Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

The Hunger Games

I think it's young adult (teen) literature? A friend of my wife's loaned it to her and she started reading it but said it was clearly for kids. The trailer kind of reminds me of Battle Royale, a really terrific Japanese movie.

I would say that half of all the women on match.com between 25-33 list the hunger games as the last book that they have read.

It must be extremely popular.

Just some new BS franchise for the unwashed masses. Harry Potter, Twilight...now The Hunger Games. :sleep:

If this is indeed a teen/kid book, that movie trailer does a good job of hiding that fact. Looked pretty dark.

My chick creamed over the book, she wants to see the movie.

Then again she loved the harry potter and twilight books and moves

That's probabaly cause she's 11 years old.

That's probabaly cause she's 11 years old.

You know MDC, you're a really azzbag for saying that....

cause I wanted to say it, but you were faster. :(

Been seeing this trailer the past couple of days and it looks damn interesting. Although, most movies with Woody Harrelson (even in a minor role) tend to suck. Anyone read the book?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

I read it on the emphatic suggestion of my 12 yo. I liked it a lot better the first time I read it when it was called "The Long Walk".

Actually, the first one was okay I thought. The writing isn't great, young adult stuff like MDC says - the sci-fi elements in particular ranged from not real believable to down-right stupid - but plot-wise it was a decent page-turner. It is pretty violent considering its target audience. The second and third books get progressively worse.

My 12 year old loved it.

My 12 year old son read the book and is excited about the movie :thumbsup:

I read the book and thought it was excellent. While not up to the literary standards of an MDC short story, it was still a very good (and quick) read. We already have tickets to my daughter's birthday party to see the premier with 10 7th grade girls. I'm sure the movie will not live up to the hype, to dismiss the story as a teen writing is not fair. Very original concept written well.

I saw the trailer and my son owned the book so I just read it. Quick read, took about 4 hours. Good story, sort of a ripoff of "The Running Man" in many ways. The film will have to change the ending, but it should stay pretty true to the book.

I read the book and thought it was excellent. While not up to the literary standards of an MDC short story, it was still a very good (and quick) read. We already have tickets to my daughter's birthday party to see the premier with 10 7th grade girls. I'm sure the movie will not live up to the hype, to dismiss the story as a teen writing is not fair. Very original concept written well.

Wow, I don't know what I have more problem with, "original concept" or "written well"?

The writing is marginal at best IMO, with the sci-fi elements being borderline laughable, and the concept was basically ripped from "Battle Royale", as MDC mentions, which borrowed heavily from King's "The Long Walk" (eta: and "The Running Man" hat tip to Timmy Smith) which borrowed heavily from Jackson's "The Lottery". At least those authors were good enough to acknowledge those influences.

I agree. I read the series and i thought it was a good concept. Yes Timmy...very Running Man-ish or whatever that crappy Stone Cold Steve Austin movie was where they had to kill each other to get off the island...sorta like that.

I also agree each book got progressively worse with the last one being barely readable...was almost a filler book .

Overall i thought it was good....wont go see the movie though.

I also read it and while aimed for young adults, the message that is portrayed is for an older crowd.

Population control through entertainment, exploitation of the poor/working class, and iron-fisted dictatorship.

Fox News is going to think it's more indoctrination of the class warfare to our youth.

My link

Good book. But I just don't feel like they'll show enough violence and gore in the movie compared to my imagination when reading the book.

If you want to watch Hunger Games the movie, just go rent Battle Royale. Trust me, it's the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Blu-ray-Chiaki-Kuriyama/dp/B006L4MX0Y/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1330805364&sr=1-2-spell

Good book. But I just don't feel like they'll show enough violence and gore in the movie compared to my imagination when reading the book.

If you want to watch Hunger Games the movie, just go rent Battle Royale. Trust me, it's the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Blu-ray-Chiaki-Kuriyama/dp/B006L4MX0Y/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1330805364&sr=1-2-spell

I can agree with this. While I haven't read the Japanese book I've read a lot about it. I am still looking forward to The Hunger Games movie after reading all 3. Keeping my expectations lower than the rest of my family I'm sure. Also read the first book of the Divergent series. Potentially more violent in the end but is written by a young 20 female so it might stay tame. Still have to see Battle Royale the movie too.

I can agree with this. While I haven't read the Japanese book I've read a lot about it. I am still looking forward to The Hunger Games movie after reading all 3. Keeping my expectations lower than the rest of my family I'm sure. Also read the first book of the Divergent series. Potentially more violent in the end but is written by a young 20 female so it might stay tame. Still have to see Battle Royale the movie too.

Hey Guard! How the hell are ya buddy!?

Hey Guard! How the hell are ya buddy!?

Doing well. You? I catch you on FB once in while. You are a funny guy. What happens when you come here?

Doing well. You? I catch you on FB once in while. You are a funny guy. What happens when you come here?

I'm ok. Just working too much and not having as much fun as I would like.

And sorry, the geek club sucks the funny out of me.

I'm ok. Just working too much and not having as much fun as I would like.

And sorry, the geek club sucks the funny out of me.

Ricey and Guardbum. We really need to recruit back zen and sarge so this place is like our old place. :(

I read Hunger Games and totally agree with you, Ricey...no way they make this movie as violent as I imagined it while I read it.

FWIW I wasn't criticizing, just saying I thought it was Young Adult lit. I think it's great that they make books for younger readers.

zen is still active on fb, I wouldn't be surprised if he lurked on here once in a while.

I saw the trailer and my son owned the book so I just read it. Quick read, took about 4 hours. Good story, sort of a ripoff of "The Running Man" in many ways. The film will have to change the ending, but it should stay pretty true to the book.

I was thinking a combination of The Running Man, The Lottery, and Logan's Run.

It's not really all that original.

One of my friends gave me the book to read a while ago saying she loved it, but the thought of reading a teenage sci-fi drama hasn't appealed to me. I couldn't understand adult women getting into the Twilight nonsense either. My sister read two pages of it to me when we were on vacation to try to show me how good it was. I made her throw it in the trash before we left Argentina telling her no one else on earth should have to be exposed to that garbage. :dunno:

Wow, I don't know what I have more problem with, "original concept" or "written well"?

The writing is marginal at best IMO, with the sci-fi elements being borderline laughable, and the concept was basically ripped from "Battle Royale", as MDC mentions, which borrowed heavily from King's "The Long Walk" (eta: and "The Running Man" hat tip to Timmy Smith) which borrowed heavily from Jackson's "The Lottery". At least those authors were good enough to acknowledge those influences.

:lol: I said The Lottery before I even read your post. :cheers: I didn't read the books but my friend gave me the synopsis of it and that was the first thing that came to mind.

so you all flipped flopped - should I read it or not ?

do you want to get in touch with your inner teen girl side ?

zen is still active on fb, I wouldn't be surprised if he lurked on here once in a while.

Oh yeah, I know. I was reading his post the other day with the kid and the drawing...not sure if you saw it. It made me spit out my coffee I was laughing so hard.

Would Zen read The Hunger Games? Probably not. Therefore its likely literary trash but an enjoyable read. Ripoff? No. Entirely original? Definitely not.

It's an okay read and it's a quick read. Just understand what audience it was written for. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

It's an okay read, just understand what audience it was written for. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Its not that bad...yeesh. Its not like the text reads.."Then we all went to the jungle....and i was like OMG its a giant spider ya'll!!"

The characters are teens....therefore...teeny book.

I thought it was good.....and apparantly its a good enough idea to make a movie series out of. I dunno.

Its not that bad...yeesh. Its not like the text reads.."Then we all went to the jungle....and i was like OMG its a giant spider ya'll!!"

I thought it was good.....and apparantly its a good enough idea to make a movie series out of. I dunno.

Oh OK I read the Lightning Thief because my son wanted me too - didn't read the whole series - it was a good book also written for and about teens. Think I read 2 maybe 3 of the 5 in the series. He loved it - was upset when he realized series was over and he couldn't read about them anymore.

Oh OK I read the Lightning Thief because my son wanted me too - didn't read the whole series - it was a good book also written for and about teens. Think I read 2 maybe 3 of the 5 in the series. He loved it - was upset when he realized series was over and he couldn't read about them anymore.

Yeah i thought it was good. Throw a handful of teens into changing war arena scene....where they have to kill each other to get out.

Like i said before....its a cross between Running Man and that Stone Cold Steve Austin movie where the felons get thrown on an island and have to kill each other go free.....if you think of it like that....its pretty good.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it's "okay". I just think people should be aware that it was written with a target audience in mind and the writing reflects that. :dunno:

I give credit to this series for giving my 11 year old son the reading bug. He has all of the HP books and has not cracked even one, but he raced through the PJ books. He is about halfway through "The Hunger Games", and I am looking forward to seeing the film with him. I have read far worse books than THG.

I read it, my girlfriend said it was a good quick read. The series gets progressively worse, but the first one is pretty decent. Definitely agree its young adult lit. Still I'll go watch the movie just to see it and it's something we both have sme interest in.

The simple fact that so many of you are aware of the books and have positive reviews of them, probably means I'll go see the movie. Thanks for the input.

Would Zen read The Hunger Games? Probably not. Therefore its likely literary trash but an enjoyable read. Ripoff? No. Entirely original? Definitely not.

It's a tip, he wrote it. ;)