Sign in to follow this  
svtballa

Tony Romo per Rotoworld

Tony Romo has reportedly been "on fire" over the last five days at Cowboys training camp.

Romo said earlier in camp that he's "throwing the ball as well as he ever had in his career," and he's tearing it up in scrimmages and practices. With two No. 1-caliber wide receivers and the best all-around tight end in football as his weapons, Romo is setup for a huge year. Before his injury-ruined 2010 campaign, Romo had three straight seasons of top-nine fantasy QB stats.

looks good to me if everyone stays healthy..At his adp I feel he could produce top 5 #s

Romos 2010 games log before injury.

Wash 282 1-0

Chi 374 1-2

Houston 284 2-0

Tenn 406 3-3

Min 220 3-2

Now Dez has a year experience and the OC is head coach.

holy crap--saw "romo" and "rotoworld" and instantly thought this was an injury report.

big sigh of relief.

a veteran QB of several years looks real good in camp?

im as high on Romo this year as the next guy but why is this news?

in other news, Phil Rivers looks great in camp thus far.

Most QBs look good throwing against the Cowboys defense.

I can see how someone would say that this isn't news.

However, a few years ago there was a report out that A. Rodgers looked very sharp in camp, I drafted him and won my league. So who knows?

Turned on the NFL Networks Fantasy preview for few minutes last night. They were each picking their sleeper or breakout QBs. A couple picked Romo. I quickly turned the channel. How do some of these clowns get a job like that and get put on TV :dunno:

H3ll, his old girlfriend completed more passes to Cowboy recivers than he did. :banana:

My one concern for Romo is his Oline. It was not good last year and they are replacing more positions this year. I think Romo's risk

of injury has to be taken into account when you take him.

The good news is with the Cowboys defense giving up a lot of points, Romo should benefit from being in a lot of shootouts.

My one concern for Romo is his Oline. It was not good last year and they are replacing more positions this year. I think Romo's risk

of injury has to be taken into account when you take him.

The good news is with the Cowboys defense giving up a lot of points, Romo should benefit from being in a lot of shootouts.

Romo broke his non-throwing shoulder last year. That is not an injury that would lead me to call Romo an injury risk. His line is no worse than Vicks and he's no more an injury risk than Vick, Rodgers, and maybe now Peyton can be considered.

The truth is he may be the best value at QB by far. The weapons at his disposal are silly and he has a head coach/playcaller who loves to sling the ball.

I concur with the non injury risk. Further consider that 100 year old kitna played well and stayed healthy behind that same o line last year.

How come we never hear "so and so looks like a total washed up piece of crap in training camp?"

Have you not been following the media and coaching staff on their remarks about Tebow?

Romo broke his non-throwing shoulder last year. That is not an injury that would lead me to call Romo an injury risk. His line is no worse than Vicks and he's no more an injury risk than Vick, Rodgers, and maybe now Peyton can be considered.

The truth is he may be the best value at QB by far. The weapons at his disposal are silly and he has a head coach/playcaller who loves to sling the ball.

I did not mean to imply he was an injury risk, per se, rather that with a weak offensive line, he is liable to be hit more, and therefore his risk of injury goes up.

Your point about his line being no worse than Vicks is not a good one, because Philly was near the top in sacks allowed last year. Some of that was due to Vick's scrambling and holding onto the ball too long, but they definitely were not one of the better pass protecting teams last year.

Romo has upside no doubt, but he has an offensive line in transition with a lot of unproven commodities. I was just trying to make people aware

that there was some risk there.

I did not mean to imply he was an injury risk, per se, rather that with a weak offensive line, he is liable to be hit more, and therefore his risk of injury goes up.

Your point about his line being no worse than Vicks is not a good one, because Philly was near the top in sacks allowed last year. Some of that was due to Vick's scrambling and holding onto the ball too long, but they definitely were not one of the better pass protecting teams last year.

Romo has upside no doubt, but he has an offensive line in transition with a lot of unproven commodities. I was just trying to make people aware

that there was some risk there.

I would have to disagree with that assessment. They have a back up Center playing until Gurode gets healthy and they have a rookie at RT. Everybody else on the O line is proven.

I would have to disagree with that assessment. They have a back up Center playing until Gurode gets healthy and they have a rookie at RT. Everybody else on the O line is proven.

As it currently stands, With Gurode cut and Costa Hurt, Dallas has two starters back from last year, Free and Kosier. Kosier is switching positions from LG to RG. Tyron Smith is new at RT. Nagy is a 7th round rookie probably starting at LG. Costa, who was an undrafted FA from last year, will be a first year starter if he is healthy, and if he isn't than an undrafted rookie will start at Center.

While these guys may be good in the long run, there are going to be some breakdowns this year. Keep in mind that defenses are typically not gameplanning in the pre-season and will be throwing a lot more at these guys when the regular season starts. That is when we will know how truly

vulnerable Romo will be this season.

:overhead:

A little while ago I was listening to Collin Cowherd who was insisting that Romo is Aaron Rodgers equal and asserting they he (and Rodgers) were among the 3 most athletic QB's in the game AND among the three best QB's in the game. Romo is 31 yrs old, in his 9th year, and has only finished in the top 5 (in FF rankings) once in 5 years. I know there's a difference between real world performance and fantasy, but to me, Romo is a classic boom/bust pick. And I believe that, much like the Cowboys playoff chances, he'll kill your team in the end.

As it currently stands, With Gurode cut and Costa Hurt, Dallas has two starters back from last year, Free and Kosier. Kosier is switching positions from LG to RG. Tyron Smith is new at RT. Nagy is a 7th round rookie probably starting at LG. Costa, who was an undrafted FA from last year, will be a first year starter if he is healthy, and if he isn't than an undrafted rookie will start at Center.

While these guys may be good in the long run, there are going to be some breakdowns this year. Keep in mind that defenses are typically not gameplanning in the pre-season and will be throwing a lot more at these guys when the regular season starts. That is when we will know how truly

The Gurode cut baffles me. Apparently it was about money owed to him. Okay, I get that but coming after the 3rd week of preseason you cut your probowl center? I don't get that.

I'm starting to think Romo may not be such a bargain.

Jerry Jones is broke.

The only team in the NFL to not sign a single free agent last year (in an uncapped year). This year, their biggest signing was Abram Elam for 1 year at $2.5m. This during what was possibly the biggest free agent bonanza in NFL history.

Jerry Jones is flat ass broke.

:doh:

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I have a draft coming up on Saturday.

Jerry Jones is broke.

The only team in the NFL to not sign a single free agent last year (in an uncapped year). This year, their biggest signing was Abram Elam for 1 year at $2.5m. This during what was possibly the biggest free agent bonanza in NFL history.

Jerry Jones is flat ass broke.

This may not be far from the truth. I believe he was desparate for naming rights/sponsor for the new stadium. I think the only money he had earmarked for FA was for Nnamdi, and he didn't have pockets deep enough to match what the Eagles did. I think he's overextended himself building JerraWorld and I think years of not having a good football guy in a GM spot has hurt them even more.

Gone from last year are 3 starters - Gurode, Davis, and Columbo. So in comes 3 new starters, including a at least one, possibly two rookies, and a center who was picked up as an undrafted free agent..

I wish I shared your enthuisiasm. I actually think there is plenty to worry about up front - this line hasn't proven jack.

Romo is 31 yrs old, in his 9th year, and has only finished in the top 5 (in FF rankings) once in 5 years. I know there's a difference between real world performance and fantasy, but to me, Romo is a classic boom/bust pick.

errr...romo has started and finished 3 seasons. a nifty column on one of my favorite FF websites has him finishing 2nd, 10th, and 5th in total points in those 3 seasons. he was top 10 even after missing games due to injury. fantasy PPG? 2nd, 5th, 6th, and last season...8th.

so i'm curious. which of these years was a bust, in your opinion?

errr...romo has started and finished 3 seasons. a nifty column on one of my favorite FF websites has him finishing 2nd, 10th, and 5th in total points in those 3 seasons. he was top 10 even after missing games due to injury. fantasy PPG? 2nd, 5th, 6th, and last season...8th.

so i'm curious. which of these years was a bust, in your opinion?

the rankings were based off my league settings, which may account for some fluctuation in the rankings, and were year end ranking. PPG is great, but it doesn't do a lick of good sitting on the bench because he's hurt. The boom/bust comment was more related to propensity to not finish seasons. And I believe behind that shaky offensive line, and with the porous defense they're sporting necessitating them being in shootouts every week, he's going to get hammered again this year. If he stays healthy, boom. If he doesn't, bust. If he's in, he's good. But that's a big if...

the rankings were based off my league settings, which may account for some fluctuation in the rankings, and were year end ranking. PPG is great, but it doesn't do a lick of good sitting on the bench because he's hurt.

Sure it does. I paired Romo with Roethlisberger last year and it ended up working out just fine. I had one of the top PPG from the QB position in our league.

This may not be far from the truth. I believe he was desparate for naming rights/sponsor for the new stadium. I think the only money he had earmarked for FA was for Nnamdi, and he didn't have pockets deep enough to match what the Eagles did. I think he's overextended himself building JerraWorld and I think years of not having a good football guy in a GM spot has hurt them even more.

The list of teams with deeper pockets than Dallas is short - and Philly is not one of them. Yea Clowny would like to have somebody step up and pay for naming rights, but that alone isn't keeping him from getting who he wants. Fact of the matter is Nnamdi did not want to play in Dallas, Clowny had the check in hand (basically) and was in fact was as shocked

as anybody when he didn't get the CB star, especially after he had heard that the Jets were out of the running. Local sports radio station 105.3 The Fan actually broke the news to Clowny that Nnamdi had agreed to terms with Philly, right there on the field.

I do agree with one thing though, not having a football GM in here has hurt the Cowboys. He got lucky, flat ass lucky, that he landed Jimmy Johnson and subsequently had Minnesota make one of the largest boneheaded trades in the history of sports - which in the end brought us 3 titles. I am glad he did what he did, but he is desperately in need of somebody else running the football side of things now - his miracle lottery luck has run out.

How come we never hear "so and so looks like a total washed up piece of crap in training camp?"

They just cut those guys. For example, Vince Young. :lol:

Guess it's time to bump Witten down a few spots then. I assume he'll play more of a pass protection role than a pass catching role, given the circumstances.

The boom/bust comment was more related to propensity to not finish seasons.

propensity means 'tendency'. a tendency entails repetition. romo has failed to finish a season exactly once. words mean things.

is romo at greater risk of injury due to the line situation? sure. just like rodgers was last season. in your opinion, is rodgers also a classic boom or bust player?

words mean things.

:lol:

:first:

Tony Romo has reportedly been "on fire" over the last five days at Cowboys training camp.

Romo said earlier in camp that he's "throwing the ball as well as he ever had in his career," and he's tearing it up in scrimmages and practices. With two No. 1-caliber wide receivers and the best all-around tight end in football as his weapons, Romo is setup for a huge year. Before his injury-ruined 2010 campaign, Romo had three straight seasons of top-nine fantasy QB stats.

looks good to me if everyone stays healthy..At his adp I feel he could produce top 5 #s

Antonio Gates got traded to the cowboys!!!??

Ok but seriously Romo is kind of a stud and I drafted him and started him with much glee last year. Injuries happen, sure i had big ben and mike vick off the wire but I was mad Romo was hurt. Ill draft him this year too if he falls to me and expect big things.

The list of teams with deeper pockets than Dallas is short - and Philly is not one of them. Yea Clowny would like to have somebody step up and pay for naming rights, but that alone isn't keeping him from getting who he wants. Fact of the matter is Nnamdi did not want to play in Dallas, Clowny had the check in hand (basically) and was in fact was as shocked as anybody when he didn't get the CB star, especially after he had heard that the Jets were out of the running. Local sports radio station 105.3 The Fan actually broke the news to Clowny that Nnamdi had agreed to terms with Philly, right there on the field.

I do agree with one thing though, not having a football GM in here has hurt the Cowboys. He got lucky, flat ass lucky, that he landed Jimmy Johnson and subsequently had Minnesota make one of the largest boneheaded trades in the history of sports - which in the end brought us 3 titles. I am glad he did what he did, but he is desperately in need of somebody else running the football side of things now - his miracle lottery luck has run out.

He came in 3 million under what Philly offered and, if I recall, was only equal to what the Jets has proposed that Nnamdi had balked at which caused them to withdraw in the first place. I like what Garrett is doing as far as getting rid of the "entitlement" (Thanks Brady James) and giving the younger, hungrier and more deserving players a chance. But Jerry isn't doing his team any favors. For as much as the Vikings were fleeced by the Boys in the infamous Herschel trade, almost the reverse was true with Detroit getting over on the Cowboys with Roy Williams. That one is the capper in a long line of recent bad moves.

propensity means 'tendency'. a tendency entails repetition. romo has failed to finish a season exactly once. words mean things.

is romo at greater risk of injury due to the line situation? sure. just like rodgers was last season. in your opinion, is rodgers also a classic boom or bust player?

Thanks for the thesaurus recap of "tendency", I feel so mucher more smarter now. In the last three years, Rodgers has started 47 of 48 games (not including playoffs). During the same span, Romo has started 35 of 48 games (also not including playoffs). And yes, behind a banged up offensive line I would say that Rodgers was a boom/bust player, um, last year. During that same period Roethlisberger has started 43 of 48 games (again, no playoffs), takes more hits than anybody and missed 4 games not due to injury, but stupidity. He also plays behind a bad line. I can go on and on about the games played with guys like Brady (other than the one season his knee was shredded), Manning, Brees, Rivers and Ryan...all of whom have a propensity (read: tendency, entailing repetition) to miss less games due to injury than Romo. You're right, words mean things. Thanks.

...all of whom have a propensity (read: tendency, entailing repetition) to miss less fewer games due to injury than Romo. You're right, words mean things. Thanks.

true, but this isn't what you wrote. you wrote that romo has a propensity not to finish seasons.

you made a silly factual error. own it.