Sign in to follow this  
redtodd

Ignorant Religious Question

Can someone explain to me how Mormanism (is that a word?) is any crazier than the typical whacky Christian beliefs?

I'll hang up and listen. :)

I think they're basically the same, except Mormons believe god was an alien and Christians believe god was a zombie.

I think they're basically the same, except Mormons believe god was an alien and Christians believe god was a zombie.

And apparently you believe Jesus was god

The Scientologists have the best lie, as they should since it was hashed out by a talented modern science fiction writer.

And apparently you believe Jesus was god

Well duh, he was god incarnate!

I and my Father are one. John 10:30

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...All things were made by him...He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us John 1:1, 3, 10, 14

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

Mormons believe some stuff that is demonstrably false. Like that Native Americans came from some evil lost tribe of Israel and that Jesus visited America after his resurrection.

Also they believe that God still communicates to the Prophet, so basic tenets of their religion can change even today through supposed divine intervention.

Basically it's like TBBOM says - their beliefs are so new (and still developing) that we can see for ourselves how absurd they are. Whereas Christianity is predicated on stuff that supposedly happened thousands of years ago, so it's easier to believe that maybe those events or some version of them truly occurred.

Well duh, he was god incarnate!

I and my Father are one. John 10:30

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...All things were made by him...He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us John 1:1, 3, 10, 14

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

I always thought they were one part of the holy trinity, but then again I didn't pay much attention in church

This version of 1 John 5:7 is not in the earliest Biblical Greek manuscripts. So it's probably a Roman Catholic blatant forgery by Saint Jerome in his 4th century Latin Vulgate in order to propagate the Catholic version of the trinity(which i agree with by the way).

Here is how the oldest Greek Biblical manuscripts read in 1 John 5:7.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

There isn't a Greek manuscript found yet with 1 John 5:7's 4th century Latin Vulgate version until the 14th century Greek manuscript was found.

They have a wizard of oz guy that gives them more flexibility than a literal translation of a 2000 year old book

This version of 1 John 5:7 is not in the earliest Biblical Greek manuscripts. So it's probably a Roman Catholic blatant forgery by Saint Jerome in his 4th century Latin Vulgate in order to propagate the Catholic version of the trinity(which i agree with by the way).

Here is how the oldest Greek Biblical manuscripts read in 1 John 5:7.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

There isn't a Greek manuscript found yet with 1 John 5:7's 4th century Latin Vulgate version until the 14th century Greek manuscript was found.

Yah whatever. I like The Prestige better than The Illusionist, but they're still movies about the exact same thing.

Christians believe that Jesus performed a bunch of miracles, rose from the dead and then told .000000001% of the world population( a couple of his apostles).

Mormons believe that Jesus performed a bunch of miracles, rose from the dead, and then contacted .00001% of the population(a couple apostles and a tribe or 2 in north america).

Not much difference :dunno:

Joseph Smith rejected the bible as the complete word of God. 'Latter Day Saints' believe dogma not found in the bible, and often it's contradictory to what is. The fundamental reward in it (if you believe it) is a classic (as far as the bible reads) perilous lust in the heart of man the bible speaks to - 'ye shall be as Gods.' Mormons believe people can ultimately become Gods. That's the objective.

"As man is God once was, and as God is man may become."

The gospel (according to the bible) can be summarized as the message that man is redeemed through grace. Grace is unmerited favor.

Romans 5

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

In Mormonism, you obtain redemption. Technically redemption might not be the right word because there's an inherent holiness in people, as they're believed to have a pre-mortal existence and post-mortal choices to make. The bible says that the wages of sin are death (sin period, not select sin, and it also says everyone has a sin nature), "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." (Heb. 9:27)

That's the really fundamental difference (from the perspective of the purpose of the gospel in the first place), but there's a ton of significant LDS specific doctrine.

Like other major religions and many sects that put themselves under the Christian label, there's always flexibility to amend things and make the system more palatable for critical culture. You don't ultimately recognize the bible or even the BOM and other writings sacred to them, you appeal to men. Another big theme in the bible is a warning against that, and an understanding that there isn't a mediator between God and man. Through Christ men were mediated for on Calvary. "It is finished." - John 19:30

Mormonism is Coke Zero to Christianity's Diet Coke. Both are artificially sweetened versions of our fleeting but delicious existence.

Deep.

Deep.

i think mobb's alien vs zombie was better, but both deserve applause.

Did anyone else skip over naomi's post without reading a single longwinded werd of t?

i think mobb's alien vs zombie was better, but both deserve applause.

I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that Classic Coke is our existence. What does this make the Santa Claus figure used in early Coke ads? :unsure:

I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that Classic Coke is our existence. What does this make the Santa Claus figure used in early Coke ads? :unsure:

The real thing?

Not sure about Santa, but I'm sure that Mary is represented by Cherry Coke.

Did anyone else skip over naomi's post without reading a single longwinded werd of t?

I started to read and was lost by about the 5th word. :dunno:

If you really want to know what Mormons believe, watch South Park.

Not sure about Santa, but I'm sure that Mary is represented by Cherry Coke.

So is the Devil Pepsi or New Coke?

Are not all religion questions ignorant?

If you really want to know what Mormons believe, watch South Park.

Dum dum dum dum dum

Are not all religion questions ignorant?

Yeah probably, because I am basically inquiring the difference in make believe.

It is like asking what the difference is between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

I always skip over her posts :banana:

Speak for yourself: I fapped to every word of it. Hard. :wub:

Boobs.

:doublethumbsup:

since it was hashed out by a talented modern science fiction writer.

I thought he was an abject failure, hence why he formed this cult?

Just so I understand:

Anyone that has a problem with Romney's Morman beliefs over Obama's Christian beliefs is basing it on the theory that their view on make believe viewpoint is superior to Romney's make-believe viewpoint?

Makes sense.....kinda......uh......:mellow:

Just so I understand:

Anyone that has a problem with Romney's Morman beliefs over Obama's Christian beliefs is basing it on the theory that their view on make believe viewpoint is superior to Romney's make-believe viewpoint?

Makes sense.....kinda......uh......:mellow:

Yeah I think we all knew that's what you were getting at.

Don't forget the original formula existed 2000 years ago, made with pure cane sugar and a bit of actual cocaine. It was delicious and the Lord was pleased. :music_guitarred:

I thought he was an abject failure, hence why he formed this cult?

I like the L. Ron Hubbard books that I've read. :dunno:

If the local school board required me to pass off a religious creation myth in a Louisiana school science class as a legitimate alternative, his would be the best.

If I had to chose a religion for some reason, not being expected to attend or make a donation would be at the top of the list.