Sign in to follow this  
Canadianfan

David Wilson

this guy looks like a flat-out beast. I know that he's in a RBBC and won't be getting goal-line carries, but something tells me it won't last long. IMO this guy is the next BEAST runner, top 5 next year, and a 2k total combined yardage back this year. Is anybody else as high on this guy as me? I'm drafting him in the late 3rd/early 4th in every draft, throwing all my eggs in one basket. Opinions?

I think David Wilson can be this year's version of CJ Spiller, circa 2012. While Andre Brown will get his share of carries--and perhaps even the coveted goal line carries--I'm of the thought that Wilson will still be a formidable RB2 this year.

Expect to see quite a few back flips this year.

i like wilson alot ..but dont be fooled its preseason . and brown will get his full share of work imo ..and the tds .

Wilson is the man in NY. Brown is a plodder and may steal some TDs inside the 5, but Wilson will score TDs outside of the 5 yd line too.

I like him, but won't reach for him. Brown to me is still a threat to his production. I still have Gore, S Jax and R Bush ahead of him plus Deanelgelo Williams as all but Gore have no hard competition for playing time.

I like him, but won't reach for him. Brown to me is still a threat to his production. I still have Gore, S Jax and R Bush ahead of him plus Deanelgelo Williams as all but Gore have no hard competition for playing time.

i dont agree with williams but i do about the others amen brother

Here's the thing ... Brown is much better in pass protection. So, barring injury, he's gonna be in for a fair amount of snaps, including most of the goal line work.

Wilson is an electric player so he's got a fair amount of value just for that. But Brown is going to get a lot of work. I think it will be near a 50/50 split. Wilson is REALLY going to have to make his touches count. I think he will, but there's risk involved for sure.

I took him at the equivalent of 3.11, in my 2 keeper league draft this evening. He's my RB2 and I'm comfortable with that. Admittably, I've had a man crush on him since he played at VT. Planned to pick him a 1.3 in my Dynasty rookie draft last year, but Doug Martin fell into my lap.

Kid has got burners, amazing balance, and good vision. He just needs more experience blocking, since he didn't do it much with VT and the spread offense. I believe he'll do that, because he's a hard worker, with a strong desire to win. I'm not sure he'll be a top 10 back this year, but I also think he has tremendous upside. If all goes as planned, this time next year, I'll be dumping Chris Johnson back into the pool and keeping Megatron and D. Wilson.

• Like 1

I'm really up on Wilson but picking 11 of 14, I can't really justify taking him until the third and that's 39 overall - I am thinking there's a 50/50 he's gone by then. So done in my league always takes the shiny new toy pretty early.

There is no doubt he is electric, but he's also raw and his coach will bench him for one fumble or one big hit on Eli.

The typical risk/reward player, IMO. He could totally go off one week and the next only play a few snaps. Good luck with that!

There is no doubt he is electric, but he's also raw and his coach will bench him for one fumble or one big hit on Eli.

The typical risk/reward player, IMO. He could totally go off one week and the next only play a few snaps. Good luck with that!

No way. Those days are over. This year, he becomes one of the league's elite backs and Coughlin is smart enough to know he has to be on the field. I predict a top ten finish at RB.

No way. Those days are over. This year, he becomes one of the league's elite backs and Coughlin is smart enough to know he has to be on the field. I predict a top ten finish at RB.

Sounds like u drafted him to me...

I highly doubt Coughlin is going to change his coaching style at this point. He always has and always will put an emphasis on protecting the ball and his QB. I guy that has won 2 Superbowl's doesn't all of sudden change because he has a kid that can run a 4.4 forty yard dash. To think so, is ignorant at best!

• Like 1

I highly doubt Coughlin is going to change his coaching style at this point. He always has and always will put an emphasis on protecting the ball and his QB. I guy that has won 2 Superbowl's doesn't all of sudden change because he has a kid that can run a 4.4 forty yard dash. To think so, is ignorant at best!

Totally agree. Wilson has proven to be on a short leash. It seems to me that the coaching staff is aware of his talent but can be easily frustrated by his ability to handle the mental part of the game.

This years CJ spiller but on a better team. He is going to be a beast.

Exactly. Plenty of guys here who are missing the bus.

Targeted him in both leagues. Got him in one and missed out on him in the other. And I'm not saying he's going to get 100% of the work. I realize that he will be spelled by Brown and may give up some goal line carries to him, as well. But Coughlin was smart enough to realize that Tiki was too good to bench because of a fumble here and there, and he'll be smart enough to know it with Wilson. There are very few electric, home run hitters in the NFL with Wilson's flash potential. We're just starting to see the light now. This is going to seem like a silly conversation at this time next year when all the pre-draft talk will be people asking if they should take Martin out of the five spot or Wilson.

