Sign in to follow this  
SaintsInDome2006

CJ Anderson

There's no thread on him and I'm thinking one might be needed.

From Aug. 2013.

C.J. Anderson continues to impress Denver Broncos at running back

Broncos running back C.J. Anderson is used to crowded backfields. In his senior year of college at Cal-Berkeley, Anderson ran for 790 yards on 126 carries, despite battling two other running backs for playing time.

The lessons learned from that experience have come in handy as Anderson, an undrafted rookie, tries to earn a spot on the Broncos' roster.

"Just be patient, stay in your playbook, know your assignments, know what to do and keep showing up," Anderson said. "When you get your opportunity in the game, perform, and things will get better for you."

So far, that method has worked well for Anderson, who became one of the surprises of the preseason when he ran for 69 yards on 15 carries in the team's first preseason game last week at San Francisco.

The Broncos' top three running backs — Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball and Knowshon Moreno — are all locks to make the roster. Anderson is competing with three other running backs to earn a spot on the team. Though the odds are long, his standout performance seems to have given him an edge in the competition.

Although Anderson's carries against the 49ers came against second- and third-teamers, his performance has seemingly moved him up the depth chart at Dove Valley. Anderson worked with quarterback Brock Osweiler and the second team Tuesday and scored two touchdowns in a goal-line drill.

"Each one of these opportunities are a chance for them to get better, and he's taken full advantage of it. We reward performance," coach John Fox said. "He'll earn the time he deserves."

Anderson, who played the first two years of his college career at Laney College in California, said that he changed his mind-set and work ethic after his junior year at California, when he ran for only 345 yards on 72 attempts.

"My junior year at Cal, I thought I was already it, going to a big-time D-1 school and thinking you're the man already," Anderson said. "I never knew I had to put in the work....Coming in here, you have to work. If you don't clock in every day, you're going to be cut or your reps start getting limited, and I just don't want that to happen."

Now that he's grabbed the spotlight at Dove Valley, Anderson will try to continue his eye-catching preseason heading into Saturday's preseason game in Seattle.

"Fifteen carries for 69 yards, that's solid," Anderson said. "I'm the kind of player that wants 15 carries for 100 yards. I've got goals for myself and I'm still hungry, but I don't feel any pressure at all."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23853209/c-j-anderson-continues-impress-denver-broncos-at

right now, you take Hillman first. If you can't get Hillman, you take CJ. It is always a good idea to have Peyton's RB. Or one of them....if you have the roster space.

That's right now.

This is all very fluid and will play itself out over the next 2-3 weeks against a tough schedule of run defenses.... but then Ball will be back.

(because DEN faces tough rough dsts, I'd much rather have the passing downs RB, which is Hillman).

There's no thread on him and I'm thinking one might be needed.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23853209/c-j-anderson-continues-impress-denver-broncos-at

LOL. Go get him .

That article is from 14 months ago.

I seriously doubt that Hillman will get a legitimate chance at the job. He's blown chances in the past. He's a solid COP guy. That's his role.

I'm guessing Hillman stays in his current role and either CJ or Juwan Thompson fills in for Ball. I don't think they'll be splitting carries evenly. Denver doesn't seem to want to do that.

Remember a couple of years ago when Willis McGahee went down and everyone rushed to pick up Hillman but Denver pulled a fast one activated Knowshon from the practice squad?

I am staying away from this situation. Don't trust that bill Hillman will be the man

I seriously doubt that Hillman will get a legitimate chance at the job. He's blown chances in the past. He's a solid COP guy. That's his role.

I'm guessing Hillman stays in his current role and either CJ or Juwan Thompson fills in for Ball. I don't think they'll be splitting carries evenly. Denver doesn't seem to want to do that.

Remember a couple of years ago when Willis McGahee went down and everyone rushed to pick up Hillman but Denver pulled a fast one activated Knowshon from the practice squad?

Yep, exactly.

I know the article was dated August 2013, the point was to remind people about the excitement about him last year in camp. He may finally be getting a chance.

I would be more impressed if the article was written from this year and not last year.

Yes, i remember it well. Just recently found an envelope with my name on it with $100 of my prize money for winning the league that year. Totally forgot about that money. Picking up Knowshon that year was huge!

I would be more impressed if the article was written from this year and not last year.

