Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Car shopping - UPDATE

Recommendations and shopping tips appreciated :) I'm in a Ford Focus, sometimes Fusion browsing rut. I'm open to both but they're all I've been looking at. Style wise, I like Jettas but I believe Sux said no VW's. Basically I just want a sturdy, fuel efficient car that won't be a handful if something needs fixing eventually. Ideal budget is in the 7,500 - 8,500 range but can go up to 10K (though I'd prefer not to).

Recommendations and shopping tips appreciated :) I'm in a Ford Focus, sometimes Fusion browsing rut. I'm open to both but they're all I've been looking at. Style wise, I like Jettas but I believe Sux said no VW's. Basically I just want a sturdy, fuel efficient car that won't be a handful if something needs fixing eventually. Ideal budget is in the 7,500 - 8,500 range but can go up to 10K (though I'd prefer not to).

For all that is holy, PLEASE, PLEASE, GET OUT OF THIS RUT .

I'm actually being very serious. Very much throwaway cars :(

For all that is holy, PLEASE, PLEASE, GET OUT OF THIS RUT .

I'm actually being very serious. Very much throwaway cars :(

Sux is right ...those vehicles have major transmission problems also.

I started this new job in September and it didn't come with a company car, I've been putting it off. I get around just fine with uber and my bike, I'm on the road half the month, so I can't justify the expense.

Now it's been my personal game how long I can delay it, eventually it will be too hot to take my bike. It's good for me that I live in an area where everything is only about a mile from me. Farthest place I go from my house is Minute Maid park, and that's a quick three mile bike ride on a trail.

I hated my budies Yaris. Too much road noise. And it looked gay

It is a Yaris. A bare bones cheap vehicle. You drive a Cruz, I drive a 10 year old Honda Civic, they are both crappy vehicles, although yours will break down about 100k miles before mine.

Naomi,

How many years do you want to own your next car?

How many miles a year do you drive?

How important is vehicle size?

Do you place more emphasis on reliability or options?

With that budget a fuel efficient versatile reliable car, i'd go for a 2008/9 honda fit.

How about the Ford Escape?

My wifes ford escape started falling apart after 100k miles... i wasn't pleased dropping 5k on a new transmission, the getting rid of it after a bunch of other stupid stuff started failing. I've never had any of those issues with my honda/acuras

U wont find a good deal on a fusion or focus cuz those vehicles move fast (and I don't know why) Get you a Toyota, Honda, etc and u will be better off. Go to autolist.com and type in the year, make, model, and price that u are looking for. Do a search within a 100 mile radius of where ur at and look for the best deal. The Autolist website will show u how many days that particular vehicle has been sitting on that lot too. Itll also show u if its pricier or cheaper in comparison to other dealerships. The longer it sits, the better ur chances are of getting a deal. Its a fantastic tool to use. Good Luck.

With that budget a fuel efficient versatile reliable car, i'd go for a 2008/9 honda fit.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. :wub: But I'm too slow...they sell as soon as they go up. :(

Wait 2-3 years and get a used Tesla 3.

Or devise a betting system for fantasy NASCAR and get a Mercedes.

Some seriously bad recommendations in here... Fit, Yaris, wtf? I mean I guess if you literally had no other options.

That budget should get you a good used car, Naomi. Even in CA. My advice is keep looking for what is available in your price range and as something catches your eye then google that year, make and model to get an idea of its reliability.

Also get a sense of how much it costs to fix for when things do go wrong or even just for basic service. That old Volvo may look cool but it's going to send you to the poor house when a major repair is needed.

Stay away from the weird models they don't make anymore or where it was the first year or two they made them (before they'd worked out the kinks).

Some seriously bad recommendations in here... Fit, Yaris, wtf? I mean I guess if you literally had no other options.

That budget should get you a good used car, Naomi. Even in CA. My advice is keep looking for what is available in your price range and as something catches your eye then google that year, make and model to get an idea of its reliability.

Also get a sense of how much it costs to fix for when things do go wrong or even just for basic service. That old Volvo may look cool but it's going to send you to the poor house when a major repair is needed.

Stay away from the weird models they don't make anymore or where it was the first year or two they made them (before they'd worked out the kinks).

The fit is a great hatch and extremely versatile as a do everything reliable car w good MPG... i am a car guy. don't question my recommendations.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. :wub: But I'm too slow...they sell as soon as they go up. :(

Tell worms

Fit and yaris are both great cars.

I'll admit you guys could be right but whenever I've seen one on the road my thoughts are 1) that's ugly as fock and 2) it looks like some weird thing that would have all kinds of screwy and hard to fix issues.

Two is the much greater concern so if I'm wrong on that, then I'm wrong.

Tell worms

And I want a manual so that makes it exponentially harder. :(

I'll admit you guys could be right but whenever I've seen one on the road my thoughts are 1) that's ugly as fock and 2) it looks like some weird thing that would have all kinds of screwy and hard to fix issues.

Two is the much greater concern so if I'm wrong on that, then I'm wrong.

The screwy hard to fix issues are largely the product of german engineering and don't apply to hondas

And I want a manual so that makes it exponentially harder. :(

Nice. My next car will be manual... i miss it.

The last few times I've traveled for work they put me in either a Camry or a Fusion. The Fusion sucked. I actually might buy this years Camry next year or the year after. I really enjoyed driving those cars.

It is a Yaris. A bare bones cheap vehicle. You drive a Cruz, I drive a 10 year old Honda Civic, they are both crappy vehicles, although yours will break down about 100k miles before mine.

Naomi,

How many years do you want to own your next car?

How many miles a year do you drive?

How important is vehicle size?

Do you place more emphasis on reliability or options?

I rarely keep cars that long anyway. I start to get an itch for a different car. I do plan on keeping the Cruz longer than any other car i have had.

Fun fact: 4 of my cars have been totalled. 2 of them i wasnt even in when they were totalled.

The screwy hard to fix issues are largely the product of german engineering and don't apply to hondas

This X 1000.

Electrical diag on most German cars can be quite the nightmare .

There's a reason their resale value takes a huge dive quicker than their Jap competitors.

This X 1000.

There's a reason their resale value takes a huge dive quicker than their Jap competitors.

can always count on you on cars and eggs benedict :thumbsup:

can always count on you on cars and eggs benedict :thumbsup:

And peemus

I'm looking at a 2013 Lexus RX350 AWD with 40,000 miles for $30,000. Yay or nay?

At 10,000 miles a year can I expect to be relatively repair free for 10 years? Minus the normal stuff like oil change, brakes and tires.

I'm looking at a 2013 Lexus RX350 AWD with 40,000 miles for $30,000. Yay or nay?

At 10,000 miles a year can I expect to be relatively repair free for 10 years? Minus the normal stuff like oil change, brakes and tires.

go on the nerd forums and learn about the issues with that specific year... I like honda/acura, but the MDX from 2013 had the 3.7V6 that has oil consumption issues, so i stayed away from that engine in my TL and when i got my wife an MDX. In general ya the RX is a great SUV and you should be good, but do your research on carfax, on the forums, and pay for a 3rd party dealer inspection if you can. Well worth the $100-150

edit: check if it has a timing chain or a belt... If its a belt, you are probably looking at a pricey 100k mile service. I did the belt, waterpump, tensioner, and spark plugs and it was in the $1200 range... but should be good with normal wear and tear items for the next 100k miles.

The Fit is an great choice What is your opinion of a good used car?

This X 1000.

What do you think about the Tesla Model 3?

The Fit is an great choice What is your opinion of a good used car?

Acura, Toyota, Honda... already responded on the Fit. Just doesn't look right to me but skibum and dank probably know more than me