Sign in to follow this  
How can we get more people here?

Make me mod and you don't have to worry yourself one bit.

Yeah, let's make the guy who thinks it's cool to make fun of former members when they die Mod. Great idea :thumbsdown:

Hold on a second guys. I appreciate all of your feedback and thoughts about downtime, promotion, etc. but what I'm really looking for is your thoughts and opinions about moderation/rules and how it relates to posty's question.

Do you think, in the long run, more people would post here and the community would be a better place with increased moderation and/or stricter rules?

I'll take this Mike, regardless of his response we are not looking for more moderation. What distinguished this board from any other in the past was the fact that we tended to police our own. But there really is no answer to someone who wants to flood the front page by starting their own threads.

being fairlly apolitical myself, I just don't understand what the end game is for starting politicial threads (on either side). I mean, people choose to believe what they want and they post content that supports those beliefs. The same can be said about abortion/religion threads, etc. They NEVER change anyone's opinion although seemingly that's what the original poster intends.

Bottom line, any time one poster dominates the front page with threads that they started (regardlesss of topic), it is a huge turn off and I go elsewhere. :thumbsdown:

Been screaming this for months but no one wants to listen. If there was a seperate political forum, RP, posty, Flahawker, etc. could start post after post after post about the Messiah and the doomsday that is surely ahead. They can drool nall over themselves as they repeat, word for word, everything taht hannity and Limbaugh said on the radio each day.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can discuss what's important, like poop, chile, steroids, and Abba.

Hold on a second guys. I appreciate all of your feedback and thoughts about downtime, promotion, etc. but what I'm really looking for is your thoughts and opinions about moderation/rules and how it relates to posty's question.

Do you think, in the long run, more people would post here and the community would be a better place with increased moderation and/or stricter rules?

While there are certainly a few members who I'd love to see banned forever, I'm not sure thinning out an already thin group is neccessarily a good idea. If by 'moderation' you mean scanning the threads a few times a day and deleted the ones that are simply repeats of other threads (or simply merging them into one giant-thread) then, yes. It would be truly helpful.

Also, how bout displaying the geek club right under the mange bored when you're on the forums page. You have scroll down about 2 pages worth of crapass boreds to even see the geek club.

This is a tricky question. The answer is "yes" with caveats. The Geek Club has a personality all it's own, like many boards. It's irreverent, non PC, smart, funny, and some of people insulting each other within reason, all at the same time. You don't want to change that. However, I think it could be reigned in a little, especially when it gets personal. And I'll be the first to admit I've taken part in some of that. Additionally, I agree there could be some reigning in of the QUANTITY of certain types of threads. I'll agree with Newbie in that there doesn't need to be 50 different threads picking on Obama for every little thing he does wrong. He does so much wrong these could take up the entire site. Why not have just one thread "things Obama does wrong" and add to it? Certain big wrongs might justify their own thread but not every little thing. And I'm just using Obama as an example since it's the recent issue. This same concept would apply to any topic. As I said earlier the key is to get the right person to moderate this to keep the board the way it is but also properly define and enforce those limits.

Honest question Mike: Why don't you look at IP addresses like others? In short, actively work on eliminating aliases? They seem to be the majority of the problem herein. - Other boards do it, seems to work.

I'd be curious to hear your honest answer. :thumbsdown:

Been screaming this for months but no one wants to listen. If there was a seperate political forum, RP, posty, Flahawker, etc. could start post after post after post about the Messiah and the doomsday that is surely ahead. They can drool nall over themselves as they repeat, word for word, everything taht hannity and Limbaugh said on the radio each day.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can discuss what's important, like poop, chile, steroids, and Abba.

Yeah, lets divide up the few people that post here. People will be flocking back. :thumbsdown:

I do not think increased moderation would result in a better community. I think it drives people away.

Wiff hit on the most obvious, we should be marketing ourselves.

Yeah, lets divide up the few people that post here. People will be flocking back. :thumbsdown:

Well, if you don't want a seperate political forum, I like strike's suggestion- one thread called "Things Obama's Done Wrong" and let all the haters do their complaining there.

Also need to get rid of GFIAFP. Nothing is more annoying than to check in, and see nothing but threads that only he responds to.

Well, if you don't want a seperate political forum, I like strike's suggestion- one thread called "Things Obama's Done Wrong" and let all the haters do their complaining there.

I could get on board with that.

Also need to get rid of GFIAFP. Nothing is more annoying than to check in, and see nothing but threads that only he responds to.

