Sign in to follow this  
jrbdmb

Thursday Night Football sucks

Is Thursday Night NFL a good thing?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Is Thursday Night NFL a good thing?

• Yes, it's the best thing ever.
    • Great for football fans, bad for fantasy.
    • Great for fantasy football, bad for football fans.
    • It's crap all around, get rid of it.

Thursday Night Football sucks ... both because it is just weird watching the NFL on a Thursday night, and it creates multiple fantasy headaches.

My issues with just this week:

1. I have to start three of Roddy White, Harvin, Welker, and Antonio Brown. Normally I'd just pick the first three and go, but the Pats listed Welker as Ques. yesterday - my guess is he's fine, but now I almost have to start Brown tonight in case Welker is really banged up. Having to guess injury status three days before the Sunday games sucks.

2. Due to the short turnaround, Locker is out for Tenn. and I'm expecting Mendenhall to have limited touches for Pitt. If they were playing on Sunday as normal the situation with these players could be quite different.

And IMHO, Thursday nights don't really work - it just doesn't have the same feel as a good Sunday or Monday night game.

Memo to NFL - ditch the Thursday night games and either play a late Saturday night game or just move the game back to Sunday.

/end of rant

It's better than anythin gon TV, any night of the week, so yeah, it's the best thing ever.

Got a link where Mendenhall is getting limited touches ?

I've read nothing like that, only the opposite...I think WorthlessBurger said "their Savior is back"....more than Tasty a start tonight for all Steelers offense.

From a fantasy perspective it blows, from a football standpoint I like it. One thing is for sure, there just ain't no making some people happy. For years and years fans across the country have cried and whined about the unfair advantage Detroit and Dallas had getting to play on Thanksgiving Thursday. Now that all teams are basically eligible to do so, some aren't happy with that - go figure.

For fantasy it def sucks. I can see having another game to watch but I agree it doesn't feel the same as a Monday night game.

Further every player I have started on Thursday has ###### the bed. Last Thurs I lost Amendola and Ryan Williams, with the Zona D and Zuerlein did nothing.

Expect a turd from Heath Miller.

For fantasy it def sucks. I can see having another game to watch but I agree it doesn't feel the same as a Monday night game.

Further every player I have started on Thursday has ###### the bed. Last Thurs I lost Amendola and Ryan Williams, with the Zona D and Zuerlein did nothing.

Expect a turd from Heath Miller.

Damn dude, same here. Excpet I got Miller, Brown, and I HAVE to start CJ?K tonigh too...FML! :wall:

I went with crap and crap. It's obviously crap for fantasy. For regular, I don't see how it helps teams -- I'm a Cards fan, and they had to travel 3 hours with a 2 hour time change to St. Louis; basically lost a day, which left them two to prepare. It's bad for the NFL product. Unless they could figure out a way to schedule the Thursday games after teams' byes.

I like it since it's something to watch on a Thursday night but for the fantasy football aspect it's a travesty. Like another poster said, if someone is questionable on Wednesday for a Sunday game then you have to gamble on a lesser player that is healthy on Thursday. Also, if your player puts up a dud on Thursday, you have to agonize for 3 days while second guessing your logic.

I can't imagine players like having to play 4 days after their previous game. Thursday games should be reserved for teams coming off of a bye that way they've had ample time to rest & recover.

If you think having an extra day of NFL on tv sucks...you must be a fvcking loser

I think it is a advantage for some fantasy owners , example if the guy I'm playing scores a few points I say pat with my normal roster , he scores None or a butt load I feel like i can take more chance's . I know doesn't make alot of sense but I get it.

It's better than anythin gon TV, any night of the week, so yeah, it's the best thing ever.

Got a link where Mendenhall is getting limited touches ?

I've read nothing like that, only the opposite...I think WorthlessBurger said "their Savior is back"....more than Tasty a start tonight for all Steelers offense.

how can you be so obtuse?

I posted you a link in your condescending little response in the other mendenhall thread. pull your head and try this neat little thing called "google".

back to the matter at hand...it's not good for FF, but it's not bad either. More days of NFL football is definitely better. Hell, I like it when there's Thurs, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games.

It sucks. It sucks even beyond screwing up fantasy schedules and waiver wires. I want every game to start at noon on Sunday. And I want them on network television that doesn't require a cable subscription.

I refuse to cave in and give the NFL money to support their stupid channel. It's just the NFL's next step in monetizing every game individually. Expect to buy every game you want to watch on pay-per-view in the future.

The Thursday game may as well not even exist as far as I'm concerned.

Um.. I like watching Thursday Night Football as long as the girlfriend let's me. :unsure:

It definitely changes the definition of a " short week" . I can se how the players might not like it. Also, as a hawks fan, I was prepared to complain about how both Dallas and green bay had extra time to rest and prepare before coming te Seattle, but it worked out ok.

Sucks for the health of the players on short weeks. Sucks for being able to watch games on Thursday nights unless you have NFL cable. Sucks for having to make ffl player decisions early in the week... I think you get my theme here...

I don't like it but it has a lot to do with going to bed at 7:30 at night. I actually just would rather it be on Sunday and Monday.

One of the concerns I have is the NFL trying to expand the game too much. There are talks of putting a team in London and Mexico. I really don't think they will get away with putting one in Mexico but London is a possibility. I think it would be one of the biggest mistakes the NFL has ever made if they did this. The fan base just isn't there, and I could see many people rebelling against the NFL for trying to cut into the other "football." Goddell wanted to put NFL into the Olympics after all. I don't trust this dude to lead our NFL into the right direction.

how can you be so obtuse?

I posted you a link in your condescending little response in the other mendenhall thread. pull your head and try this neat little thing called "google".

back to the matter at hand...it's not good for FF, but it's not bad either. More days of NFL football is definitely better. Hell, I like it when there's Thurs, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games.

When was ur news from ?

I think mendy was as "limited" last Sunday for a humdy and a td.

And Dwyer is inactive

Keep pushing mendy down cause u don't have him

Rest of us

START HIM

BOT

Like the other poster said

If I don't like nfl on Thursday ur a fvcking loser

i think with DVR it doesn really matter. if you dont like it on thursday night, record it and watch it another time.

personally, i work my ass off during the week, and like having 3 days of football throughout it. I think it keeps me from snapping and going on a shooting spree

It also sucks for making trades. I had a possible give Jonathan Stewart for Chris Johnson deal but it didn't have time to get done b/c of the Thurs night game.

i think with DVR it doesn really matter. if you dont like it on thursday night, record it and watch it another time.

personally, i work my ass off during the week, and like having 3 days of football throughout it. I think it keeps me from snapping and going on a shooting spree

Eek. Do I dare ask what happens in the offseason?

When was ur news from ?

I think mendy was as "limited" last Sunday for a humdy and a td.

And Dwyer is inactive

Keep pushing mendy down cause u don't have him

Rest of us

START HIM

BOT

Like the other poster said

If I don't like nfl on Thursday ur a fvcking loser

6 carries for 6 yards, and he's riding the bench even though the Steelers are behind and Redman is hurt.

NFL Network just said Achilles injury - sure the short week didn't help. Now it looks like you are the loser this week.

As for the game itself, both teams playing like crap - which is typical for these Thursday games. Not enough time to recover and prepare usually means a terrible game on Thursday.

I may be in the minority here, but I like what they have done Week One the past few seasons and have a double-header on Monday Nights. Have the early game start @7pm, and the late one (west coast obviously) at 10:15ish. Eliminate Thurs Night games altogether.

As someone stated earlier, IF we must have Thursday Night games, BOTH teams should come off a bye so that all things are equal or at least as much as possible. For instance...when BAL played NE Sun Night week 3 and had to play CLE fours day later, it is my opinion that this scheduling nearly cost them the game. I mean, come on. When BAL goes to CLE week 9... This time after a bye, I expect and will wager heavily on a different outcome.

The quality of the games has been pretty lackluster for the most part. I think I could get on board if the games were better, but they've not. Get rid of it.

I don't like it but it has a lot to do with going to bed at 7:30 at night. I actually just would rather it be on Sunday and Monday.

One of the concerns I have is the NFL trying to expand the game too much. There are talks of putting a team in London and Mexico. I really don't think they will get away with putting one in Mexico but London is a possibility. I think it would be one of the biggest mistakes the NFL has ever made if they did this. The fan base just isn't there, and I could see many people rebelling against the NFL for trying to cut into the other "football." Goddell wanted to put NFL into the Olympics after all. I don't trust this dude to lead our NFL into the right direction.

100% agree - football is a SUNDAY thing. thats what Sundays are for. The Monday night game, while not always my favorite is at least bearable and has been around for a while. Everything you mentioned is a huge concern. Roger Goodell is the worst commish ever. Focking guy is trying every way possible to dumb the sport down, overexpose it, stuff games on Tuesday afternoons & other weeknights, playing games in Pakistan or wherevere, etc, etc. What a focklick that guy is. This Thursday stuff not only hurts the fantasy aspect buit also the teams that have such a short week. Its one thing to play a few games late in the year on Thursday. I didnt like it but it wasnt so onerous. This though.....bunch of BS.

Not to mention how lousy the NFL network presentation is. Terrible announcers, terrible everything. The games are generally lame though so noone is missing anything.

Goodell has to go. :thumbsdown:

I hate having guys play on Thursday but i love the Thursday games. It shortens the week. Only if we could have Fridays and Saturdays shortened to maybe 12 hours each.

Monday-Monday night football

Tuesday-updated standings and do research on what players to claim and work on trades

Wednesday-waiver wire results and can add and drop freely

Thursday-Thursday Night Football

Friday-waiting for Sunday

Saturday-waiting for Sunday

Sunday-RED ZONE TIME :banana: :pointstosky:

:cheers:

Maybe I'm guilty of romanticizing the past, but it seems like Monday night games used to be one of the most entertaining games most weeks. It was like teams really raised their level when they were in that showcase game. Now, these Monday and Thursday night games don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of intensity. Even last night's game that was decided on the last play was pretty sleep-inducing for the most part. Maybe playing in prime-time is just not the big deal that it once was for these teams. I could certainly do without it. Play on Sunday.

Maybe I'm guilty of romanticizing the past, but it seems like Monday night games used to be one of the most entertaining games most weeks. It was like teams really raised their level when they were in that showcase game. Now, these Monday and Thursday night games don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of intensity. Even last night's game that was decided on the last play was pretty sleep-inducing for the most part. Maybe playing in prime-time is just not the big deal that it once was for these teams. I could certainly do without it. Play on Sunday.

Fantasy Football has ruined watching games for me. I no longer care about the outcome, only if certain players do well. Even if the Patriots lose, im soon placated by Reggie Wayne going for 12 rec and 150 yds or Arian Foster rushing for 125 yds and 2 tds in another game. Instead of one game being important to me, they now all are. I get much more amped up for college games now.

Well damn near every game is a nationally televised game now with the emergence of Sunday Ticket.

I find myself a little less concerned with how the Bears do each week with fantasy football becoming a larger part of my entertainment. I mean I still care what happens but it doesn't affect me as much or as long after a defeat. This may be attributed to how much I effing work since I haven't been able to watch an entire game yet, but there is definitely a difference.

The quality of the games has been pretty lackluster for the most part. I think I could get on board if the games were better, but they've not. Get rid of it.

The leauge is full of parity now, and as long at it remains so you will have no way of predicting which games will deliver punch and which ones will not.

The leauge is full of parity now, and as long at it remains so you will have no way of predicting which games will deliver punch and which ones will not.

And therein lies the real problem with the NFL right now. Some people enjoy the complete randomness of it now but I dont. There are easily four teams too many and rampant free agency accomplishes very little except to cause teams to overpay for players(Mario Williams is a great example). Id like to see the NFL get back to 28 teams, start working with colleges to better prepare QBs for the NFL instead of playing chicken-ass college style offenses, and make it cheaper/less of a cap hit for teams to retain current players.

And dump the Thursday games....