Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

High school student gets frostbite during fire alarm

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A ninth grader says she has frostbite after standing outside for 10 minutes in a wet bathing suit during a fire alarm. It happened last week at Como Park High School in St. Paul.

On Wednesday morning the temperature was -5 degrees, and the windchill was -25. But Kayona and another student were warm inside. They were swimming as part of a health class.

"The alarm went off and I was like is it just a drill? Do I really have to go outside? And he was like no, we usually don't have fake ones in the winter," said Kayona Hagen-Tietz.

Kayona says she and the other student were rushed out by the teacher. Her classmate had clothes by the pool, hers were in her locker.

"I grabbed my towel and I walked outside and it was really cold," said Kayona.

"As soon as they saw her outside soaking wet and in her swimsuit, they should have done something," said her mother, Eva Tietz.

Kayona says a teacher eventually gave her a jacket and one of her friends gave her a sweatshirt to wrap around her feet. But due to school policy, she wasn't allowed to sit in a faculty-member's car.

"We kind of huddled up and made a circle around me and the other kids who were cold," said Kayona.

Eventually, a teacher did get permission to allow Kayona and the other student to sit inside her car. But, by that time Kayona had already stood barefoot and wet for 10 minutes in some of the coldest conditions of the year.

Kayona's mom picked her up and took her to the doctor, who determined she has frostbite on her feet.

"If I had a fire and brought my children out in that condition, I'm sure I would be charged in some way or another. If I didn't instantly bring them into a neighbor's house or someplace else. The ultimate goal is to keep them safe and protect our children and in this instance they did a really poor job,"

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/03/kayona-hagen-tietz-frostbite-fire-alarm/5997311/

Her nipples had to be rock hard. :o

Probably why her gym teacher pulled the fire alarm.

They don't call her Hagen-Tietz for nothin'.

So what is you point in posting this? You pull alot of this random out of nowhere. Do you have an opinion? Do you support the family, the school? First off, at my school we are informed of the fact that there will be a fire drill. Not the time , but we know the date. So if the phys ed teacher knew and was stupid enough to let them swim, shes an idiot.. And what kind of school has a pool. Must be nice.

So what is you point in posting this? You pull alot of this random ###### out of nowhere. Do you have an opinion? Do you support the family, the school? First off, at my school we are informed of the fact that there will be a fire drill. Not the time , but we know the date. So if the phys ed teacher knew and was stupid enough to let them swim, shes an idiot.. And what kind of school has a pool. Must be nice.

New to Phurfur?

Prepare for the wrath of a few others who rush to support him and his "right" not to actually give opinions about the crap he posts.

So what is you point in posting this? You pull alot of this random ###### out of nowhere. Do you have an opinion? Do you support the family, the school? First off, at my school we are informed of the fact that there will be a fire drill. Not the time , but we know the date. So if the phys ed teacher knew and was stupid enough to let them swim, shes an idiot.. And what kind of school has a pool. Must be nice.

Opinion? Phurfur? lolol He's a senile old curmudgeon. He can hardly remember to wake up in the morning. Opinion! lolol Not from that old geezer.

Opinion? Phurfur? lolol He's a senile old curmudgeon. He can hardly remember to wake up in the morning. Opinion! lolol Not from that old geezer.

Maybe the school administration is full of people much more informed about these issues than him, and thus he has no opinion.

This is what happens when you train generations of children to obey, and never teach them to think. They follow policy, no matter how stupid.

Yep. If I'm a teacher at Como, I do whatever I can to help keep that kid warm. I put her in my car...or wrap her in my shirt and hold her. Don't give a damn how it's perceived or if my actions aren't condoned by the school. At some point you have to prioritize what needs to be done....not follow rules.

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring Phurfur's angle....but this story is pretty cut and dry. His opinion is that the school/teachers are stupid and some kid got frostbite because of it.

You couldn't figure that out on your own? :unsure:

Yep. If I'm a teacher at Como, I do whatever I can to help keep that kid warm. I put her in my car...or wrap her in my shirt and hold her. Don't give a damn how it's perceived or if my actions aren't condoned by the school. At some point you have to prioritize what needs to be done....not follow rules.

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring Phurfur's angle....but this story is pretty cut and dry. His opinion is that the school/teachers are stupid and some kid got frostbite because of it.

You couldn't figure that out on your own? :unsure:

Phufur never offers an opinion. So why would I bother trying to figure out his angle? Maybe he's against the Parent who was making quotes that seem to be setting up for a lawsuit? Maybe he can't understand why a kid wouldn't have the common sense to grab her shoes and clothes? Phurfur is a senile, confuse, old man. I'm not about to predict his mindset on things. I was hoping he'd break tradition and offer it up himself. :dunno:

Maybe the school administration is full of people much more informed about these issues than him, and thus he has no opinion.

Quality :first:

Also I agree with FeelingMN that a teacher needs to do what's right in that situation. The playbook didn't have that scenario, you need to improvise. I don't blame the teacher per se but a general life rule is: do the right thing and things will work out in the end.

Phufur never offers an opinion. So why would I bother trying to figure out his angle? Maybe he's against the Parent who was making quotes that seem to be setting up for a lawsuit? Maybe he can't understand why a kid wouldn't have the common sense to grab her shoes and clothes? Phurfur is a senile, confuse, old man. I'm not about to predict his mindset on things. I was hoping he'd break tradition and offer it up himself. :dunno:

It's common sense for a kid to run into a locker room when there's potentially a fire?

I think it's more sensible for the teachers to put the kid in a car rather than making her stand outside in a swimsuit. That's just my take...independently attained without fock from Phurfur.

Why is it so hard to focus on what is posted rather than who posts it?

It's common sense for a kid to run into a locker room when there's potentially a fire?

I think it's more sensible for the teachers to put the kid in a car rather than making her stand outside in a swimsuit. That's just my take...independently attained without fock from Phurfur.

I agree with your take.

How many students have been killed in school fires?

How many students have been killed in school shootings?

Maybe it's time to stop doing the mandatory fire drills and do more shooter drills?

That is what you get when you waste money on a swimming pool for high school kids.

How many students have been killed in school fires?

How many students have been killed in school shootings?

Maybe it's time to stop doing the mandatory fire drills and do more shooter drills?

A total of 92 pupils and 3 nuns ultimately lost their lives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Angels_School_Fire

PEABODY, Mass., Oct. 28. -- Twenty-one children, most of them girls, ranging in age from 7 to 17 years, lost their lives today in a fire which destroyed St. John's Parochial School. Many other children were injured. The building, which was three stories high was without fire-escapes.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50F14FB395D16738DDDA00A94D8415B858DF1D3

The Collinwood school fire (also known as the Lake View School fire) of Ash Wednesday, March 4, 1908, was one of the deadliest disasters of its type in the United States. The conflagration in Collinwood, Ohio, a community that has since been absorbed into the city of Cleveland, resulted in the deaths of 172 students, two teachers and a rescuer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collinwood_school_fire

In my short time here I have learned that this Phurfur guy can't start a thread, or make a post, without Newbiejr following right behind with a juvenile remark.

It must make Newbiejr feel good, so who am I to judge.

In my short time here I have learned that this Phurfur guy can't start a thread, or make a post, without Newbiejr following right behind with a juvenile remark.

It must make Newbiejr feel good, so who am I to judge.

Seems newbie can't post much without you following him around to make some remark either...nor Worms.

Why is that?

Why do you care so much how those other people post?

SEems odd to supposedly be new to a board but do nothing but that your entire time here.

Seems newbie can't post much without you following him around to make some remark either...nor Worms.

Why is that?

Why do you care so much how those other people post?

SEems odd to supposedly be new to a board but do nothing but that your entire time here.

I'm not here that much, so I'm not able to "follow them around" as you claim. I do know that when I am here, you are like a puppy dog on a short leash following me around.

I comment on their posts when they give me an opening to make a fool of them........which is often. Why do I do this? Because they are the two posters who attacked me on day one of me being here. Has nothing to do with politics or anything else, just that. If someone wants to challenge me I say bring it on. I have said as much a few times, but you are slow on the uptake.

IGotWorms has figured out he is not much of a challenge to me and pretty much avoids commenting on my posts. Newbiejr hasn't yet figured that out.........and I'm not confident he will ever catch on.

I'm not here that much, so I'm not able to "follow them around" as you claim. I do know that when I am here, you are like a puppy dog on a short leash following me around.

I comment on their posts when they give me an opening to make a fool of them........which is often. Why do I do this? Because they are the two posters who attacked me on day one of me being here. Has nothing to do with politics or anything else, just that. If someone wants to challenge me I say bring it on. I have said as much a few times, but you are slow on the uptake.

IGotWorms has figured out he is not much of a challenge to me and pretty much avoids commenting on my posts. Newbiejr hasn't yet figured that out.........and I'm not confident he will ever catch on.

Yet you do.

Nearly every post you make is in response to something one of those 2 say.

Never giving an actual opinion on anything...just nitpicking what they say.

You don't make a fool of anyone but yourself.

Most will likely just ignore your crap realizing you are little more than an alias troll (most already have I think)

IGotWorms has figured out he is not much of a challenge to me and pretty much avoids commenting on my posts.

Yeah, that must be it :lol:

Yeah, that must be it :lol:

On my...................let me think for a while to figure out how to respond to such an intellectual response...

You may want to jump off the leash and on the bandwagon. :thumbsup:

Yeah...leash...thats it.

I thought about just ignoring you...but its become more fun to beat your into the dirt over and over and point out how foolish your posting is.

On my...................let me think for a while to figure out how to respond to such an intellectual response...

As if any of your responses on this board would be mistaken for being intellectual?

Quality :first:

It is as if his memory bank is a dry erase board. He has no recall of posts he made minutes earlier.

If I was a teacher I would have put the kid in my car. I don't care what the rules are. Commonsense tells you that this situation calls for breaking the rule. If I get disciplined for doing it, you better believe I would be telling my story to the media.

It is as if his memory bank is a dry erase board. He has no recall of posts he made minutes earlier.

Or he, like any reasonable person, realizes the difference between foreign policy and common sense to keep a teen from freezing?

Apparently he missed this.

Did not miss a thing.

Your question had no caveats on when these things were required to happen. If you don't like the response maybe you should pose your questions so as to get the exact response you are looking for. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to looking like you have no idea what you are asking.

Did not miss a thing.

Your question had no caveats on when these things were required to happen. If you don't like the response maybe you should pose your questions so as to get the exact response you are looking for. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to looking like you have no idea what you are asking.

You didn't answer his question: "How many students have been killed in school fires?" You just sited three stories where students were killed in three fires that occurred 106 years ago, 99 years ago, and 56 years ago. In the context of the thread, its obvious that he believes that fire fatalities to students are very rare. Rarer than students who get shot by whackos. In the context of his post it could even be construed as a rhetorical question. But regardless, siting three fires, that occurred before the widespread use of fire detectors, sprinkler systems, and codes that require fire exits and building materials that are more flame resistant, not only doesn't answer his 1st question but it provides no useful information to answer his last question: "Maybe it's time to stop doing the mandatory fire drills and do more shooter drills?"

Fire deaths ARE very rare at schools these days ( http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v8i1.pdf ) but one of the reasons they may be rare is that schools have fire drills. I believe some schools have drills on how to do lockdowns as well.