Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

I have A Problem With That Chic Beating Pete Maravich All Time Points Record

Pete only played three years as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Pete only played three years as well.

Well then there is that too and good point.

She didn't beat his points record, because she doesn't play in the same league. Women's college basketball is not Men's college basketball. Anyone or any news article saying she broke his record is incorrect or simply creating a narrative to support women/girls as equal to men. The 3-point thing is a good point as well, as is the number of years.

• Like 1

We shouldn’t be comparing men’s bb to women’s bb. It’s lame. 1202 wins for Geno Auriema and 1202 wins for Coach K are not the same thing. One did it against women the other against men. Caitlin Clark scored all those points against women and used a smaller basketball. 

Pistol Pete played three seasons at LSU. Shaquille didn’t even beat his points. 

48 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Not that she is a woman but cause 3 pointers wasn't around when Pete did it.

One can make the same argument about any sport, records are broken because of different rules , more games played.  

Pete also took like 40 shots a game. 

Both are great players. Clark is the only women’s player I have stopped and watched a game for.

22 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Both are great players. Clark is the only women’s player I have stopped and watched a game for.

Nebraska Cornhuskers women's team shut her down in the 2nd half when she was within 10 points of the record and beat Iowa. It was awesome.

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

One can make the same argument about any sport, records are broken because of different rules , more games played.  

True but I think more so of actual point changes.

26 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

40 shots a game worked for Jordan and Kobe.

1 hour ago, BeenHereBefore said:

If they let this broad throw up 40 shots a game she’d average 50 😂

She call ball no doubt.  Something about her rubs me the wrong way though.

She's a little too cocky. 

Longer seasons/more games per season.  Freshman not allowed to play varsity back in the say no matter how good.  No three point line.  Smaller ball.  The chick is very good for what she is.

Not unlike folks thinking Lebron is some scoring god for breaking 40,000.  Had Jabbar been allowed to enter the League out of high school he would have put up conservatively another 10,000 points.  Lebron would be chasing for another three years.  If the league enforced traveling and turning the ball over on the dribble or palming ther ball as it use to be called as a subset of double dribbling Lebron would have 5,000 less points.  If there was no 3 point line he would have fewer still, and if the league actaully played defense he would have fewer still.  Not saying he is not a great player but he has benefitted by the era.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Longer seasons/more games per season.  Freshman not allowed to play varsity back in the say no matter how good.  No three point line.  Smaller ball.  The chick is very good for waht she is.

Not unlike folks thinking Lebron is some scoring god for breaking 40,000.  Had Jabbar been allowed to enter the Leagu out of high school he would have put up conservatively another 10,000 points.  Lebron would be chasing for another three years.  If the league enforced traveling and turning the ball over lebron would have 5,000 less points.  If there was no 3 point line he would have fewer still, and if the league actaully played defense he would have fewer still.  Not saying he is not a great player but he has benefitted by the era.  

Exactly— different eras.  

15 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Highest shots per game for Jordan was 27.8

Kobe 27.2

1 minute ago, MLCKAA said:

Exactly— different eras.  

Well, completely different sport. There are so far fewer really good women’s players that you can get away with having one player take almost as many shots as her entire roster and get away with it. 

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

Highest shots per game for Jordan was 27.8

Kobe 27.2

Seven a quarter, fewer than I would have guessed.  maybe 1 out of every four shots by his team, again, less than i might have guessed.

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

Well, completely different sport. There are so far fewer really good women’s players that you can get away with having one player take almost as many shots as her entire roster and get away with it. 

Still, she has impressive skills, at least as far as shooting accuracy.  I would not want to take her on in a game of whores.

16 hours ago, Gepetto said:

She didn't beat his points record, because she doesn't play in the same league. Women's college basketball is not Men's college basketball. Anyone or any news article saying she broke his record is incorrect or simply creating a narrative to support women/girls as equal to men. The 3-point thing is a good point as well, as is the number of years.

This is the correct answer.

4 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Still, she has impressive skills, at least as far as shooting accuracy.  I would not want to take her on in a game of whores.

Meh… not in the top 50 in field goal percentage, and just barely in the top 40 in three-point percentage. She’s a volume shooter.

Meh… not in the top 50 in field goal percentage, and just barely in the top 40 in three-point percentage. She’s a volume shooter.

Could you take her in a game of whores?

Could you take her in a game of whores?

I shoot 6 days a week. Id take my chances sure. 

And nobody beats me if whores are involved. :)

11 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yeah.  Not being familiar with her I looked up her stats.  In 2 of the last 4 games her FG% is like 33%.  Not great.  And she uses a smaller ball.   But her other stats (reb, assists, etc....) seem pretty good so she seems like a well rounded player.  That being said, I set a timer to record the game today to see what the hype is all about. 

