Sign in to follow this  
scherber830

Garrard Released By Jags

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1483/david-garrard

Unless he asked for it, total d!ck move. They could have done this a couple weeks ago and given him time to soak in another team's playbook. I wouldn't complain if Seattle picked him up.

Garrard would be an upgrade for at least 7 teams right now, although Carolina is building for next year

San Fran, Seattle, Cincy, Washington, INDY, Carolina, Oakland.

Washington? Cinci? Carolina? Miami? Buffalo?

Seattle... Oakland... Cleveland... :unsure:

He would be a pretty big upgrade on any of those teams.

Cleaning house before a move to LA after the season... you can take that prediction to Vegas.

Why do they even bother putting professional teams in Florida? People only care about college sports in that part of the country. The Dolphins are the only exception.

The Magic, Heat, Marlins, Rays and Jags always have attendance problems even when their teams are successful. Stupid fockers with money :rolleyes:

Washington? Cinci? Carolina? Miami? Buffalo?

Seattle... Oakland... Cleveland... :unsure:

He would be a pretty big upgrade on any of those teams.

Gotta think Oakland, Cleveland, and Carolina are going to stand pat, and Cincy is too cheap. Buffalo should go hang tight because Garrard isn't better than what they have. My money is on Seattle.

Here's a link

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/david-garrard-cut-jacksonville-jaguars-quarterback-090611

Luke McCown to start Week 1!!! Wow!

What does this do for MJD, Mike Thomas, Mercedes Lewis?!!

I wasn't a big fan of MJD's even WITH Garrard.

Now that his owners have to rely on either a rookie or a below-average journeyman QB being productive in order for MJD to do anything of consequence is asking a lot.

All Jags' stock takes a hit for sure with this move.

Are Mike Thomas and Mercedes Lewis still startable?

Obviously MJD is a must-start if healthy regardless, but yeah. Not great news for owners who have to rely on any Jags.

All those folks that ###### and moan about players sitting out for new contracts, well here is a perfect case of why.

Why aren't owners honoring their end of the bargain? Ruthless...

The Seahawk players just voted Tavaris Jackson one of their team captains. I don't think Garrard is going to Seattle.

All those folks that ###### and moan about players sitting out for new contracts, well here is a perfect case of why.

Why aren't owners honoring their end of the bargain? Ruthless...

What "end of the bargain"? Teams have the right to cut a player at any time before Week 1 or their salary becomes guaranteed. Players can sit out, but they get fined because they don't have the right to sit out. Those "rights" are negotiated as part of Collective Bargaining.

BTW - not sure if you know this, but almost everyone's boss has the right to fire them at any time with or without cause.

Are Mike Thomas and Mercedes Lewis still startable?

Obviously MJD is a must-start if healthy regardless, but yeah. Not great news for owners who have to rely on any Jags.

I'm wondering the same about Thomas. He's my WR4 but I wish I had selected Nate B instead.

I'm thinking Washington for Garrard.

I wouldn't touch a single Jags player, unless MJD fell far enough, with McCown at the helm.

Looking to save $8M when they were planning on starting Gabbert by Week 7 anyway. At least that is my guess. :dunno:

I think you are dead on. $8M is a lot of cap room...this is the same move they pulled a few years back when they cut Leftwich for Garrard.

I'm thinking Washington for Garrard.

I wouldn't touch a single Jags player, unless MJD fell far enough, with McCown at the helm.

I rather have sexy Rexy then Garrard :)

The Seahawk players just voted Tavaris Jackson one of their team captains. I don't think Garrard is going to Seattle.

I just read about this. It made me laugh until I threw up in my mouth. <_<

Why do they even bother putting professional teams in Florida? People only care about college sports in that part of the country. The Dolphins are the only exception.

The Magic, Heat, Marlins, Rays and Jags always have attendance problems even when their teams are successful. Stupid fockers with money :rolleyes:

You left out the Bucs. They always do alright attendance wise.

I think you are dead on. $8M is a lot of cap room...this is the same move they pulled a few years back when they cut Leftwich for Garrard.

Accoring to what I heard on the radio, the Jags are 33 mil. under the cap now.

And we have another contender for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

I love reading all of this misinformation being spread by people without a clue.

The Jags wanted Garrard to be the starter and they were giving him every opportunity to do so. He just wasn't performing and struggled in the preseason. Luke out played him in camp, again and probably would have been the starter last year, but had a season ending leg injury. Obviously, it looks like terrible timing, but again, they wanted Garrard to be the starter this year and he just didn't have it in camp or in the preseason.

As far as the stupid comments about Jags going to L.A. next year, they are probably one of the least likely of the teams being talked about. They signed a 30 year lease with the city a few years back and it would be very costly to break it. There are a bunch of teams that make more sense especially ones that need a new stadium which we don't.

As far as the Jags not selling out the stadium when we had a good team, that is completely false. In the 90's (1995 and on) they were selling out a 76,000 seat stadium in one of the smallest markets in the NFL. Yes, they covered seats, but the stadium still has a 67,000 seat capacity and that currently is bigger then 11 other NFL stadiums.

Gabbert was drafted to be the future. Garrard was only holding his seat until he was ready. The difference between David and Luke may be marginal (and Luke has looked better in camp for the last 2 years), but significant in pay. Also, makes it easier to transition Gabbert when he is ready.

Yes, the Florida market is struggling with ticket sales. The Florida market also was one of the worst hit by the recession (and still is). Not here to make excuses (don't need to, I have my season tickets), but I can't stand when people make blatantly ignorant statements.

