Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks

Because they can't overturn "possession" of the ball like that.

Only thing they could do was see if the ball hit the ground or tate was out.

ESPN and the ex ref (not just Stu Scott who had the rules correct...as did everyone else on ESPN)...they both explained this.

NFL Statement

"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

(I like that part about the players hitting the ground. Not this initial control crap that most here and most of the nuts on TV are screaming about. It's all about the process of the

catch. Jennings could have spun the ball on his fingertip in the air for 10 seconds, if an offensive player gets his hands on when the players actually hit the turf, it's the O players ball)

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

:thumbsup:

NFL Statement

"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

(I like that part about the players hitting the ground. Not this initial control crap that most here and most of the nuts on TV are screaming about. It's all about the process of the

catch. Jennings could have spun the ball on his fingertip in the air for 10 seconds, if an offensive player gets his hands on when the players actually hit the turf, it's the O players ball)

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

:thumbsup:

So if Jennings firmly has the ball in his grasp, and on the way down, Tate can just put his finger tips on the ball, that is considered simultaneous possession? Never, at anytime, did Tate actually possess the ball, touching it is not possession. I love how some people try to spin this like it was the correct call.

I am not a Packer or Seahwk fan.

Just a football fan watching the game.

And it was not even close to simultaneus possession.

Tate never cme close to ball possession, he might have touched the ball

with a fingertip, but not even close of possession, while the GB player clearly has

both hands on the ball. Very Very bad call.

But not has funny has the ref who called illegal block in the back on the kicking team,

that was hilarious.

Those referees are bad , they havent got a clue about rules or anything, terrible.

I have no words. How can you support this kind of farce? Forget about your regional affiliations for 2 seconds, this just makes no sense as a FOOTBALL FAN.

Phony outrage. Nice try. Too bad you were silent after SB 40. The NFL told us that was a correctly officiated game. You agreed. You are the farce.

So if Jennings firmly has the ball in his grasp, and on the way down, Tate can just put his finger tips on the ball, that is considered simultaneous possession? Never, at anytime, did Tate actually possess the ball, touching it is not possession. I love how some people try to spin this like it was the correct call.

If? So you are saying catching the ball by the fingertips is no longer a catch? Just stop. Possession doesn't happen until they hit the ground and finish the process of the catch.

Understand that first, and work back. The legit non-scab NFL rule official got that right in the review.

If? So you are saying catching the ball by the fingertips is no longer a catch? Just stop. Possession doesn't happen until they hit the ground and finish the process of the catch.

Understand that first, and work back. The legit non-scab NFL rule official got that right in the review.

Understand this, Tate NEVER had possession, his left hand was on Jennings arm (not the ball), and his right arm may have been touching the ball. Jennings did come down with the ball and both feet hit the ground.

As far as the booth review, from what I've read...the head ref went to the booth review saying it was called a TD on the field, by rule, the booth could not overturn this and say it was an interception. They could only rule on whether the ball hit the ground or the player was out of bounds. I don't think anyone knows what the rules is, including the NFL! :)

Understand this, Tate NEVER had possession, his left hand was on Jennings arm (not the ball), and his right arm may have been touching the ball. Jennings did come down with the ball and both feet hit the ground.

As far as the booth review, from what I've read...the head ref went to the booth review saying it was called a TD on the field, by rule, the booth could not overturn this and say it was an interception. They could only rule on whether the ball hit the ground or the player was out of bounds. I don't think anyone knows what the rules is, including the NFL! :)

He's trolling. NO ONE is so stupid as to think that this was simultaneous possession - except these paid-off scab refs. Not even troll boy.

He's trolling. NO ONE is so stupid as to think that this was simultaneous possession - except these paid-off scab refs. Not even troll boy.

Eric Davis clearly sees what your beer goggles won't let you see:

My link

NFL Statement:

This was a travesty, Green Bay was jobbed and there's no way around it. What I don't get though, is how come nobody is chastising the Packers Defense for not doing what EVERYONE who has every played defense on a Hail Mary type play has been taught...

KNOCK IT DOWN!!!

:dunno:

I think it was a touchdown catch by Tate. Hard to believe how others can be so adamant that it was an interception. :huh:

This was a travesty, Green Bay was jobbed and there's no way around it. What I don't get though, is how come nobody is chastising the Packers Defense for not doing what EVERYONE who has every played defense on a Hail Mary type play has been taught...

KNOCK IT DOWN!!!