This is from 10/25/13 Rotoworld:

An undrafted rookie out of Cal, Anderson rushed 15 times for 69 yards (4.6 YPC) in Denver's preseason opener before suffering a right MCL sprain in practice that cost him the rest of camp. The Broncos still kept him on the 53-man roster, which speaks volumes about how high they are on Anderson. They were not willing to subject him to waivers. Anderson ran a solid 4.53 forty-yard dash at Cal's March Pro Day, weighing in at a muscle-bound 5-foot-8 and 224 pounds.

The Bronocs kept him even though he sprained his MCL last year, they believe in the guy.

Also when Ball had fumbling problems last November, it was CJA who came in, not Hillman.

5/18/14 RW:

Broncos OC Adam Gase considers the team's No. 2 running back job "wide open" for competition.

Montee Ball appears locked in as the starter. C.J. Anderson is the favorite for No. 2 duties after finishing last season ahead of Ronnie Hillman on the depth chart, though Hillman hasn't been entirely ruled out.

6/4/14 Denver Post:

It looks like C.J. Anderson is a serious threat to Ronnie Hillman for the No. 2 running back spot behind Montee Ball.

7/31/14 RW:

C.J. Anderson has dropped his weight from 234 pounds at minicamp to roughly 215 pounds now.

Anderson was reportedly sluggish during the offseason program, and people within the Broncos thought he wouldn't keep a roster spot at that weight. So now he's slimmed down and is looking like he did last year, when he made the squad as UDFA. Anderson is our favorite Montee Ball handcuff as long as he beats out Juwan Thompson and Brennan Clay. Ronnie Hillman is a change-of-pace back.

8/3/14 RW:

C.J. Anderson is running with the second-team offense.

Ronnie Hillman is working with the ones as the change-of-pace complement to clear-cut feature back Montee Ball. We still prefer Anderson as Ball's handcuff. In the event of an injury, Anderson projects to get the touchdown opportunities and inside work while Hillman sticks in his speed-based outside role.

8/14/14 RW:

C.J. Anderson has been medically cleared after suffering a concussion in the Broncos' preseason opener.

He'll resume putting heat on Ronnie Hillman for No. 2 back duties in Montee Ball's (appendectomy) absence. Anderson was pretty clearly behind Hillman before the injury, but is a better option to handle early-down and goal-line work.
8/28/14 RW:

C.J. Anderson will play in Thursday's preseason finale, but Ronnie Hillman will rest.

It confirms what we've seen all preseason: An improved Hillman is ahead of Anderson on the depth chart. It's not a priority handcuff situation as the Broncos would turn to a committee if anything happened to Montee Ball. Hillman is essentially the first-team change-of-pace back, while Anderson is the second-team inside runner.

What all that means to me is that Hillman is the change of pace 3rd down guy, CJA is the 1st & 2nd down and goalline guy.

I will add that Hillman is 195 pounds, not only is there an issue with wear and tear, but there is also an issue with fumbles and protecting Manning. CJA brings 215 pounds abd he can wear on a defense, he has been awaiting his chance and the broncs have been holding him.

The Broncos are most likely going to blow the Jets out and there will be a lot of carries.

And if you look at weeks 1-3 it was CJA who came in to spell Ball, he had the 2nd most carries in each game. CJA was held out of week 5 because Denver wanted an extra CB for the game and CJA does not play special teams. It could be a committee, but CJA looks like he may be the early down and GL choice. Juwan Thompson also left the game with a knee injury, if he is out too that only helps CJA more.

I dunno. Hillman definitely looked capable of being the 1st and 2nd down guy on Sunday.

Not saying CJ Anderson doesnt have a chance here but I think Hillman gets first crack at the job while Ball is away. Not that I care what happens, I have them both. Well, I do hope it's not full blown RBBC...

This is from 10/25/13 Rotoworld:

The Bronocs kept him even though he sprained his MCL last year, they believe in the guy.

Also when Ball had fumbling problems last November, it was CJA who came in, not Hillman.

5/18/14 RW:

6/4/14 Denver Post:

7/31/14 RW:

8/3/14 RW:

8/14/14 RW:

8/28/14 RW:

There's also this from 8/9/2014:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/8/9/5986537/montee-ball-on-the-mend-thompson-takes-first-team-reps

Which has Thompson taking all the first team snaps.

Trying to bolster a point in ff from articles months or years ago is nonsense. Each team is in a fluid situation, and what they thought of a player yesterday can be dramatically different than even a month ago.

I have been impressed with Anderson in his limited snaps and think he has a very good chance to produce at least equal value to Hillman while Ball is out. But he's just a back of the bench flier right now.

There's also this from 8/9/2014:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/8/9/5986537/montee-ball-on-the-mend-thompson-takes-first-team-reps

Which has Thompson taking all the first team snaps.