Just now, Strike said:

Yeah.  Not being familiar with her I looked up her stats.  In 2 of the last 4 games her FG% is like 33%.  Not great.  And she uses a smaller ball.   That being said, I set a timer to record the game today to see what the hype is all about. 

Well, let me give you a couple things to watch for. Watch how many times she can get to her right hand and dribble for 30 feet before anybody bothers to try to stop her in the lane. If she goes left it’s a step back jumper every time. 

it gets back to what I’ve said about women’s basketball. There are so few good players that it’s completely idiotic to play her straight up. Put a box and one on her and force her left. She’ll still score because she gets a lot of calls and she shoots a lot, but she’s not gonna go for 30 points every damn time. 

12 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Even at the height of my play which is years in the rear view mirror I would not take her on in a shooting contest.  I would have played her one on one as she could do nothing with my size and strength and speed.  I just notice the few times I have watched her, as why would I really care to watch a chic play ball, she has pretty decent skills.

16 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

😂 she would smoke you. Come on man. 

The athleticism will never be there and their games are largely unwatchable, but the ladies are starting to be able to shoot and that will continue to improve. 

The chick in the NBA all-star game this year hung with the best men shooters. 

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

The athleticism will never be there and their games are largely unwatchable, but the ladies are starting to be able to shoot and that will continue to improve. 

The chick in the NBA all-star game this year hung with the best men shooters. 

She used a smaller ball.  Get back to me when men and women use the same ball.

10 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

😂 she would smoke you. Come on man. 

In a horse game? Nah. Im still 3rd i believe in 3 pointers at the juco i played at. There’s an app called HomeCourt that I still use to track shots and on a day I shoot maybe 200 three-pointers usually go about a 75% clip at least. Hit 80% a few times. I can’t guard the chair you’re sitting in, but I can shoot. Id be ok. Not saying she couldn’t get me, but it would be close for sure.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

She used a smaller ball.  Get back to me when men and women use the same ball.

This is a weird thing to focus on. 

In a horse game? Nah. Im still 3rd i believe in 3 pointers at the juco i played at. There’s an app called HomeCourt that I still use to track shots and on a day I shoot maybe 200 three-pointers usually go about a 75% clip at least. Hit 80% a few times. I can’t guard the chair you’re sitting in, but I can shoot. Id be ok. Not saying she couldn’t get me, but it would be close for sure.

I guess in HORSE anything can happen. There’s no way she’d get my shoot off handed, through the net, off the backboard and back in shot. That always gets me a two letter advantage before people know what’s hit them 😂

10 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

This is a weird thing to focus on. 

I love the woman's ball.  I can barely palm a men's ball but can readily palm a woman's ball.  Back in the day that allowed me dunk the woman's ball where I could never convincingly dunk a men's ball.

2 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I guess in HORSE anything can happen. There’s no way she’d get my shoot off handed, through the net, off the backboard and back in shot. That always gets me a two letter advantage before people know what’s hit them 😂

Ha thats always tough. Shot around and played horse a few times with Raef Lafrenz, and one thing he taught me was in horse, it’s not about crazy shots it’s just changing depth. So he milked me just going 15 footer 23 footer, eight footer 12 footer. 

I love the woman's ball.  I can barely palm a men's ball but can readily palm a woman's ball.  Back in the day that allowed me dunk the woman's ball were I could never convincingly dunk a men's ball.

This is sounding Tom Brady deflated balls territory here. 

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

This is sounding Tom Brady deflated balls territory here. 

I kept one around to stretch my hands out and to get jumping in warm ups but never snuck it into a game.  No Brady moves for me. Also, any guy who played any ball would have instantly known as soon as it hit their hand, if not before.

Ha thats always tough. Shot around and played horse a few times with Raef Lafrenz, and one thing he taught me was in horse, it’s not about crazy shots it’s just changing depth. So he milked me just going 15 footer 23 footer, eight footer 12 footer. 

I play semi regularly and there are a couple dudes who look they would have a hard time bowling who you cannot leave open so I get shooters shoot but this chick is def another level.

I guess more impressive to me at least is she’s doing it with all the scrutiny and makes a women’s game watchable - no offense ladies. 

Would assume the ball goes through the hoop at a higher rate when it is smaller.  

I stopped and watched her for 1 game.  Was the LSU game.  I was fairly impressed.  Sort of boggles my mind how good shooters have gotten across the board.  

Shes real good.  We sort of pick and choose when we compare sports records.  If a guy beat an all time ncaa record held by a woman, it would hardly get any press framed in that way.  

Shes impressive and its good for womens basketball.  Im still not all that interested.