Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Top 5-10 concerts you've seen in person

What made it so great?What year was it?

Enquiring minds want to know or actually I'm stuck in the office for at least a couple of hours and am bored.

• Joan Jett and the Black Hearts - during her I Love Rock and Roll tour, At the peak of her rawness I want to say 1982-ish.
  • INXS - 5,000 seat theater and everyone in the place was dancing. A great atmosphere at the height of their popularity. Again, early 1980's
  • Living Colour with Soundgarden as the opening act. This was before anyone knew who either of these bands were and to this day, Soundgarden was the heaviest band I have ever seen live. Living Colour I thought could play anything they wanted and it would have been awesome. 1987-ish

there may have been more...

Beastie Boys played a really small club in Orlando back in the 90's. They were awesome. I think Mike D spit on my hand while he was rapping and giving high fives. I haven't washed that hand since.

1.Roger Waters performs The Wall,2010 far and above the greatest I've ever seen,the special effects,the sound quality everything was perfect.

2.Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band,1981,wasn't a fan at all but had a chance to go so I went.Found out that night why he was called The Boss,played a 4 hour show with one 15 minute break,been a fan ever since.

3.Queen,1980,this was The Game Tour,I'm sure the drugs helped but the light show during Dragon Attack was :thumbsup:

4.Black Sabbath,1978,the original line-up with Ozzy and to add to it a little band just getting their legs under them called Van Halen opened for them.

5.KISS,1978,have to add this one simply for the theatrics and it didn't hurt that Judas Priest opened for them.

6.The Ramones,1988,at a club called the Baccanal in San Diego,mass hysteria.

• Joan Jett and the Black Hearts - during her I Love Rock and Roll tour, At the peak of her rawness I want to say 1982-ish.

I used to own a little deli that got hired to cater her show here in 1989,she was so cool to meet in person but her road manager was an A-1 a$$hole.

metallica- '82: old waldorf in san francisco. great show. very unpolished. a lot of raw energy.

sammy hagar- sometime around 83/84 at either the cow palace in SF/daly city or the oakland coliseum . no opening act. played for about 3-4 hrs... saw him again when he was with HSAS.

U2- '87 at the cow palace

rolling stones- early 90's at the oakland coliseum

cowboy mouth- early 90's at the filmore in SF. just a great show at a great venue.

chicago- late 80's at the oakland coliseum.

mighty mighty bostones- late 80's/early 90's. very fun show

sammy hagar- sometime around 83/84 at either the cow palace in SF/daly city or the oakland coliseum . no opening act. played for about 3-4 hrs... saw he again when he was with HSAS.

Saw him at a Summerjam in '79,he opened for The Cars,Heart and Ted Nugent and definitely held his own against each of them.In fact someone in the crowd had a large sign that read Ted's the best fock the rest,Sammy saw this and says,Ted may be the best but I'm Sammy Hagar and fock you too and proceeded to tear into Bad Motor Scooter.

1968 Jimi Hendrix – No explanation needed, I was blown away!

1972 The Rolling Stones STP tour – Exile on Main Street / Bobby Keys

1972 The Who - saw them in Amsterdam, almost died in a “Cincinnati Crush” / Keith Moon

197? – Jerry Jeff Walker – First row table at a dinner theater in a 250 seat venue.

1981 Bruce Springsteen – 4 hour concert / back stage passes

Haven't been to as many concerts as many people here I'm sure and a lot of them have been smaller bands / venues.

Luna isn't a band I like a whole lot of record but they put on a tremendous rock show live. I saw them 3 times in the 90s and every time they were great.

The one that really leaps out though was Lee Perry and Mad Professor while tripping on acid at the TLA in Philly back in '95 or so, one of the most psychedelic concerts and experiences I've ever had.

Saw him at a Summerjam in '79,he opened for The Cars,Heart and Ted Nugent and definitely held his own against each of them.In fact someone in the crowd had a large sign that read Ted's the best fock the rest,Sammy saw this and says,Ted may be the best but I'm Sammy Hagar and fock you too and proceeded to tear into Bad Motor Scooter.

while i kind of see him as a clown these days, he is still a talent. very solid, under the radar music

1) Whitesnake, 1990. Pure 80's metal awesome. Coverdale, Vendenberg, Campbell, Sarzo, Aldridge. So many good songs, so well done. Guitar solos, drum solo, Coverdale wailing - it was freaking fantastic. Back them it wasn't about just the lead sin

2) Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood tour: Before they turned into asshats, in their prime when Vince was in shape and could actually sing all the words. Opened with the guitar 'motor' intro from Kickstart My Heart playing to a blank black stage, when the drums kicked it they rose up out of the floor to explosions. From that directly into Red Hot and then Wild Side. For Tommy's drum solo, he had a cage with a kit, surrounded by huge speaker cones suspended 50 ft in the air on a track. Rather than do normal spazzy drum solo stuff, all he did was play along with classic rock/metal tracks that were cut together as the kit traversed the ceiling of the venue. It kicked ass.

3) Tool, 2010ish: Stage had a riser across the back: Adam Jones stood in the front left corner, Justin sat in a chair in the front right corner, Danny on his kit in the back middle. None of them moved from their spots the entire show. Maynard spend the entire show in the back to the right of Danny, never leaving his little space but jumping around and writhing like a looney. The entire front/middle of the stage was just empty the entire show - and it was freaking awesome. It was all about the music and the mood set by the light show, ebbing and flowing from track to track. It was like being in one of those planetarium rock shows but with a live band. It's the only way to see Tool.

4) Monsters of Rock: 80's in Giants Stadium. Lineup: Kingdom Come, Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions, Van Halen. Need I say more? When Metallica came onstage, everyone started pouring onto the field from the seats, and security couldn't stop them. In the span of five minutes the entire place turned into General Admission. Halen was awesome, but I was the most pleasantly surprised by The Scorpions. They brought it.

5) Maiden: 2006ish? The Garden. So awesome. That band just loves to play live, and loves its fans. They really are (or seem) genuinely happy to be there playing for you. Eddie made a number of appearances, they played a ton of classics, just great. I loves me some Maiden.

As a music fanatic all I can say is WOW. :thumbsup:

2) Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood tour: Before they turned into asshats, in their prime when Vince was in shape and could actually sing all the words. Opened with the guitar 'motor' intro from Kickstart My Heart playing to a blank black stage, when the drums kicked it they rose up out of the floor to explosions. From that directly into Red Hot and then Wild Side. For Tommy's drum solo, he had a cage with a kit, surrounded by huge speaker cones suspended 50 ft in the air on a track. Rather than do normal spazzy drum solo stuff, all he did was play along with classic rock/metal tracks that were cut together as the kit traversed the ceiling of the venue. It kicked ass.

Was never a Crue fan but that sounds like a helluva show.

As a music fanatic all I can say is WOW. :thumbsup:

It was my first concert. Noel Redding drank a half bottle of Jack Daniels during the concert, he kept in on his amp.

It was my first concert.

Do you remember the cost?

My first show was called Summerjam '77

Little River Band,Climax Blues Band,Head East,Black Oak,REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent all for $10.25 and concert t's were like $10,my how the times have changed.

Do you remember the cost?

My first show was called Summerjam '77

Little River Band,Climax Blues Band,Head East,Black Oak,REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent all for $10.25 and concert t's were like $10,my how the times have changed.

I think it was $8 in a 4,000 seat venue, we had good seats. I saw The Doors six weeks later for $4 in a 6,000 seat venue.

I remember as a kid, concert shirts were standard $20.

There was a lull in my 'adulthood' that I didn't go to shows, or go near the merch booth anyway.

Last show I went to (Big 4: Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax), I took a look - $40. Damn. That's a lot for a craptastic black T-Shirt.

Of course when I bought them as a kid, most of teh time they would shrink from XL to S in one washing and disintegrate shortly thereafter - maybe these at least last for longer than a few weeks.

Rage Against the Machine and STP on the small stage, Lalapalooza 92. Was awesome to see both bands with only 40-50 people, before they were known.

Sepultura w/ Ministry and Helmet, circa 92. Max went absolutely bonkers and the pit was a swarm of blood and sweat. Epic show.

Tool 96. Another amazing show at a small venue. Maynard actually looked at the crowd back then.

Primus x 10 times. I see Primus every time they're around here. They play one of the tightest live sets ever.

Muse 2011. Wife was pregnant with daughter. Muse sounds amazing live.

Lesser known bands...

Explosions in the Sky instrumental rock out of west Texas. Seen them 5-6 times live. Super talented musicians.

Killer Mike and EL-P [Run The Jewels] just saw these guys last week. First hip-hop show I've been to in 15 years. Sound was great and they didn't have a big hype crew on stage. Just Mike and Jamie spitting verses. Dope!

Pinback another band I catch frequently. Out of San Diego, CA. Really chill rock music.

El Ten Eleven instrumental rock band. 2 guys with a ton of pedals and sampling gear. Guitarist plays a 2 neck dual bass/guitar. Sounds like 6-8 guys are on stage. Dude rips.

Most of my concerts were back in the 80's

No real particular order

Y&T The keystone palo alto

Day on the green concerts Oakland coliseums Foreigner headlined

Heart concord pavilion

Ac/Dc cow palace

Triumph cow palace

Rush cow palace

Rush shoreline

Fleet wood Mac shoreline

Van halen cow palace

White snake Santa Cruz

Metallica...And Justice for All Tour at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin...just freaking incredible stage set up...loud and raw and heavy...I was pretty young and went with my brother and cousins.

Smashing Pumpkins Accoustic set at the Ryman...cool, small setting

Foo Fighters early tour at 328 Performance Hall in Nashville (tiny venue...hotter than hell...bouncers were tossing water and ice into the crowd to cool people down as people were dropping left and right)

Boyz II Men...2012 Epcot. Just strolling through with the family when we noticed they were playing the stage by the American Pavillion. About a 30-45 minute show of their main hits. For free...food and wine festival was going on...so enjoyed a solid German beer while catching a free show.

MC Hammer...1990 Knoxville TN. Right after I had moved to TN from Wisconsin. Had a friend visiting and my brother was staying with us for that summer home from college since we just moved. Might have been the most people and the highest energy show I have ever seen.

New Edition...again 80s...summerfest in Milwaukee...great show still with Bobby Brown in the group at the time I think.

Metallica...And Justice for All Tour at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin...just freaking incredible stage set up...loud and raw and heavy...I was pretty young and went with my brother and cousins.

Saw them 5 times on that tour. :music_guitarred:

'86 - Journey / Raised on Radio tour. Last tour Steve Perry performed with the group.

'89 - Metallica / Damaged Justice tour. Actually went bcoz the Cult was opening - ended up loving both.

'89 - New Order / Technique tour

'90 - David Bowie / Sound & Vision tour

'88 - Elton John / Reg Strikes Back tour

Maybe the best time ever had though was catching The Fixx at a club in Dallas - prolly around '89. Stood right behind the drummer - was focking awesome.

I would say that hands down the best show I've ever been to was Woodstock 94. A couple of my favorite performances from there (not in any particular order):

Metallica

Blues Traveler

Collective Soul

Candlebox

Violent Femmes

Cypress Hill

Nine Inch Nails

Aerosmith

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Bob Dylan

Santana

Green Day

I've heard since that Alice in Chains was supposed to perform, but pulled out because of Layne's drug issues and that Johnny Cash was invited but declined because he wasn't being offered a main stage. Seriously, who the fvck wouldn't give Johnny Cash the main fvcking stage???

I remember as a kid, concert shirts were standard $20.

There was a lull in my 'adulthood' that I didn't go to shows, or go near the merch booth anyway.

Last show I went to (Big 4: Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax), I took a look - $40. Damn. That's a lot for a craptastic black T-Shirt.

Of course when I bought them as a kid, most of teh time they would shrink from XL to S in one washing and disintegrate shortly thereafter - maybe these at least last for longer than a few weeks.

I remember not wearing my concert shirt the day after the concert if there was school. You had to wait at lest two days to wear to school.

1-The Cult and Guns & Roses in 1988 at the Saenger in New Orleans. G&R was just making a name for themselves and they fawking kicked ass. And then The Cult came out and blew G&R away.

2-Janes Addiction at some dive in California off of PCH in 1989. Ferrel and Navarro lit bottle rockets and shoved them down their pants and french kissed at the end of the show. People were like WTF? Did they just do what I think they did?

3-Ozzy and Motley Crue at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans in 1984. It was Motley Crue's first big tour for Shout At The Devil and Ozzy was without Randy Rhodes. Everybody was wasted.

4-SRV at the Jazz Festival in New Orleans the year he died. He came out in an Indian Chief headress and played Texas Flood. I get goose bumpd thinking about it. He died three months later.

5-Cheap Trick in 1984 at the Worlds Fair in New Orleans. The had a small ampitheater that had good acoustics. When the show started we rushed the stage. When they were signing "Surrender" Zander threw sowmething in the air when he sang the line "Mom and dad were rolling on the couch. Rolling numbers, rocking rolling, got my Kiss records out." I didn't see him do it, but just as it got close to me, I reached up and grabbed it above my friend. It was a Kiss 'Destroyer' album with the bands autographs on the back and customized Cheap Trick guitar picks taped to the front.

6-Metallica and The Cult in 1989 at the Coliseum in Biloxi, MS. Did a few hits of x and at some point during Metallica's set I started finger banging a blonde that was a figment of my imagination.

7-Ratt and Quensrychce in 1987 at the Coliseum in Biloxi, MS. Queensryche blew Ratt away. It was obvious which band was going to make it really big. I got to the front row and tore a back stage pass sticker off of Stephen Pearcy's leg. At one point, I was getting crushed by the crowd and had to have two of the big black security guards pull me over the rail cause I couldn't climb over it. When they did, my jeans and underwear got stuck on a barricade hook and I mooned five thousand people untill they could untangled me. Brah.

8-Tesla and Great White. Tesla has two of the best guitar players and song writers in Rock. Great band live. Very underated.

9-The Texas Jam in 1984 at the Astrodome in Texas. Ozzy, Rush, and 38 Special. Ozzy was completely trashed and wouldn't leave the stage. He was running around the back of the stage where there was empty seats. He still had the microphone on and was telling the security guards "get the fawk away from me. I wan't to play for the fawking kids. I love the fawking kids." After the show, there was a Christian group handing out fliyers saying that Ozzy quit doing drugs and so should you.

It was the first time I saw Rush's light/laser show. I wasn't on drugs but I felt like I was.

10-Pearl Jam at Tipitinas in New Orleans. It was the tour for the 'Ten' album. They played the entire album.

Hard Line (Neal Schon side project) - tiny club in Omaha, NE that also had a pool room, bowling alley and Irish pub. Watching him play within 5 feet was surreal.

Arc Angels - same club as above

Jackyl and Ozzy - Omaha again, but large arena. I was completely f'd up and ended up with backstage passes somehow

Outfield and Night Ranger - just because i was in high school and they were my favorite bands at one point. Might have been the first concert I went to without my parents.

Def Leppard - multiple venues. Saw the drummer with both arms and with one arm. Great band and great performers. One of those concerts where you know 3 hours worth of songs by heart.

Kid Rock - multiple venues. Doesn't matter how old and non-current he might be...when that first note hits on multiple songs, it's like a bomb going off in the crowd. Titties, tattoos and weed everywhere.

Damn, you are old!

I've seen U2 like 5 times. Several good concerts, but seeing them at the SB in New Orleans after 9/11 was pretty cool.

Allman Brothers with Sheryl Crow opening was a good concert.

Black Crowes in a small venue was good

Saw a benefit concert in Orlando with a lot of odd groupings - Loverboy, Twisted Sister, Michael Bolton, Mark Farner, Robin Zander, Rick Derringer, Eddie Money. :huh:

Elton John/Billy Joel a couple of times

Saw Black Sabbath last night..that was pretty awesome. Lady next to me saw Kid Rock recently said it was phenomenal, and the guy with her raved about seeing the Marshall Tucker Band.

Twisted Sister, Dokken, and Y&T in 1984. 2nd concert I ever went to, 1st with just my buddies, we were 13. Took the train into Boston. Show was at the Orpheum. It was another world.

Lollapallozza 1994 at some airfield in RI. Beastie Boys and the Smashing Pumpkins. They were my 2 favorite bands at the time. Touring on Check Your Head and Siamese Dream. The Breeders were pretty great too.

System of a Down last summer. See this band live.

Tool around 2002.

Dinosaur Jr. in 2012 at the Paradise Rock Club. They played the entire Bug album. I was about 10 feet from the stage. OFF! opened.

Built to Spill at the Paradise as well. Stood in about the same spot.

The National at the Hard Rock Cafe in 2010 just as High Violet came out.

Modest Mouse anytime I see them.

Saw Black Sabbath last night..that was pretty awesome. Lady next to me saw Kid Rock recently said it was phenomenal, and the guy with her raved about seeing the Marshall Tucker Band.

Twisted Sister, Dokken, and Y&T in 1984. 2nd concert I ever went to, 1st with just my buddies, we were 13. Took the train into Boston. Show was at the Orpheum. It was another world.

Lollapallozza 1994 at some airfield in RI. Beastie Boys and the Smashing Pumpkins. They were my 2 favorite bands at the time. Touring on Check Your Head and Siamese Dream. The Breeders were pretty great too.

System of a Down last summer. See this band live.

Tool around 2002.

Dinosaur Jr. in 2012 at the Paradise Rock Club. They played the entire Bug album. I was about 10 feet from the stage. OFF! opened.

Built to Spill at the Paradise as well. Stood in about the same spot.

The National at the Hard Rock Cafe in 2010 just as High Violet came out.

Modest Mouse anytime I see them.

That was a great show. To this day I tell people how good that concert was and they laugh. Twisted Sister was a good band. "The Price' is a great rock song.

Metallica in 1989 at the Kellogg's Center Arena in Battle Creek, MI. And Justice For All tour. Queensryche opened.

I just won this thread.

'86 - Journey / Raised on Radio tour. Last tour Steve Perry performed with the group.

'89 - Metallica / Damaged Justice tour. Actually went bcoz the Cult was opening - ended up loving both.

'89 - New Order / Technique tour

'90 - David Bowie / Sound & Vision tour

'88 - Elton John / Reg Strikes Back tour

Maybe the best time ever had though was catching The Fixx at a club in Dallas - prolly around '89. Stood right behind the drummer - was focking awesome.

Do you still have the note I left on your desk a few years ago? I bet you framed it, didn't you?

Tons of great shows/memories being listed. Ah to be 17 again with no responsibility.

Thanks brah.

Also, remember when we used to hang out? Daddy misses you.

Metallica in 1989 at the Kellogg's Center Arena in Battle Creek, MI. And Justice For All tour. Queensryche opened.

I just won this thread.

I should have added Metallica and the Cult..Justice Tour. As much as I loved Queensryche then, I think I got ya beat. Love Removal Machine might be the best song I ever saw live.

Mayhem - You are a SMF!

I should have added Metallica and the Cult..Justice Tour. As much as I loved Queensryche then, I think I got ya beat. Love Removal Machine might be the best song I ever saw live.

Mayhem - You are a SMF!

Great song, but in terms of metal, Queensryche focking dominates The Cult. And back when I was 18, I was all about teh metal.

Metallica w/ Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Mudvayne Ohio Stadium, Columbus

U2 - Chicago

U2 - Baltimore

Pearl Jam - Cincinnati

30 Seconds to Mars

Korn w/ Linkin Park (headliner), the used, snoop dogg (horrible)

Aerosmith (3-5 years ago)

Mumford and Sons (Louisville 2012)

Bunbury Festival (this year) especially Twenty-One pilots and Walk the Moon

Muse (2013) Cincinnati

I saw Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in Houston at a medium venue. Can't remember what year it was. I think it was a tune up show for Lalapolooza or some other event they were doing that year. Once they played seperately they came out together and played a few songs from Temple of The Dog. It was one the few times they ever did that. Very cool show.