I love reading all of this misinformation being spread by people without a clue.

The Jags wanted Garrard to be the starter and they were giving him every opportunity to do so. He just wasn't performing and struggled in the preseason. Luke out played him in camp, again and probably would have been the starter last year, but had a season ending leg injury. Obviously, it looks like terrible timing, but again, they wanted Garrard to be the starter this year and he just didn't have it in camp or in the preseason.

As far as the stupid comments about Jags going to L.A. next year, they are probably one of the least likely of the teams being talked about. They signed a 30 year lease with the city a few years back and it would be very costly to break it. There are a bunch of teams that make more sense especially ones that need a new stadium which we don't.

As far as the Jags not selling out the stadium when we had a good team, that is completely false. In the 90's (1995 and on) they were selling out a 76,000 seat stadium in one of the smallest markets in the NFL. Yes, they covered seats, but the stadium still has a 67,000 seat capacity and that currently is bigger then 11 other NFL stadiums.

Gabbert was drafted to be the future. Garrard was only holding his seat until he was ready. The difference between David and Luke may be marginal (and Luke has looked better in camp for the last 2 years), but significant in pay. Also, makes it easier to transition Gabbert when he is ready.

Yes, the Florida market is struggling with ticket sales. The Florida market also was one of the worst hit by the recession (and still is). Not here to make excuses (don't need to, I have my season tickets), but I can't stand when people make blatantly ignorant statements.

You mad?

Jags are in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes!

Except they just spent a 1st rounder on Gabbert ... Oops. :doh:

Gabbert is the real deal. I don't think they're "playing for Andrew Luck", as some would suggest.

Gabbert has a cannon, good pocket presence, vision, a pretty accurate and is VERY smart. He scored like a 41 or 42 on the Wonderlic and was a 4.0 student. His only real weakness are 1) footwork and 2) experience (coming from the spread offense).

Ofcourse, I could be totally wrong... but I spend a lot of time evaluating QB's for Dynasty Leagues. I took Freeman ahead of Stafford and Sanchez in 09 and took Gabbert ahead of Cameron, Ponder, etc. .etc this year.

Gabbert is the real deal. I don't think they're "playing for Andrew Luck", as some would suggest.

Gabbert has a cannon, good pocket presence, vision, a pretty accurate and is VERY smart. He scored like a 41 or 42 on the Wonderlic and was a 4.0 student. His only real weakness are 1) footwork and 2) experience (coming from the spread offense).

Ofcourse, I could be totally wrong... but I spend a lot of time evaluating QB's for Dynasty Leagues. I took Freeman ahead of Stafford and Sanchez in 09 and took Gabbert ahead of Cameron, Ponder, etc. .etc this year.

I'm just joking. I have no idea how good Gabbert is, bu I do think Garrard is about as good a "bridge" QB as you're going to get and JAX personnel decisions over the past few years have been ... interesting. Seems like a dumb move.

Cleaning house before a move to LA after the season... you can take that prediction to Vegas.

Please .. we dont need no stinking jaguars here in LA.

Rams Chargers or Vikes i'd consider.

Seattle will beat them to the punch with T money at QB this year.

Seattle will beat them to the punch with T money at QB this year.

In the NFC West it's going to be impossible to win fewer than 4-5 games.

If this was the GM's call this was a major league d**k move, and dirty office politics, he essentially just got Del Rio fired unless he pulls off a miracle and makes the playoffs.

If it was Del Rio's decision he needs to be fired right now, once was stupid beyond belief with Leftwich, but twice? Unbelievably stupid move, I mean this was Mike Brown stupidity level (sorry Bengals fans :( ).

I'm just joking. I have no idea how good Gabbert is, bu I do think Garrard is about as good a "bridge" QB as you're going to get and JAX personnel decisions over the past few years have been ... interesting. Seems like a dumb move.

Yah, it's a pretty stupid move imo... He completed 65% of his passes last year, and is pretty mobile for a guy his size. Not sure what more you could ask for, with that group of journeyman receivers. They had a good shot at winning that division, especially with the Manning situation. Ownership basically giving the fans the finger, for the 8 mil in cap. I'd be pissed, if I was a Jags fan.

I vote for Cincy ... reasonable fill in for Palmer and it keeps Dalton from getting mauled by the Ravens and Steelers.

Yah, it's a pretty stupid move imo... He completed 65% of his passes last year, and is pretty mobile for a guy his size. Not sure what more you could ask for, with that group of journeyman receivers. They had a good shot at winning that division, especially with the Manning situation. Ownership basically giving the fans the finger, for the 8 mil in cap. I'd be pissed, if I was a Jags fan.

Agreed. I'd understand it if the Jags were in cap trouble but the move makes no sense except as a way to save cash. Garrard is not an elite QB by any stretch but he's about as good as you're going to get if you're a veteran team who needs someone to hold down the fort for a year or two while Gabbert gets his legs under him. I expected Garrard to start the first 8-10 games or so and when the Jags fall out of playoff contention they let Gabbert get his feet wet toward the end of the year. McCown is so bad that he's going to force their hand sooner rather than later. I don't get a lot of what the Jags do as a football team and we can add this strange move to the list. I also don't get why Jack del Rio still has a job or why a team as bad as the Bengals lets Marvin Lewis pretty much dictate the terms of his own employment, so I'll never be the GM of a floundering franchise I guess. :dunno: