Sign in to follow this  
chroniciguana

Getting ahead of the mob on Javid Best

Jahvid Best is likely to be cleared and return by the end of the month. The most recent press on the guy is from September 19 and says nothing other than he's coming back. He's owned in 25 to 30 percent of all leagues, a big number for a guy who hasn't played in more than a year.

Trying to get ahead of the mob on this one. His return likely won't go unnoticed as the date approaches, the hype spools up and he starts to vanish from the WW. Presuming he's good to go, what's his impact likely to be? Do the Lions make Best the primary back or do we wind up with yet another RBBC situation? Do his owners ride the hype wave and sell him off before he dons the pads, or is he going to be a producer worthy of a weekly start?

If you're a Best owner, what's your thinking? If not, would you want to be?

I owned Best last year. I really don't understand what the excitement is about. Imagine Kevin Smith like numbers (except more catches, same amount of yards) but instead of leg injuries, they're head injuries.

20-50 total yards maybe an occasional td....at best. And now he has competition in the backfield.

He's more valuable in PPR, but even then I'd temper expectations. I''ll also state the obvious: 1 head hit away from retirement.

This is not the WW gold you're expecting.

As to how I think it shakes out?

They drafted Leshoure because they weren't sold on Best to

A. Stay healthy

B. To get the tough yards

C. Goaline toughness lacking

When or IF he comes back, I'd expect Leshoure to be the #1, getting spelled by Smith on occasion & Best being more of the 3rd down/speciality RB on pass plays mainly.

He will clearly generate hype (they do need something to write about), so his ownership will undoubtedly go up. At least one "Ridin' the Javid Best train to glory" post is a gimme. I tend to side with you, but a few upbeat quotes from the coaching staff - even if they are lying - is all it takes for Rotoworld and their kin to trigger a stampede on the guy. Perception matters. In the real world, however, I can't say the Lions will or won't glue the ball to his hands. I'm in a situation where I either dump him out of necessity or continue to tie up my IR spot and wonder if the guy will have any value in the next few weeks, real or imagined.

I owned Best last year. I really don't understand what the excitement is about. Imagine Kevin Smith like numbers (except more catches, same amount of yards) but instead of leg injuries, they're head injuries.

20-50 total yards maybe an occasional td....at best. And now he has competition in the backfield.

He's more valuable in PPR, but even then I'd temper expectations. I''ll also state the obvious: 1 head hit away from retirement.

Best was #10 in standard PPG year. He was an absolute stud until he got hurt.

If he returns, and somehow manages to stay healthy, I think he has every chance to be Detroits Sproles.

As to how I think it shakes out?

They drafted Leshoure because they weren't sold on Best to

A. Stay healthy

B. To get the tough yards

C. Goaline toughness lacking

When or IF he comes back, I'd expect Leshoure to be the #1, getting spelled by Smith on occasion & Best being more of the 3rd down/speciality RB on pass plays mainly.

they drafted Leshoure to be the thunder in their offense no because they werent sold on Best, Best is small, and has a history of concussions, they were preparing to be without him not to replace him

you obviously dont follow the Lions that closely, cause Smith isnt even an option at any point right now, and I dont understand why

they drafted Leshoure to be the thunder in their offense no because they werent sold on Best, Best is small, and has a history of concussions, they were preparing to be without him not to replace him

you obviously dont follow the Lions that closely, cause Smith isnt even an option at any point right now, and I dont understand why

Ya, someone in that organization clearly hate Kevin Smith.

I added him ahead of the bandwagon in one league and am hoping the hype holds off a few weeks in another as I have a ton out on byes and cannot sacrifice a roster spot. He is definitely worth a PPR league flyer for a flex spot or bye week/spot starter. Agree though that he is one hit away from being done ala Austin Collie.

I had to drop Best yesterday due to L.Moore and K.Britt out this week as well as bye weeks. I have Leshoure and wanted to add Best as insurance for whatever that's worth.

As for last year, Best was having a good year before his 100th concussion, especially in PPR leagues.

He's worth a spot at the end of your roster if you have the space. If he can keep from getting knocked out he could surprise. It's not like Loushure is a special and unique talent or anything.

He's worth a spot at the end of your roster if you have the space. If he can keep from getting knocked out he could surprise. It's not like Loushure is a special and unique talent or anything.

Yeah I agree and Leshoure is already banged up. I think Best could surprise if he can stay healthy in a PPR league, but just in case I'd have Bell on your roster who's looked very good in limited playing time.

As stated above cut bait on Smith, he's the 4th RB in line and a non-factor going forward.

I think Best could surprise if he can stay healthy...

I think we need a stronger word than "surprise" there. I understand the Catholic church has provisions in place to auto-declare a miracle if Best makes it through two games.

I think best fits the rbbc approach in DET with Lesoure. He should take on a sproles type role. PPR monster worse case senario. They may chance running more against softer Defenses. I drafted him late with the notion that he would provide my team ( as stated above) . He's a risk for sure but what player isn't in fantasy land?

Just to be clear, I've never been super-bullish on the whole "he's injury prone" concept.

But this is a special case. Best, in college, took probably the single worst ten-megaton wallop to the head that I've ever seen, and ever since, has missed six months at a clip every time somebody breathes too hard in the vicinity of his helmet. He's not "injury prone" or an "injury risk." He's an injury guarantee. He's not "fragile." He's broken. Guy has no future in the NFL.

Just to be clear, I've never been super-bullish on the whole "he's injury prone" concept.

But this is a special case. Best, in college, took probably the single worst ten-megaton wallop to the head that I've ever seen, and ever since, has missed six months at a clip every time somebody breathes too hard in the vicinity of his helmet. He's not "injury prone" or an "injury risk." He's an injury guarantee. He's not "fragile." He's broken. Guy has no future in the NFL.

Then there's this

Nice vid, but it's not like that was last year, and he had rebuilt knee.

Oh wait.

Yeah, he's on my roster.

This post is like an hour old, so I assume Best is concussed by now.

lmfao......so awesome

lmfao......so awesome

I'm not sure I get the pessimism here. Yes he's a injury risk but for what you can get get him (peanuts) I don't see why you don't pick him up.

Stash him on the end of your bench if he doesn't work out it's not like you invested alot in him to begin with. If he does work out then you made a great profit margin on your pickup.

Risk is low, potential reward is medium to high.

the lions are not really a good running team. they move the ball mainly thru the air.

you take a risk playing any of their rbs.

the lions are not really a good running team. they move the ball mainly thru the air.

you take a risk playing any of their rbs.

That's exactly what makes Jahvid appealing. He is a much better schematic fit than LeShoure is.

So basically you disagreed using exactly what I said as your argument....Brilliant.

That's exactly what makes Jahvid appealing. He is a much better schematic fit than LeShoure is.

he only has a chance to score by breaking a long one. hell they even throw a lot around the goal line

and if not it will be leshoure in short and goal opportunities. I think best is a reach.

I'm not sure I get the pessimism here. Yes he's a injury risk but for what you can get get him (peanuts) I don't see why you don't pick him up.

Stash him on the end of your bench if he doesn't work out it's not like you invested alot in him to begin with. If he does work out then you made a great profit margin on your pickup.

Well I can't speak for everybody else, but I don't play in leagues with 30 bench spots, I generally play with either 5 or 6 roster slots. At this point in the season, I just don't have room to pick up every longshot pipe dream some guy on FFT gets an erection for every week. I already have guys like Hartline, LeShoure, Mendenhall, Benson etc., guys I either drafted or picked up weeks ago. I'm not just going to cut these guys for the Ryan Williams and James Starks of the world, who FFT goes nuts over.

A good trick is to see if FFT is going crazy over some wire pickup beforehand. If they are, it means the guy probably sucks and won't pan out. If they just don't notice the guy at all, then it usually means you should grab him fast. Mendenhall will probably blow up since people on here hate him so much.

Well I can't speak for everybody else, but I don't play in leagues with 30 bench spots, I generally play with either 5 or 6 roster slots. At this point in the season, I just don't have room to pick up every longshot pipe dream some guy on FFT gets an erection for every week. I already have guys like Hartline, LeShoure, Mendenhall, Benson etc., guys I either drafted or picked up weeks ago. I'm not just going to cut these guys for the Ryan Williams and James Starks of the world, who FFT goes nuts over.

A good trick is to see if FFT is going crazy over some wire pickup beforehand. If they are, it means the guy probably sucks and won't pan out. If they just don't notice the guy at all, then it usually means you should grab him fast. Mendenhall will probably blow up since people on here hate him so much.

Mendenhall will probably not blow up because he's garbage and their o-line can't block. And what kind of league do you play in that Williams is a FA? I know that question is way overused but Williams' ownership is pretty high. Not that AZ's o-line can block either.

This.

I have him and got him for nothing off the waiver wire a couple of weeks ago. In a weird twist of FF God humor, It was Collie I cut to make room for him. I have room and already have a RB 1, 2, and 3 so I just stash him on the end of the bench and wait and see what happens. There's big upside here and no risk. The worst thing that happens is he gives himself a concussion putting on his helmet for the first time. So what?

The league is 12 teams and goes 18 deep. The next three best players on the WW are LaFell, Young, and Cassel. It's not like I'm heartbroken about leaving them there. Those guys would be chained to the bench as well for two weeks making his zero, about as useful on my bench as their 4,3, and 7 would be.

Come weeks 9/10 Best may be putting up consistent 18s while they're still putting up 4s 3s and 7s. Now one of them may catch fire here in weeks five and six, but I like Best's chance of catching fire come week seven as 10x greater than any of theirs which is why he's on my roster.

He's fully healthy, he's been in all the meetings, he's anxious to play, he has fresh legs. I have room and if he puts up zeros, I don't care. If/when I cut him, there'll still be another player of the LaFell, Young, or Cassel of the garden variety recycled trash to pick through anyways.

Serpent hit the nail here - DEPENDS on your bench/waiver process.

If your bench is huge and/or wavers are limitless then yeah - grab him and see if you can get any production or trade value before he's skull-focked again.

I compare this situation to Austin Collie's. Guys just don't know when to throw in the towel. Neither guy can walk across the street without a doctors note. Like the previous poster said. Both guys will be vegetables by the time they're 50.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Sunday Countdown that the Lions are "hopeful" Jahvid Best (concussions, PUP) will be ready to play in Week 7 against the Bears, a Monday Night Football game.

Schefter cautioned that the Lions don't know anything for sure, but this is the hope for now. Best will go through a battery of concussion tests this week, at which point the organization will have a better idea of his true return timetable. It sounds like he could return to the lineup immediately if he passes the testing with flying colors. Best would likely assume a fairly significant role behind struggling Mikel Leshoure, playing a Sprolesian role. He's worth grabbing in all fantasy leagues as a "stash" to see what happens.

They just had on ESPN that he has not been cleared yet a year after his concussion. Will have to go to the doctors next week and will only get off the PUP if a concensus of doctors clears him.

My opinion ofcourse if you have some bench room yeah what the hey but hes kind of done really. Hes a hit away from being in big trouble . If the guy cant get clearance a year later maybe he needs to worry more about his life and not football. I feel sorry for the one doctor that clears him and he gets hurt again.

I compare this situation to Austin Collie's. Guys just don't know when to throw in the towel. Neither guy can walk across the street without a doctors note. Like the previous poster said. Both guys will be vegetables by the time they're 50.

Would you rather work at walmart for 50 more years or play the sport you love and be filthy rich for 20?

My opinion is he's 100%. The concussion was over a year ago. I picked him 3 weeks ago in the league he was available. I expect very good numbers in ppr leagues out of Best.

Would you rather work at walmart for 50 more years or play the sport you love and be filthy rich for 20?

I doubt I'd love it much being forced to play for a coach and having it as my business. If I could select a sport to play for a career, I'd pick Tennis, and that's what I'd want my kids to play, even though I barely watch that sport.

Football is a violent sport and at the NFL level simply leads to too many injuries for too little pay for most players. Collie and Best haven't really banked a lot, but I guess it's enough to retire off of. After a certain amount it's just to fuel your ego rather than money you need to live the rest of your life. Anywhere from $2mm to $5mm is more than enough to live the rest of your life living off the interest, especially if you have a home owned outright etc.

I am in a PPR league and I picked up BEST. I will take my chances he can stay healthy, and if he does, ka-boom! He is capable of going off each game, if it isn't running, it's catching.

So what did I lose to stash him? JRodgers of Atl. Yawn!