Targeted him in both leagues. Got him in one and missed out on him in the other. And I'm not saying he's going to get 100% of the work. I realize that he will be spelled by Brown and may give up some goal line carries to him, as well. But Coughlin was smart enough to realize that Tiki was too good to bench because of a fumble here and there, and he'll be smart enough to know it with Wilson. There are very few electric, home run hitters in the NFL with Wilson's flash potential. We're just starting to see the light now. This is going to seem like a silly conversation at this time next year when all the pre-draft talk will be people asking if they should take Martin out of the five spot or Wilson.

I don't quite seeing this happening for another season, if at all, but as a dynasty owner sure I'm on board.

Look at Brandon Jacobs a couple years ago. Dude was a headcase and got Eli blown up in the preseason. Yet his role with the team remained the same throughout the year. Coughlin didn't bench him to make a point. He allowed him to play his role and Bradshaw kept his role.

Same thing with Wilson and Brown. They have their roles. As much as FFers want to see these guys as 1 and 1a, the coaching staff has a specific idea as to how they will use them. If Wilson is absolutely awful in passpro, or he simply can't hold on to the ball to save his life, then yeah, Brown will start to garner more touches. But right now, Wilson is gonna see early down work.....just like Lynch.....just like Morris....just like Bradshaw in the past. He can still be ultra productive in that role.

You can teach pass protection and hanging on to the football. You can't teach talent. I think he's well worth a pick in the third.

I think I got Wilson pretty late in my draft. It seemed noone was wanting to take a chance on him so I got him in the 6th round.

Something about this kid that smells 'superstar in the making'...

The dude can run between the tackle and have that second gear that can take it to the house on any carry.

His risk is a round 3-4 pick, but the reward could be HUGE..

No risk, no reward, gents. You can continue sticking with the Gores and Jacksons and secure a middle of the pack finish in your league... OR you can take a risk on a hungry, young, insanely gifted talent such as David Wilson. In the court of opinion, you can find reasons to deter yourself from drafting the kid (i.e. apparently Andre Brown is really good - sarcasm). Ultimately, those who recognize him for his pure talent (rather than some loose assumption based on Coughlin's coaching legacy) will be the ones who benefit from the risk.

Fantasy football is the stock market my friends...and Wilson is the next big gainer that you wish you bought 3 months earlier. There comes a time to recognize the backs who have hit their crescendo and those who are primed for massive gains. Does Wilson's potential reward justify the calculated risk? Absolutely. If you're looking at a safe yeoman caliber player vs. Wilson, take the latter.

--

JBo

• Like 1

No risk, no reward, gents. You can continue sticking with the Gores and Jacksons and secure a middle of the pack finish in your league... OR you can take a risk on a hungry, young, insanely gifted talent such as David Wilson. In the court of opinion, you can find reasons to deter yourself from drafting the kid (i.e. apparently Andre Brown is really good - sarcasm). Ultimately, those who recognize him for his pure talent (rather than some loose assumption based on Coughlin's coaching legacy) will be the ones who benefit from the risk.

Fantasy football is the stock market my friends...and Wilson is the next big gainer that you wish you bought 3 months earlier. There comes a time to recognize the backs who have hit their crescendo and those who are primed for massive gains. Does Wilson's potential reward justify the calculated risk? Absolutely. If you're looking at a safe yeoman caliber player vs. Wilson, take the ladder.

--

JBo

Do you really think Wilson has MORE upside than SJAx....who churned in 1,350+ total yards on the Rams last year and is set to step into nearly 10+ guaranteed tds based on Turner's usage and history?

I don't and I love the kid.

1 bad pass protect or fumble and hes in permanent doghouse timeshare. Coughlin doesnt give a hoot about our fantasy leagues and brown could be as good anyway. Im keen to shy away from him but I dont doubt he has potential. Way rather have Sjax but maybe id lean wilson over Gore, even tho all gore does is produce year after year when we all doubt him and slide him further down.

Good point about SJax Matt, and let me better clarify. You'll have to pay more for S Jax than Wilson. Although I do believe SJax will have a great year, he is a 2nd rounder. Wilson does not have the track record but does have the potential at a round - round and a half later. Gore is definitely a better example to lean with in my statement, as he and Wilson have a closer ADP than Jackson and Wilson.

Fantasy football is the stock market my friends...and Wilson is the next big gainer that you wish you bought 3 months earlier. There comes a time to recognize the backs who have hit their crescendo and those who are primed for massive gains. Does Wilson's potential reward justify the calculated risk? Absolutely. If you're looking at a safe yeoman caliber player vs. Wilson, take the ladder.

--

JBo

Spoken like a true fantasy football sage. Can't wait to see post# 3.

• Like 2

one 84-yard TD and everybody here ready to go down on the guy. where were you all before saturday night?

My league rewards lots of points for 84 yard runs.. And head NFL coaches really love 84 yard runs.

• Like 1

Wilson got benched in the first game because of a fumble and a missed block, but stayed in the doghouse because he didn't have the first clue how to pass protect against the blitz. It was the right move to make when 1) RB in question is your #2 on the depth chart, and 2) your #1 RB is regarded by many to be one of the best blockers to play at that position in years. Bradshaw got injured the next game - no way were they going to put Wilson back in there at that point. But I never got the feeling it was a demotion to #3; it seemed more like a strategic move to give him a chance to learn to block, and they were basically forced to trust him more as the year went on. I'd argue he responded well. He still has some things to learn, but I think Coughlin had more positive than negative things to say about his development in pass protection late last year and this preseason.

I'm high on him this year because:

1. I think he'll be the consistent 1st and 2nd down back and that will be enough for high RB2 numbers

2. His burst from 1st to 5th gear is ridiculous. It's not his 40 time, which allows him to stay gone, it's the burst to the secondary that's crazy

3. Bradshaw took the time to teach him to block last year and you could see his blocking improve the last 4 weeks of last season

4. I don't think there's much danger of the doghouse this year. He's a MUCH better blocker than he was a full year ago. There's a difference between a missed block being the norm and being an anamoly. You don't get benched for weeks for an anamoly, and I think he's there now.

And of course I'd take S. Jax over him.

• Like 1

--

JBo

And for every hot stock that makes it, three don't. Thats the stock market and the true risks of "no risk no reward".

Its worth taking some chances, but with prudent evaluation of the risks and thats what many here are citing. There are obvious dangers and red flags here, so flying in and reaching for him to me is not smart.

Wilson's ADP is lower than Wilson's and I think most sane people would take S Jax over Wilson every time. That being said I managed to get him in one of my two leagues. He is my RB3 along with Reggie Bush (apparently no one trusts either of them which was helpful for me). So I've got those two to choose between my flex. Anyways, Wilson will be a legit RB2. The only reason I don't think he will be a RB1 is because he won't be getting the goal line carries. So a high RB2 is his ceiling to me right now. If he scores it will be carries from outside the redone. Still if there's a player to do that then it will be him

And for every hot stock that makes it, three don't. Thats the stock market and the true risks of "no risk no reward".

Its worth taking some chances, but with prudent evaluation of the risks and thats what many here are citing. There are obvious dangers and red flags here, so flying in and reaching for him to me is not smart.

Fair enough...yet the wealthy often times do lose money on investments during their path to riches. The difference: they have the bravery to take the risks that make them wealthy.

Do you really think Wilson has MORE upside than SJAx....who churned in 1,350+ total yards on the Rams last year and is set to step into nearly 10+ guaranteed tds based on Turner's usage and history?

I don't and I love the kid.

I'd have to agree.

Wilson only performs SJax if everything goes well for him and everything goes poorly for SJAX. Even then.... there are no guarantees.

however, I dont deny he has a lot of potential. He is one of the players I am targeting at this years auction.

I'd have to agree.

Wilson only performs SJax if everything goes well for him and everything goes poorly for SJAX. Even then.... there are no guarantees.

however, I dont deny he has a lot of potential. He is one of the players I am targeting at this years auction.

Good luck with that. His price in auction is probably pretty high right now.

If I had the first throw out I would put his name or there. Either someone is going to pay too much for him or you can get him for a bit of a bargain.

Something about this kid that smells 'superstar in the making'...

The dude can run between the tackle and have that second gear that can take it to the house on any carry.

His risk is a round 3-4 pick, but the reward could be HUGE..

Scratch that...he's now a 2nd rounder.

--

JBo

You almost sounded smart... albeit in a condescending, dooshy sorta way... until this.

• Like 1

You almost sounded smart... albeit in a condescending, dooshy sorta way... until this.

That's actually Wilson's nickname. David "The Ladder" Wilson.

• Like 1

Wilson is my RB2 in my first draft(8/20)...His value is now up thanks to Brown breaking his leg yesterday. My next league is on 9/1. I am debating on moving him up in my rankings.

LOL. Granted, I am writing these posts while creating contracts and dealing with customers at work. Cut me some slack kiddo!