Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Have a son turning 16. Car talk inside

Mazda Miata.

.. with a summer job as landscaper?

If I asked my father to buy me a car when I was a teenager he would have laughed. And laughed some more.

Tell me about it. I think I told the story here about how my dad borrowed the money I made from the sale of my first car. He eventually paid me back months later by buying me a clunker from a mud lot.

I am in MA, so we don't have as many options because the state regulates the prices. We have a pretty good agent who takes care of us based on a little shopping around in the past. AAA discounts and having decent grades helps with some of the savings, but kids are just more expensive to insure because of their accident rate.

I think that he cost us an extra $1,300 per year and he pays for that.

I feel like 1300 a year is not a lot for a teenage driver.

I'm trying to remember back. When I took my car to college my 2nd year, I was 19 going on 20 and the stipulation was I needed to get my own insurance policy. I started out with Progressive? I think or maybe Liberty Mutual and then at some point switched to Geico. Right now I pay roughly $820 a year, paying 6 months in full. Back then? I really don't remember it being much more than $1100.

I do remember not being able to switch carriers for a while because I had an accident on my record still (minor bumped someone in the back on an on ramp) and I couldn't save any money switching to Geico until it fell off. 3 years? 5 years? don't recall what the time limit was.

Honda Civic. Good car, good gas mileage, cheap, and lasts a while. Or a Toyota Camry.

i havn't looked at prices of honda civics in years but i remember them as being affordable as new cars but not worth it as used. might as well buy new. but maybe that theory that they hold their resale value so well isn't the case anymore

also laughing at all the peopl who say 4wd makes no difference. I currently have FWD and while its just fine in northern NJ winters, it doesn't even compare to the ease of popping my old explorer or blazer into 4wd and just going. Not even having to shovel myself out of some decently deep snow. I wouldn't say 4wd gives a false sense of security.... it's more a true sense of security that some d-bags will take for granted and act like they own the road in bad conditions. Also, its not so much security at all, as the bigger danger is always other drivers in bad weather who either don't know how to drive in it or are not equipped.

also, while a good set of snow tires are great, I never saw the point in having to go out of my way to buy and put on snow tires, and then swap back if I simply had 4wd. have never once considered owning snow tires.

Only time I had any issues in bad snow was with my current FWD when I absolutely let my tires get too bald.

• Like 1

i havn't looked at prices of honda civics in years but i remember them as being affordable as new cars but not worth it as used. might as well buy new. but maybe that theory that they hold their resale value so well isn't the case anymore

Still good value.

For my kid, $1300 per year is on a car with no collision coverage. Just covers him, others and property. The wife and I pay considerably less.

also laughing at all the peopl who say 4wd makes no difference. I currently have FWD and while its just fine in northern NJ winters, it doesn't even compare to the ease of popping my old explorer or blazer into 4wd and just going. Not even having to shovel myself out of some decently deep snow. I wouldn't say 4wd gives a false sense of security.... it's more a true sense of security that some d-bags will take for granted and act like they own the road in bad conditions. Also, its not so much security at all, as the bigger danger is always other drivers in bad weather who either don't know how to drive in it or are not equipped.

also, while a good set of snow tires are great, I never saw the point in having to go out of my way to buy and put on snow tires, and then swap back if I simply had 4wd. have never once considered owning snow tires.

Only time I had any issues in bad snow was with my current FWD when I absolutely let my tires get too bald.

Yeah neigh sayers are ignorant, much rather put my kids in an awd or 4wd vehicle and have. Yeah, you cant stop any quicker but that is teachable. At least they mostly going where they point the wheel.

• Like 1

Bought my daughter a Subaru 4 years ago when she started driving. Was an 01 with 50k miles on it. Tempted to say f daughter and take it back. Thing is a tank and very dependable.

Aside from certain years having chronic head gasket issues, Subarus are quality very quality cars.

Exactly. That 4wd aint helping you stop.

If you're in the snow, yes it does.

Yes, I have reasoning behind this, but in my current keers light state, I'm not able to tell you why

I get this point and can sympathize. My pops wasn't around but, I get it. My mom dropped $500 on a 1984 Chrysler Cordoba, she complained about the money like it was 50k. It had every option.. None of them worked...

