Sign in to follow this  
goat

who is the nicest athlete you have met in person

livin in the cleveland area ive met alot of cavs and browns players.

met cribbs at Dicks one day. he was with his daughter. i watched this man sign autographs even while with his daughter. i simply walked up told him i didnt wanna take up to much of his time since he was with his daughter but that i apreciated the way he played the game and shook his hand. he said he didnt mind that it came with the territory and thanked me. class act all the way.

biggest jerk....by far sasha pavlovic. before he left cleveland area saw him at the mall. he wasnt doing anything special wasnt with anyone special. a father and son went up to him and tried to talk to him. he was rude and was ignoring the dad. the father was just tryin to say thanks and could his son meet him. sasha totally blew him off and walked away without another word leaving the kid standing there very awkward.

neither one of these guys are big stars. cribbs is definitly loved in cleveland as the only talent on the browns. its obvious that class cant be taught to guys like sasha who should be happy to be in league.

anyone else care to share?

ive met alot of fairly nice golfers.

Mickelson is great with his fans. Stuart Appleby was real nice too, I stopped him as he was walking into the clubhouse with no one else around. Alot of guys might have brushed me off.

Met Jim Harbaugh when I was younger, he was nice. Adrian Murrell also when he was with the Jets. Marshall Faulk was a bit of a jerk.

When I was in junior high and high school I used to hang around the Metrodome and get autographs from time to time. One time when the Royals were in town, Bo Jackson and Kirby came walking in together. Kirby stopped to sign stuff from some other people who were hanging around. I was completely by myself, not other person anyone around me, with a baseball in hand and asked Mr. Jackson very politely if he would sign my ball. His response to me word for word was "You better look out kid" and angrily blew by right next to me and went inside. I couldnt believe that Bo Jackson actually threatened me for asking for an autograph.

Of the many players ive met, Brent Jones is by far the nicest guy.

Avery Johnson :music_guitarred:

Bart Starr and his wife are special people - so gratious.. In fact, all the old Packers that I ever met were pretty cool. I really enjoyed meeting Paul Hornung and Max McGee a couple of times - they were the "party on, dudes" of my day.

I've never met any pro athlete that personallly treated me crappy. Probably the only guy I wasn't impressed with was Tony Mandarich, but he never was totally rude, just kind of ignored the fans.

TO is one the best tippers ever.....and really friggin nice....who would have known

the williams sisters...rude, bossy, dont even have a smile for you and 10% tippers.....booo

bonus...im from LA and i am no way ever star struck.....but when Mike Singletary sat down in my section....i could have fainted...lol

oh yea .....Elden friggin Cambell.....laker from the 80's...not even good...and wouldnt even give me (12 at the time) the time of day...douche

serena IS trash....

as for tennis...

caroline wozniacki is tops ..saw her a few times this past year...would ask how YOU were doing..the next IT girl in tennis....

so i haven't met too many athletes...

but of the nicest were rondell white when he was with the cubs... and andre dawson

dawson was shagging fly balls in the outfield during a regular season game circa 1992 i'm guessing (i was 7 and he was my favorite player) after he was done he started signing a few autographs, and he was one away from me when he had to go take batting practice... my dad said something like "can you sign just one more andre?"

Andre "sorry... i gotta go take BP"

Me "mr dawson your my favorite player"

but he had to leave and i was upset... after BP he came back with a baseball and autographed it for me and gave me a high five... i ate that sh1t up

Brooks Robinson and John Unitas were both very nice individuals to speak to.

:doh:

Pete Samprass was the nicest, Peyton Manning second.

VJ Singh is the biggest douche bag jerk in the world. Don't say hello to him in a public place with the cameras off or he'll cuss you out.

VJ Singh is the biggest douche bag jerk in the world. Don't say hello to him in a public place with the cameras off or he'll cuss you out.

Funny, I had heard this about VJ however, when my daughter and I got the chance to see him during a practice round, he stopped, signed her autograph program, and posed for a picture with her, chatting with me all the while. He was great, not sure where the bad rap comes from, but I think golfers have a different outlook at various times of a tournament.

Also, Greg Norman was a total a-hole. He called some small kids(8-9 y.o.) rude for not calling him Mr. Norman and stormed away in his SUV. Couldn't quite firgure that one out....just a jerk I guess.