Hmmm. For some reason, that guy doesn't bother me. You're right, he usually goes on a tangent and starts fifteen threads in one night, but he's teh only one responding and they quickly fall off the page. He isn't confrontational and doesn't insult and get personal. He's certainly not a productive member, but he's relatively harmless.

and then we would need one for Bush criers, another for abortion haters, etc. It may be easier if we just have a pc sissy thread that you and a few more can go into and not be exposed to the real world.

I'm a little confused by your response. It sounds like you're advocating more moderation and the community would benefit because of it, Yes?

Franknbeans is right. More moderation is not the answer. The fact that this place actually allows open and free discussion on a variety of topics is a definite drawing card.

Hopefully what happened last week, the pseudo jihad of the geek bored by RP et al, won't happen again. I've got no problem whatsoever with anyone expressing their opinions on any subject, but I think taking half the threads on page 1 to do so is excessive. Rather than delete threads, I would have liked to have seen the ones who adamantly objected to the display to begin their own threads, or bump other threads to displace some of the trash at the top. And that applies to the folks who complain about the lack of wit/creativity too. I just find it ironic that people will take time and effort to contribute to the problem they actually want to see alleviated.

I would rather the geeks themselves had a hand in patrolling bored content, than a select few at the top doing so.

and then we would need one for Bush criers, another for abortion haters, etc. It may be easier if we just have a pc sissy thread that you and a few more can go into and not be exposed to the real world.

Check the forum. How much Bush threads do you see? How about abortion threads? I know you're a "hater" but is it really all that exciting to check in and see that RP or posty or FLahawker started yet another thread which complains about how Obama took his wife out for Valentine's Day? I'm pretty sure there are actual political messageboards all over the internet if you're that obsessed with his every move.

NO

And for the love of God, get rid of that focking banana-emoticon. Some dooshbag keeps abusing it.

1st thing I would do as your new mod.

do away with banana emoticons

Hmmm. For some reason, that guy doesn't bother me. You're right, he usually goes on a tangent and starts fifteen threads in one night, but he's teh only one responding and they quickly fall off the page. He isn't confrontational and doesn't insult and get personal. He's certainly not a productive member, but he's relatively harmless.

Why not just ignore RP threads like you do GFIAFP threads then? They both on occaision post a bunch at one time. It's really not that hard Newbie. Your moaning and whining is reaching pitiful status. :yawn:

And for the love of God, get rid of that focking banana-emoticon. Some dooshbag keeps abusing it.

:mad:

I'll abuse my banana as much as I want...err, that didn't sound right.

:mad: :bandana: :banana:

Check the forum. How much Bush threads do you see? How about abortion threads? I know you're a "hater" but is it really all that exciting to check in and see that RP or posty or FLahawker started yet another thread which complains about how Obama took his wife out for Valentine's Day? I'm pretty sure there are actual political messageboards all over the internet if you're that obsessed with his every move.

uh, I have watched a flood of bush hating threads, as well as mccain, palin, etc for YEARS.

I don't remember seeing much crying about those threads but now all of a sudden the roles get reversed and the crying hits all time highs. I know you are unemployed and want a free ride but what comes around goes around, deal with it just as the bush supporters dealt with it. The only thing you are doing is pointing out what a buch of hypocrites you are.

1st thing I would do as your new mod.

do away with banana emoticons

I support this proposal.

:mad: :bandana: :banana:

Help me...I can't stop myself!

:mad:

Why not just ignore RP threads like you do GFIAFP threads then? They both on occaision post a bunch at one time. It's really not that hard Newbie. Your moaning and whining is reaching pitiful status. :yawn:

Because, unlike GFIAFP threads, RP's threads hang around forever because of all his cromnies bumping it with more hate every five minutes. HUGE difference.

I'm a little confused by your response. It sounds like you're advocating more moderation and the community would benefit because of it, Yes?

Mike seriously here it is. I have been here since 02 , I host my main league here etc.

What happened is simple -- there was a core group in the 02 - 05 era on this board. Then all the down time caused that core group to basically create their own board ( Sanctuary ) when they left the GC went from a funny place to go to a work to becoming a kiddie pool of sorts. Granted a few solid posters stayed but for the most part it fell off a lot. Then Latin Pimp happened an you lost 1/2 of your Main boarders to FBG's and FFLW ( your ole BFF Moose Knuckle ) - taking as long as you did to come back from that killed the main board al most totally.

In last 2 years the Geek Club has started to reesemble with a new core group and the Main board is still hurting though becasue of latin pimp.

Good news is you got the worlds greatest search engine spot -- 1. for FF message boards and 3. for FF sites. that generates a lot more members everyday.

In terms of moderation -- People come here over FBG's becasue there's little moderation why fock that up?

Newbie is 100% right though -- you need to create a political bored , maybe a pron bored.

Because, unlike GFIAFP threads, RP's threads hang around forever because of all his cromnies bumping it with more hate every five minutes. HUGE difference.

As opposed to GFIAFP bumping his own threads every five minutes? :mad:

+1

I ignore all RP threads and all GFIAFP threads. :mad:

What we should do is start banning the people that post in them, not the people that create them.

Because, unlike GFIAFP threads, RP's threads hang around forever because all the liberals as well as others like myself keep flaming with him every five minutes.

I fixed it for you. :mad:

I don't think trying to be Footballguys lite is the answer. The fact that I can call someone a doosh licker here is part of the attraction.

uh, I have watched a flood of bush hating threads, as well as mccain, palin, etc for YEARS.

I don't remember seeing much crying about those threads but now all of a sudden the roles get reversed and the crying hits all time highs. I know you are unemployed and want a free ride but what comes around goes around, deal with it just as the bush supporters dealt with it. The only thing you are doing is pointing out what a buch of hypocrites you are.

I'll Paypal you $1000 if you find that I ever started two George Bush threads in the same month. EVER. Hell, I'm not sure I ever started a single Bush thread. I',m not a 'political guy'. I'd be a hypocrit if I was a Bush-basher and now am complaining about Obama-bashers.

Also, these anti_obama threads started as soon as the repubs realized he was going to be the Democratic nominee. And they never stopped once he won the election. It's not like they gave him a chance and later-on realized he failed. It's thread after broing thread about a Presidant who's been officially labelled a fauilure before he's even served his first month.

Also, like I've said (about a thousand times), I wouldn't care if these simpletons would just keep bumping a single "Obama Sucks" thread. Hell, I'd even agree to have it stickied. But to start a new thread every time Limbaugh brings up a new point on his radio show is stupid. Someone asked why the board sucks and I'm answering. That is all.

To answer your question mike. More moderation will not get you more people here. We moderate ourselves. That is the beauty of this place.

I actually think RP may be getting the hint. I don't see a lot of his threads here today and he might be listening to the suggestion that he does not need to start a thread when there is already one on the subject.

Huh, that'd be an interesting trick. McCain didn't become the clear nom March of last year. - Hasn't even been a full year yet - and any threads stopped in November. He's pure :mad: now.

And Palin? Was about a 6-7 week wonder. Didn't show up until September and a trviia question by November.

I'll Paypal you $1000 if you find that I ever started two George Bush threads in the same month. EVER. Hell, I'm not sure I ever started a single Bush thread. I',m not a 'political guy'. I'd be a hypocrit if I was a Bush-basher and now am complaining about Obama-bashers.

Also, these anti_obama threads started as soon as the repubs realized he was going to be the Democratic nominee. And they never stopped once he won the election. It's not like they gave him a chance and later-on realized he failed. It's thread after broing thread about a Presidant who's been officially labelled a fauilure before he's even served his first month.

Also, like I've said (about a thousand times), I wouldn't care if these simpletons would just keep bumping a single "Obama Sucks" thread. Hell, I'd even agree to have it stickied. But to start a new thread every time Limbaugh brings up a new point on his radio show is stupid. Someone asked why the board sucks and I'm answering. That is all.

You just don't get it do you? :mad:

Where were you when Wiffle was in his "Sarah Palin" frenzy. When he was posting multiple upon multiple anti-Palin threads last fall? Where was all the outrage?

That is the hypocritical point that is being made. Because you supported Obama you are whining about RP. However you made not a peep when Wiffle and thxstang were bombarding the bored in a similar fashion.

Where were you when Wiffle was in his "Sarah Palin" frenzy. When he was posting multiple upon multiple anti-Palin threads last fall? Where was all the outrage?

That is the hypocritical point that is being made. Because you supported Obama you are whining about RP. However you made not a peep when Wiffle and thxstang were bombarding the bored in a similar fashion.

Because at the same time that Wiff was on his Palin frenzy, RP, posty, Falhawker and teh crew were already on their anti-Obama crusade. It was pretty much evened out. Besides, it was election time. It was only natural for their to be dozens of threads about the candidates.

