Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

RGIII

May require surgery. source: ESPN

Edited by Mike FF Today
Injury update

Hate to put this writing, but maybe Tebow as the back up in DC?

Why? You still have Cousins and Sexy Rexy (I feel dirty about mentioning Rex as a QB).

Why? You still have Cousins and Sexy Rexy (I feel dirty about mentioning Rex as a QB).

Cousins may be gone after year 2 - just someone else able to at least make the spread option functional if RG3 is not in field.

If RG3 is out for beginning of season, then I'm ok with Cousins..

Rg3 undraftable next year. Maybe the rest of his career too, his knees are like Joan Rivers face already. It was fun while it lasted, thanks for the memories.

Rg3 undraftable next year. Maybe the rest of his career too, his knees are like Joan Rivers face already. It was fun while it lasted, thanks for the memories.

Woohoo, 5th round QB draft ahoy! This is like picking Rodgers his second year!

Running 'QB' = Failure

I don't know... Aaron Rodgers does well for himself.

It is just knowing when to run and how to take a hit.

I don't know... Aaron Rodgers does well for himself.

It is just knowing when to run and how to take a hit.

Rodgers is really good at turning away from the big hit and avoiding it just enough to not take serious damage. But he wasn't always like that, he missed a few games his first couple of years. More than RG3 actually iirc. The big issue with Rodgers early on was in fact his injury risk. But memories are short.

Rodgers is really good at turning away from the big hit and avoiding it just enough to not take serious damage. But he wasn't always like that, he missed a few games his first couple of years. More than RG3 actually iirc. The big issue with Rodgers early on was in fact his injury risk. But memories are short.

Rodgers hurt his knee or ankle (I believe) in relief of Favre once. And then he was concussed on a sack (against the Skins I believe). He has never been one to run into linebackers at full gait, like Vick or RG3 have been know to do. I don't know if Rodgers was ever a heavy injury risk, outside the number of times he is sacked.

Rodgers hurt his knee or ankle (I believe) in relief of Favre once. And then he was concussed on a sack (against the Skins I believe). He has never been one to run into linebackers at full gait, like Vick or RG3 have been know to do. I don't know if Rodgers was ever a heavy injury risk, outside the number of times he is sacked.

The year after Vick's big year, and the year Rodgers re-wrote NFL history books, Rodgers actually was a late 1st rounder precisely because of injury concerns. That bum Vick was going before him. Obviously history shows us the irony of that, but that's how it was. Am I really the only one that remembers this? Every draft it seemingly was the same.

Surgery on LCL, will determine damage to ACL at that time.

In other words... "Everything looks like a mess in there. To buy some time with the fan base, we'll only admit to the LCL surgery. But, everything is pretty jacked up in there."

In other words... "Everything looks like a mess in there. To buy some time with the fan base, we'll only admit to the LCL surgery. But, everything is pretty jacked up in there."

I don't see how they don't have to do surgery on the ACL as well. Whether new or old they're still tears. When the LCL tears probably the ACL tears too, these ligaments are all close together and when one is compromised the others generally have to work harder, and then are likely to tear too.

Maybe now he will finally start sliding. Vick also refused to slide. I always thought Vick was an idiot for refusing to slide. It looks like RG3 is likewise also an idiot. Wilson and Kaepernick already slide all the time and take minimal damage as a result. It isn't something that takes years to learn. RG3 is being intentionally stupid and will end up just like Vick if he insists on being so stupid. And this is from someone that does like the guy.

Probably he will miss half or all of next season. Kirk Cousins with a half season will either take the starting job or open himself to being traded for a bounty of draft picks. I doubt they trade RG3, how can you? But it will likely turn out that they should have unloaded him, because the idiot won't slide.

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of @RGIII's 2009 surgery is complete tear

Mort per Twitter..

Given his work ethic and the timetable they're spelling out, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him under center by the start of the regular season. On the other hand, his knee is probably a disaster area as this is his second time under the knife. While he might be physically good to go, he's going to have to overcome the mental part that comes with this injury. You're always thinking about the knee regardless of the assurances you get from the doctors. If it pops again, RG3 likely knows the career's over. I doubt we have to worry too much about him sliding.