:doublethumbsup:

I think it was a touchdown catch by Tate. Hard to believe how others can be so adamant that it was an interception. :huh:

It's no wonder you're a Cowboys fan, tards of a feather flock together...

KNOCK IT DOWN!!!

That doesn't always work either, ask the Titans player that knocked it down, only for it to fall into the hands of T. Young of Detroit...I bet he wishes he would have just caught it. I beleive this same thing happened last year as well.

That doesn't always work either, ask the Titans player that knocked it down, only for it to fall into the hands of T. Young of Detroit...I bet he wishes he would have just caught it. I beleive this same thing happened last year as well.

I'll take the chance the chances of that freak thing happening again over this mess.

It's no wonder you're a Cowboys fan, tards of a feather flock together...

He's just trolling. As is GettnHuge. Now FlaHawker...I think that dude is actually stupid enough to believe that was a TD. :(

Packers got hosed no question.

But... if Mike McCarthy would have tried running the ball more than 3 times in the 1st half or if the O-line doesn't give up 9 sacks, maybe it wouldn't have mattered?

The blueprint is out there on how you beat the Packers. Bump them at the line, leave 2 safety's over the top and make them dink and dunk/run. McCarthy is too impatient to do that and always falls into passing every down. Rodgers is always looking for the big play instead of what the defense is giving him. Last year spoiled them both, but now teams have figured them out.

One dimensional offenses are easy to stop no matter how good that one dimension is. If the Packers don't make adjustments to their offense they'll be lucky to even make the playoffs.

:pointstosky:

The opposite view shows Tate's right hand is clearly on top of the ball/hands package. His left hand/arm is between Jennings' body and the ball; you can clearly see his elbow just right of Martin's helmet, his forearm keeping the ball away from Jennings' chest, and his hand on the ball and between the ball and Jennings' facemask. Tate has two hands on the ball at the end of the catch and is holding the ball away from Jennings' chest even at this late point.

In summary, Tate made a one handed catch by stopping the descent of the ball with his left hand; his left hand remains in contact with the ball through the catch. 1/60th of a second later, Jennings started a move to wrest the ball away from Tate before Tate could hit the ground, but he never pulls it out of Tate's left hand. Tate had two hands on the ball and two feet on the ground before Jennings had established contact with the ground (even though only one hand is required for a catch). Tate had already made the catch/completion (controlling the ball, two feet inbounds, and a football move) at the moment that Jennings established two feet, but before Jennings had completed the catch. Well after Tate had completed the three acts necessary for it to be ruled a catch, and after a touchdown had occurred, Jennings wrested the ball away.

The simultaneous catch rule does not have any stipulations about degrees of control or degrees of possession. Any argument based on the fact that Jennings looked like he had "more control" isn't clearly recognized in the rule book on simultaneous catches (although it clearly plays a role in fumble recovery calls). The rule stipulates when players establish "simultaneous control" the rule applies - it does not stipulate equal control. You may disagree with the way the rulebook is written, but to me it is very clear that the play can be easily interpreted as a simultaneous catch.

I firmly believe that both players caught the ball, and both had control, and that by the simultaneous catch rule, it was a TD catch. The rest of the play aside (OPI, Matthews roughing the passer by driving Wilson into the ground), I think it's a very good play by Jennings, a great play by Tate, and a correct (even if lucky) call by the refs.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/9/25/3410146/golden-tates-golden-catch

This whole thing is a simple example of Mob Mentality.

Jennings had more possession, but Tate had it also. Even if Jennings had 99% of it and Tate had 1%, its simultaneous possession. Whether that be one finger or one hand.

And the refs in the replay booth were allowed to review simultaneous possession, and they agreed Tate had a claim to the ball, despite not being replacement refs.

We saw a weekend of bad calls and the mob's blood was boiling. Then this tough call happened and the mob grabbed their pitchforks and took over. Mob Mentality.

Jennings had more possession, but Tate had it also. Even if Jennings had 99% of it and Tate had 1%, its simultaneous possession. Whether that be one finger or one hand.

And the refs in the replay booth were allowed to review simultaneous possession, and they agreed Tate had a claim to the ball, despite not being replacement refs.

We saw a weekend of bad calls and the mob's blood was boiling. Then this tough call happened and the mob grabbed their pitchforks and took over. Mob Mentality.

Furthermore, ESPN is leading the mob. We all know they have an agenda and they create stories, but you bastards are falling for it. ESPN got their highest Sportscenter rating in 2 decades on Monday. They win, you lose.

