice Sonia Sotomayor being the most liberal (-4.09), per preliminary measurements of a score that judges on a liberal-conservative spectrum.

• Most liberal: Sonia Sotomayor (-4.09)
  • Elena Kagan (-2.067)
  • Ketanji Brown Jackson (-1.704)
  • John Roberts (0.42)
  • Brett Kavanaugh (0.446)
  • Amy Coney Barrett (0.821)
  • Neil Gorsuch (1.077)
  • Clarence Thomas (2.358)
  • Most conservative: Samuel Alito (2.568)

Editor's note: This story has been updated to include new preliminary scores for the 2022 term.

https://www.axios.com/2019/06/01/supreme-court-justices-ideology

It is sad that a Justice views her position as that of an activist for every cause du jour, vs. a protector of the constitution, but here she is.

• Like 1

You'll also notice in the above chart that four of the "conservative" justices are more moderate than any of the three "liberal" justices.  They sit IMO where justices should sit:  a slight bias to conservatism in the classic sense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

They shouldn't be activists anyways. 

4 hours ago, RLLD said:

It is unfortunate that she lacks the impartiality required for her role and position. Certainly if she were less activist and more jurist....she would be more effective, and things would be much easier for her. I wonder, when the court was tilting left....did she have any concern over how those right-leaning judges were feeling?

You know the answer to that. 

Just now, TheNewGirl said:

You know the answer to that. 

I do indeed.

She is unfit to be in her role based on what she stated.

18 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I agree. Inappropriate statement. Judges should not be thinking this way on the right or the left :thumbsdown:

I might have preferred she had said advocating for her constitutional viewpoint rather than fight for case specific outcomes.  Basically she gve us the common lament of those in the minority, but did so with very poor phrasing.  I supppose that poor phrasing might indicate a lack of carefully cobnsidering her words which would be a great liability to a Justice, but there we are.

I see this as an interesting problem for Democrats.  They clearly want to put activists on the court.  Sotomayor might not make it through the end of the next POTUS.....and what if she does not?

Republicans might put someone on there who will be impartial to activism...or worse....they put someone on their equivalent to Sotomayor...but with conservative inclinations....

Either way, Democrats might not be able to stomach a court that they can control even less....

She really should consider allowing them to replace her now.

29 minutes ago, RLLD said:

She really should consider allowing them to replace her now.

You shut your mouth. :mad:

We can have this discussion next year.

Just now, Voltaire said:

You shut your mouth. :mad:

We can have this discussion next year.

😁

I think it would be better if we did not add more "conservative" judges.   It is when people are denied a voice that we have the most problems.

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

😁

I think it would be better if we did not add more "conservative" judges.   It is when people are denied a voice that we have the most problems.

I understand your point, but IMO all SCOTUS judges (heck, all appellate judges and maybe all judges) should lean conservative.  The default should be to not shake things up too much, and only do so when existing laws clearly need a tweak.  

They should not be activists like Sotomayor who rubber stamp every progressive feeling du jour.

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

This is only a problem if Trump wins. He won’t. 

I agree that it is only a problem if Trump wins, and he likely will.

Perhaps Sotomayor can last it out. I would prefer this. I am not enthused with a court that is too far one way or the other. 

6 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

This is only a problem if Trump wins. He won’t. 

I feel like we went through this same thing before.......

44 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I understand your point, but IMO all SCOTUS judges (heck, all appellate judges and maybe all judges) should lean conservative.  The default should be to not shake things up too much, and only do so when existing laws clearly need a tweak.  

They should not be activists like Sotomayor who rubber stamp every progressive feeling du jour.

The Supreme Court does not make law it interprets the law. If they stick to that everything will be fine.

That was the problem with Roe v. Wade. Democrats never tried to codify it because it was a campaign winner for them