Given his work ethic and the timetable they're spelling out, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him under center by the start of the regular season. On the other hand, his knee is probably a disaster area as this is his second time under the knife. While he might be physically good to go, he's going to have to overcome the mental part that comes with this injury. You're always thinking about the knee regardless of the assurances you get from the doctors. If it pops again, RG3 likely knows the career's over. I doubt we have to worry too much about him sliding.

per Mort and Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Robert Griffin III will undergo a full knee reconstruction after Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Griffin with "complete" tears of both his right ACL and LCL.

Griffin's return timetable has been set at 6-8 months, the normal recovery period for an ACL reconstruction. Griffin will undergo surgery early Wednesday morning. At Baylor, Griffin did bounce back from 2009 ACL surgery to complete 67 percent of his passes with a 22:8 TD-to-INT ratio and eight rushing scores in 2010. "He should be ready for the 2013 regular season opener according to the sources that I spoke with," Mortensen stated on SportsCenter. Although Griffin's recovery will certainly be worth tracking all offseason, ACL surgeries don't bother us as much as they used to. Assuming he avoids setbacks, Griffin's could even stand to make him a value pick in 2013 fantasy drafts.

I am shocked they couldn't see complete tears on a MRI... (We need a sarcasm font}

That said I really hope Skip Bayless feels like a moron.

I think he always feels like a moron and is trying to overcompensate, hence why he acts the way he does.

More info per Bleacher Report:

Robert Griffin III Reportedly Set to Undergo Knee Surgery

By Richard Langford

(Featured Columnist) on January 8, 2013

It is worse than originally thought. Dynamic rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III is reportedly undergoing complete reconstructive surgery for ACL and LCL tears.ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported the news via Twitter early Wednesday morning. The projected recovery time for this type of surgery is six to eight months, according to Mortensen:

"Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos."

— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) January 9, 2013

Griffin's recovery will be the most talked about and speculated event of the offseason. How will it affect his continued presence in the league and effectiveness as a mobile quarterback? Will he rebound as quickly as Adrian Peterson and come back better than ever? Mortensen also confirmed that Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery early on Wednesday morning and that it is a complete tear of the graft that held his knee together after a 2009 knee injury at Baylor:

"Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of @rgiii's 2009 surgery is complete tear"

— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) January 9, 2013

SportsCenter passed along the initial news on Tuesday, via NFL insider Adam Schefter:

Source: RG III expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL. At that time damage to his ACL will be reviewed (via @adamschefter)

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 8, 2013

Obviously, a great deal of his recovery time hinges on what they find with the ACL. Recoveries from knee injuries are always going to vary, and this is a player who already had an ACL tear while in college, which is likely why doctors are having a hard time figuring out the extent of the damage to his ACL now. As the season came to a close, RGIII was nursing a right-knee injury that he initially sustained in Week 14 versus Baltimore, and it ultimately forced him from the Redskins' 24-14 playoff loss to the Seahawks. He looked fairly strong to start Sunday's playoff game, but he tweaked the injury while performing a quick stop and throw, and he was limping badly after. Then Griffin's knee noticeably buckled in the second half as he tried to make a quick lateral move to recover a poor snap. He instantly fell to the turf and remained there for several moments. He was able to get off the field under his own power and stuck around the sidelines as the game concluded, but there were no doubts that his knee was not right. Mike Shanahan made the call to leave Griffin in, and he has come under intense fire for doing so. News of this surgery is not going to help that. For his sake, and football fans everywhere, hopefully the ACL is not also torn.

The biggie there is that it's a complete tear of a previously repaired ligament. I'm wondering if this kid ever plays the same way again.

More info per Bleacher Report:

The biggie there is that it's a complete tear of a previously repaired ligament. I'm wondering if this kid ever plays the same way again.

I doubt he will ever be as fast. Interesting that Vick never got an ACL injury I believe, and he was probably the fastest player, definitely fastest QB I've ever seen. Vick's probably the best athlete to ever play QB, and it wasn't enough. RG3 should just be a pocket passer that rarely runs.

