Sign in to follow this  
naomi

What is the healthiest thing you do? Physical well-being wise

Whether it's an activity, aspect of diet, supplement, sleep habit, or something else - what seems to make the most positive impact?

Mine is possibly drinking bilberry nectar. Bilberries grow in Europe and Asia and are in the blueberry family. I'm not absolutely sure yet (gotta get through a couple lady cycles), but it seems to be counterbalancing inflammation. It also contains compounds that promote gut health. Pleasantly tart with a hint of sweetness, 4 - 6 oz. a day works for me; I go easy on it because tannin overload gives me migraines.

• Like 1

Eat well, cut out all dairy and you'll feel better almost overnight. 

Only buy organic meat and vegetables. The amount of pesticides they use is unreal. Those 2 changes alone will change your life. 

Go to the gym 6-7 days a week.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Exercise my reproductive system.  

We really don't need to hear about your masturbation habits

• Haha 1

I make sure to get a full 8 hours of sleep every night by drinking 3 or 4 shots before bed to take the edge off the coke. 

37 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I make sure to get a full 8 hours of sleep every night by drinking 3 or 4 shots before bed to take the edge off the coke. 

You should start a commercial health spa.  I know I would be interested in a program like you have outlined.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Strike said:

We really don't need to hear about your masturbation habits

She asked.  :dunno: 

Pray to the Lord. 

• Like 1

I gave up smoking, caffeine, and salt.  I gave up listening to news on t.v. and radio as I do not need the aggravation.  In the warm months I paddle for a few hours on even days and bike for a few hours on odd days.  During those times I get into a rhythm which clears my mind and occassionally I see some amazing wildlife.  I do a bit of light weight training.  I am replacing my aikido practice with ballroom dancing lessons once a week.  I try to walk a mile each evening.  I eat nothing processed.  I think I am going to get a dog to accompany me on my walks and padddles.  Dogs calm me. 

• Like 1

Just came from the gym and workout a 1 hour straight with weights and very little rest between sets 4 four days a week, Been eating a lot of Tofu lately and have my foods with essential amino acids.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Go to the gym 6-7 days a week.

That's a lot of time at the gym. do you sometimes wear a wig and wonder off to the ladies room ?

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Exercise my reproductive system.  

🤣

I run 10-20 miles a week and go to the gym at least five times a week. Doing core and legs two days a week has really helped. I'm in better shape now than I was five years ago.

I almost never eat fast food and prolly take in fewer than 2,000 calories a day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I run 10-20 miles a week and go to the gym at least five times a week. Doing core and legs two days a week has really helped. I'm in better shape now than I was five years ago.

I almost never eat fast food and prolly take in fewer than 2,000 calories a day.

😆 You rub cat pemuses for exercise. 😆

27 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

That's a lot of time at the gym. do you sometimes wear a wig and wonder off to the ladies room ?

Not just sometimes. :wub: 

• Haha 1

Drink shitloads of water before bed. 

16 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

How often do you have to get up to pee during the night?

eta: assuming you get up for it..

3 minutes ago, naomi said:

He doesn't.

:(

3 minutes ago, naomi said:

3-4 times a night, easily.  Sucks, but I never have a hangover :banana:

46 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I tried to run around your mom once....Once

• Haha 1

I generally try to be good in the major factors of good health:

Diet:  don't eat out much, wife is a great cook who loves to cook from scratch.  Generally lower carb but not overly so.  Lots of fish, usually at least two veggies at dinner (and leftovers at lunch).  High fiber, low carb (other than fiber) granola with yogurt and fruit for breakfast.  Some eggs.  I also try to drink lots of water, a habit to stay hydrated I started during chemo years ago.

Exercise:  most days.  I just came back from a 20 minute shoot around at the local park.  I run down, shoot hoops at a high intensity, run back.  Manage to keep my heart rate around 130 plus or minus.  Other exercise includes HIIT w/some weight training, hiking, rucking, golf, and a golf workout I've devised.  Occasionally running, but I really don't like it; I'd prefer something like HIIT or hoops for cardio.

Flexibility:  I'm woefully inflexible, but I have a 10-minute stretch routine I do pretty much every day.  Golf is my primary motivation, but it's good for overall health.  I'd like to get back into yoga some, but I can't do hot yoga (which was my favorite) and I can't hang upside down with my stoma, so I've put it off.

Intellectual:  I take classes at ASU which are part of the OLLI network for retired folks:  https://lifelonglearning.asu.edu/  They are offered at other schools throughout the country, and many of ours are available on Zoom.  That's where I started memoir writing, and taken classes on subjects from autonomous vehicle technology (currently) to Einstein's great 1905 year to Beethoven's 9th symphony.  Keeps the mind a little sharp.

Sleep:  Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep.  I've noticed the quality is much better when I haven't been drinking (duh), which leads me to rooms for improvement:

Drinking:  could drink less

Social:  it's hard with my voice situation, and I've always been this weird introvert/extrovert combo where I love big social situations, but I'm just as happy home alone, so I don't feel like I'm too emotionally hurting.  I still occasionally see folks, including at the OLLI classes.

1 hour ago, SUXBNME said:

At least you're finally admitting that Coors Light is water.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Protein shake for breakfast, deli meat with no bread, handful of cashews, healthy chips…try to eat a good dinner, no food after 9.

I don’t smoke and I rarely drink. In the gym five days a week and sometimes at night riding the bike.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not psychotic. I have plenty of cheat meals and pizzas and crap. 

healthiest thing you can do is change up your kitchen.

My diet

Protein

Eggs, deer meat, grass fed meat, bone broth, Greek yogurt, tofu, tuna, kippers, sardines , cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and once in a while chicken breast and turkey breast.

The Rest

Oatmeal, quinoa, olive oil , raw honey , apples , bananas , blue berries, sweet potatoes Dave's oat bread.

Condiments

Mayo, horseradish and sriracha

Crap food

Ice cream , cookies , Little Debbie's, pizza and etc.

• Like 1

Beer, gummies, and fried frog legs po-boys.