Phil is just great with all everyone.

met Bam Bam Bigelo at a rest stop in Jersey, he was a cool dude... Met Kerry Collins at the Jersey shore when he was with the Panthers and he was a total a-hole. I used to work for the NY Islanders in college and can't say I had any bad encounters with any hockey greats: Gretsky, Lemiux, Jagr, Messier, Brodour, etc

I met coach Greg Schiano (Rutgers) once and he may be the biggest dirt bag egotstic person I ever met - win a Big East title dude! it's been 9 years already lol

Also, Greg Norman was a total a-hole. He called some small kids(8-9 y.o.) rude for not calling him Mr. Norman and stormed away in his SUV. Couldn't quite firgure that one out....just a jerk I guess.

You saw this with your own eyes? Total opposite than what I have heard about people that have been around him.

Nolan Ryan is the nicest, I know him, so that makes a difference but I have been around him in public and know how he is there.

Tony Casillas, Pete Incavaglia, 2 a-holes.

:music_guitarred:

I'm from the STL and back in the day the Bucs were in town to play the Rams. I was a huge Sapp fan. I came into work one night and my friend told me that Warren was playing blackjack in pit 1. I went over there and asked the pit boss if I could shake his hand. He told me that we are not suppose to do anything like that. Then he told me I was on my own if Sapp raised a beef about it. So I waited to the end of the shoe. Walked over and said 'Mr. Sapp my name is ------and I am probably the only one in Saint Louis who is pulling for you guys tomorrow. Could I get a quick hand shake.' "Warren said no I've lost too much $ over the last couple of days" I told him I understood and wished him good luck. I turned around and walked about a step and a half. Warren said get back here. Get a hand shake. He told me if I would have acted like a ###### when he said no he would of complained to my boss, but since I told him I understood he would shook my hand. Kind of weird. Shaun King, and Derrick Brooks were there also there. Really popular people like Bonds I do understand. People get on my nerves and I'm not even famous. If people were coming up to me all day, I could not say I would not be salty sometimes. I think however if they are at a baseball or football function time to suck it up and be pleasant.

Cal Ripken - Nicest

Brady Anderson - biggest jerk

I worked in a hotel in college and saw a lot of them.

The biggest ass in the world, hands down: Roger Clemens (snapping his fingers, bossing everyone around...di$%tree big time)

Coolest would be: Bert Jones (just a cool down to earth guy).

The nicest guys I met were all Bruins. Bobby Orr is the nicest guy ever. Met Ray Bourque several times and he was always a good guy. Had beers with Cam Neely and Lyndon Byers once.

I have not really had too many bad experiences. The only time that was not great was Willie McGinnest and Rodney Harrison coming out during training camp. Belichick does not allow the players to sign during practice, but Harrison and McGinnest would not even give people the time of day. Troy Brown was coming out at the same time and he talked to people (but would not sign anything). Not a big deal, but I figured I had to put something negative out there. :music_guitarred:

Tony Delk.

I went to school at UK with him and he was a project partner in a philosophy class. Just an absolute great guy - He was the king of Lexington his last 2 years at UK and he maintained a humble attitude.

Biggest ass

Travis Ford -- little focker was the cockiest bastard I met at UK as far as the players go.

Biggest pyscho

Walter McCarty -- Saw him slap the sheet out of some woman in front of Wildcat lodge 1 night.

nicest AND classiest was Archie Manning! hands down... John Daly and Jack Nicklaus were great too. Lee trevino (super mex) was a snobbish bore. Funny while in front of the cameras, but no so when he is not "acting!"

Nicest and just overall classy was Priest Holmes,even took the time to let friends take a pic of he and I.

Biggest asshat ever Tony Gonzalez,dude can kiss my ass and I hope he never gets a ring and no I'm not a disgruntled Chiefs fan,I met him at the Pro Football Hall Of Fame ceremonies and he acted as though I wasn't even talking to him.I stuck with it though and after letting him know I thought he was being a jerk and I was not seeking an autograph to sell and how much money I had invested in the Chiefs over the years he finally signed a KC cap I had and walked off without saying a word.

When I was a freshman at IU, I was wasted and my buddies were helping me walk home from a party. I bumped into a really tall black dude and nearly puked on him but missed - Dean Garret. He was nice and didn't beat the crap out of me. :music_guitarred:

Priest Holmes is an outstanding guy. Shaq is also very nice. I met him in high school, have run into him a couple of times since then. Back Antione Carr (NBA) was a really nice guy, funny as hell. Brian Bozworth was a POS.