You just don't get it do you? <_<

I don't support either of them and they should all die :mad:

Wrong. We already did this last week. 280 (RP, Posty, Fla) threads vs. 30 (Palin) threads. - Not even close. You can do the research yourself - (but will instead insist on the Palin threads for YEARS nonsense.) The thing is, you never whined about RP,Posty, Flahawker, but once you got a taste of payback - you guys (especially you) whined like little biitches. Funny how payback works. Palin was on the radar screen for what? 2 months then another 2-4 weeks of McCain's guys dumping on her? That's an average of what? one post every 3 days?

You lose. As always. My facts are better than your whiny unintillegent perception. - And you hate that. And insist on that which isn't true as your only defense.

And yeah, payback was a biitch for you, wasn't it. <_<

You sound exactly like a douchetarp that would support a Fairness Doctrine on the internets. The reason traffic dwindles is because of pompous do-gooders like yourself who feel the bored should conform to their individual needs. Your a whiny, entitlement driven, elitist dunderhead. People left because there are half a dozen small sub-boreds people have migrated to. Others left because they got sick of the likes of you and your kind. When we had the likes of Swerksi, Mephisto, Thread Killer, Gutterboy, etc, running around the board, treating other like scratching posts, traffic was very high. When torridjoe would start 50 threads a day bashing Bush, and the predominantly liberal bored (yes, this bored used to be Socialism Mecca) jumped into those threads, traffic was high. The difference is that this bored is now full of pussies. I swear. All you fuddy duddy fagguts have to ease up on the crying in your posts.

POW!!!

This idea of a separate bored for politics is lousy. We also do not need to limit stuff to one thread. kpbuckeye explained how that would not work. This bored is nothing like newbie and the few whiners portray it. The proof is in the pudding. They see someone post a few threads and all of a sudden no one can post because those threads are clogging up the bored. <_<

I did a little test the last little while. I didn't start hardly any Obama threads for a few weeks. In fact, I made it a point o post a wide varity of threads. So when I finally post a joke thread about Obama, newbie came in and made a joke about a song "To much time on my hands" insinuating that I post non stop about Obama. The proof is in the pudding. They just want to whine and complain for whatever reason. I don't claim to know this reason. But it obvious to me it is just a few that just will not stop this constant complaining.

It's just this mentality that our liberal friends have that it is not ok to talk about certain things to much. Who the fock are they to decide that?? Hell, they have been actively trying to bring this bored to it's knees lately with this constant b1tching and moaning. EVERY DAY the same thing with these guys. Complain complain complain. And don't forget the stupid idea of posting mile long stories and recipes. I am not so sure I would take to heart advise from someone doing that. To newbies credit, he did do something a long time ago to try and rejuvenate this great bored with the return day thing.

I think the down time flat out killed this place. Many looked for new places to post and found one they liked and just stayed. I believe that is the most important thing you can do. Make sure this down time does not happen anymore. You seem to have made some nice strides in this direction. And traffic is definitley up some, although not to the levels it once was.

There are some decent ideas of how to try and increase traffic. I have a question though. I was under the impression that it wasn't accepted to actively try and recruit folks from other boreds. Don't remember why, I just was. So is it ok for me to promote this great bored wherever I go on the Internet??? Like youtube or other boreds for example??? Or is that frowned upon??? This could really help me and possible others out.

Wrong. We already did this last week. 280 (RP, Posty, Fla) threads vs. 30 (Palin) threads. - Not even close. You can do the research yourself - (but will instead insist on the Palin threads for YEARS nonsense.) The thing is, you never whined about RP,Posty, Flahawker, but once you got a taste of payback - you guys (especially you) whined like little biitches. Funny how payback works. Palin was on the radar screen for what? 2 months then another 2-4 weeks of McCain's guys dumping on her? That's an average of what? one post every 3 days?

You lose. As always. My facts are better than your whiny unintillegent perception. - And you hate that. And insist on that which isn't true as your only defense.

And yeah, payback was a biitch for you, wasn't it. <_<

:yawn:

What am I whining about? :mad: Better yet, what are you even talking about? Are you on medication or something. I was merely pointing out to Newbie that if he doesn't like RP posts to ignore them, and if it is all about "hatred political" posts then why wasn't he complaining when you had your little two month Palin frenzy? I'm not whining about either the liberal nor the repub threads.

Try and keep up. Also, why did you run and hide in your corporate tax thread. :huh: