Sign in to follow this  
Turducken

Ndamukong Suh's Roughness Penalty

That was the biggest joke of a penalty I have ever seen. Completely unacceptable call.

I don't know, I thought he threw a punch to the back of Cutler's head, looked pretty obvious and a defintely a penalty IMO, especially with what's been going on lately with blows to the head. Not sure which angle you saw or how you viewed it.

I don't know, I thought he threw a punch to the back of Cutler's head, looked pretty obvious and a defintely a penalty IMO, especially with what's been going on lately with blows to the head. Not sure which angle you saw or how you viewed it.

Slow motion replay showed Suh only shoved Cutler with both hands to the top of Cutler's back/shoulder area.

I must not have caught that view from the blimp. :dunno:

Looking at the slow mo, Cutler's head goes straigt down after the blow, looked to be to the head/neck area to me. It was a cheap shot regardless, that clown is already known for it. How about trying to tackle Cutler?

Looking at the slow mo, Cutler's head goes straigt down after the blow, looked to be to the head/neck area to me. It was a cheap shot regardless, that clown is already known for it. How about trying to tackle Cutler?

.....That was a tackle. In fact, I'd say that's less of a tackle than if he had grabbed him by the waist, pulled him to the ground and landed on top of him.

Just because Cutler has a noodle-neck doesn't mean anytime someone touches him it should be a penalty.

If that's unnecessary roughness, then there would be 20 flags a game for people tackling too hard. Give me a break.

Some refs really need to get a grip. The hit on Cutler looked perfectly legal, 15 yard penalty. Hit on Heath Miller, concussion and no penalty. Unacceptable.

Some refs really need to get a grip. The hit on Cutler looked perfectly legal, 15 yard penalty. Hit on Heath Miller, concussion and no penalty. Unacceptable.

Not to mention there was a helmet to helmet hit on sproles today that knocked him out of the game which went uncalled.

I have a great idea! Let's just put some belts on the players with velcro on them. Then make a nice skirt of little rainbow colored pieces of cloth to the velcro belt. Instead of actually touching the other player, you must try to remove a flag as gently as possible without touching the other player. If you touch the other player, it's an automatic touchdown!

The NFL is turning into powder puff football. Thanks commish.

As for Mr. House of Spears' supposed forearm to the back of Jay Cutler's head, that was a ridiculous penalty. Just because a full grown man shoves a prima donna QB to the ground, it's not an automatic penalty. I guarantee that call doesn't get made if the hit is on a "lesser" QB.

I have a great idea! Let's just put some belts on the players with velcro on them. Then make a nice skirt of little rainbow colored pieces of cloth to the velcro belt. Instead of actually touching the other player, you must try to remove a flag as gently as possible without touching the other player. If you touch the other player, it's an automatic touchdown!

As for Mr. House of Spears' supposed forearm to the back of Jay Cutler's head, that was a ridiculous penalty. Just because a full grown man shoves a prima donna QB to the ground, it's not an automatic penalty. I guarantee that call doesn't get made if the hit is on a "lesser" QB.

Yeah, a forarem to the back of the head isn't a cheap shot? That would get called regardless of who the QB was. Imagine if it was either Manning brother, this certainly would have been called! The fact you called Cutler a prima donna (and Eli "I don't want to go to SD" isn't??), shows your bias opinion.

Besides, where have you been? This whole "put the skirts on QB" has been going on for years!!! :( Get used to it...

Yeah, a forarem to the back of the head isn't a cheap shot? That would get called regardless of who the QB was. Imagine if it was either Manning brother, this certainly would have been called! The fact you called Cutler a prima donna (and Eli "I don't want to go to SD" isn't??), shows your bias opinion.

Besides, where have you been? This whole "put the skirts on QB" has been going on for years!!! :( Get used to it...

The people saying it was a "cheap shot", "forearm to the back of the head", and "an obvious penalty" are either stupid or haven't' even watched the play. Cutler was a runner at that point, he was pushed VERY hard by Suh in the shoulder pads, not the head. Should not have been a penalty.

The people saying it was a "cheap shot", "forearm to the back of the head", and "an obvious penalty" are either stupid or haven't' even watched the play. Cutler was a runner at that point, he was pushed VERY hard by Suh in the shoulder pads, not the head. Should not have been a penalty.

This. Suh appears to have been flagged on reputation.

if that tackle would have been on a running back or receiver it would be on sportscenter top ten highlights. I think some of the protect the QB rules are ridiculous. If you go up to block the pass and inadvertently come down and TAP the QB on the helmet, it's 15 yards. It's as if they didn't have helmets like everyone else.

Bad call - yes. But in real time it looked like a foul until you saw the replay. The refs did not have this benefit.

That said, it had little to no impact on the game. The Bears were 2nd and 1 from the 14 without the penalty. Detroit had more opportunities to score and did not. The loss was a clean loss.

:thumbsup:

It's hard to tell exactly where Suh's arm contacts Cutler (top of back, or back of neck?), but by cocking his arm and thrusting it like that, Suh sure made it look like a penalty. It was completely unnecessary for him to do that. What an idiot.

I've seen plenty of worse calls than this one, that's for sure....

It was clean. There is no doubt about it. Bad call.

Suh should have just tackled him. I don't know why he chose to push him down. Maybe he pushed him because he was afraid of getting a roughing hit because he knew it was a QB. If he'd tackled Cutler and driven him to the ground with his weight landing on top of Jay, it could have ended in injury. He actually held up on that play.....only to get 15 yards.