Definite hold in Dynasty, RGIII is a pocket passer, he takes the time to study someone like Steve Young. It's all over, RGIII don't have Jerrry Rice but he has a better deep ball and speed than Young.

I guy in my dynasty league traded me Brees for Ryan Mathews with the thinking was all he needs is RGIII for life. :doh: I am guessing he wants Brees back now.

:music_guitarred:

The people who are saying that RG3 will be fine because he is a good pocket passer and will just have to rely less on his running ability are in for dissapointment. His passing gets a HUGE boost from the fact that he has that running dynamic. I hear aaron Rodgers comparisons saying that hes a running qb and its fine for him, wich is ludicrous. Arod is not a running qb, he does not get anywhere near 700yds rushing, hes a mobile pocket passer. RG3s ability to take a scramble 70yds is what keeps defenses off balance enough to display his throwing skills. Def coordinators are not stupid, if he shows less burst, the gameplan changes immensely and zones tighten up. At that point you are banking on RG3 being an ELITE level passer to be a fantasy star again.

I guy in my dynasty league traded me Brees for Ryan Mathews with the thinking was all he needs is RGIII for life. :doh: I am guessing he wants Brees back now.

:music_guitarred:

:shocking:

What an idiot!

The people who are saying that RG3 will be fine because he is a good pocket passer and will just have to rely less on his running ability are in for dissapointment. His passing gets a HUGE boost from the fact that he has that running dynamic. I hear aaron Rodgers comparisons saying that hes a running qb and its fine for him, wich is ludicrous. Arod is not a running qb, he does not get anywhere near 700yds rushing, hes a mobile pocket passer. RG3s ability to take a scramble 70yds is what keeps defenses off balance enough to display his throwing skills. Def coordinators are not stupid, if he shows less burst, the gameplan changes immensely and zones tighten up. At that point you are banking on RG3 being an ELITE level passer to be a fantasy star again.

Yeah that's true, but in the new NFL it doesn't take long for a pocket QB to be serviceable. He could still potentially be a top 10 passer. He could just have the same year next year that Luck had this year, which was a solid fantasy season too.

He just drops down to the pack rather than being a top 5 option as he was this year.

Of course also he could just turn into Rodgers, since your rationale is Rodgers is Rodgers because he doesn't get 700 yards rushing, well, with that injury, either will RG3. Otherwise they are very similar in terms of arm angles, ball placement etc.

Yeah that's true, but in the new NFL it doesn't take long for a pocket QB to be serviceable. He could still potentially be a top 10 passer. He could just have the same year next year that Luck had this year, which was a solid fantasy season too.

He just drops down to the pack rather than being a top 5 option as he was this year.

Of course also he could just turn into Rodgers, since your rationale is Rodgers is Rodgers because he doesn't get 700 yards rushing, well, with that injury, either will RG3. Otherwise they are very similar in terms of arm angles, ball placement etc.

Really?

Well those are the scouting reports by experts:

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/23/cosell-talks-its-not-always-luck/

If you're just going to ignore opinions and go with your own I guess we can all just make up whatever we want and it won't matter however.

I respect your opinion but no way, Rodgers is an all time passer. I wouldn't expect rg3 to be anywhere as good with his arm and I can almost guarantee he isn't/won't be. But like u said, he just drops down to the middle of the pack, wich is meh. An rg3 w full mobutu can control the field, make 1st downs and avoid ints. Neutered rg3 will just throw more picks and slowly fade. If he could become like Mcnabb, cool, but he has the talent to be like Vick from that magic year when Kolb got hurt.

I respect your opinion but no way, Rodgers is an all time passer. I wouldn't expect rg3 to be anywhere as good with his arm and I can almost guarantee he isn't/won't be. But like u said, he just drops down to the middle of the pack, wich is meh. An rg3 w full mobutu can control the field, make 1st downs and avoid ints. Neutered rg3 will just throw more picks and slowly fade. If he could become like Mcnabb, cool, but he has the talent to be like Vick from that magic year when Kolb got hurt.

What have you seen or read that implies RG3 doesn't have an amazing arm? Elite arm strength. Elite accuracy. Elite touch. I have no clue what his career will be like, but he graded out in such a way that even without his legs, he would have been the second QB taken last year.

A black qb that can do more than just run??? Oh hell no, not in tantidiot's world! You're not only ill informed, you're also a racist and a mega moron...

HTH

Well those are the scouting reports by experts:

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/23/cosell-talks-its-not-always-luck/

If you're just going to ignore opinions and go with your own I guess we can all just make up whatever we want and it won't matter however.

:overhead: You poor sap! Now go watch ESPN.

I don't think RGIII will be the next Aaron Rodgers. They are not similar QBs.

BTW: The "Experts" didn't think Aaron Rodgers was going to be Aaron Rodgers. They didn't think Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady. They did think JaMarcus Russell was going to be the next top QB. Should I go on? :lol:

BTW: The "Experts" didn't think Aaron Rodgers was going to be Aaron Rodgers. They didn't think Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady. They did think JaMarcus Russell was going to be the next top QB. Should I go on? :lol:

Sure, I guess Luck will suck too, since they said he'd be the next John Elway. Brandon Wheeden will be the best rookie QB since everybody thinks he'll suck. Maybe Christian Ponder will become Peyton Manning.

I can only imagine how awesome Tim Tebow will be.

But yes, let's keep going on.

Too much negativity up in this thread.

I really like Griffin 3 a lot....watching him play, his leadership by example, the way he handles himself off the field. I think it would be a shame if he can't get back to 100%. I wish him all the best.

Cousins will be a very solid placeholder for Griffin. Washington got 2 great guys in last year's draft. Cousin's is quality and he may not have the natural ability Griffin does, but he's got moxey, and he's extremely smart. The Redskins will be fine with him starting.

ACL surgeries have gotten better over time based on how fast we've seen guys come back. Griffin may need to tone it down running somewhat in the future, may need to get out of bounds more or hit the deck early. He can still be a major weapon in the read-option offense. He's got a great arm and is accurate, he'll get better in that department as well. Saying a guy like him is not going to be that good for the rest of his career because of this injury is a major mistake imo.

A black qb that can do more than just run??? Oh hell no, not in tantidiot's world! You're not only ill informed, you're also a racist and a mega moron...

HTH

Im RG3s biggest fan! Eh whatev, its all speculation, im just saying I wont be drafting RG3 next year. Now go play with Christopher Robins balls.

an ACL didn't seem to effect ADP??? then again ADP isn't human. I think ADP is that 1 in 100000000 and ACL tear has no effect on.

Im RG3s biggest fan! Eh whatev, its all speculation, im just saying I wont be drafting RG3 next year. Now go play with Christopher Robins balls.

RG3 is only worth drafting late at best. He is like Vick, simply too fragile to play and possibly too stupid to slide. Even if he stays in the pocket he takes too many big hits, he seemingly has no pocket awareness. So he'd just get injured dropping back to pass.

You see guys like Kaepernick and Russell Wilson play, Wilson is only 5'11 or something but those two play safer and can actually take hits. But they do such a great job of avoiding hits that it isn't an issue.

That play that RG3 got injured against the Ravens, he was flailing his legs up like an uncoordinated spaz. Reminded me of Santonio Holmes flailing around.

The guy seems likeable and was dazzling at times, and that's one reason I would say give him the ROTY. Let him get that award since he won't be around long anyway. Luck's going to be there for his entire career, might take a few injuries like Brady and Peyton but for the most part he'll play, just ink him into the starting lineup.

RG3 the way he's going will miss a few games outright, leave early, and then play injured a few more. Then eventually the hits add up and he becomes what Vick is. Vick was way faster than RG3 is and that didn't help. Vick won't slide, and that did him in. RG3 may or may not be a better passer, it won't really matter much.

What have you seen or read that implies RG3 doesn't have an amazing arm? Elite arm strength. Elite accuracy. Elite touch. I have no clue what his career will be like, but he graded out in such a way that even without his legs, he would have been the second QB taken last year.

His numbers in known passing situations. RGIII struggled all year in 3rd and long situations where he didn't have the benefit of throwing short or to wide open receivers off play action. I believe he has the ability to become a pocket passer - very intelligent, hard worker, strong arm. But he has never been asked to do it. If he is next year, he will struggle for awhile.