Did it have the soft corinthian leather leather option? :wub:

What about a mid 2000's Cherokee. Parts are easy to come, very reliable.... not so good on the MPG but it checks your other boxes off.

Unfortunately, not very reliable in my experience as a grease monkey.

Parts are very easy to come by, though, like you said. :thumbsup:

Late to the party. But if he's a pickup kid. Toyota Tacomas the way to go. 4 wheel drive, reliable, looks good as is (plus easily modifiable.) Just do the regular oil changes (with proper maintenance also), and he can run that thing right into the ground.

Don't you dare modify anything except for the visuals. :mad:

You put a cold air intake on that and I'll WALK to your house and punch you in the face in front of your ghey tattoed lover and your ex wife and your pitbulls

Wow, classy.

He's mostly a good kid, but he has his moments

Settled on a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner Sport with a Toyota installed 3 inch lift and 17in pro comp extreme black wheels and brand new tires.

87,000 miles and well taken care of for $15,500

• Like 2

Settled on a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner Sport with a Toyota installed 3 inch lift and 17in pro comp extreme black wheels and brand new tires.

Make sure to get a good auto insurance policy.

Nice! He is going to love that ride, and the cheerleaders and sorority girls will be in line to go out with him. Make sure he doesn't text & drive.

I am seriously looking at trading in an X5 for a used 4runner. Except I'd go with a 3rd gen (late 90s-2002), I like that boxy body style better.

Elaborate

Your son is going to love driving that so he will probably put more miles on it than he would a boring Camry. He will also feel like a pimp driving it and may be more inclined to show off for his passengers, whether that is speeding, passing, going too fast on curves or ice/wet roads, going down 2 tracks, whatever. Basically just putting himself in more opportunities for an accident.

That is how I took it anyways.

Damn, sweet wheels for a 16 yo. Jealous. I think my first car was an early 70's 4 door neon blue Chevy Nova. I always got the hammy-downs from old ladies in the church. My dad would try to brag it up, Look how clean that back seat is! Like it hasn't even been sat on.

Your son is going to love driving that so he will probably put more miles on it than he would a boring Camry. He will also feel like a pimp driving it and may be more inclined to show off for his passengers, whether that is speeding, passing, going too fast on curves or ice/wet roads, going down 2 tracks, whatever. Basically just putting himself in more opportunities for an accident.

That is how I took it anyways.

You took it incorrectly, I was being a smartass troll.

Don't you dare modify anything except for the visuals. :mad:

You put a cold air intake on that and I'll WALK to your house and punch you in the face in front of your ghey tattoed lover and your ex wife and your pitbulls

What would it take for you to just punch the ex wife?

You took it incorrectly, I was being a smartass troll.

I figured as much. I know you are tighter than a nun's knees.

He should get a job and buy his own damn car. Thats the way I did it. Do they still have work experience in school?

I remember when I was 14 I started chomping at the bit, couldn't focking wait. At 15 and a half you could work like 2 hours of your school day at a job and get credit plus make money. Was the sh!t for everyone involved. Pretty sure the biz paid us kids less than min wage, we as kids got money to buy our car, and we got out of school 2 or 3 hours before then end of the day.

Best focking idea ever by the worthless public school system. In fact it was their only good idea. Do they still do that?

• Like 1

Why the lift kit?

Good choice. I think you and he will be very happy with it.

• Like 1

I get this point and can sympathize. My pops wasn't around but, I get it. My mom dropped $500 on a 1984 Chrysler Cordoba, she complained about the money like it was 50k. It had every option.. None of them worked...

Thing is, times are different and my wife and I do pretty well. Our kids make great grades, both athletes and involved. Haven't been a lot of opportunities for them to make money with their busy schedules, I am glad we can provide things like reliable vehicles for them.

Imo, if they can appreciate it, truly appreciate it when it's bought for them, it's ok. If your kid can't appreciate what he/she gets, they don't deserve shlt and they should have been taught to appreciate things