I don't have a dog in the fight and I'm not looking for one, but I played WR at the college level (although small college) and I would be pissed if I did 99% of the work and someone else got the credit. I get how the rule reads but no way in hell Tate made that catch. To me simultaneous possession did not take place until they were both on their backs and fighting for the ball. By that time the play has concluded. The catch is completed and progression of the catch is finalized. It was in plain sight of the referees and should not have been so grey. The league had no choice but to back up the replacement refs. No way they would come out and go against the call. If they did just imagine the sh*t storm that would have erupted, but they did say the offensive pass interference sould have been called. Thanks but no thanks. The 99% to 1% thinking reminds me of some of the other thinking that is going on in this country. Where is the logical thinking at. Everything is not always black and white. Just my two cents.

Now give to me.

I don't have a dog in the fight and I'm not looking for one, but I played WR at the college level (although small college) and I would be pissed if I did 99% of the work and someone else got the credit. I get how the rule reads but no way in hell Tate made that catch. To me simultaneous possession did not take place until they were both on their backs and fighting for the ball. By that time the play has concluded.

Too bad your opinion isn't what the NFL rules state.

Even your closeup shows that Tate's right arm catches Jenning's right wrist. There was nothing simultaneous about that catch or control. But enough - what's done is done. Hopefully, we see you in the playoffs.

Tate's right hand is irrelevelant; the ball was caught with his left hand before Jennings grabs the ball. Thus, simultaneous possession. See you in January!

You cannot catch a ball with one finger. It is not simultaneous touching - it's simultaneous possesssion. HTH

You act as though they cannot be just as stupid, and/or thrown off by the stupidity of the position they were put into. This play should not have had to be reviewed at all (a major penalty took place to even make it possible) - and quite frankly the NFL has screwed up its own rules in their attempt to 'improve' things, they have made 'the perfect' the enemy of 'the good'. If a play is reviewable, all circumstances which led to the play should be reviewable - including the ridiculous non-call O PI.

None worse than that MNF game. You'd have thought that the NFL would have put their best people on that game. If that was their best, Goodell should be fired.

Most of the media and public has now shifted their opinions, and either believe it was a catch or inconclusive. Because they are applying intelligence to the situation based on visual evidence, not knee jerk reactions by a bunch of jerks.

Further, what people seem to forget is that Tate broke into a doughnut shop at night a few years ago. He is a thief with sticky fingers. There is no chance in hell that he didn't maintain dual possession when players hit the ground, ala the Calvin Johnson rule. Tate scored a TD. There is no evidence that says it wasn't. Therefore, the call defaults to dual possession.

Seahawks won. Packers lost :pointstosky:

Packer fans should just be thankful it wasn't a playoff game. Worse calls have happened to teams that have cost them playoff games. Week 4 can't get here fast enough so we can move on.

'nuf said

Tate's right hand is irrelevelant; the ball was caught with his left hand before Jennings grabs the ball. Thus, simultaneous possession. See you in January!

His right hand? here's a picture of his right hand and the left, both around the ball when the TD was signaled.

Tate is wearing the gloves with the white stripes down each side. Both of his hands are right around the ball, Jennings

obviously has both arms over the ball. None of this fingertips or grabbing Jennings arm stuff. Can finally see it

from another angle.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/files/2012/09/Golden-Tate-catch.jpg

All Jennings had to do was yell "FIRST!!!!" and this whole thing would have been avoided.

I would have left the stadium pissed off. Walked to Jack n The Box for my free Jumbo Jack and drank myself into a stupor while watching the game on DVR once I got home.

The rules are so mucked up now with the hold "process of the catch" garbage so ripping this apart and analyzing it to death is useless. And we've seen over an over that possession only counts after the player has caught the ball, hit the ground, stood up after play is over and gone to the sidelines to get some gatorade while still possessing the ball. By the time they hit the ground in this play, both players had both of their hands on the ball. That's what the refs saw and called it as such. At first I thought it was absolutely ridiculous, but after seeing some pics, Tate did have both hands on the ball when they hit the ground.

The whole game was an absolute mess and for all the Packers fans that are b1tching and moaning, on the last drive that GB scored there were a half of dozen holding penalties that were not called to the point I posted in the middle of the game that it was fixed for GB. And a lot of other people were posting that too as the game was going on.

The game was officiated horribly, but at the end of the day, unless you analyze the entire game play by play in slo-mo, no one can say that the officiating cost one side or the other because the whole thing was a complete circus. And GB didn't play well enough the entire game to win. And they lost. The end.