Trying to bolster a point in ff from articles months or years ago is nonsense. Each team is in a fluid situation, and what they thought of a player yesterday can be dramatically different than even a month ago.

And if you read that article you will see:

CJ Anderson continues to experience concussion symptoms after suffering a concussion in Thursday night's game.

So Ball was out with the appendectomy and Anderson was out with the concussion, then Thompson stood in for 1st team reps.

Hillman isn't even mentioned in the article.

Have him out of desperation with Bush hurt (and sucking) and PT on a bye.

Its between he and Shonn Greene to pick up the slack this week.

Anderson probably has a higher ceiling...but I think I need to take the safer bet right now with Greene this week against Jax. Hoping to sneak out 9 points and move on.

So I am thinking if Ball got hurt on last play and Hillman was not used last week, nobody would have rushed for Hillman?

I would say CJ is the guy to own but Hillman is the guy next week against a tough Jets run D. Figure CJ is the guy 1-2 down with Hillman on passing situations. CJ has a chance to pull a Moreno and just flat out take the starting gig over with a few good weeks. As Ball has been awful all season and on occasion CJ has at least with the eye test looked a lot better

A lot has changed since August OP...

Hillman is the guy to target (for now).

I was able to get Hillman for about 200 bucks and then to my surprise Anderson was sitting on the wire this morning so I grabbed him as well. That being said I'd sure Juwuan is the one to own.

I was able to get Hillman for about 200 bucks and then to my surprise Anderson was sitting on the wire this morning so I grabbed him as well. That being said I'd sure Juwuan is the one to own.

I'll believe it when I see it...

I'm gonna grab Hillman for now.

I'm staying away. To many variables.

By the time Denver figures out who is best between Hillmam, Anderson, and Thompson in the next couple games, Monte Ball will be back.

Sheesh. Sounds like a clusterfock to me. I guess one of em' will pan out. So good luck on that 4 sided dice roll.

I'm staying away. To many variables.

By the time Denver figures out who is best between Hillmam, Anderson, and Thompson in the next couple games, Monte Ball will be back.

Sheesh. Sounds like a clusterfock to me. I guess one of em' will pan out. So good luck on that 4 sided dice roll.

I think people are over-thinking this. Ball went down, they immediately went to Hillman who was productive with the carries he got. As long as he holds up in pass protection (which is probably the #1 job for any Denver RB) and doesn't put the ball on the turf, he should keep getting the bulk of the carries. They may work Anderson back in, but they're not all of a sudden going to take a guy coming off a concussion to be the feature back and hand him the ball 20 times. Same thing with Thompson, sure he got a shot and found the endzone, but his carries will be limited.

What all that means to me is that Hillman is the change of pace 3rd down guy, CJA is the 1st & 2nd down and goalline guy.

I will add that Hillman is 195 pounds, not only is there an issue with wear and tear, but there is also an issue with fumbles and protecting Manning. CJA brings 215 pounds abd he can wear on a defense, he has been awaiting his chance and the broncs have been holding him.

The Broncos are most likely going to blow the Jets out and there will be a lot of carries.

And if you look at weeks 1-3 it was CJA who came in to spell Ball, he had the 2nd most carries in each game. CJA was held out of week 5 because Denver wanted an extra CB for the game and CJA does not play special teams. It could be a committee, but CJA looks like he may be the early down and GL choice. Juwan Thompson also left the game with a knee injury, if he is out too that only helps CJA more.

Not disagreeing with your logic, but I thought the same with Justin Forsett. Too small to be lead back. With Bernard Pierce returning and Taliaferro's breakout, I thought Forsett was going to be 3rd down back so I dropped him.

One week later, he's the starter and getting majority of snaps. :wall:

One of the Broncos rbs will emerge, but it's roulette at this point at who it will be. But unless your league is slow or you have #1 waiver priority, it can't wait and see. Pick someone and hope for best. Remember no signs in preseason pointed to Moreno being starter last year. I hate these situations.

• Like 1

Broncos QB Peyton Manning made it clear that Ronnie Hillman will step in as the lead back with Montee Ball out. "We're counting on him," Manning said.

I drafted Mike Anderson the last pick of the 2nd round in 2005.

Nearly everyone at the draft chuckled.

1200+ yards and 13 TDs

I got the last laugh.

Oh, that's not the Anderson you're talking about?

• Like 1

Broncos QB Peyton Manning made it clear that Ronnie Hillman will step in as the lead back with Montee Ball out. "We're counting on him," Manning said.

excellent

I drafted Mike Anderson the last pick of the 2nd round in 2005.

Nearly everyone at the draft chuckled.

1200+ yards and 13 TDs

I got the last laugh.

Oh, that's not the Anderson you're talking about?

You're old

You're old

I remember when he broke onto the scene out of nowhere in 2000.

Broncos had an awesome run of backs.

TD

Gary

Anderson

Portis

Droughns

Bell

I remember when he broke onto the scene out of nowhere in 2000.

Broncos had an awesome run of backs.

TD

Gary

Anderson

Portis

Droughns

Bell

That zone blocking run scheme they ran to perfection. Now that O-line can't run block worth a sh1t. :thumbsdown:

- Hillman in ppr, for now :dunno:

in the two leagues CJ was available in ... he went unclaimed in one (so i scooped once he cleared), and was won faab for $16 ($200) in another ( Hillman went for $154 ) :shocking: :shocking: - CJ getting dissed up in there

Juwana Mama gettin' zero burn - still dangling :music_guitarred:

That zone blocking run scheme they ran to perfection. Now that O-line Monte Hall can't run block worth a sh1t. :thumbsdown:

fixed

It's gonna be either Hillman or CJ and it all depends on pass protection mainly. They aren't gonna rotate that much bc manning audibles so much. Might as well hold onto whichever one you have until the dust clears. They HAVE to establish a run game or they definitely won't make the super bowl again and everyone in that organization knows that. And up until now they haven't so obviously Ball isn't the answer. I think they give these two guys fair share of reps over next couple of weeks to figure out. IMO they have been trying to give Hillman that job for last couple seasons so my money is on CJ, but he is also the one I own

They aren't gonna rotate that much bc manning audibles so much.

5'10" 195 lb Hillman

5'8" 224 CJA

5'11" 225 Thompson

5'10" 215 MBall

5'11" 218 Moreno

5'9" 224 LBall

I was actually surprised that Hillman was that tall.

You tell me which guy Manning would least like to see covering his blindside.

5'10" 195 lb Hillman

5'8" 224 CJA

5'11" 225 Thompson

5'10" 215 Ball

5'11" 218 Moreno

I was actually surprised that Hillman was that tall.

You tell me which guy Manning would least like to see covering his blindside.

So why not just find the largest RB FA and sign him because clearly size is the most important factor in playing with Peyton.

You think 15 lbs is the difference between good blitz pickup and a sack? It's about knowledge and responsibility... and some balls to stand there and take on a LB.

So why not just find the largest RB FA and sign him because clearly size is the most important factor in playing with Peyton.

You think 15 lbs is the difference between good blitz pickup and a sack? It's about knowledge and responsibility... and some balls to stand there and take on a LB.

Well actually Anderson and Thompson were free agents. Moreno, Montee Ball and Lance Ball (5'9" 224 lb btw) all were the primary backs in that offense. Hillman may have improved as a blocker and ballhandler too but there aren't too many 195 pound primary backs playing in high tempo, pass oriented offenses in the NFL. They are the change of pace back all the time though. Even Reggie Bush is 205. Bernard is 208. They both share time with Joique Bell and Jeremy Hill but at any rate even Bush and Bernard have 10+ lbs on Hillman. Maybe Forsett 5'8", 197, but he also is in a 3-way RBBC right now. Of course he is only in that situation because Ray Rice went away.

Well actually Anderson and Thompson were free agents. Moreno, Montee Ball and Lance Ball (5'9" 224 lb btw) all were the primary backs in that offense. Hillman may have improved as a blocker and ballhandler too but there aren't too many 195 pound primary backs playing in high tempo, pass oriented offenses in the NFL. They are the change of pace back all the time though. Even Reggie Bush is 205. Bernard is 208. They both share time with Joique Bell and Jeremy Hill but at any rate even Bush and Bernard have 10+ lbs on Hillman. Maybe Forsett 5'8", 197, but he also is in a 3-way RBBC right now. Of course he is only in that situation because Ray Rice went away.

Hillman at the combine was 5'9" 200lbs. Your numbers aren't even right and my point remains the same. If Hillman does or does not get the job it has nothing to do with size. .. It will be because he knows blitz pickup or he doesn't.

The majority of players gain weight through their careers especially in the first few as many are still filling out as 21 year old kids.

Edit: I also noticed you managed to add weight totals to combine numbers for the guys who helped prove your point yet you dropped the numbers of Hillman?