You're pointing out someone else being bias when you just finished stating is was a cheap shot by that clown (Suh)? :overhead:

I think you're just trying to argue for the sake of being dooshy. There's no forearm to the back of the head. It was a blown call.

Bad call - yes. But in real time it looked like a foul until you saw the replay. The refs did not have this benefit.

That said, it had little to no impact on the game. The Bears were 2nd and 1 from the 14 without the penalty. Detroit had more opportunities to score and did not. The loss was a clean loss.

for once i agree with walter :shocking:

btw: when's the draft? :pointstosky: :cry:

It was a cheap shot. If he would have just shoved Cutler to the ground...fine. But he threw his elbow into Cuntler's back. Totally unneccessary. And the irony is....he could have inflicted a lot more damage by just tackling Cuntler. Suh is a beast.

And while I agree that some of the calls...especially trying to protect QBs....are ridiculous, I find myself cringing more and more when I watch football. Not that I really care about Heath Miller, but that hit got to me. Same with the Ellis Hobbes hit a few weeks ago. It's getting to the point where I might see some dude die on the field. It's upsetting.

It's hard to tell exactly where Suh's arm contacts Cutler (top of back, or back of neck?), but by cocking his arm and thrusting it like that, Suh sure made it look like a penalty. It was completely unnecessary for him to do that. What an idiot.

I've seen plenty of worse calls than this one, that's for sure....

This. Why even thow the elbow like you're trying to kill him? This guy is gonna have to realize real quick that he's making his NFL life more complicated than it needs to be. I'm having trouble remembering a player that garnered this much attention for being a 'meanie' during his rookie year. And it's not like the guy needs the cheap stuff, he's a bad ass.

I don't really know (or care) if it was a cheapshot or not, but it was a pretty bad defensive play; you got a qb running in the open field and you come up in his blind-spot on the side he's carrying the ball, you should definitely be trying to chop/strip the ball. See: Polamalu, Troy.

I don't really know (or care) if it was a cheapshot or not, but it was a pretty bad defensive play; you got a qb running in the open field and you come up in his blind-spot on the side he's carrying the ball, you should definitely be trying to chop/strip the ball. See: Polamalu, Troy.

I think he should have given Cutler his most explosive hit possible. As a DL you can only dream about such setups. Cutler, stupidly taking chances running in the open field, cutting slightly toward where Suh was coming from, and yet did not see him. Suh should have exploded into Cutler and driven him into the turf. Cutler almost assuredly would have been hurt.

"The Lions can't catch a break, blah blah blah"

The play is right in this thread, it was a CLEAR forearm to the neck/head area, and the people whining are the Lions fans that think Suh keeps getting screwed.

He's a VVG player, will probably dominate for years, but he seems to consistently draw attention to himself for his choir boy act......

Get Real, that was a cheap shot, and it's becoming the norm for Mr. Suh

I have no problem with the call, when I initially saw it I thought it was a punch.

Thats what the refs saw, only when you slow it down you see it was just a push, the refs dont have that advantage to review penalties in slow motion.

Im unbiased in this discussion

Football is no longer a man's game. ESPN, and this information-age, Twitter-happy society has transformed our beloved sport into the same ol soap opera crap thats on every other channel. The league is much more preoccupied with getting their frutier players "Dancing With the Stars" then they are putting a decent product on the field. After the impending work stoppage wrecks the league's profits Goodell will rightfully be regarded as the worst commissioner ever.

Suh is a great player playing in the wrong era.

I see both sides of this issue. Firstly, I have no real problem with the call.....the hit by Suh was questionable, but I would have not been upset to see a no-call either. Yes, the NFL is getting softer as it relates to protecting players. This is unquestionable. However, there is good reason. As the decades roll by, NFL players are quickly becoming muscle-bound killing machines. Yes, Butkus, Tatum, and Lambert were some bad/mean mothas......but they simply were not the physical specimens with the top-end power that we see today in players like Suh. Some protection is essential. Heath Miller is lucky to have survived that hit last night, much less walked off the field. Finding that line between player protection and wussified football will be difficult......but it must be found.

I think it looked worse than it was. I can see them getting flagged for that with the way the NFL treats QB's.

Look at the positives here. You have a 300+lb beast of a DT all over the field making plays. For once, a high pick appears to have been a complete homerun. The Lions weren't gonna win any games this year, everyone knew that. Based on the obvious improvement though, they have to win 8 games next year or Schwartz is gone. They can't get outplayed in the 2nd half of games for another complete season.

The refs are watching Suh, that is what happens when you become a cheapshot artist, ask James Harrison.

Good call :thumbsup:

The ref who threw the flag, Ed Hocules, called it an "un-necessary non-football act"! Never heard it called that before, but makes sense in this day and age of the NFL.

The ref who threw the flag, Ed Hocules, called it an "un-necessary non-football act"! Never heard it called that before, but makes sense in this day and age of the NFL.

The Carolina Panthers have been doing that all season :unsure:

Now the league fines him 15k for his 2 hand touch play... even after being able to see on film it wasn't a penalty (although in real time it had the look)... the bafoons running the NFL decide to not only agree with the call but fine him as well. I have been hit worse playing 2 hand touch with my 6 year old!!!!! :thumbsdown: