Sign in to follow this  
GettnHuge

Rep. Giffords of Arizona shot, Federal Judge Roll dead

http://www.npr.org/2...shot-in-arizona

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head while holding a public event in Tucson, Fox News and National Public Radio reported on Saturday.

Fox said 11 other people were shot when an unidentified gunman ran up and began shooting indiscriminately as Giffords addressed supporters.

Giffords was shot point blank in the head, Fox said.

The network said the gunman was in custody.

Bummer. I really like it when elected representatives have public events where voters can, you know, actually talk to them. But sh!t like this makes these kind of events much less likely to occur. I'm interested to hear what story comes out on this. My first thought was "drug cartels", but after reading what little details are available, it sounds like maybe just some deranged maniac. Maybe some right-wing loon pissed off over the health care bill. :dunno:

Maybe some right-wing loon pissed off over the health care bill. :dunno:

Link describes the gunman as late teens/early 20s. Seems kind of young for the stereotypical right wing loon. :dunno:

Guess we're just going to have to wait for more info to come out.

Link describes the gunman as late teens/early 20s. Seems kind of young for the stereotypical right wing loon. :dunno:

where does BLS live?

Hmm... Machete just came out on DVD a few days ago. Bad time to be a politician in Arizona?

Bummer. I really like it when elected representatives have public events where voters can, you know, actually talk to them. But sh!t like this makes these kind of events much less likely to occur. I'm interested to hear what story comes out on this. My first thought was "drug cartels", but after reading what little details are available, it sounds like maybe just some deranged maniac. Maybe some right-wing loon pissed off over the health care bill. :dunno:

The news said that she had a couple of threats against her regarding the health care bill and there were shots fired outside of her office previously. Why the hell didn't this woman have security?

The news said that she had a couple of threats against her regarding the health care bill and there were shots fired outside of her office previously. Why the hell didn't this woman have security?

I sure hope it isn't related to the health care bill, those ultra right wingers are focking nuts

From NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

The shooting occurred at a Safeway supermarket in northwest Tucson as Ms. Giffords hosted an event, called “Congress on Your Corner, to allow members of the 8th Congressional District to meet her individually. She has held several events since first taking office in January 2007. At one such event in 2009, a protester was removed by police when his pistol fell on the supermarket floor.

Last March, her Tucson office was vandalized a few hours after the House vote overhauling the nation’s health care system, the authorities said.

Now obviously we don't know yet if this is the same kind of thing, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were.

I sure hope it isn't related to the health care bill, those ultra right wingers are focking nuts

There are nut jobs on both sides for sure, I just hope that didn't have anything to do with it.

FYI..... She's still alive but in critical condition. She was shot in the head with a semi-automatic weapon, so it doesn't sound good.

5-6 other people were killed.

FYI..... She's still alive but in critical condition. She was shot in the head with a semi-automatic weapon, so it doesn't sound good.

I thought CNN and NPR were saying the Sheriff's office confirmed she was a goner??? Maybe that was just a very educated guess though, given that she was shot point-blank in the head...

Try again, kiddo. She's ded :(

http://www.foxnews.com/

I thought CNN and NPR were saying the Sheriff's office confirmed she was a goner??? Maybe that was just a very educated guess though, given that she was shot point-blank in the head...
I have MSNBC on and they just had someone from the hospital on the phone and they said she was still alive.

ETA: She's in surgery. NPR was the one reporting that she was dead, but they are getting contradictory reports. The hospital is reporting she is still alive.

I have MSNBC on and they just had someone from the hospital on the phone and they said she was still alive.

they still think that the Dems have the majority of the house. Not a very reliable source.

Wow, that is going to cause quite a controversy. Palin will be gone for good if that picks up steam.

One could only hope.

they still think that the Dems have the majority of the house. Not a very reliable source.

Retard. It's the only news station I get on my crappy cable.

OK now they are saying that she has died. :(

Wow, that is going to cause quite a controversy. Palin will be gone for good if that picks up steam.

Conservatives can only hope this is her death blow.

that would be awesome

If this shooting was politically motivated, there will be A LOT of fallout from it. The Republicans have spent the last two years whipping their half-crazy base into a murderous frenzy. Would it be any surprise that this was a result of that?

If this shooting was politically motivated, there will be A LOT of fallout from it. The Republicans have spent the last two years whipping their half-crazy base into a murderous frenzy. Would it be any surprise that this was a result of that?

Agreed 1000%. Honestly though... how could this NOT be politically motivated. Highly doubt it was a jealous ex or something. :dunno:People need to start getting a little perspective.

Way to jump to conclusions with no facts. Good work :thumbsdown:

good point, they should make republicans illegal

Way to jump to conclusions with no facts. Good work :thumbsdown:

Hmmmmm...... let's see.... a politician was shot at a political event. Yea, she probably cut him off on the freeway or something and he was pissed. :rolleyes: Oh and he decided to kill a bunch of her staff too for shiits and grins.

Even the Republican rep from AZ was assuming it was politically motivated and said he was mortified, asshat.

It makes me sad that we're at a place now where minor differences in policy opinions are regarded as serious threats to the nation. I pray that this was not politically motivated because our discourse is toxic enough without death threats and violence. I'd like to think this sort of thing would encourage pundits to tone down the rhetoric but I know better. It's sad all around and seriously, I hope it turns out that the shooter was just a maniac and not motivated by politics. I wouldn't want to see this kind of thing happen to anyone from either side of the aisle regardless of his or her beliefs. Reports are conflicting - here's hoping Rep. Giffords hangs tough and makes it through this alive.

good point, they should make republicans illegal

That's not what I meant. I meant that there are repercussions when you do things like put gun targets on your political opponents. Most Republicans didn't do things like that, but those that did probably have a LOT of answering to do after this episode.

MSNBC is still reporting that she may be alive. At the same time at least 4 other people are dead so that doesn't negate this tragedy.

There are also rumors a federal judge may have been there and may have been one of the victims, so that could certainly have something to do with it.

That's not what I meant. I meant that there are repercussions when you do things like put gun targets on your political opponents. Most Republicans didn't do things like that, but those that did probably have a LOT of answering to do after this episode.

no kidding. You're a lawyer, what would happen if I had a website and I put a gun target on Joe Blow and he got shot, I'm sure the men in the blue uniforms would be paying me a nice visit.

Politicians though, who knows

MSNBC is still reporting that she may be alive. At the same time at least 4 other people are dead so that doesn't negate this tragedy.

There are also rumors a federal judge may have been there and may have been one of the victims, so that could certainly have something to do with it.

The judge was killed according to 4 confirmed sources from MSNBC.

FoxNews reported that at least one of the dead (and the number was up to 6 at one point) is a child.

Suspect had a Glock 9mm. At least 3 people at the rally had guns and at least one of them returned fire on the gunman.

At least 3 people at the rally had guns and at least one of them returned fire on the gunman.

Jeez! Sounds like the Wild West or something.