Biggest A-Hole is Al Kaline. Three distinct stories (one my own encounter, two friends stories). Saw Kaline on an elevator at a Wings game once, here is the conversation verbatim:

Me: "Hello, Mister Kaline..." <gets cut off mid-sentence>

Him: "every GD place i go...Jesus Christ"

Buddy of mine works at a local country club and has the misfortune of seeing Kaline in action numerous times, first time he actually said hello to kaline he threw a fit and literally tossed a golf club to the ground in disgust.

Another friends wife works for the Tigers and there is a rule in the offices (she showed the memo she received on it) NO ONE talks to Mr. Kaline UNLESS he talks to you first. DON'T say hello, attempt to engage in small-talk, etc.

Coolest athletes. Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton, Chuck Long (talked with him for about an hour in the airport just after the Lions drafted him), and pretty much any hockey players...Kris Draper stands out....wife and i ran into him waiting to be seated at a local restaurant...i was on the phone "Encouraging" my older son to help my younger son with some homework, my wife was saying hi, finally draper asks me whats going on...he takes the phone from me at jokingly yells at my son to help his little brother with his home work. Son had no idea it was Kris Draper "yelling" at him on the phone.

I did 16 years in the service industry. So I met quite a few athletes and stars. Coolest by far was Ali. He joked and had a great time messing with everyone. Just as colorful as you would remember from back in the day. Even with the parkinson's.

While no one was overtly rude or demanding, they just didn't want to be bothered.

Which, if I had people buggin me all the damn time, I'd probably end up being an ass-hat.

Which, if I had people buggin me all the damn time, I'd probably end up being an ass-hat.

I agree with this and as an avid sports fan I collect autographs and the like(only if I'm the one getting them) and I have one rule.If I see a pro athlete at a team or sporting function,game,HOF and the like I will approach them,if they are on what I call their time,dinner,bar,theatre,etc. I will not approach them.

One guy I was surprised at being something of an ass was Alajuwon. One guy I had heard was an ass was Vince Carter, but he was actually pretty cool.

One guy I was surprised at being something of an ass was Alajuwon. One guy I had heard was an ass was Vince Carter, but he was actually pretty cool.

I had a similar experience where the perception did not meet my reality. I was like 15 years old and went to an exhibition game where the Pirates where playing their own Double A team. Well, I walk up to Barry Bonds. He shook my hand, took a picture, and signed a baseball for me. Was very nice. Andy Van Slyke? Total a-hole.

I agree with this and as an avid sports fan I collect autographs and the like(only if I'm the one getting them) and I have one rule.If I see a pro athlete at a team or sporting function,game,HOF and the like I will approach them,if they are on what I call their time,dinner,bar,theatre,etc. I will not approach them.

I had one chance to get the autograph of a childhood hero, Franco Harris, at a restaurant here one day, many years ago. But I didn't for that same reason. He was on what you could tell was a business meeting and despite the fact that Pittsburgh Steelers don't wander through South Texas very often, I still didn't feel right interrupting his time. I sort of regret not doing it, but feel better about standing up for what I believe is the right way to do things.

I didn't meet him, but wife did.

Jeff Saturday - She was so impressed with how he treated the kids at the event and how he was overall to people. She talked to him and told him how she was impressed.

Jerk: Bears WR Wendell Davis (~1992)

after playing in a charity volleyball event at my high school, he tries to leave asap out a back way of the school but I see him coming at me and tell him I like watching him play and try to shake his hand...guy pretends as if i didn't exist and walks right past me with my hand extended making me feel pretty stupid...

ironically, later that year, I'm watching the bears playing the eagles at old Veterans Stadium, which had the worst AstroTurf of any stadium and known for causing injuries. Low and behold, mr Davis blows out both of his knees simultaneously running a simple post pattern and never again plays football...i never wished injury to any player but can't say I felt sorry for the guy when i saw the play...

Jerk: Bears WR Wendell Davis (~1992)

after playing in a charity volleyball event at my high school, he tries to leave asap out a back way of the school but I see him coming at me and tell him I like watching him play and try to shake his hand...guy pretends as if i didn't exist and walks right past me with my hand extended making me feel pretty stupid...

ironically, later that year, I'm watching the bears playing the eagles at old Veterans Stadium, which had the worst AstroTurf of any stadium and known for causing injuries. Low and behold, mr Davis blows out both of his knees simultaneously running a simple post pattern and never again plays football...i never wished injury to any player but can't say I felt sorry for the guy when i saw the play...

I've had the chance to meet a few, and only had 1 that was a jerk. I met LeBron when he was like 10, so he doesn't count - LOL! His mom Gloria used to work with me in Akron back in the day. I've met:

Eddie George (at an OSU game) - he was really cool & seemed very humble

Bart Starr (at a High School football game) - very nice & seemed like a normal guy - kinda quiet

Omar Vizquel - (SS for Clev. Indians) - funny guy, couldnt believe how little he was!

Joey Belle (AKA Albert Belle) - he used to go by "Joey" when he played for the Akron/Canton Indians & was actually ok then & signed a baseball without any problems

Denny Green - Coach, Minn. Vikes at the time. Ran into him at the Minn/St.Paul airport - a little stand-offish, but overall, ok

Dave Dickenson - mostly a Canadian pro football player (had a small run in the NFL). Nice guy, I met him when I lived in Great Falls, Mt. (his hometown), which brings me to my douche bag award.........

Ryan Leaf - complete ######. i cant even say I met the guy, cause he was acting like a complete douche the moment he walked through the door of the bar that I didn't bother saying anything. He's from Great Falls, Mt. too. Just had this "high & mighty" attitude about him that it made me wanna puke. I heard stories of how mean/rude he was (from residents) so I didn't approach him.

Favorite Non-athlete: Jonathan Winters - old school comic (google - I'm sure many of you will remember his face at least) - I ran into him at a sports card shop in Santa Barbara, CA. back in spring of 99. He was looking at Yankee stuff & I went up to him & we talked baseball for about 10 minutes or so. Very cool guy & really knows his baseball. Very cool dude.

Avery Johnson :)

really? I was at a pistons game when Avery was near the end of his career on SA. We had good seats, prob 10 rows behind the SA bench. My friend yelled towards Avery who at this point, was merely a bench warmer, "Avery! Hows David Robinson?" Avery looked back, gave a big laugh, and a thumbs up sign.

One of my golfing buddies was at a golf tourny 10 or so years ago and Davis Love was coming off of the 72nd hole after a bogey.... Some kid (probably 10 years old) asked him for his autograph and Mr. Love said. "F%$k off kid" Tony Hawk was a cool guy.

Walt Weiss and Patrick Roy both were great.

Weiss was in line behind my brother and I at a Gart Sports one day. He was buying the biggest dumbbells I have ever seen (at least that's how I remember it... I was 16 at the time and that was a while ago). He was the favorite player of my mother who was pretty sick and going through chemo treatments at the time and he wrote her a little get well note and signed it. She framed it and still has it hanging on her wall to this day.

Roy's son played hockey in a league with my cousin. There was a common area between two rinks at the arena where they all played and he would sign autographs for anyone that wanted one before and after the games. I remember one night after the Avalanche beat the Redwings in a playoff game he came to watch his son play. It was kind of a surreal experience seeing him on TV 3 hours prior and then chatting with him while we were waiting for the kids to come out of the locker room.

My other cousin did some contract work on Valerie Kaminskies (sp?) house when he lived here. He said the guy "drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and cussed like a sailor."

When I was real young my grandparents owned a restaurant where Dan Reeves would host a dinner the night after a charity golf tournament he had every year. I have lots of autographed pictures but I don't remember meeting anyone other than Steve Atwater who told me to keep up the good work when I told him I played safety for my peewee team.

I've never had a bad experience with any famous athlete.

i think part of the perceptions are that athletes have good and bad days like any of us only bad days are compounded with all the scrutiny they are under. So if you catch a guy on a bad day, he gets the image of being a jerk but may usually be pretty nice.

I had heard the same thing about Carter but once he came to NJ (i never met him) but got to see him play and conduct interviews and such, he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

One of my golfing buddies was at a golf tourny 10 or so years ago and Davis Love was coming off of the 72nd hole after a bogey.... Some kid (probably 10 years old) asked him for his autograph and Mr. Love said. "F%$k off kid" Tony Hawk was a cool guy.

I can second Davis Love. At the 2005 PGA, he ducked autograph seeking fans during every practice round. Most players either stopped to sign tons or at least signed a few as they rushed back to the clubhouse from the practice range.

Each day Love would take a side entrance to the range, hit balls with Justin Leonard, and they would both sneak back into the clubhouse without passing the fans.

Not quite as bad as telling a kid to ###### off, but still... a professional golfer making tons of money should be able to spare some time to give back to the people helping write his paychecks.