Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Straight White Male

Have some thoughts but I'll probably get them in tomorrow.

YeaH I will also read this tomorrow when I HAVE BOTH EYES OPEN .... :cheers: That's a lot of werds...

Oh and ......... naomi :wub:

Load of crap. Good parents are more important than almost any other variable in one's success in life.

Load of crap. Good parents are more important than almost any other variable in one's success in life.

Uh Oh Strike is in the house ....

I hate Tebow and TEBOWING.... 

:mad:

Uh Oh Strike is in the house ....

I hate Tebow and TEBOWING.... 

:mad:

I may need to find a good Peyton Manning Avatar now that we've switched QB's.

:pointstosky:

Oh, allow me to play please.

Try being a poor white trash straight white male growing up on 8 Mile. You have no connections, even if you stay off drugs and stay in school and do what your supposed to do, you still got a sh*t education at East Detroit High School that focuses all their attention at reducing their dropout rate for 16 y/os and doesn't care about the best students. No AP offered, no calculus class, the computer class is totally worthless. This puts you two years behind everybody else before you even get started.

Even thought you're one of the best students, all the best colleges tell you to fock off because you're the wrong color. They'd rather take the rich gay black female playing on "extreme hard" difficulty who went to the elite prep school across town and scored 100 points lower than you on the SAT. Maybe because she participated in band and wintered in Aruba while you were working as a bagger at the local supermarket to pay for clothes and never vacationed anywhere. Then the racist scholarship offers all go to her too.

Fortunantly there are need based scholarships ... which your black classmates can enjoy.

You have to find your own way to pay for college so you join the Army. Lots of blacks and hispanics here (and white) ... being white or any other race is totally inconsequential. You work for anybody of any race and the only thing for sure is the job totally sucks. Then you get out and attend the cheapest public university within driving range of your mother's house to save money.

Then you get out and there's no jobs availible. Still waiting for that great white thingy to kick in. Unfortunatly you don't know anyone or have any connections and so you're totally screwed ... living with mom, substitute teaching... so you take off for China to teach English.

Finally being white pays off. :thumbsup:

Try being a poor white trash straight white male growing up on 8 Mile. You have no connections, even if you stay off drugs and stay in school and do what your supposed to do, you still got a sh*t education at East Detroit High School that focuses all their attention at reducing their dropout rate for 16 y/os and doesn't care about the best students. No AP offered, no calculus class, the computer class is totally worthless. This puts you two years behind everybody else before you even get started.

Even thought you're one of the best students, all the best colleges tell you to fock off because you're the wrong color. They'd rather take the rich gay black female playing on "extreme hard" difficulty who went to the elite prep school across town and scored 100 points lower than you on the SAT. Maybe because she participated in band and wintered in Aruba while you were working as a bagger at the local supermarket to pay for clothes and never vacationed anywhere. Then the racist scholarship offers all go to her too.

Fortunantly there are need based scholarships ... which your black classmates can enjoy.

You have to find your own way to pay for college so you join the Army. Lots of blacks and hispanics here (and white) ... being white or any other race is totally inconsequential. You work for anybody of any race and the only thing for sure is the job totally sucks. Then you get out and attend the cheapest public university within driving range of your mother's house to save money.

Then you get out and there's no jobs availible. Still waiting for that great white thingy to kick in. Unfortunatly you don't know anyone or have any connections and so you're totally screwed ... living with mom, substitute teaching... so you take off for China to teach English.

as Ernie would say "that one's LOOONGGGGGG GONNNNEEEE" Volty just hit that one out of the park.

That's why I left the Democraps. They think it's ok to discriminate against white hetrosexual males.

That's why I left the Democraps. They think it's ok to discriminate against white hetrosexual males.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. :thumbsdown:

Curious what geeks (being heavily straight...although debatable of late ;) white males) think about this gaming - privilege parallel

Curious what our non-white geeks think too.

Have some thoughts but I'll probably get them in tomorrow.

I am not going to read the article, although i do agree with the statement that straight white males have the easiest time in America.

What kind of comments are you looking for? The premise of the article is kind of stupid to begin with.

I think that it is flawed as well. If you are a straight white male, you blend in with everyone else and are given no handouts. It could be argued that no handouts are necessary, but those handouts/concessions definitely adjust the playing field.

It is also harder to differentiate yourself if you are single white male. Look at the college application process. If you are white male, good luck getting a scholarship.

Just a few examples. :dunno:

I am not going to read the article, although i do agree with the statement that straight white males have the easiest time in America.

:lol: Straight White Males are the group of people that are discriminated against more than any other group in this country. They even passed a law to make discrimination legal against the Straight White Male. The opportunities the government provides for women and minorities are incredible, white males need not apply.

Of course because the Straight White Male has to work for what others have given to them, it makes the Straight White Male the strongest group of people in the country.

I cannot imagine what would happen if it were not greased. Only about 90% of the tax money generated in this country comes from them.

I cannot imagine what would happen if it were not greased. Only about 90% of the tax money generated in this country comes from them.

:first:

Yeah, I know. It sucks. :thumbsdown:

My story is something like yours. I dropped out with a 4.0 average because I couldn't afford to go any longer. Yet some black kids that slept through class and failed got yet another grand. TEK....no grant.

What is "the only subgroup of Americans that cannot be bigoted against, is fair game to sterotype and where political correctness doesn't apply".

No only is the guy a moron, he isn't even funny. The beauty is that whrn you keep telling the white male they have it made they believe it.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe you have no sense of humor. Wait, I think we already knew that. You gotta be a lotta fun at parties.

What is "the only subgroup of Americans that cannot be bigoted against, is fair game to sterotype and where political correctness doesn't apply".

Look at sitcoms. Wife smart. Husband Dumb, even if it doesn't make sense. Look at Everybody Loves Raymond. He was supposed to be stupid, yet he was a college educated sports writer.

Look at sitcoms. Wife smart. Husband Dumb, even if it doesn't make sense. Look at Everybody Loves Raymond. He was supposed to be stupid, yet he was a college educated sports writer.

Of course. Look at sterotypes/derogatory words that are used. Anybody can call a person 'white trash' or 'redneck' or 'white ass cracker'. You can yell that in the middle of a public park and nobody would notice.

You say any type of deragotroy term for a homosexual or african american and you're deemed the worst person on the planiet. In public speaking to a large group if the speaker even uses the term 'black' some people get all uncomfortable. You have to walk on egg shells with that stuff. Its taboo.

While calling somebody a redneck is funny.

Or maybe you have no sense of humor. Wait, I think we already knew that. You gotta be a lotta fun at parties.

and I am sure you still laugh at arm pit farts. :thumbsup:

and I am sure you still laugh at arm pit farts. :thumbsup:

Nope. But I think Louis CK is really funny and that's a funny bit. I'm just glad I don't have such fragile sensibilities and such a huge political stick up my ass that I can't see that. :thumbsup:

Bill Burr has a pretty good one on the white man's guilt/racist movies...can't link it right now :(

Nope. But I think Louis CK is really funny and that's a funny bit. I'm just glad I don't have such fragile sensibilities and such a huge political stick up my ass that I can't see that. :thumbsup:

I often wondered who laughed at these hacks.

I often wondered who laughed at these hacks.

People with a sense of humor. HTH.

It's situations like that that make this perception bother me:

As the game progresses, your goal is to gain points, apportion them wisely, and level up. If you start with fewer points and fewer of them in critical stat categories, or choose poorly regarding the skills you decide to level up on, then the game will still be difficult for you. But because you’re playing on the “Straight White Male” setting, gaining points and leveling up will still by default be easier, all other things being equal, than for another player using a higher difficulty setting.

The objection to being bothered by that (if privilege applies to you) is that there's always exceptions, yet STILL in light of the hurdles for the non straight-white-male, it's not whine worthy. Cry me a river.

What you take away is that if a SWM had a difficult time, it was on him. (Might be true, but he's the only specific combination of categories who should own it). If you have a successful SWM, it's because the game is easy, it's independent of what he's bringing to the table. It's actually okay to resent his success, regardless of the details of his life. It creeps me out a little that whenever privilege as a concept is unpacked, with the aim of getting people to evolve, all the reasoning leaves open that it's just to have that perception.

Are you kidding me?? The chicks really dig it when he mentions song lyrics and dead guy quotes. And then he'll accuse guests of being clueless and not understanding things. Of course, when pressed to explain 'things' to them, he passes and calls them stupid. Life of the party type, old Phurfur is.

One of the great side-benefits of marrying a Chinese woman is our kids can be passed off as hispanic. Being asian is even worse than being white, but being both confuses the racists. To help that out, when my daughter turns 17, we'll change our last name to Gonzalez, change it back after the boy applies to school.

Are you kidding me?? The chicks really dig it when he mentions song lyrics and dead guy quotes. And then he'll accuse guests of being clueless and not understanding things. Of course, when pressed to explain 'things' to them, he passes and calls them stupid. Life of the party type, old Phurfur is.

In his defense, most of the people at parties he attends have trouble hearing and the early signs of Alzheimer.

I tend to think the problem isn't so much that the game is easiest on SWM. I tend to think the problem is others don't want to play the same game as the SWM. My problem with the statement that it's easier for the SWM is that I am a SWM that had to work my way up on my own. Rather than fight the system in front of me, I put my head down and did what I had to do to move up. Maybe the system was built by the SWM, but that shouldn't make a difference to anyone. If you want to get ahead in life, don't question the system. Put your head down and work with what you have.

I guess for me, you can spend time complaining that the system isn't made for you, or you can push through it and make it work for you.

One of the great side-benefits of marrying a Chinese woman is our kids can be passed off as hispanic. Being asian is even worse than being white, but being both confuses the racists. To help that out, when my daughter turns 17, we'll change our last name to Gonzalez, change it back after the boy applies to school.

White trash cracker, chink wetbacks. You're right...it is confusing.

I sure as fock wouldn't change sides. You guys can complain about how we can't say nigger and wimmens get all the scholarship money, but I'll take the pros v cons in this one every single time.

"Oh noooooo, there's a gay man on every sitcom! It's soooooo hard being me in America." Uh huh. :overhead: We're the only group on the planet that complains when people level the playing field. It's almost sad, but it's way more hilarious.

Straight White Males are the most ass kickin' group on the planet. :pointstosky: They even passed laws to hold them back because the rest of society could not compete. :thumbsup: