Sign in to follow this  
Antiramie

Sit Brees @ Chicago?

This may sound crazy, but I'm really considering starting Thigpen over Brees next week. Bears D is looking scary again, and the forecast says it might be 5 degrees with the wind chill. Not exactly dome-team friendly...

I really don't want to sit a stud for a playoff game, but this matchup screams BENCH! Anyone else drinking my kool-aid? If so, who you replacing Brees with?

same exact situation, brees or thigpen

haven't started anyone different at QB all year. Having said that, he's averaged 17 pts away, and 14 pts in outside stadiums this year. Combine that with that the game will be a Thursday night where it will be snowing and in the twenties.

VS

Thiggy, averaging 23 pts at home vs a chargers. Weather.com says high of 46 with a chance of rain...

Along those same lines, how do you think the weather affects other matchups in this game? :pointstosky: I'm looking at being forced to start P Thomas as one of my RBs due to the two injuries yesterday to Gore and Hillis. Normally, the Saints passing offense is good enough against just about any team to open up some running lanes, but if the weather's that bad I think they'll be lucky to not be frozen solid right there on the field. :doublethumbsup:

tough call. i would wait until thursday night and look at the latest weather forecasts for both games and then make my final decision. unless it is very windy, i would expect the saints to throw it a lot because that is usually what they do. the bears defense looked good today, but that was against jax, who has been mostly unimpressive this year.

at the same time, the kc/sd game could easily be a high-scoring shootout. the brees/thigpen decision is surprisingly a difficult one that could go either way. if you're anything like me, i would recommend just deciding which guy you believe will have the best game and then start the other guy.

obviously, you want to start the guy that will put up the most points, but it would probably be a rough off-season if you bench brees, lose, and would have won if you would have started brees. this is just one more factor to consider, though.

As a Bears fan, I'm afraid that Brees will pick apart the Bears pass D regardless of weather. I would start him.

You have got to be kidding me. Brees against Chi is a must start. Cold weather. These are pros we are talking about. Don't be the wuss you think Brees is :music_guitarred:

I have Brees in three leagues. I'll be starting Warner over him in one league. The other two though.....it's Brees all the way. My option in one league is Jeff Garcia and my option in the other league is.......JeMarcus Russell, I don't think so!!

Bears are good, but they do have injuries to their secondary. With a healthy Reggie, Brees is that much better.

This may sound crazy, but I'm really considering starting Thigpen over Brees next week. Bears D is looking scary again, and the forecast says it might be 5 degrees with the wind chill. Not exactly dome-team friendly...

I really don't want to sit a stud for a playoff game, but this matchup screams BENCH! Anyone else drinking my kool-aid? If so, who you replacing Brees with?

1. Against which quality QB have the 2008 Bears looked scarey? They have had trouble with several average QBs.
  2. 5 degrees with wind chill screams BENCH to you? Did you watch Matt Schaub pass for 400+ in 2 degrees actual?

Anybody who carries Warner with Brees has a case to be made; everyone else, start him with confidence.

The Bears have the 28th ranked defense vs. the pass. Unless there's a blizzard, I'm starting him with confidence.

People quite often over-rate the impact of weather

The boys from Houston didn't seem to have much of a problem moving the ball in sub-zero temps yesterday

I have Brees in both of my leagues, and I plan to sink or swim with him all the way.

The Bears have the 28th ranked defense vs. the pass. Unless there's blizzard, I'm starting him with confidence.

yes DA BEARS pass defense is awful!!!! if i pull out victory this week im rollin with brees. he can throw during snow, sleet, rain, blizzard, wind, or what ever :thumbsup:

This will also not be something new for Brees. He's played late season games in Chicago for the last 2 years straight. (Week 17 and the NFC Champ.) He put up very good numbers in both and threw it a ton (109 attempts total). Bears pass D is MUCH worse this year too. You'd have to be crazy to not start him.

I have Brees as well but I also have Rodger Vs. Jax. This will be a tough call to bench Brees but if the weather is bad what would you do?

The Houston vs. GB game yesterday was a great example. Cold does'nt seem to have that much to do with a QBs stats the only thing that would worry me is if there are strong winds. Brees did well in the 06 NFC Championship game, not as cold but went 27/49 -354 -2 TDs. I have Bush and Lance Moore so I will be watching the weather report.

:shocking: You people crack me up. Why on Earth would you bench Brees? The guy is an elite QB!!! Stop overthinking these matchups. I know everyone's scoring system might be different but David Garrard, based on my league's scoring, put up 12 points against the Bears. If Garrard put up 12 with only 1 viable offensive threat, what do you think Brees will do? :thumbsup:

I own Brees & P. Thomas.

I'm starting both without a doubt.

Why? Because in the playoffs, you go with the studs that got you there.

The worst thing that can happen is for you to stick someone in there over Brees and lose.

Not the time to get Cute. If you going to lose, at least lose with your best players my friends.

1. Against which quality QB have the 2008 Bears looked scarey? They have had trouble with several average QBs.
  2. 5 degrees with wind chill screams BENCH to you? Did you watch Matt Schaub pass for 400+ in 2 degrees actual?

Anybody who carries Warner with Brees has a case to be made; everyone else, start him with confidence.

QFT

IMO that's the only way you'd sit Brees.

Consider that if it's really windy, Pierre Thomas and Reggie will still catch that underneath stuff and work their magic.

BTW, I am rolling with P. Thomas.

I own Brees & P. Thomas.

I'm starting both without a doubt.

Why? Because in the playoffs, you go with the studs that got you there.

The worst thing that can happen is for you to stick someone in there over Brees and lose.

Not the time to get Cute. If you going to lose, at least lose with your best players my friends.

:thumbsdown:

Could you imagine how bad you'd feel watching Brees put up 300 yards and 3 TDs on your bench as your team goes down in flames?

:overhead:

Could you imagine how bad you'd feel watching Brees put up 300 yards and 3 TDs on your bench as your team goes down in flames?

Dude! You just dogged me for starting Romo!

Consistency! Catch it!

Dude! You just dogged me for starting Romo!

Consistency! Catch it!

I'm starting Brees vs. the 28th ranked pass defense, you started Romo vs. #1 ranked defense. I think I'm being pretty consistent.

I'm starting Brees vs. the 28th ranked pass defense, you started Romo vs. #1 ranked defense. I think I'm being pretty consistent.

It falls under the category of not benching your studs. If Romo had a history of not putting up numbers against tough defenses, that would be one thing. He doesn't. I'll give it to you that he has a history of choking in certain game situations, but on a whole, he's too good to bench.

Be honest. If you were, say, a Barber owner, would you bench him against the Steelers?

It falls under the category of not benching your studs. If Romo had a history of not putting up numbers against tough defenses, that would be one thing. He doesn't. I'll give it to you that he has a history of choking in certain game situations, but on a whole, he's too good to bench.

Be honest. If you were, say, a Barber owner, would you bench him against the Steelers?

He has a history in cooling off come December and during critical games. Facing a Steelers team that's limiting opponents to about 250 total offense and less than 14.5 points a game IS the one time you should bench him. I'd have benched MBIII too.

It depends on your other options. It funny you should ask though, since I do own Barber and had him on my bench even before I heard he wasn't playing, in favor of Dunn.

I'm in New Orleans!!! Thomas or MJD? I'm leaning on PT Cruiser to ride it out! What say you?

I have both Brees and Warner.

The only thing that concerns me about Brees this week is his TD/INT ratio on the road.

Home: 19 TD / 4 INT

Away: 7 TD / 10 INT

Granted he still averages 300 ypg on the road, but those are pretty awful home/road splits.

However, Minnesota (for Warner) has only allowed 12 passing TDs this year... so he's not exactly the better matchup either.

I'm probably starting Brees... along with Forte... so that Thursday night game will basically make-or-break my playoff run.

Scoring on Thursday night games have been pretty high over the past 2 seasons.

Offense get an edge with shorten weeks.

Here's hoping that we get a 45-35 type game. :doublethumbsup:

I have been debating this for 2 days and I just now realized...what the FOCK am I thinking...its Drew FOCKING Brees am I FOCKING stupid??...Unless you have Warner or Cutler it has to be Brees

Cheers

Spider

The weather is predicted to be not that bad...low 20s, little wind, and little precipitation.

The harder question is: if you are a Brees owner, would you start K. Walter in a dome vs. TENN over M. Colston?????

I had a Warner/Thigpen decision 5 minutes ago. I really don't like either matchup. So I picked up Shaun Hill and not looking back. If I had Brees I'd be looking at Shaun Hill as well.

Brees went to college at Purdue.....played in bad weather games all the time :(

:(

What he said - I've never been colder than I was at the bucket game in '00. Granted it was IU - but DB will be fine. If memory serves he threw for somewhere around 250-2 in that game. And the temps were in the single digits. Start him - I am!

Bears homer here, I think it's a HUGE mistake not to start Brees. The Bears have looked good against St. Louis & Jacksonville recently :( . Look what the Packers and Vikings did to them, they're not as good as everyone thinks, this stigma about the Bears D is strange as I've seen every play, every game. Early in the year they could have put a few wins together and got on a roll, but they let Brain Griese shred them, and they let Delhomme and Carolina come back and beat them.

Start Brees with confidence, cold weather doesn't mean a thing, -20 maybe but it's not supposed to be that bad Thursday. The ONLY way you don't start him is if the wind is blowing 20+ MPH.

Good luck!!!

Bears homer here, I think it's a HUGE mistake not to start Brees. The Bears have looked good against St. Louis & Jacksonville recently :shocking: . Look what the Packers and Vikings did to them, they're not as good as everyone thinks, this stigma about the Bears D is strange as I've seen every play, every game. Early in the year they could have put a few wins together and got on a roll, but they let Brain Griese shred them, and they let Delhomme and Carolina come back and beat them.

Start Brees with confidence, cold weather doesn't mean a thing, -20 maybe but it's not supposed to be that bad Thursday. The ONLY way you don't start him is if the wind is blowing 20+ MPH.

Good luck!!!

What about starting Orton? Do you think he can have some success? Possibly 2-3 TD's and yards? I want to start him against a beat up NO secondary but need some affirmation from a Bears fan fan who has seen him play this year.

Chicago is 28th in the league vs the pass.

The only tupe of weather that typically concerns me is wind... so if the reports in this thread are true about 5 mph or less, than I have no problems starting Brees in the Windy city.